Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2019 11:08:34 AM EDT
10,132 to be precise. Got the gun in January. I remain impressed! The gun has eaten a bunch of aluminum case, 2000ish rounds of steel case, and of course brass. I have had some malfunctions, but I attribute these to knock off magazines. Only my one 33rd Glock mag and 17rd Magpul never bobbled on steel case for instance. 3 ETS mags and a SGM haven't been quite as good. Still, well below 1% failure rate. Due to cost I've shot only half a box of HST +P, no issue. Few boxes 147g flat points AL case no issue. I sent the gun back to Extar around 6000rd for loose barrel. They admitted some guns went out around my time improperly torqued. Turn around was 9 days. Bottom rail screws have been a little problematic coming loose. The only wear I can identify is some plastic slight lengthening of the ejection port. Even today, specifying real Glock mags, I would load up defensive ammo and trust this gun completely.

ETA This is a minimum round count. I shoot in my back yard and it's probable that I forgot to record every time I shot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, cleaning was performed about every 1000 rounds, whether or not it was needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Dwarfs my 2600 or so rounds but I’ve had the same experience. I’ve been debating on trying steel but hearing your success I’ll try it. About 250 HST through it with 0 failures, it has now become my bedside weapon due to the fact my wife has no problems using it if necessary but is hesitant to grab the AR. Really only thing I wish is I could put either a folder or different brace on it, like everyone else. Guess if I’m nitpicking I wish it had a heat shield too...
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dwarfs my 2600 or so rounds but I’ve had the same experience. I’ve been debating on trying steel but hearing your success I’ll try it. About 250 HST through it with 0 failures, it has now become my bedside weapon due to the fact my wife has no problems using it if necessary but is hesitant to grab the AR. Really only thing I wish is I could put either a folder or different brace on it, like everyone else. Guess if I’m nitpicking I wish it had a heat shield too...
View Quote
Take a look at my avatar pic. Its a New Frontier Armory SC upper, NFA Glock mag lower, and Dead Foot Arms Modified Cycling system short bolt and side folding brace. And it can be fired from the fold.

You CAN have what you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Take a look at my avatar pic. Its a New Frontier Armory SC upper, NFA Glock mag lower, and Dead Foot Arms Modified Cycling system short bolt and side folding brace. And it can be fired from the fold.

View Quote
Can't see crap. Got a higher resolution picture to post?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
How did you do the folder conversion?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess I don't see any problem with the brace, but then I've never used another one. Personally, I wouldn't spend 25% or more of the guns price for a different brace. The handguard on the other hand....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure, I can have anything I want to pay for. However your upper is almost the same price as the whole Extar. From a value proposition I’m quite happy with what I have. I have several higher dollar weapons but honestly enjoy shooting the Extar more. For $400 it’s really a great deal and my wife enjoying it is even better. (Except I burn twice the ammo lol)
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't see crap. Got a higher resolution picture to post?
View Quote
Workin on it. Check back later.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How did you do the folder conversion?
View Quote
If you are asking me, its the Dead Foot Arms side folding mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure, I can have anything I want to pay for. However your upper is almost the same price as the whole Extar. From a value proposition I’m quite happy with what I have. I have several higher dollar weapons but honestly enjoy shooting the Extar more. For $400 it’s really a great deal and my wife enjoying it is even better. (Except I burn twice the ammo lol)
View Quote
You are correct. And to be completely honest about it, if I had to build my AR9 at retail prices I would not have done it. I built it to see if it would work and it does, very well. I sold the Extar in 556 through the shop and people seemed to like it a lot. Can't recall anyone complaining about them in any way. Different strokes..................was just throwin out an alternative......
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you are asking me, its the Dead Foot Arms side folding mechanism.
View Quote
In conjunction with the Farrow Tech adapter/converter?

I don’t have an EP9, but my understanding is it does not take AR15 buffer tubes without an adapter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In conjunction with the Farrow Tech adapter/converter?

I don’t have an EP9, but my understanding is it does not take AR15 buffer tubes without an adapter.
View Quote
The Dead Foot Arms device is available as follows:

complete kit with modified bolt, springs, and side folder mechanism

or you can order just the modified bolt assembly with no provision for a brace etc.

or if you already have the bolt system you can order the hinge separately.

While spendy, IMHO it is the best system for side folding on the market.

