Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
@PursuitSS

1st, congrats! 2nd, is the grip fixed or folding?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
From V1 Tactical on FB:
Steyr AUG 14.5” Barrel Update: Spoke with Steyr this morning. They informed us that the forward grip on this barrel WILL be pinned to prevent folding. This was a last minute change to prevent injury if someone attempted to fire the rifle with the grip folded. The MIL/LEO 14.5” barrel, which this barrel is a clone of, is also pinned to prevent injury. This information was not disclosed to V1Tactical when the barrels were placed on pre-order. Please spread the word.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From V1 Tactical on FB:
Steyr AUG 14.5” Barrel Update: Spoke with Steyr this morning. They informed us that the forward grip on this barrel WILL be pinned to prevent folding. This was a last minute change to prevent injury if someone attempted to fire the rifle with the grip folded. The MIL/LEO 14.5” barrel, which this barrel is a clone of, is also pinned to prevent injury. This information was not disclosed to V1Tactical when the barrels were placed on pre-order. Please spread the word.
View Quote

Ah, great to hear, fixed, they way they should be.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The MIL/LEO 14.5" barrel, which this barrel is a clone of, is also pinned to prevent injury.
View Quote
What mil/LEO 14.5" barrel?
Is it chrome lined?

Edit: Does Steyr sell them to LEOs here in the US?
I'd love to get some more chrome lined AUG barrels.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What mil/LEO 14.5" barrel?
Is it chrome lined?
View Quote

Austrian police guns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone has a black pinned grip they do not want, I’ll trade you for a folding black grip with complete hardware. Yours for mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrel seems well made. There’s a massive warning sticker on the bubble wrap warning of violation if you don’t follow federal law. The vfg is not the normal steyr fixed vfg. The typical grip has an oval channel to allow the cross pin through the gasblock to disengage under spring pressure. I haven’t pulled it apart yet but I assume a quick fix was made by welding a block into the channel. My reasoning is based on the vertical play against the spring holding on the bottom grip cap. The Austrian fixed grips are completely solid with no movement.

I bought some AUG-esque 1/2x28 flash hider Link and had it sitting around in my AUG parts. It will not thread on the barrel. Obviously one of these is problematic. I’ll test with other 1/2x28 devices later.

Did these sell out?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Barrel seems well made. There’s a massive warning sticker on the bubble wrap warning of violation if you don’t follow federal law. The vfg is not the normal steyr fixed vfg. The typical grip has an oval channel to allow the cross pin through the gasblock to disengage under spring pressure. I haven’t pulled it apart yet but I assume a quick fix was made by welding a block into the channel. My reasoning is based on the vertical play against the spring holding on the bottom grip cap. The Austrian fixed grips are completely solid with no movement.

I bought some AUG-esque 1/2x28 flash hider Link and had it sitting around in my AUG parts. It will not thread on the barrel. Obviously one of these is problematic. I’ll test with other 1/2x28 devices later.

Did these sell out?
View Quote

I just saw 12 black and six mud in stock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Well thats interesting, I wonder if its 13x1 lol. Mine arrives tomorrow and ill see what threads on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the kak muzzle device. A dead air 1/2x28 suppressor mount screws right on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just saw 12 black and six mud in stock.
View Quote

With all uncommon things AUG, if you want one, don’t hesitate. Who knows when or if these will ever come back.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
agree,
I regret not buying the 24in barrels and the 16in barrels in 1x7 when they blew them out for great prices years ago.
Also regret not buying steyr mags when 44mag were dumping the 42rounders for like less than $20 each.
And dont get me started on the 9mm conversion kits. Always said Id buy one later and now they cost more than an aug itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, I have a white grip thats fixed.
Pretty Cool. I'll give props to V1 tactical for this run. Never thought i'd see the day seeing some factory shorts come in. Still wish they were 1x7 though lol.
Tried a bunch of different FH/MDs before I figure out which one to pinweld. Dead air, AAC, gemtech, all seem to thread on fine.
Anyone measure the gas ports yet? I'm wondering if I should put on a suppressor plug (if I can find it )
Completely separate not, anyone see the new folding picatinny rail aug grips?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, I have a white grip thats fixed.
Pretty Cool. I'll give props to V1 tactical for this run. Never thought i'd see the day seeing some factory shorts come in. Still wish they were 1x7 though lol.
Tried a bunch of different FH/MDs before I figure out which one to pinweld. Dead air, AAC, gemtech, all seem to thread on fine.
Anyone measure the gas ports yet? I'm wondering if I should put on a suppressor plug (if I can find it )
Completely separate not, anyone see the new folding picatinny rail aug grips?
View Quote

