Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 8/6/2017 6:12:07 PM EDT
I just purchased an 870 Tac-14 and I want to give it a new look.  Please post your pics, tips and sources for misc. of your little gun.   Thank You.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Modded mine wit a Mesa Tactical High Tube, ergo rubber grip added an AR pistol tube and shockwave blade.

kinda looks like this only with blade brace
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
OST

I have one in process.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
OST

Dremeled dimples
Wilson +1
Remington 870P synthetic fore end.

Whala!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OST

Dremeled dimples
Wilson +1
Remington 870P synthetic fore end.

Whala!!
View Quote
This is my plan + Velcro side saddle and maybe a bug head safety
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Replaced fore-end with Hogue
Swage out dimples and add +1
Factory follower from a Benelli M4

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is mine:     https://ibb.co/fe8uRa

I wanted an old school US Marshal "Witness Protection" gun.   I need to have a wood grip made next.  

I have a second one coming that I want to make into a modern US Army modular shotgun.....I bought a pic rail for it and am searching for the correct forearm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you going to get your grip made? I'm thinking about doing similar, but cant find a source for a wooden birds head grip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I honestly don't have a clue.   I was hoping someone would be cranking them out by now......sadly, I can't find but one source (ref. eBay) and you have to buy the forearm too ($169.00).

I am also looking for the MWS foreward grip.   Another hard one to find.  No source for that either.    http://imgur.com/c658ues
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wanted an old school US Marshal "Witness Protection" gun.   I need to have a wood grip made next.  

I have a second one coming that I want to make into a modern US Army modular shotgun.....I bought a pic rail for it and am searching for the correct forearm.
View Quote
Good luck trying to find the MCS forend.  I've been trying for years.  Remington won't sell them to us lowly civilians, only police and military.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Remington 870 Pistol-Grip Firearm
12.8" Barrel and 31.2" OAL
Ergo Tactical Stock Adapter
SB Tactical SOB Brace
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip
Hogue Tamer Rubber Forend
Tacstar Side Saddle Shell Carrier
Tru-Glo Brite-Site TFO
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If someone would make a pistol grip that was 1.5” longer than the TAC-14 factory grip couldn't you use the 12.5” 870 barrel? (so the muzzle is even with the mag tube cap)

...just one more variation to think about
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Suarez mount for the Trijicon. The
plus one & Magpul quick release
mount I also bought from Suarez.

The side saddle is from Brown Coat
Tactical.

I also added an S2-USA safety, set
up for left hand.

Primary SD load will be Fiocchi recoil
managed 00 buck.

John

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a TAC-14 a couple of days ago and already looking at 1 shell extensions.  I noticed that most of you that have added an extension have changed the fore end as well.  Was this just because you did not like the Magpul or does the Magpul fore end not work well with the extensions?

So far I have only fired a hand full of shells in it but I like it.  Shooting +P ammo out of my J frames hurts my hand more that the TAC-14.  Just wish the pistol grip had a little more curve to it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I just hated the Magpul forearm.  Hated it!   I picked up a old/used 870 corn cob wood forearm and after a little bit of "fitting" it works like a charm.  I like the "old school" look.

I bought a sling mounting point for the forearm today BUT do not have a mounting point for the grip area.   I don't know what to do on that end.  I cannot believe there wasn't a simple screw in point on the grip.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have any idea why people hate
the magpul forearms. I have converted
all of my AR's to MOE furniture. I like
their modularity.

My tac-14 runs just fine with that
forearm & the +1 I have.

I am going to run all managed
recoil 00 & slugs. It is a pleasure
to shoot with it & hits steel plates
with great authority. Foicchi is $6.79
for 10 rounds at Natchez.

YMMV BMD.

John
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I picked up a TAC-14 a couple of days ago and already looking at 1 shell extensions.  I noticed that most of you that have added an extension have changed the fore end as well.  Was this just because you did not like the Magpul or does the Magpul fore end not work well with the extensions?

So far I have only fired a hand full of shells in it but I like it.  Shooting +P ammo out of my J frames hurts my hand more that the TAC-14.  Just wish the pistol grip had a little more curve to it.
View Quote
I changed the fore end because it is ugly as hell and doesn't feel good in the hand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]

I bought a sling mounting point for the forearm today BUT do not have a mounting point for the grip area.   I don't know what to do on that end.  I cannot believe there wasn't a simple screw in point on the grip.
View Quote
I used increasing larger drill bits, carefully
marked to avoid drilling too deep. I installed
a Magpul quick release in the hole with a
fairly long self threading screw in the bottom
to anchor it in place.

John
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the responses.  A couple of the extensions I was looking at had a sling attachment and did not know if it would clear the Magpul fore end.

I kind of like the looks of the Magpul but it did tend to jump out of my hand.  I have some MLok screws on order and am going to try attaching a strap like the shockwave to see if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Scattergun Technologies has a nice sling attachment on a one shot shell extension that works great with Magpul handguards.

Brownells
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.  I will take a look at them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
- Swaged magazine dimples
- Wilson Combat one round mag extension with spring and high viz follower
- DD rear side sling mount
- velcro with SKD shotgun cards
- Streamlight Pro-Tac
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Swaged dimples (10 min simple job, tapped smooth without need for sanding)
Wilson +1 extension, follower, spring, vertical sling mount
Wilson 870P synthetic fore end
Sling stud in end of shockwave grip
Wilson Jumbo safety button
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I went with the Wilson Scattergun 1 shell extension.  I filed down the dimples and put a couple of coats of bluing.  

Also added the Wilson Dome head safety.  It is easy to press with my finger as I am going for the trigger but I have not shot it since installation so I do not know if it will be in the way yet.  Hope to shoot it this Sunday.

