[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I love it! Looks great man!
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hasn't he been saying it for a while now?

DO you still have the designs hrrmmmmmm?
View Quote

I do. I ordered a new XCR back in October that's supposed to be ready in March. I'll try my hand at making some.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do. I ordered a new XCR back in October that's supposed to be ready in March. I'll try my hand at making some.
View Quote

Excellent. I'm sure the XCRforum would be clamoring for a new run. I was going to commission my design guy to make one but if the designs already exist I hate replicating work.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Sig knocked it out of the park with the MCX Virtus. Great gun design. I have hated on Sig in the past regarding their lack of qc and issues they have had. But the two Virtus I own have been flawless. Zero complaints here. I'd love to own a 3rd one day.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@amphibian
View Quote
My 2 cents...  
I personally don't see anything out there that I want over what I have now.
Sure I can't quickly change to a different buffer system or modular triggers but I have no interest in doing so.
I run a RDIAS for full auto so that stays in there as does my Geisselle SSF select fire trigger.
I have no desire for the super short collapsing stocks as none are as smooth as using a standard buffer tube leveraging Tubb flat springs and hydraulic buffers.
Look at all the top competition shooters that can have whatever they want.  Almost all of them run an AR using the standard gas system as they are so tuneable and smooth.
No interest in the MGI quick change barrel upper since you have the issue of the zero changing when swapping barrels and there are only like two optics out there that have programmable zero's.  So might as well just swap uppers by pushing two pins.

I just wish someone would get serious about expanding the magwells for the MGI system.  Scorpion magwell would be great.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Excellent. I'm sure the XCRforum would be clamoring for a new run. I was going to commission my design guy to make one but if the designs already exist I hate replicating work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That forum still holding on?  I gave up shortly after they sold and it turned into nothing but ads. That and the same 5 guys spouting off in their echo chamber.

If you do try your hand at the folding charging handle, I’ve had the roll pin walk out twice on me. Luckily, I found all the pieces, including the pin and got it back together. Even after trying to flare it after the first time, it happened a second. Put some loctite on it that time; we’ll see if it holds. Just a point of reference to think about.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My 2 cents...  
I personally don't see anything out there that I want over what I have now.
Sure I can't quickly change to a different buffer system or modular triggers but I have no interest in doing so.
I run a RDIAS for full auto so that stays in there as does my Geisselle SSF select fire trigger.
I have no desire for the super short collapsing stocks as none are as smooth as using a standard buffer tube leveraging Tubb flat springs and hydraulic buffers.
Look at all the top competition shooters that can have whatever they want.  Almost all of them run an AR using the standard gas system as they are so tuneable and smooth.
No interest in the MGI quick change barrel upper since you have the issue of the zero changing when swapping barrels and there are only like two optics out there that have programmable zero's.  So might as well just swap uppers by pushing two pins.

I just wish someone would get serious about expanding the magwells for the MGI system.  Scorpion magwell would be great.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8380/magwells_jpg-1830412.JPG
View Quote

Amphibian that's a sweet setup man! I remember seeing it a few years back and thinking it had some serious potential. Does it work with standard AR uppers or are they proprietary uppers?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Does it work with standard AR uppers or are they proprietary uppers?
View Quote
Yes, of course it uses standard uppers....as shown in my picture, I have a magwell for use with the belt fed Shrike which is designed to work on any milspec lower.
In my case, I had a standard 556 magwell modified to directly accept unmodified 249 SAW nutsacks and boxes like seen below.
Attachment Attached File

Another example using the MGI GG magwell for use with unmodified GG mags.  I really like how the mag release location and method is retained as a push button.
I have friends using GG mags for .40SW and well as 10mm as well.  Picture below is using a Post Sample full auto MGI.
Attachment Attached File

Same goes for AK 47 and AK 74 mags/drums.  Same push button which I prefer over a flapper mag release.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think Sig knocked it out of the park with the MCX Virtus. Great gun design. I have hated on Sig in the past regarding their lack of qc and issues they have had. But the two Virtus I own have been flawless. Zero complaints here. I'd love to own a 3rd one day.

https://i.imgur.com/8i4y9Ux.jpeg

View Quote

Cant find them in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Needs a folding charging handle HINT HINT
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Nice!

300 blk 7.5” barrel.  My favorite rifle. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

By all means, if it's something you want to tackle go ahead. While I have lofty ideas of making them myself, I doubt I'll end up finding the time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Great looking guns! Now how do they shoot, any issues?

