Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Truth be told with enough time, anyone can get into your house...The trick is to make your house a less desireable target....Why try breaking into a house with alarm/dogs/extra security as opposed to breaking into the neighbors house who has none of those things...
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Well the safe is in a back room and bolted to the floor. Windows are tinted so you can't see in during the day and blinds at night. Finishing the alarm install today multiple motions and door contacts. Good deadbolts on all doors and motion lights outside. Probably install some safety film some day. I tint windows all day and don't want to install more film when I get home lol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My wife and I just bought moved into a nice upper-middle class neighborhood almost a year ago.  There have been three break-ins in the past 6 months, one of them our next door neighbors.  I'm fairly certain that my Rottie deterred anyone from contemplating my house.  But, our neighborhood watch noticed a car parked suspiciously in front of our house the other day.  It was filled with four "urban youths".  Most likley they were casing the nighborhood and probably my house.

This has made me rethink my security set-up.  Have the security lights with motion detectors and the dog.  All of the break ins, though, have occurred during the day.  My concerns are the front door, basement walk-out door, and the sliding glass door to the deck.  If someone wants in bad enough they'll get in, but for most commin criminals, if it's a hardened target they'll move on.

I'd like to find a way to reinforce both the front door and the basement door.  Has anyone tried this product?  http://www.djarmor.com/ It looks promising.  I'd also like to buy stronger doors, if anyone has recommendations.

Has anyone found a good solution to sliding glass doors? The 3M film will help, but can't they be easily lifted off the track?

A repo man told me about the following:  Open the sliding door all the way.  Screw a sheetrock screw into the upper track just enough so it will clear the sliding door as you close it.  Repeat this 3 or 4 times in equal distances along the track.  If you try to lift the door out of the track, the top of the door will hit the screw and it can't go up enough for the bottom of the door to clear the track.  

But as you know, if they want to get in, they'll throw something through the window.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone found a good solution to sliding glass doors?  The 3M film will help, but can't they be easily lifted off the track?

Put a screw into the frame above the door about 3-4" in from the wall.  It will prevent the door from being lifted up off the track.  Depending on the door you might want to do both ends.
http://www.checkbook.org/interactive/homesecu/other/screw.jpg

Damn, I didn't realize it was already posted.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone recommend a good motion detector door chime system? I'd like something to announce guests approaching the front door - any additional warning of trouble would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to find anything in a retail store, and most of what I found on the Net had poor reviews. Max needed range is about 25-30 feet, any extra is pure gravy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In case I haven't mentioned it before, those of you with garage door openers in your cars, bring those inside don't leave them in your vehicles..

Or just park the car inside the garage.

The real danger is when the car is outside the home area. People leave things with their address in the car, even just the registration, and a criminal can take that information the garage door opener and he now has a treasure map and a key.

GPS units are another issue - DO NOT program it with your home address. Put in something else in the same general area, a few blocks away, if you put anything under HOME.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
More on the GPS unit,  turn on the security code.  Most units especially most Garmins allow you to set a 4 digit pin to use the unit.  

If they dont know it at least it will keep them busy try to gues it for awhile. 0001, dang, 0002, dang....  

If they are busy doing that maybe they will not be breaking into my car.

Additionally,  you can usually make a splash down screen that says anything.  Right before the inputing the security code it comes up.  

Mine just happens to say:

Gps Tracking enabled when unit is on.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Additionally,  you can usually make a splash down screen that says anything.  Right before the inputing the security code it comes up.  

That's pretty good.  I'm thinking of putting "Security Camera Activated" on mine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
At first I was a little reluctant to post this, but I am sure the bad guys know this trick already.

If you have a genie intellicode garage opener, never leave your garage open and unattended.
All someone has to do is, while standing under the motor, look up and see the learn button between the motor case and light unit.
It only takes a few seconds to reach up with any thin metal thing such as a nail file or metal ruler and press that button.
Once the red light starts flashing, two presses of the remote control button will add that remote to the system.
The perp can return at any time and have full access to the garage and consequently, most houses as well.

Pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds will reset the remotes, and they must be added back individually to work.
This would be a good procedure to do once in a while, especially after non-residents had been in the garage.

The entire intellicode manual is available online for those who have lost your copy.

http://www.geniecompany.com/GenieCompany.aspx?cid=322
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a house recently.  The other day I was in the living room when I heard someone outside one of my bedrooms.  It turned out to be a meter reader, but I realized that it is going to be difficult to sneak into my backyard because the only walkable area is covered with loose gravel.  Trees and bushes take up the rest of the space.  I could hear every single footstep from inside the house until he walked across my patio.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
One other tip: my friend recently had some flood damage in his house.  He gave a house key to the contractor responsible for fixing the damage.  The next day, the contractor said, "I've taken this key to five places in town and nobody can duplicate it! (It was a Medeco lock and key).  My friend said, "I didn't give you permission to duplicate it."  That's when I realized controlled key access was very important.  The contractor was going to give out duplicated keys to all his workers.  Any one of them could have gone back and stolen everything.

I replaced all my deadbolts with Bilock deadbolts, which are cheaper than Medeco, but still have difficult to duplicate keys.  To prevent me from getting locked out of the house, I put a spare key in a Masterlock Key Safe and shackled it to something immovable in my garage.  I use an electronic keypad mounted to the outside of my house to get into my garage.  Punching in the proper codes gets me in, and keeps others out.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
get a pair of 16 boots or flip flops or something to put on the front porch.

I always liked the old "nothing in here is worth your life" stickers.  

The electronic dog barking machines may help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
More on the GPS unit,  turn on the security code.  Most units especially most Garmins allow you to set a 4 digit pin to use the unit.  
If they dont know it at least it will keep them busy try to gues it for awhile. 0001, dang, 0002, dang....  
Thieves won't bother seeing if it works or is locked while they're in your car, they'll check it out down the block or back at their place.

Kharn

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thieves won't bother seeing if it works or is locked while they're in your car, they'll check it out down the block or back at their place.

Kharn

x2

I've had 2 satellite radio receiver stolen when the fuckers were smashing and grabbing everything in the lot. Of course they were made useless within minutes of me calling Sirius and that unique ID can't ever be activated again (i.e. they now have a paperweight)

So the scum stealing this shit can't even tell the difference between a satellite radio and a GPS unit...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top