Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2014 2:02:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! I'm digging that software.

Is there real-time control via the software / PC hook-up?

Looks like a really nice (better) option to the PS-line for roughly the same price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Major improvement over all their previous incarnations of that line.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an X320, and I like it.
I have made several posts regarding this camera in this forum.
Cables are cheap and easy to make, and some subtle improvements are nearly free as well.

For the price I haven't seen a better and more versatile one.
Torrey Pines Logic makes afocal magnifier lenses for this (and other viewers) if you are interested in non-digital magnification.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the detection range?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Feeble-Prize:
Torrey Pines Logic makes afocal magnifier lenses for this (and other viewers) if you are interested in non-digital magnification.
View Quote

Do you know what a 3x TP magnifier costs for the X320?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not know, what TPL charges foir the lens. I tried the 60mm 3X and ordered one without asking. I has not come in.
The lens was beautiful. I couldn't help myself.
They make several, and some very interesting other stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHorta] [#8]
Hmmm... I've been looking for a replacement for my MTM / Magnifier.

Can anyone who has used both chime in on how the display and FOV on the X320 compare to the MTM? I know they're apples and oranges to a degree, considering the extreme price differential, but...
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe the claims just posted by Vic. I can detect the large dogs across the valley at 850 yards in the (only) occupied property I can see from here. And voles (large mice) sticking their faces out of holes in the ground along the driveway at 100 yards. In both cases, they are easily visible as white hot spots (no detail).
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheHorta:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheHorta:

Not a lot of places selling them, here is a 2x.
2x Doubler Lens for L-3 Thermal-Eye Price: $1,495.00
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]

some very interesting other stuff.
View Quote

No kidding!  

Did you see the 2-4x adapter for the X-series?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I did not handle the variable TPL magnifier. Only saw a picture online.
P&R Infrared in Beaverton, OR handles TPL items.
I don't know whether TNVC or the other sponsors here do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyPup] [#15]
A 320 core with a 25mm lens is a good setup without too much narrowing of the FOV for close up work, should work out past 1/2 mile or more with primo weather conditions just based on the internal specs.

2X should work real good but 4X might be pushing it a bit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Four power DOES push the sensible limits of the X320, but is still useful.
As I mentioned in another thread, when you start pushing the knob for digital zoom, you better have that focus just exactly right, and getting it so just may be what I use 4X for most often.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

From our web site description.

The EOTech X320 is a small, lightweight, and concealable thermal imager.  Ideal for surveillance, hunting, and reconnaissance, the X320 offers advanced 320 x 240 performance in the palm of the hand.  It can be easily stored in a pocket and detects human activity out to 800 yards.

Vic
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smaddox:
What is the detection range?

From our web site description.

The EOTech X320 is a small, lightweight, and concealable thermal imager.  Ideal for surveillance, hunting, and reconnaissance, the X320 offers advanced 320 x 240 performance in the palm of the hand.  It can be easily stored in a pocket and detects human activity out to 800 yards.

Vic

Your opinion please...LS64 or Eotech X320 for hog hunting?
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the LS-64 and PS-32 and PS-32R and they are all excellent for hog hunting and never have to change batteries.

Also use an M-18 Recon but it is a hassle changing batteries every time we go out....

The new UTV does have USB charging port, as does the pickup truck, so screw primary batteries....

The X320 will also be excellent too, except for changing out batteries.

Basically for hog hunting all you really need is detection, all the above units excel at that parameter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Important distinction on detection vs. identification.

Vic
View All Quotes

I believe the claims just posted by Vic. I can detect the large dogs across the valley at 850 yards in the (only) occupied property I can see from here. And voles (large mice) sticking their faces out of holes in the ground along the driveway at 100 yards. In both cases, they are easily visible as white hot spots (no detail).

Important distinction on detection vs. identification.

Vic

I have been waging a war against the voles in my yard for about 2 years.  Thermal may be the Manhattan project of this war.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Reference the X320: This is what I have.

My experience is that alkaline AA cells last about 2 hours, and Ultimate Lithium Energizers last more than 6 hours.

Six hours is a long time for what I usually use the X320 for. However I needed the capability of taking the thermal and batteries enough for 24 or 48 hours continuous use - loaning it to be handed off from one user to the next until a mission ends.
That was a mandatory requirement for me, and the internal battery units don't fulfill it to my satisfaction - mostly because a thermal with an external battery cable plugged in is far more likely to be broken by an careless or unfamiliar user (which is to say, someone who didn't PAY for it.).

Ultimate Lithium cells cost about $2 apiece on sale, (X320 uses 2), so that's $4 per 6 /hours with those cells.
I have switched over to these for all my AA needs in expensive equipment such as NV and metal detector, and communications gear, for the much longer life, NO leakage, and very long storage life.

Hope that helps you consider the cost of primary cell use.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking back at my question leads me to thinking I should have compared an LS/PS32 to the Eotech X320... Is that fair?  With hand helds I've only held the LS64 and none of the 32,24s...I for one would prefer AA batteries

Thanks, Slug-O
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Are these ready to ship Vic?
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top