Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2021 10:00:45 AM EDT
Paul Howe referred to OGS, where Rangers attempted to use Delta ammo in their Ranger M60s, but it would not cycle them due to the "lighter load." The Delta M60s were modified by the armorers to fire non-standard (unspecified) ammo. That is the second time that situation has come up in conversation. Does anyone know the particulars on that situation? Was the ammo used some frangible or raufoss variant?
 Anyone aware of what the mods were or what the alternate ammo was? I could see the situation presenting itself, with an M249 SAW, due to mag versus belt fed, but not with a 60. This forum is the closest I could think of, as there is no M60, Delta, or Mog forum.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for education.

Wonder if they upped the gas to run ammo from other countries?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for visibility, might want to post in GD.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just for visibility, might want to post in GD.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
WHAT INCOMPETENT, POMPOUS BETA, MASQUERADING AS A MOD, THOUGHT THAT THIS SHOULD BE A "HALL OF HEROES" TOPIC? PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF. A FORUM FOR HONORING SERVICEMEN AND SUPPORTING THEIR INTERESTS IS SULLIED WITH A TECHNICAL QUESTION? DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE POST, OR IS MILITARY SERVICE THAT FOREIGN TO YOU?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WHAT INCOMPETENT ASS, MASQUERADING AS A MOD, THOUGHT THAT THIS SHOULD BE A "HALL OF HEROES" TOPIC? PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF. A FORUM FOR HONORING SERVICEMEN AND SUPPORTING THEIR INTERESTS IS SULLIED WITH A TECHNICAL QUESTION? DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE POST, OR IS MILITARY SERVICE THAT FOREIGN TO YOU?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WHAT INCOMPETENT, POMPOUS BETA, MASQUERADING AS A MOD, THOUGHT THAT THIS SHOULD BE A "HALL OF HEROES" TOPIC? PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF. A FORUM FOR HONORING SERVICEMEN AND SUPPORTING THEIR INTERESTS IS SULLIED WITH A TECHNICAL QUESTION? DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE POST, OR IS MILITARY SERVICE THAT FOREIGN TO YOU?
View Quote

Yeah. Great post. Good luck here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]

this thread started in the RETRO forum, somebody suggested putting it in GD, and it ended up here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/MOVED-ANY-MOGADISHU-VETS-OR-RANGERS-/123-765916/
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No problem with GD, but HoH it is NOT.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in the Army from Jan 89 to Feb 96 and we never used special ammo/lighter loads. This is the first time I have heard of special lighter loads.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea no kidding.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. My not-so-educated guess is that it was the 20% / ratio specialty round, possibly the dim tracer or rauffoss, since they described it malfunctioning in a set interval. It would be a hell of a coincidence it was happening in a patterned interval if they were all the same, i.e. frangible or some lighter round.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Many of the SOF units out there can buy stuff outside of supply channels with unit funds.  Delta for instance has a pretty free hand with funding as long as they don’t get stupid and have a need for certain items.  I also don’t remember seeing much GI issue stuff on those guys.  

At one point in my career I was the S4 for my unit.  Once I learned how procurement worked and how not to get my pee pee spanked I got all kinds of stuff or the unit but then I had to fight off people and their dumbass requests for things they saw in the magazines and catalogs at the BX.  A boot LT wanted me to get Paraclete vests and Danner boots for the whole unit, yeah, no ma’am.  An underemployed E-8 wanted flight suits and nomex gloves for the entire unit because we had ground heaters.  Sorry stud, we’re a non-flying unit.

So as long as they don’t go off the reservation with requests, they generally get what they want and that’s good enough for us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for moving it. My (acerbic} post was not directed to you. In the OP, I mentioned that I wasn't sure where it belonged, so I was not opposed to it being moved. However, the move to HOH seemed arbitrary and lazy; as if the mod didn't take the time to read the content and went exclusively based off of the title.
  In over a dozen years of membership, I have never made a vitriolic comment, about a member, moderator, or even a politician LOL. I generally subscribe to the "teaspoon of honey" philosophy, but hoped that a provocative post would cause the moderator to identify themselves and explain the thought process behind it. Again, I apologize to you and yours.
  It doesn't seem that many users are familiar with the situation I asked about, even fewer have first-hand knowledge. Perhaps that is because I didn't know which category to place it in. For that reason, I attempted to delete the entire thread, but was unable to do it from my phone. If you have the means to do it please do so.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting I was not aware any of the D operators were carrying M-60s that day. I knew the Rangers did.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in 3rd Ranger BN from '91-'92.  I wasn't in Somalia at the time (I was LRS in a different unit).
However, all the ammo we used in our 60s were standard.
I never heard of what you're describing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top