Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2021 3:01:46 PM EDT
I like the red dot for fun 25-50 yard plinking, but with ammo prices where they are and the 5000 22lr rounds I have I want to put some distance in with this 10/22

Whats a good quality option for mounting a scope on the 10/22 take-down?

Also looking for a 1-6x scope option (less important, plenty of options)

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put the EGW Picatinny base on my take-down. $23 from Midway. Attaches cleanly and firmly, and allows mounting of most picatinny-type rings. Note it's relatively short if you get the version for the take-down so it doesn't interfere with disassembly - the standard 10/22 base cantilevers past the front of the receiver - so you need to take that into account with your ring spacing or your mount you choose.

I used an ADM mount for my scope and that interfaced solidly and repeatedly with the EGW base.

LPVO - a huge variety available - depends largely on your budget and your desired options.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just put the EGW Picatinny base on my take-down. $23 from Midway. Attaches cleanly and firmly, and allows mounting of most picatinny-type rings. Note it's relatively short if you get the version for the take-down so it doesn't interfere with disassembly - the standard 10/22 base cantilevers past the front of the receiver - so you need to take that into account with your ring spacing or your mount you choose.

I used an ADM mount for my scope and that interfaced solidly and repeatedly with the EGW base.

LPVO - a huge variety available - depends largely on your budget and your desired options.
View Quote

Do you mind finding that ADM mount for me? Cant seem to find it, and since I already ordered the wrong base lol, thanks foo the EGW suggestion
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The mount is going to depend on several factors - diameter of scope tube, height of scope mount desired, etc., so hard to point out a single one.

I happened to use an ADM (American Defense Mfg) mount on the scope I sighted in yesterday - not mentioning the particular mount here as it came with a high end thermal scope I recently got, which is probably not what you're looking for (but I can now rule my neighborhood as I also just got in the Ruger Integrally Suppressed Barrel (ISB) fore end ). ADM and LaRue both make extremely repeatable cam lock scope mounts - I've done testing with swapping out of scopes in both an ADM and a LaRue every 3 shots and kept 30 rounds inside of 1" at 100 yards after 10 swaps. This was with a rifle that could hold 1/3MOA, so the mounts were repeatable enough to where I feel confident with them now.

So - back to the subject at hand - the ADM or LaRue (or - insert your favorite brand here, but I'm personally confident in the two I've mentioned) are if you want to be able to quickly swap optics reliably. As I also have a red dot in a QD mount for this 10/22, I want to be able to swap back and forth without having to worry about rezeroing each time. I was going to recommend a particular LaRue mount if it fit your needs, but I see the introductory price is no longer offered so you're now looking in the $200+ range. So look over ADM and LaRue mounts to see if they fit your needs - most will sit a typical scope more at an AR height, which may be higher than you want for a 10/22 - the take-down I'm using my thermal on has the stock that matches the ISB fore end, so it has replaceable cheekpieces to adjust the comb height if need be. If I were trying to mount a scope at a lower height, I'd look at the individual ring setups - any number of reputable companies make good ones. Consistent torquing of cross-bolt rings will also give you exceptional repeatability if there's not a cam lock option - I keep a torque wrench in my drag bag with my precision bolt guns for use with my Badger Ordnance rings and don't have a problem there.

Hope that non-answer helps you - I'd have to know your stock, your desired scope dimensions (tube diameter, objective lens diameter, eye relief, etc.) to give a specific recommendation. Would be happy to help there - either post here or email me.

A good takeaway going back to my previous post is I was happy with the EGW base as it readily accepts Picatinny-style mounts, which opens up the use of any Picatinny or Weaver interfacing rings/mounts. With previous factory Ruger 10/22s over the years the bases available wouldn't do that (as Picatinny wasn't defined yet) - the slots were too narrow, the dovetail was too shallow, etc.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The mount is going to depend on several factors - diameter of scope tube, height of scope mount desired, etc., so hard to point out a single one.

I happened to use an ADM (American Defense Mfg) mount on the scope I sighted in yesterday - not mentioning the particular mount here as it came with a high end thermal scope I recently got, which is probably not what you're looking for (but I can now rule my neighborhood as I also just got in the Ruger Integrally Suppressed Barrel (ISB) fore end ). ADM and LaRue both make extremely repeatable cam lock scope mounts - I've done testing with swapping out of scopes in both an ADM and a LaRue every 3 shots and kept 30 rounds inside of 1" at 100 yards after 10 swaps. This was with a rifle that could hold 1/3MOA, so the mounts were repeatable enough to where I feel confident with them now.

So - back to the subject at hand - the ADM or LaRue (or - insert your favorite brand here, but I'm personally confident in the two I've mentioned) are if you want to be able to quickly swap optics reliably. As I also have a red dot in a QD mount for this 10/22, I want to be able to swap back and forth without having to worry about rezeroing each time. I was going to recommend a particular LaRue mount if it fit your needs, but I see the introductory price is no longer offered so you're now looking in the $200+ range. So look over ADM and LaRue mounts to see if they fit your needs - most will sit a typical scope more at an AR height, which may be higher than you want for a 10/22 - the take-down I'm using my thermal on has the stock that matches the ISB fore end, so it has replaceable cheekpieces to adjust the comb height if need be. If I were trying to mount a scope at a lower height, I'd look at the individual ring setups - any number of reputable companies make good ones. Consistent torquing of cross-bolt rings will also give you exceptional repeatability if there's not a cam lock option - I keep a torque wrench in my drag bag with my precision bolt guns for use with my Badger Ordnance rings and don't have a problem there.

Hope that non-answer helps you - I'd have to know your stock, your desired scope dimensions (tube diameter, objective lens diameter, eye relief, etc.) to give a specific recommendation. Would be happy to help there - either post here or email me.

A good takeaway going back to my previous post is I was happy with the EGW base as it readily accepts Picatinny-style mounts, which opens up the use of any Picatinny or Weaver interfacing rings/mounts. With previous factory Ruger 10/22s over the years the bases available wouldn't do that (as Picatinny wasn't defined yet) - the slots were too narrow, the dovetail was too shallow, etc.
View Quote

Awesome answer thank you!! I'm on my phone but if I have any questions when I get back ill let you know, appreciate it!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top