Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2021 4:36:49 PM EDT
New to Springfield rifles.

I had my new to me 03A3 out for the first time, and had no trouble loading from clips.

When I turned the magazine cutoff on and tried loading a single round I had trouble closing the bolt on the single round.

What it seemed like is that the extractor was having trouble getting over the rim of the case, because no matter how much I tried to close the bolt, when I’d pull it to the rear it would not extract either.

If I slapped the bolt handle down it would close, and then there was no issue.

Is this normal?  Is it just expected to need to overcome the extractor tension more force is required, or something wrong?

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Well... evidently I'm full of manure and first post did not nail it this time!

Thanks for calling me out on the misinformation guys!  I just got my 03A3 out and 8 dummy cartridges and it single loaded them all effortlessly, multiple times.  As easy as my Weatherby Vanguard.

There's several lessons to be learned here.  

This is normal.

The Springfield 1903 and 03A3 are designed to be fed from the magazine and not just drop a single round in and close the bolt like a modern gun.  Always add the single round into the magazine so it'll slip under the extractor properly.

Failure to do so will damage the extractor eventually.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m glad I asked!  

Thank you for the response, I wouldn’t have known.

Should I be looking for an issue with the extractor after slamming it over the rim 5-10 times or so?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it just that round or all single loaded rounds?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m glad I asked!  

Thank you for the response, I wouldn’t have known.

Should I be looking for an issue with the extractor after slamming it over the rim 5-10 times or so?
View Quote

Probably not.  But check the lower edge in case the corner chipped off, just in case.  Damage would be chipping of the face or breaking, which would be pretty obvious.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

Yea I didn’t know if maybe it could get bent and not be as “spring”/less tension on the bolt or something.  

But if it’s just a chip/broken that’s much easier to spot! Lol

And yea it’s any single loaded round just thrown into the chamber, not fed from the magazine.  Now that I know that’s by design, I know now how to operate it correctly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is normal.

The Springfield 1903 and 03A3 are designed to be fed from the magazine and not just drop a single round in and close the bolt like a modern gun.  Always add the single round into the magazine so it'll slip under the extractor properly.

View Quote

I am confused. What is the cut off for then?

The cut off was to single load with a loaded magazine. The extractor is beveled on the front face to help jump the rim. The rifle was designed to single load, besides loading from the mag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The cut off was to single load with a loaded magazine. The extractor is beveled on the front face to help jump the rim. The rifle was designed to single load, besides loading from the mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is normal.

You know what?  You bring up a good point!

My own 03A3 has the same issue if l drop a round in and single load in the same manner as op.  In my research several years ago l found recommendations that l passed on to op.  But never thought to question it.

Or... is it the Maurer 98 that shouldn't be single loaded like that?  But that was one of the "improvements" to the Springfield rifle? Hmm... something to look into, l guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, I thought the hole point of the mag cutoff was to load the 5 rounds and then have the ability to leave those alone and hand load individual rounds until the mag was needed.

Bumblebees explanation supports my findings, but it does seem to contradict the function of the design

Is needing to slap the bolt handle down on a single round normal?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The point of the magazine cutoff was for single loading. The soldiers would shoot aimed shots at the enemy and if needed, the order would be given to turn their magazines on for rapid fire. I have a feeling that this probably didn't happen much and people had their magazines on. I would have to do more reading to know for sure.

All of my 03 rifles allow single loading and easily snap over the rim with little force. They also extract without issue. I would check for an issue in your extractor to see if there was damage, a bur, or some other problem causing a bind. As it loads fine from the magazine, I would think the bolt, receiver, and barrel are fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I single load my 03A3 all the time and the extractor easily snaps over the rim of a single loaded cartridge. I'm thinking there might be an issue with your extractor. That's an easy enough part to change though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Updated first post with new info.  

Thanks for calling me out guys!  I was dead wrong in my first post.

Maybe l am thinking of my 98K Mauser.  Seems l recall having the same problem as op with one of my rifles.  

I just don't have any dummy ammo for it and I'm rather reluctant to test it with live ammo in an apartment.  I may be stupid but l ain't crazy!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Ahhh well thanks for the correction bumblebee!

So should a single round load as effortlessly as loading from the mag?  Or will there be some resistance because the extractor needs to jump over the case rim?

If you should feel no resistance with the single round, what exactly should I be looking at my extractor for?  As far as I can tell it looks fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't ask me!  What do l know?!  Lol

There was a slight bit of hesitation as the extractor slipped over the rim but finger tip pressure on the bolt knob was all that was needed.  Nothing approaching the slapping with the palm heel like you're having to do.  

Is the extractor cut out in the barrel and receiver area clean? Or is there a build up of gunk and debris blocking the free movement of the extractor?  Might have a build up of old cosmoline and gunk in there.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok so now that I’ve taken a closer look it appears that my extractor is in deed in need of replacement.

If anyone wants to upload a pic of the bolt face with the front of the extractor showing that would help me a lot.

Mine doesn’t look very good but I have nothing to compare to(I can’t find a pic of the face of the extractor).

I also noticed that it’s gouging up all of the rims of the ejected brass.

I’m planning to pick up a new one, but an example of one of you guys’ would help confirm my suspicions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks bumblebee!

I think I see the exact problem, but can I ask you a favor.  Take one pic as if your looking directly into the firing pin hole. Straight on to the bolt face.

ETA....I’m just going to email you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine;

Yours;

The edge of yours looks a little rough/ saw toothy.  Mine is pretty crisp along its edge.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the pic help again!

And yep that’s what I was thinking might be the problem.  It’s getting “hung up” on the rim because the edge is so choppy.  

I ordered a replacement so we’ll see if that’s the fix.  Seems like the extractor must be the issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck!  Let us know.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top