V1 Tactical just had a batch of plugs come in while they were waiting for the 14.5" barrels come in. I have one arriving tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Can a  factory steyr folding grip be installed on these barrels?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
they're made with fixed grips so you don't shoot your hand
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are the 9mm barrels and on those you can replace the grip with a folding one. Ya know if you’re one of those people that takes the tags off their mattresses - or has above a room temperature IQ and wants to store it more compactly ??
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#19]
For those that will P&W a muzzle device, what muzzle device will you be using?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
They come with a folding grip!  Steyr put a ball bearing in the oblong slot at the top of the grip to limit vertical travel sufficient to keep the grip from being pulled down in order to fold forward.  Simply remove the grip (several videos online to show how to do this, simple), the ball bearing drops out, then re-install. Folding function restored. But caution is in order, especially if using the folding grip with full auto fire. Better to leave it fixed!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonderful demo pic on Reddit, showing 14.5"+Suppressor vs 20" AUG with 16" barrel in the middle for scale:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AUG/comments/14g7wcv/20_vs_16_with_thread_adapter_vs_145/

When you factor in the 20" AUG is the same length as the MP5SD, and that this 14.5" suppressed looks 1.5-2" shorter....
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Waste not doing a 1/7 barrel
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my 14.5 bbl in black from V1. All went well and it looks great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Waste not doing a 1/7 barrel
View Quote

A waste really? And why is that? This seems to come up a lot. Most people shoot 55g, why over stablize it with a 1-7 twist? Even those shooting 62g m855, the 1-9  is ideal for that as well. I would go as far as to say based on my own experience, the 69g does well with the 1-9, out of a 20" hbar @ 600 yds.

I see no reason for the 1-7 unless your pushing bullets over 70g at long distances which I would bet most of us aren't doing this with our AUGs.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wonderful demo pic on Reddit, showing 14.5"+Suppressor vs 20" AUG with 16" barrel in the middle for scale:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AUG/comments/14g7wcv/20_vs_16_with_thread_adapter_vs_145/

https://i.ibb.co/kyjZTrG/AUG-14-5-suppressed-vs-20.jpg

When you factor in the 20" AUG is the same length as the MP5SD, and that this 14.5" suppressed looks 1.5-2" shorter....
View Quote

Geez. Is that an airsoft gun?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bottom one? Pretty sure thats a msar.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The bottom one? Pretty sure thats a msar.
View Quote

That’s what I thought at quick glance in the dim photo. But the receiver appears steyr A1 with funky turret knobs and a side rail bolted on (A1 never had a rail), the carrier looks weird, the rear buttpad area (missing buttpad) has a 1200 mAh battery sitting next to it maybe even with a wire hanging out but that’s hard to tell, the gasblock is missing the gas regulator, and the split tulip FH isn’t correct. The magazine is weird with what looks like an insert inside it - again, difficult to see in the poor quality photo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. The bottom one is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Took the grip apart since the play was bothering me.

In mine, they ground down a bolt and dropped it in the spring channel. I took it out.

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/kyjZTrG/AUG-14-5-suppressed-vs-20.jpg

I believe the bottom airsoft was used to show the length of a 20" AUG vs his 14.5"+Suppressor setup, not as a ruse.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#32]
First time dealing with this company,ordered on a monday  received on thursday ,mine also had the bolt in the grip .Easy fix,compared to my factory 14in barrel it looks good.Only thing I would check is the gas piston face,mine was very dirty but the barrel was clean.Put a flash hider on it and fired 200 rounds  in semi and full auto no complaints i would buy from them again.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Is someone saying they’re not steyr barrels on other forums/social media?

