User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't you think they will investigate the plaintiff just as thoroughly as the defendant?
View Quote

No, they don't start by investigating the "victim".

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:04:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't you think they will investigate the plaintiff just as thoroughly as the defendant?

Yes they do,  here anyway.  At the minimum name and dob get ran,  and it goes from there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have wondered the same thing, I would say most of it is concerns about security and just doing a little bit to potentially stop a lot of hassle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

$40K is a lot bigger payday than $400-$1400 and no ATF to deal with if caught.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GIT OUTTA HERE FED YOU'LL NEVER KNOW ABOUT MY 87 AR15s, AMMO FORT, AND TRASH CAN OVERFLOWING WITH kALASHNIKOFS.

ETA I've read here that there are instances of people stealing pictures to sell guns on-line -- when the "seller" doesn't deliver the legit owner gets a phone call or knock on the door from la policiaca.

This is no BS.

I know a guy that had a very nice last gen Supra. Cars are crazy money. He had his Ebay hacked and his car listed on his own account. Money order was sent to like NY or CA. I know it sounds crazy but it happened. It was ugly. End of story is he was targeted because he posted online about his car. Thieves tracked him down at a major event he visted he said he was going to. They took pisc of the car there and posted it. They wanted the $40K the car went for... Account it was transfered into was closed the next day IIRC.

I know that is not a 1 or 2K $ AR, but it does speak volumes to the lengths people will go.

$40K is a lot bigger payday than $400-$1400 and no ATF to deal with if caught.

$40k supra > $2500 noveske with ACOG > knocking off a 7-11 for $65
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess my answer would be a question; Why would you ever want to include a complete serial number in your online posts? There is nothing to be gained by showing it and it hurts nothing to hide it.

and yes, realistically I could imagine several scenarios where some asshole could use that serial number (along with all sorts of information that we knowingly and unwittingly share on the WWW) to fuck with your life.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No he didn't and it's a GD topic anyway.

It has nothing to do with the functioning of a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, what  business is it of yours if someone chooses to do that?

This should be in GD, not GFD.

He asked a legitimate question.  If someone knows what could truly be done with that information, it would be good for us to know.  So we can do also do it, while others simply think we look stupid doing it.

No he didn't and it's a GD topic anyway.

It has nothing to do with the functioning of a firearm.

Since you think you're a mod, move it.  If you can't, go troll another thread.

This is a FIREARMS discussion forum and, last I checked, most firearms have serial numbers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top