Doc
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ready for range.
Range report on Monday the 14th.
Scope is now lazzer bore sighted.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you laser bore sight it? Who makes the laser that fits where the cartridge goes?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
this is the bore sighter my local gunsmith used to bore sight it with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=434008

Here is another type.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=147504

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Range Reports!!!!  Range Reports!!!!

Doc

Well I got to the range today. Our high power range was shut down so no 1000 yard shooting for me today.

But I and a friend sure did a number on the 445 yard gong and at 100 yards I held the group under 1 inch. A bettter trigger will help me with my group.

But I do have a problem with my ammo I got that was passed off to me being Tallon 50BMG ammo.
Out of 15 rounds I have 8 here that the primers are FLAT AS HELL and yes there was one hell of a Boom with each one. I did let 2 other guys shoot the 50BMG at the range and now have one for surely hooked now on a 50BMG rifle.
Take a look at the base of thies shells. I tried to take the best picture of the primers I could.
Other then the ammo, the rifle was dead on. I need to do something about the trigger.

Please help me as to the ammo question.
I may pull down the rest of the ammo a wiegh the powder out or just do a reload with a KNOWN powder.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
That sure looks hotter than the Talon ammo I've shot before!
The stuff I shot was made with WWII era brass too.  SL-45, TW-4...
The one M33 I pulled down was loaded with 225gr of 5010.
With my own reloads,  I've seen pressure sign like that at 233gr of 5010.

My current load with the suplus 5010 is only 210gr with an AMAX bullet.

Did you have any extraction problems?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That sure looks hotter than the Talon ammo I've shot before!
The stuff I shot was made with WWII era brass too.  SL-45, TW-4...
The one M33 I pulled down was loaded with 225gr of 5010.
With my own reloads,  I've seen pressure sign like that at 233gr of 5010.

My current load with the suplus 5010 is only 210gr with an AMAX bullet.

Did you have any extraction problems?

No problems with extraction. Bolt was a little tight on openning on 3 of the rounds.

I looked at the bolt head when I got home and all looks ok.

I have also shot Tallon ammo before but never had primers look like this.

I am going to pull down this ammo when my Hornady 50BMG press kit gets here. Do you not agree MrBen?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
EEEECCKKKK! I never shoot any ammo that I dont know is factory, or my own brew! Especially when BMG!!!

Just MHO.
CH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I had gotten the ammo from a guy I have bought other ammo from in the past and trused up till now. But I will be pulling this ammo down and putting a known powder charge in it.

8 years ago when I had my first 50BMG rifle I did my own loading. I just hope my press gets here this week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am going to pull down this ammo when my Hornady 50BMG press kit gets here. Do you not agree MrBen?

I certainly would!  

If you've got a lot of ammo to check, you might want to just weigh the whole round, and do a comparison to find the heaviest one to check first.

There were some old lots of Talon ammo that had their shoulder's set back a bit too far.
You might see the primer looking like this in that instance as well.  If so, you'd also likely see/feel an incipient head separation.  Look for the telltale bright ring and feel for the groove inside the case with a bent wire.  Discard the cases if you do find such!

There's another remanufacturing outfit, Maine Cartridge Co. (MCC) that loads pretty hot.  To milspec for M2HB beltfeds.  Could be this ammo came from them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Do what Ben said, check the outside and inside of the case about 3/4" up from the bottom. If there is a ring around it trash them and don't reuse. Like Ben said, Talon had a bad batch about three years ago. Ask whoever you got them from how long ago they got them and where to be sure.

As it is now, if you have more of them don't shoot them! It looks like there is a serious pressure problem with them. If you have a .50 round that you know is good, try placing it next to one of these rounds. I seem to remember someone posting a pic of this and you could actually see the difference where the shoulders were.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a bunch of those too out of my Windrunner.  Some were Talon loaded to 235gr of 5010 and some were pulldown brass loaded with 216gr of 5010 behind an Amax.  I say more than likely, that the brass is set back a little.  As said before, check for the internal groove.  

The good thing now is that you have fireformed brass specific to your chamber.  If there is no groove, you are good to go.  I don't have that problem anymore now that my reloads are fireformed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I checked the inside and outside of the 8 cases and did not find a "ring". I looked for the same thing when I use to reload 300win mag. but at the outside rim.

I took them over to my friends auto shop used his endoscope and took a look inside wished I could have taken a picture.

I need to get a Digital sacle as my RCBS powder scale can not do the idea that MrBen has as to wiegh out each loaded round and find the heaviest one and go from there.

I am going to go out to the outdoor store later. Can anyone sugest a good digital scale that will not break the bank?

Thanks to all for the help.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]
just make an old fashion balance scale.
like a long ruler across a fulcrum at the exact middle.
put one cartridge on either end...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
MrBen sounds like a good idea. As the out door store did not have a scale at all as to digital.

I just had another friend look at the rounds and he had another idea. He is wondering if the chamber is cut for MATCH AMMO and the over pressure sighns is the FLAT primers.

I emailed Marcos to find out what type of chamber he cuts in to his barrles.

I did get ahold of the guy I got the ammo from he is telling me it is 8 to 9 years old and it Tallon. HUUUUMMM.

Just goes to show I need to go back to doing my owne loads I ignored my owne rule and it has bitten me in the ass. I am just glad I did not blow up the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Match chamber shouldn't have anything to do with it, if anything the rounds wouldn't have fit. Most match chambers have tighter tolerances and won't allow surplus to be chambered. I would be looking at the ammo issue first, weigh the charge and check to make sure the shoulders weren't bumped back to far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I took 3 of the rounds at random and pulled the bullets and this is what I got.

All 3 had 230.5 grains of powder in them.

All 3 bullets were .511" diameter aft of the cannelure and .509" diameter forward of the cannelure.

All 2 casses were 3.900" long one was 3.902.

Books I have here say that the .511" diameter is with in spec and the case lenght is with in spec.
Trim lenght of 3.890" in one book and 3.900" in the other book.

Case dimentions for all 3 cases match my 2 books. Base of case to sholder bottom being 3.0056".

So to me it looks like a hot charge of powder.

My Hodgdon manual shows the following for powder charge.
647Gr bullet    H870 210,0GRS  to 225.0GRS
                        H5010 205.0GRS  to 220.0GRS

My Accurate manual says.
642Gr bullet  8700 powder  205.00GRS to 228.0

I also did a serch on 50BMG reloading and found this sight.  

http://www.hevanet.com/temple/

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#20]
klm:

What is the lingth on your barrel;  I am thinking about getting a 24" UL upper the only thing is I need to find out if we have a range that will handle it

An army of deer led by a lion  is more to be feared then a army of lions led by a deer.....CHABRIAS
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
klm:

What is the lingth on your barrel;  I am thinking about getting a 24" UL upper the only thing is I need to find out if we have a range that will handle it

An army of deer led by a lion  is more to be feared then a army of lions led by a deer.....CHABRIAS

My barrel is 24".
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#22]
KLM66,
Where in WA are you? I would really like ot check out that upper. I want one but have a couple issues. First, the wait time(I know I am whining) and secondly, I have not seen one in person.

Just wondering
Thanks
CH
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
KLM66,
Where in WA are you? I would really like ot check out that upper. I want one but have a couple issues. First, the wait time(I know I am whining) and secondly, I have not seen one in person.

Just wondering
Thanks
CH

IM sent.
Let me know if you are close enough, we could go shoot it. Kinda like a test drive for you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top