Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2018 5:29:18 PM EDT
Looking to put together a short and light 10/22 for my son so he can shoot some steel challenge.  Looking for something that's as short and light as possible and need ideas on barrel and stock options.

For the stock I'd like a factory profile with a short of length of pull.  I'd like it to be as light as possible so polymer?

For the barrel I'm trying to decide if a factory profile or a tensioned barrel is lighter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There should be plenty of factory takeoff word stocks and barrels in EE, usually for pretty reasonable prices.  Cut the stock down to a shorter length of pull.  And if you don't need a front sight you could always chop the barrel back to just over 16" to shave a little weight there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Try looking at the Tactical Solutions lightweight barrel coupled with a Black Hawk Axiom stock. Similar to this photo I found on the net.

The short trigger length of pull of the axiom stock is a huge advantage for kids.

Link Posted: 3/24/2018 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO.....

I'd go with the cut standard stock.  Hint: I frequently see take off stocks at gunshows for $15-20 with the butt plate, front bbl band/retainer and tension screw.   Your son will grow up in the blink of an eye and the next thing you know you'll want to replace that stock again.

When that happens.....
Put your old stock back on or buy that special stock.

As for the cut stock.....
You could just keep it for your other kids or forward it/sell/whatever to another family with young kids.  Or just keep it for your grand kids.  Either way......you'll make someone happy and/or it won't be like you're tying up all that much money.

As for the barrel.  That's up to your budget.  I'd want to keep things light (cheap way: keep factory bbl) as it's suppose to be a "youth trainer."   If you want to cut and crown it.....well, it's a small project.  But, you'll probably want a front sight.  Teach your kid to shoot with iron sights and they'll get the discipline they need for the future.

The trigger pull can be cheaply worked on with the installation of a VQ target hammer kit.  IIRC....about $35.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger had a distributor special with a short hogue overmolded stock and shorter weight 16” barrel -I had one for a while and it shot great. Honestly I have since purchased a  S&W 15/22 and it is lighter and better ergonomics. Plus you have the adjustable stock to make it short for now and longer as he grows
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I should of added that a friend is donating a reciever, bolt, and trigger group and that's why were going 10/22.

The blackhawk axiom is at the top of the list due to its adjustable stock and it's only 17oz. And it's on sale for $64.

I found 2 barrels in the gun room.

A factory profile cut and threaded 16" is 28.25oz

Factory 18" with open sights is 28.75oz.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
A tsi x-ring barrel is 15oz.
Volquartsen carbon fiber are 1lb 5oz.
Beyers ultralight factory profile  12oz
Beyers ultralight target 1lb 3oz.
Kidd ultra lite 1lb 4oz

Just for reference
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Ended up ordering the Axiom stock and the KIDD barrel. For the minimal price difference the Kidd barrel seemed the most respected.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the rifle put together this weekend.  Without optics of a mag in it, it came out to 3lbs 13ozs.  It's really light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top