Have a sling and swivel but have not had a chance to install them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]
the MCS forend,

good luck on that...  I kicked myself for missing out on an MCS non NFA gun for $450 because it had the 18" barrel installed.  I was going to buy the whole gun just for the forend.

I am probably on a watch list just for calling Remington and giving the clerk the super secret squirrel part number for the MCS forend that required her to consult her supervisor in hushed tones like I was trying to order a nuclear submarine.

BTW, its not that great a forend anyway, its just the only good way to run a non pistol forend on an 870 with the shorter magazine tube and not pinch the hell out of your fingers.  I had one modded for my 10.5" 870 SBS and eventually got tired of blood blisters and bought the Safety Harbor folding grip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Preview:

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Is that a Salvo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is that a Salvo?
View Quote
Yup. @guncat (above) threaded the barrel for rem chokes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#29]
My barrel is going out to Vang Comp on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Since tac-14's come with magpul forends stock, how do people like them over something like old walnut corncob police forends? I've been thinking about picking one up for my police magnum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Heven't got mine yet, just checked it out at the LGS. No plans to change the forend, felt solid, it's begging for a small light.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I like my Magpul forearm.

I am going to try an AFG2 reversed for giggles,

John

Quoted:
Since tac-14's come with magpul forends stock, how do people like them over something like old walnut corncob police forends? I've been thinking about picking one up for my police magnum.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  A couple of the extensions I was looking at had a sling attachment and did not know if it would clear the Magpul fore end.

I kind of like the looks of the Magpul but it did tend to jump out of my hand.  I have some MLok screws on order and am going to try attaching a strap like the shockwave to see if that helps.
View Quote
I put a Wilson Tactical 1 round mag extension on my 870 TAC 14 and it works just fine with the Magpul hand guard. However, I did remove the sling attachment, it's held on with a c-clip and washer. It just looks like it will not come apart. Currently I am looking forward to getting it back from being Cerakoted.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Compared to an 12" SBS
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
WOW!  Look great - What is the report like from a 12 Ga with a can on it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
nice...let me help you with that image.

https://image.ibb.co/bREqzv/Full_Size_Render_11.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice...let me help you with that image.

https://image.ibb.co/bREqzv/Full_Size_Render_11.jpg
This...is beautiful! The wood really sets it off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just hated the Magpul forearm.  Hated it!   I picked up a old/used 870 corn cob wood forearm and after a little bit of "fitting" it works like a charm.  I like the "old school" look.

View Quote
What do you mean by fitting? What did you do to make it fit?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#38]
mine came in Friday , now to get my Wilson +1 mag
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Sad thing is you used to be able to buy them straight from Remington.  Now, it's impossible.  When I was at SHOT, I took a ton of pics of one.  One day, I'll find someone with the knowledge and equipment to 3d print me one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/U8mBlf1.jpg
View Quote
Whoa!
Wish it came like that stock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#42]
that's what I thought ,I took a late 70s walnut stock and cloned the grip on it originally , I wanted the 870wp look .
Birds head grip took about 1 hour to get ready for stain and clear .
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/U8mBlf1.jpg
View Quote
That is beautiful!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Tac14 by Bert Mosely, on Flickr

Rem 870 Tac14
14" Barrel /33" AOL
Knox Breecher Gen III Grip
SB 8" buffer tube
SB15 Brace
Tacstar 6 side saddle
Oversized Wilson safety- Will not work with this stock without modification
Wilson +1 mag tube, spring, follower
XS front night sight
AR buffer tube lock ring

The Brace.  Out of the box with the sling ring on the back, the AOL is over 26" so you could go with the pistol grip only and be compliant.
The 2" buffer tube from Knox as installed had RED Loctite on the tube and lock nut.  I destroyed the nut on removal.
The buffer tube install is straight forward but buy a new lock nut from above.
I originally bought the SB SOB.  My SB15 feels like the rubber is from Goodyear.  The SOB feels like the rubber is from a condom.
If the brace were to inadvertently hit your shoulder, the SOB would fold up quicker than the NRA on bumpstocks.
I do not have any contact with the rest of the SB line, so I would stick with the SB15 unless you can confirm that the wings are tight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Safety.  I know that I read somewhere that the Wilson safety would work with this grip.  It does not in stock form.  I am looking at routing the edge of the grip but have not done so yet.

With this setup, the check weld is good with the XS sight and would be even better if you go with ghost rings.

+1tube.  I drilled and polished my dimples.  Make sure to understand the wave washer(comes in kit) as the ratchet follower is now gone.  Just something new if you have not used an extended tube.

The only thing not done is a rear sling attachment point.  I wanted to get the tube together first.  I will most likely get one that rides at the lock nut.

If a Team Member would make the photo hot, it would be appreciated.

Limited to 2000 Char. also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked one up yesterday.   Just a hand stop so far.

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Added a corn cob from the parts pile, painted the ducks head to match.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Added a corn cob from the parts pile, painted the ducks head to match.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/ggllggll/20171007_173747_zpsirbxk0vl_edit_1507512329780_zpsyiyr3ech.jpg
View Quote
Very 70s cool!

I was pretty “Meh” on the whole shockwave/tac14 thing.

But this photo along with the 20 gauge Remington being released has changed my mind...
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Very 70s cool!

I was pretty “Meh” on the whole shockwave/tac14 thing.

But this photo along with the 20 gauge Remington being released has changed my mind...
View Quote
I thought the same thing, and the magpul front grip was a deal breaker.  Lucky though the corn cob works with zero fitting.  I've ordered a heat shield for it, should be here next week.

Total blast to shoot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top