Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 11:23:32 AM EDT
Edited title to reflect new info based on feedback in this thread.

Suppressed, SBR early (gen 1 trigger pack OD green) PS90.  

Shot about 200 rounds in a 1 hour time block, alternating with some other guns.

Can't remember if it was an FN or ATI mag, but after I got home I could not remove the magazine until I pounded it free with my palm.  I hit it hard to get it unstuck.

The gunners at Federal Cartridge used to say their FiveSeven pistols used to seize open after they shot a bunch of quality checks, more than one was ruined melting.  Didn't believe it until today.

Anyone else experience this?

BTW--still love the gun, one of my faves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen this before on a P90. I've spent a lot of time on the platform including a full auto suppressed.

Gonna go with it being an ATI mag as the problem or a defective FN mag.

Did it melt the mag any that you could see after getting it out?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, got a picture of the mag and the PS90. Pictures help a lot in the online world.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also have spent a crap load of trigger time doing mag dumps on a P90 (several thousand rounds) and have never encountered a problem with mags melting

BTW, Federal DOES NOT PRODUCE 5.7X28mm ammo!!!

All Federal, Speer Gold Dot, and FN SS197 5.7X28mm is loaded by Fiocchi in Ozark MO
View Quote

this!!! federal on the box , buts fiocchi crap ammo.  i wont spend another penny on AE/Fiocchi 5.7 ammo ever again. Nothing but FTE FTL etc
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick observation did not reveal any extensive damage, so I did not separate out that mag and its mixed in with all the other ones.

Ill try again next time I shoot.

I like pictures too, but WTF info could you glean of a PS90 with a mag in the chamber, you couldn’t even see the area it got melted stuck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, if you couldn't remove the mag, how were you sure the chamber was clear before you left the range?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quick observation did not reveal any extensive damage, so I did not separate out that mag and its mixed in with all the other ones.

I like pictures too, but WTF info could you glean of a PS90 with a mag in the chamber, you couldn’t even see the area it got melted stuck.
View Quote

So you claim a mag melted, but threw it into a pile to be mixed with good mags?

Pictures of the area that got melted is exactly what people want to see

Sorry but everything sounds like BS.  The mag doesn't even touch metal except at the tail, but that's not going to get it stuck.  Perhaps fouling caused the mag release to get stuck, but don't see it melting to the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry but everything sounds like BS.  The mag doesn't even touch metal except at the tail, but that's not going to get it stuck.  Perhaps fouling caused the mag release to get stuck, but don't see it melting to the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree I just did 150 rounds of SS 197 doing rapid fire out of steel plate and 18 2 L soda bottles filled the water and I left the last magazine in my PS 90 SBR after I fired all the rounds. I had no issues with any of my magazines whatsoever (melting or otherwise)
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, if you couldn't remove the mag, how were you sure the chamber was clear before you left the range?
View Quote

Not the OP, but couldn’t one do it by looking and feeling through the ejection port? Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Not the OP, but couldn’t one do it by looking and feeling through the ejection port? Or am I missing something?
View Quote

I suppose.  On the AR57, I'd just remove the mag & check the chamber, but I was on a range where the action had to be open when we went cold.  Chamber flags or summat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:I suppose.  On the AR57, I'd just remove the mag & check the chamber, but I was on a range where the action had to be open when we went cold.  Chamber flags or summat.
View Quote

FWIW, it would be typical to have the chamber flag sticking out the ejection port too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
OP has gone silent after being called out, hmmm
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]
200 rounds in an hour? I've done 250 in full auto inside of 5 minutes and didn't have this issue (rental from an SOT before anyone freaks out). I'm thinking it's more likely you had carbon buildup that cooled between the range and home. Slapping it with your palm sounds to me like it's well within tolerance, from your thread title I thought you would have had a picture of actual melting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Fake news.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
who has the money to shoot 200 rds of 5.7 in a hour these days?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
who has the money to shoot 200 rds of 5.7 in a hour these days?
View Quote

Not OP because this never happened
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve never heard of this ever happening. Ive had PS90’s for decades. Interesting. Can you post a picture of the mags feed ramp section?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
maybe just maybe a crappy non fn aftermarket mag may melt in the hot sun during extreme use possibly ???????, but no way a Fn mag will melt from a normal firing rate
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you guys are right.  

I pulled the gun out and it's an FN mag with no melting at all (have not shot it since I OP).

It was shot 100% suppressed, and there is a typical carbon fouling so it probably was just carboned up a little.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]
You observed no melting or damage, why wouldn't you edit the thread title?
Weird.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You observed no melting or damage, why wouldn't you edit the thread title?
Weird.
View Quote

Good idea, there you go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top