That being said I will clarify..... I do not generally ascribe to the school of "the best" of anything. Rather my comment to that effect applies only to me in that the DFA system WORKS BEST FOR ME, as I am using it. Must be consistent you know, lest someone come along to argue

@chewbacca

ETA not familiar with the device you mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought the receiver doesn’t accept AR buffer tube.... I guess I’m wrong
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought the receiver doesn’t accept AR buffer tube.... I guess I’m wrong
View Quote
The Extar doesn't. Thread has gone a bit sideways.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for the diversion, was just trying to answer the question I thought I was being asked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry for the diversion, was just trying to answer the question I thought I was being asked.
View Quote
No problem at all. Just pointing out that the folder discussion was about a different gun than my OP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Extar doesn't. Thread has gone a bit sideways.
View Quote
Jesus what the hell are we talking about then?

Is this real life?

——-

Back on target. That’s great the gun has made it 10k rounds. I want one, but would like to figure out a stock conversion. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm waiting on a stamp for a 9mm suppressor.

Thinking about selling my ruger PC carbine and getting one of these. The ruger is fine but add the suppressor and it is LONG.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Owning and shooting the Extar prompted my first suppressor purchase. I may even get to use it one of these years. I submitted before the guys who got the quick approval.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, is the charging handle recriprocating?  I didn't see it mentioned on their site, so I'm assuming it is recriprocating.  Do you have the folding charging handle or the standard?

Also, do  you know if the pistol grip can be replaced with AR15 style PG?  Their website sucks for info.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
NVM I found the answer about the charging handle and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
For those of you shooting the EP9 suppressed, what ammo do you recommend? My stamp finally arrived a few days ago, and I am looking for recommendations for both a suppressed range round and suppressed defense round.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know that it's better or worse than anything else, but I'm using Blazer 147g aluminum case. CGS Kraken suppressor.

Now have about 14,000 rounds through the Extar. Still going strong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know that it's better or worse than anything else, but I'm using Blazer 147g aluminum case. CGS Kraken suppressor.

Now have about 14,000 rounds through the Extar. Still going strong.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply, we have the same suppressor I will give the Blazer 147g a try.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I've always thought the Extar was kinda loud suppressed. I rarely shoot it without light ear pro. Yesterday someone else was shooting it . From 5 or 6 feet away I was thinking it really is quiet.

15,319 rounds so far, last 3215 suppressed. Still like this gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey.  Sorry if this sounds naive.  I'm brand new here, and doing my research on the EP9 because it hits all my bullet points for buying one.  But the whole suppressor thing really blows my mind.  I mean, I've been shooting for about 3 years now, and never suppressed.  I looked into it since I started considering the EP9, since I'd be using it for home defense mainly.  But suppressors are seriously expensive to use on a $400 setup, aren't they?  I mean, how do you justify the expense?  I guess if you have other firearms that can take the same can, I get that.  But if I do get one, it'd be just for this specific weapon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey.  Sorry if this sounds naive.  I'm brand new here, and doing my research on the EP9 because it hits all my bullet points for buying one.  But the whole suppressor thing really blows my mind.  I mean, I've been shooting for about 3 years now, and never suppressed.  I looked into it since I started considering the EP9, since I'd be using it for home defense mainly.  But suppressors are seriously expensive to use on a $400 setup, aren't they?  I mean, how do you justify the expense?  I guess if you have other firearms that can take the same can, I get that.  But if I do get one, it'd be just for this specific weapon.
View Quote

I justify the suppressor by wanting it. Suppressor cost $600 including the $200 stamp, so yeah, it cost more than the Extar. But, the can now has me justifying a more expensive gun one day soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've always thought the Extar was kinda loud suppressed. I rarely shoot it without light ear pro. Yesterday someone else was shooting it . From 5 or 6 feet away I was thinking it really is quiet.

15,319 rounds so far, last 3215 suppressed. Still like this gun.
View Quote
I'm pretty impressed by that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#29]
If you don't mind me asking, what can/mount are you using on your EP9? I just got my EP9 the other day and have an MGK 7 on the way, not sure how best to put it on though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, what can/mount are you using on your EP9? I just got my EP9 the other day and have an MGK 7 on the way, not sure how best to put it on though.
View Quote

CGS Kraken (now called Mod9). Direct thread with fixed barrel spacer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one when they first came out also and have approximately 3000 round count it is an extremely reliable gun and a blast to shoot I was going to buy the 10mm version also but I gave up on them ever getting it to market
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought one when they first came out also and have approximately 3000 round count it is an extremely reliable gun and a blast to shoot I was going to buy the 10mm version also but I gave up on them ever getting it to market
View Quote

It doesn't look like Extar ever got ahead of the demand for the 9mm. I've also noticed no progress on the 10mm or .45. The EP9 is indeed a fun gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top