I'm a little over 21 weeks on my wait time for the 11" 5.56 I ordered... A bit frustrating considering they keep telling me the same shit every time I contact them for an update.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Some of the accessories and caliber conversions available for the ACR. I'll try to get a picture of everything I have for it in the near future.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some of the accessories and caliber conversions available for the ACR. I'll try to get a picture of everything I have for it in the near future.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312762/D0AF3B52-0DC0-46E6-9D95-46855939C1BC_jpe-1919227.JPG
View Quote

An Army of one...

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's my Robinson XCR.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some of the accessories and caliber conversions available for the ACR. I'll try to get a picture of everything I have for it in the near future.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312762/D0AF3B52-0DC0-46E6-9D95-46855939C1BC_jpe-1919227.JPG
View Quote

You need an RPM rail; I think Ramy has them in stock.

I really wish I hadn't missed the boat on those KRG PDW stocks
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Is an XCR in large measure an all aluminum ACR?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Loving the OD look man! I'd still like to get my hands on an XCR someday.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely want one. I've just been putting it off for a while. I was trying to buy up all the rare stuff before it was gone lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would not describe it that way, no. (I have two, and have owned an ACR as well)

The ACR is very much an updates AR-18. I mean the bolt & carrier are damn near identical, I'd have trouble telling the gas systems apart, and the high parts carryover to the AR-15. (FCG, Barrel, etc)

The XCR is its own beast for sure. AK style bolt and long-stroke gas piston, an ak-esque single hook fcg, but with a very un-AK barrel extension, and modern,  sensible ergos. It's also got a few design things that, for me, send it over the ACR, such as the fixed ejector and AK-style claw extractor. And of course, there being actual caliber conversions that exist, and you can buy if you're patient. How a company as small as RobArms can pull this off where Bushie/RemDef failed catastrophically is beyond me.

Honestly, I wish I'd bought an XCR ages ago. Yes it's heavier than an AR-15, but I think that has more to do with the AR being exceptionally light than the XCR being particularly heavy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would not describe it that way, no. (I have two, and have owned an ACR as well)

The ACR is very much an updates AR-18. I mean the bolt & carrier are damn near identical, I'd have trouble telling the gas systems apart, and the high parts carryover to the AR-15. (FCG, Barrel, etc)

The XCR is its own beast for sure. AK style bolt and long-stroke gas piston, an ak-esque single hook fcg, but with a very un-AK barrel extension, and modern,  sensible ergos. It's also got a few design things that, for me, send it over the ACR, such as the fixed ejector and AK-style claw extractor. And of course, there being actual caliber conversions that exist, and you can buy if you're patient. How a company as small as RobArms can pull this off where Bushie/RemDef failed catastrophically is beyond me.

Honestly, I wish I'd bought an XCR ages ago. Yes it's heavier than an AR-15, but I think that has more to do with the AR being exceptionally light than the XCR being particularly heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent summation

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  The XCR is its own beast for sure. AK style bolt and long-stroke gas piston, an ak-esque single hook fcg, but with a very un-AK barrel extension, and modern,  sensible ergos. It's also got a few design things that, for me, send it over the ACR, such as the fixed ejector and AK-style claw extractor. And of course, there being actual caliber conversions that exist, and you can buy if you're patient. How a company as small as RobArms can pull this off where Bushie/RemDef failed catastrophically is beyond me.

View Quote

You just explained why the XCR is heavier than the AR - you've got a solid steel mass above the bbl that cycles w/ the bolt carrier.  Thanks for explaining the differences btwn the two.

Bushmaster/Remington Defense didn't fail on their own - Cerberus Capital loaded them up w/ nearly a $billion in debt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They rolled it out slow, but calling it a failure is disingenuous:

Caliber conversions still available

Availability was obviously better a year ago when it had just been discontinued, but 6.8SPC and various length 5.56 barrels were just a click away.

Now the ARX and SCAR conversions that never materialized at all could be called failures much more fairly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They rolled it out slow, but calling it a failure is disingenuous:

Caliber conversions still available

Availability was obviously better a year ago when it had just been discontinued, but 6.8SPC and various length 5.56 barrels were just a click away.

Now the ARX and SCAR conversions that never materialized at all could be called failures much more fairly.
View Quote

Yeah I dunno. I mean I hear what you're saying, i do. And I wanted the ACR to be so much more than it turned out. (And maybe it's not over, who knows?)