It makes a nice short little gun.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got the email from V1, the second run of these barrels is in stock now.  Minus the one green one I went ahead and bought.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One other nice thing about the 14.5 specific length might include the fact that some objects like certain ACOGs for example are calibrated specifically for that bbl length due to the M4.
View Quote

But with a different twist rate, will it have the same flight path?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In fact I think something like a 15 and 1/2 in with a pin and welded A2 would be of interest to myself personally.
View Quote

I think u mean 14.
14.7+ a2 makes 16
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Good. If these are successful maybe stir will make other barrels too!

I still dream of other calibers like 6.5 Grendel or 300 hammer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#41]
? 1) For overseas unrestricted use not subject to US NFA, how are Surefire SOCOM Flash Hider series Muzzel devices attached to this barrel?

a. Surefire SOCOM Flash Hider (Rocksett/Loctited) + Surfire providedd shim spacer kit + Steyr AUG Nut (Rocksett/Loctited) + Barrel

b. Surefire SOCOM Flash Hider (Rocksett/Loctited) + Surefire provided shim spacer kit  + Barrel

c. ?

? 2) As for older Austrian made AUG barrels (16" and 20")  is it the same answer as above?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#42]
1) B. Or at least it should be provided the threads aren’t too long.

2) Aren’t they metric?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#43]
@CJofFL Thanks

I'm no RKI but yes the older OEM Austrian F/H and Nuts I'm referencing for my question are all are metric, the threads are long enough and shaped to allow a F/H and Nut to be secured with thread locker.  .  (Recently who knows, maybe they are also making in US threads for custom orders, mil, etc.)

Surefire makes a #SF3P-556-AUG three-prong flash hider for SureFire SOCOM Series 5.56 Fast-Attach® suppressors, which fits the older OEM original Austrian Steyr AUG. But It's a bit long. I haven't checked their SF site to see if they also make any of their shorter closed tine SOCOM Series F/S, etc.,

Before I wasn't sure if we also needed a US made thread pitch Steyr AUG Nut to put behind that SF F/H. If the addition of the Nut doesn't interfere with the SF Fast Attach system, and if the 14" barrel is tapered to also accept a Nut.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The issue with the lock nut is lack of a square shoulder for suppressor mount concentricity. One might get lucky, or use a overbored suppressor or whatever, but it’s preferable to avoid the nut and use the barrel shoulder somehow or another.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I’ve got a SF3P-556-AUG (13x1lh threads with nut) at home in its packaging and can take pics and measurements after work if you like.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]
@CapnJazz No thank you. Appreciate your kindness. No need to trouble yourself. I can get specs off SF's website.

Too bad SF does not offer more SOCUM F/H in this thread pitch, like their 4 Prong version and shorter closed tine for more surface area contact.

Given abundance and standardization of SF devices, you would think one of their F/H or compatibility with them, would be the best choice for upgrading to one F/H type, for all your old and new AUG barrels in need for an almost universal F/H.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Steyr Austria makes suppressors that attach directly to the OEM tulip flash hider. Shouldnt be that hard for US manufacturers to offer end caps with that option

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Steyr Austria makes suppressors that attach directly to the OEM tulip flash hider. Shouldnt be that hard for US manufacturers to offer end caps with that option

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/4579d5_b0f476016ffa40f39ad7275a82e2ace3~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_560,h_560,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/4579d5_b0f476016ffa40f39ad7275a82e2ace3~mv2.png
View Quote

They attach to the compensator not the flash hider.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They attach to the compensator not the flash hider.
View Quote

Such type of fittings do exist. Years ago, there were AUG attachment systems built by European makers, that slip right over the F/H / Nut , but they were specific for a certain type of barrel length and F/H type.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top