Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2023 6:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new21022]
I know nothing about anything, and mostly prefer to keep it that way... but...

I was reading this site (https://nationalfirearmsact.com/nfa-regulated-items/) and it said that it isn't a destructive device unless it has 1/4oz of explosive in it. I seem to remember this, but how is that calculated cumulatively?

If you had a pyrotechnic device that had .249oz next to another, that's fine?

What if you had .249oz of a mixed tannerite stuffed into a container? Does that get into "storage" and is there a weight limit when considering magazines?

I guess I don't understand how they can put a weight limit on something that can add up quickly. Explain?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You are asking for a black and white answer in a GREY world where justice is a dumpster fire.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#2]
It's pretty simple.  If you have 1/4 oz of explodey stuff (or more) in your projectile, it's a DD.

There are other ways to have a DD projectile, but more than 1/4 oz of explodey stuff oz is one of them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#3]
Before you start playing with Tannerite as a charge, you may want to google.  There were some graphic pics of a gent’s mangled hand who used a 37mm grenade launcher to make his own “bird bombs,” using Tannerite & a mix of other chemicals.  I’m not sure what’s remains from his left hand, but it wasn’t much.

ETA:  Grog’s had the pics. Seems the website doesn’t exist.  Too bad—it was a graphic reminder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 32ACP:
Before you start playing with Tannerite as a charge, you may want to google.  There were some graphic pics of a gent’s mangled hand who used a 37mm grenade launcher to make his own “bird bombs,” using Tannerite & a mix of other chemicals.  I’m not sure what’s remains from his left hand, but it wasn’t much.

ETA:  Grog’s had the pics. Seems the website doesn’t exist.  Too bad—it was a graphic reminder.
View Quote

For the M203 a proper firing grip is one hand on the pistol grip and the other on the magazine/magwell. You do not want to be holding the barrel in the rare event something bad happens. I've seen those photos and that is precisely why. The other benefit is a much faster transition back to the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new21022] [#5]
You would have to be dumb as shit to put tannerite in a 40 or 37mm. No one is suggesting that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.37and40mikemike.com/Quick%20links%20page.htm

Under safety page.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as being “dumb as shit” this happened quite a long time ago, before a lot was known about that substance. Matter of fact, it was advertised to be safe for use in launchers... and the resulting lawsuit was settled. GROG
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new21022] [#8]
Grog, I am aware you know that person. I used dumb as shit as in we know that now.

As it were, was it possible to use that product in a safe manner, or was that always going to happen to someone even if they had followed other rules? I assume it was too strong of a lift change, combined with other factors. But man, I can not even remotely imagine that risk being worth that reward.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Some flash (and that’s what this is) is sensitive to shock. The shock of the bullet impacting flash is what sets it off. The flash can be so sensitive that the impulse of a lift charge can set it off. Not being the person who actually made the round, I cannot say for sure whether it was shock of launch, or some of the lift fire entering the payload on launch. Either way, the end result is definitely not worth it. Military rounds have various safeties built into them to prevent this sort of thing, and still, accidents happen. GROG
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:
You can own and store explosives in a magazine without a federal explosives license, but various federal, state, and local laws come into play.
View Quote

This line confuses me. I've heard (from reputable sources) that an FEL is required to store explosives/explosive material, period. And you (someone who I'd also consider reputable) contradict that statement. Is it a matter of grey area, both parties being right in some circumstances? Example: M228 fuzes? Black powder (under limit for the magazine)? Mixed Tannerite? Certain types of "explosive material" versus "explosives"? Intended use?

The deeper I dig into this topic, the more confusing it seems to become.
Top Top