But 4 calibers: .450bush (lol), 6.8spc, 5.56 and 300BLK only came in the very last minutes. (And combined with the forever and eternally stupid M203 cut for the entire first what, 8 years of ACR existing?) Meanwhile the XCR has:
6.8SPC
6Arc (sort of)
6.5G
7.62x39
300BLK
224Valk

All in lengths from 8" to 18". And 5.45 has been available in the past, and should be available in the near future.

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But I think the ACR was squandered, and you can blame Cerberus or Freedom Group or whoever you want, but it could have (and should have) been a truly disrupting force in the market and it wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#35]
It's also worth pointing out that the XCR beats the MCX in a lot of these regards too. I can take a "gen 0" XCR (which basically nobody has) and with the right combo of available parts, make a brand new caliber conversion kit work A-OK. Meanwhile, if you have a "classic" MCX vs a "Virtus" MCX, well sorry about your luck, have you considered selling it? Freaking sig, man. Fool me 18 times, shame on me I guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  I mean don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But I think the ACR was squandered, and you can blame Cerberus or Freedom Group or whoever you want, but it could have (and should have) been a truly disrupting force in the market and it wasn't.
View Quote

If you're going to do interchangeable bbls, your piston system needs to be universal and mounted on the handguard or upper, and your bbls need to be stock AR bbls w/ standard carbine length AR gas blocks.  Then the market already supplies all of your caliber conversions, and you have more flexibility than the AR, not less.  Trying to compete w/ the AR-15 platform is hard.  It's insanely difficult if you don't co-opt much of the AR-15 aftermarket.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah I dunno. I mean I hear what you're saying, i do. And I wanted the ACR to be so much more than it turned out. (And maybe it's not over, who knows?)

But 4 calibers: .450bush (lol), 6.8spc, 5.56 and 300BLK only came in the very last minutes. (And combined with the forever and eternally stupid M203 cut for the entire first what, 8 years of ACR existing?) Meanwhile the XCR has:
6.8SPC
6Arc (sort of)
6.5G
7.62x39
300BLK
224Valk

All in lengths from 8" to 18". And 5.45 has been available in the past, and should be available in the near future.

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But I think the ACR was squandered, and you can blame Cerberus or Freedom Group or whoever you want, but it could have (and should have) been a truly disrupting force in the market and it wasn't.
View Quote

I get it; they could have done a better job, and the XCR is a great example of that-but it is really also the only one that has done any better on the caliber conversion front. The SCAR, Sig 556 xi, and ARX never had any caliber conversions available. Small aftermarket companies have been doing 5.45, 7.62x39, and 6.5G conversions for years though.

There were several bad decisions at launch: M4 profile barrel was one, and they went to a lighter profile in around 2016, when they also lightened the barrel attachment mechanism. 1:9 barrel twist barrel was another, that was changed to 1:7 in 2014 or 2015. They were slow in releasing M-lok and keymod handguards which didn't come out until 2018. Part of what made the slow rollout worse was that they stopped marketing them by the time these things started to become available and they also shot themselves in the foot by not making the Remdef parts available.

Ultimately, the QD barrel caliber conversion idea seems to have never taken off because for the same price as a kit, you can get a complete AR upper that swaps in with two pins and can keep its own resident optic zeroed. Serialized uppers and lowers each have their own advantages, but going to a fixed barrel like the aftermarket is doing for the ACR would have alleviated a fair bit of the weight complaint too

It is a longshot, but I hope it goes back into production and gets the support it deserves.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is a longshot, but I hope it goes back into production and gets the support it deserves.
View Quote

Me too, but I don't see it happening. :(
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's also worth pointing out that the XCR beats the MCX in a lot of these regards too. I can take a "gen 0" XCR (which basically nobody has) and with the right combo of available parts, make a brand new caliber conversion kit work A-OK. Meanwhile, if you have a "classic" MCX vs a "Virtus" MCX, well sorry about your luck, have you considered selling it? Freaking sig, man. Fool me 18 times, shame on me I guess.
View Quote

You can put the Virtus barrels into the legacy MCX uppers no problem. The only thing that isn't capable of fitting on the Legacy MCX from the Virtus is the handguards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File
Updated parts photo. Still have a lot more parts on my purchase list but they'll have to wait for now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312762/0F3F8A1A-860D-4FC0-9806-38E0D1031D03_jpe-1982077.JPGUpdated parts photo. Still have a lot more parts on my purchase list but they'll have to wait for now.
View Quote

You're a hero.

I wish I'd have picked up one of those KRG PDW stocks when they were available.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top