Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grayman: looks like a high school shop project, comes dull, but you can use it as a prybar
View Quote
All the ones I have are razor sharp right out of the box! Yes you can use as pry bar also.
  In the past they came with a "toothy" edge which was awesome for cutting rope etc. but too many people wanted a fancy almost mirror edge.  That's what all mine have. Except my older suenami. That one has the toothy edge. Still razor sharp.
  You don't buy a 1/4" thick ass knife for cutting tomatoes for your club sandwich.  You buy it for camping hunting survival self defense etc etc. which is what they are designed for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Grayman: looks like a high school shop project, comes dull, but you can use it as a prybar
View Quote
Double post

Oops stupid iPhone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe you bought the new York compliant version.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ontario Rat-5

Cheap, thick and sharp

Amazon Product
  • Made of 1095 Carbon Steel
  • Lock Type: Fixed; Edge Type: Plain
  • Overall Length: 10.5-Inch

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
1/4" thick, full tang, and shaves hair effortlessly.

My very first homemade knife. I had a couple trial runs with a grinder and cheap Home Depot welding steel. This is 1/4" 1084 steel with Kironite handles.

Has a million flaws, but it heat treated well and took a hell of an edge. I intend to make many more!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Hogue knives look like beasts ( .25" thick stock).

Hogue at Blade HQ

I have an old Cold Steel Recon Scout in Carbon V steel. It's a monster.
they aren't Carbon V any more.

Recon Scout
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hogue knives look like beasts ( .25" thick stock).

Hogue at Blade HQ
View Quote
Yeah, but their steel won't beat SR101 and you can get a Swamprat Rodent 6 over at blade forums (used) for around that much......and it will hold its value even if you wear the coating off of it.

Honestly though, the RMD would be a very good choice for OP's stated use.  Thinner blade than the rodent 6 will make use during hunting easier and more precise, is reportedly a comfortable knife by many, and is well regarded by the same "many."  

If I could only carry one fixed blade for the rest of time, I'd probably pick a RMD because you can press it into most any role whereas if you go either direction in the size scale, your knife becomes more specialized.  (4-5" blade length makes for a very good "all arounder" length in my experience....much longer and you lose too much control for fine tasks and much shorter and you lose the ability to baton through all but the thinnest sticks.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have my share of "thick" full tang knives, but I'm not convinced they're necessary.  I've gone as thin as 3/32", full flat grind; my preference is between 1/8" and 3/16" inch.  For wider blades that are full tang, these are plenty strong for everything but use as a pry bar.  I'm an advocate of battening through wood with a knife, but even thin blades can effectively perform this task if you take thinner outer sections of larger wood and "shave" it down to a manageable size.

Thinner knives are just far more efficient cutters; much easier to skin and clean game/fish or other useful camp chores.  

As an avid backpacker, thick knives simply suck for their weight penalty, and I've never really needed those 1/4" or 5/16" slabs of sharpened steel through a few combat tours.  They offer mental comfort, but I think it's unnecessary overkill for 99.9% of your cutting needs.  YouTube videos are harder on knives than real-world use...YMMV.

ROCK6
View Quote
I feel the same. It's mostly a comfort thing for me. Knowing that the knife will be able to go through hell and back makes me feel good. Il always have a thinner back-up, though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Busse
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Randall Made #14
Dennis
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the ones I have are razor sharp right out of the box! Yes you can use as pry bar also.
  In the past they came with a "toothy" edge which was awesome for cutting rope etc. but too many people wanted a fancy almost mirror edge.  That's what all mine have. Except my older suenami. That one has the toothy edge. Still razor sharp.
  You don't buy a 1/4" thick ass knife for cutting tomatoes for your club sandwich.  You buy it for camping hunting survival self defense etc etc. which is what they are designed for.
View Quote
Everyone's got their preferences on brand of knife for whatever their personal reasons are.

But if I'm going to drop good $ on a "hard use knife," I'm going with something the busse crew put out.  I've got various knives from them and they've all been incredibly well performing knives.  I chopped through frigging dry juniper across the grain with a Rodent 6 and the thing will still shave paper.

Between their edge retention, their "please treat this knife like shit and try to break it" warranty (that I've seen them back up in cases any other knife maker I've ever seen would say "you didn't use that knife within normal usage and as such we won't warranty it"), and the fit/finish/function quotient.....

Yeah.  I sort of hate their business model, but it is what it is.  It's royally pissed me off in the past, but their knives speak for themselves.  If you want pretty, they can do pretty.  But bring the $.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everyone's got their preferences on brand of knife for whatever their personal reasons are.

But if I'm going to drop good $ on a "hard use knife," I'm going with something the busse crew put out.  I've got various knives from them and they've all been incredibly well performing knives.  I chopped through frigging dry juniper across the grain with a Rodent 6 and the thing will still shave paper.

Between their edge retention, their "please treat this knife like shit and try to break it" warranty (that I've seen them back up in cases any other knife maker I've ever seen would say "you didn't use that knife within normal usage and as such we won't warranty it"), and the fit/finish/function quotient.....

Yeah.  I sort of hate their business model, but it is what it is.  It's royally pissed me off in the past, but their knives speak for themselves.  If you want pretty, they can do pretty.  But bring the $.
View Quote
Hate their business model? Referring to what?
   I do have a mean street I bought used but nib that is an awesome knife. Its the only one I've owned or even seen in person but it is perfect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top