BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ian wasn't guilt free in that silly tiff.

Neither was kb.  

I figured something was up.  It's amazing he lasted this long.  The companies cultures are too different.

Did you ?  How so ?

Prolly the part in red.

They wear t-shirts and shorts while they skateboard around the shop at AAC.

They wear ties and Cole Haan's at Cerbus.

Is your dick still in a knot over you and Kevin's interwebs tough-guy bullshit?

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
This is interesting.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Naw,   25 of the 62 rifles shot at Ft. Bragg's USASOC Sniper Comp a couple weeks ago were made by me ... and I didn't see a one made by him.

That didn't take long.  Can we keep the tit for tat bullshit out of this thread and keep it civil?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh...I've conteplated about getting an AAC can...But when I go in AAC's section on silencertalk, I mostly see "my M4 1000 rotates when I shoot" and "my silencer wont lock on my 51T mount", and a lot of "I had an end cap strike".

When I go into the OPS INC or KAC section on silencer talk...I hardly ever see folks having mounting problems or end cap strikes.

I currently own 3 suppressors: a Knights NT-4, Knights M-110, and an OPS INC 5.56 12th model. All work flawlessly and I've never had any problems. All but the M-110 suppressor...just because I haven't finished that build yet, so I cant shoot it. Quality over quantity.

I know I'm not an expert, but it seems AAC puts alot of their profit into marketing and not-so-good comparisons (i.e. the AAC ad where they compare an old, used can of what looks like a Surefire, and their brand new, right off the welding machine M4-2000).

They also market the shit out of the .300 BLK...."Hey look at us, we made an AK47 and a M249 SAW shoot .300 BLK!"

And the new offspring company of AAC..."The Farm"...lol wha? Camo dipped suppressors...realy?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why all the AAC hate? I own a few of there suppressors and they seem to work well.
Is it customer service issues or something?

Google ian187 and aac

ok now I see what happened. do you know what the outcome was?
was there any truth to ian187 statements about fn dropping aac?
sorry if this is off topic i was just curious and most of the threads that were found by google were archived or didnt have what the outcome of the case was. thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Meh...I've conteplated about getting an AAC can...But when I go in AAC's section on silencertalk, I mostly see "my M4 1000 rotates when I shoot" and "my silencer wont lock on my 51T mount", and a lot of "I had an end cap strike".

When I go into the OPS INC or KAC section on silencer talk...I hardly ever see folks having mounting problems or end cap strikes.

I currently own 3 suppressors: a Knights NT-4, Knights M-110, and an OPS INC 5.56 12th model. All work flawlessly and I've never had any problems. All but the M-110 suppressor...just because I haven't finished that build yet, so I cant shoot it. Quality over quantity.

I know I'm not an expert, but it seems AAC puts alot of their profit into marketing and not-so-good comparisons (i.e. the AAC ad where they compare an old, used can of what looks like a Surefire, and their brand new, right off the welding machine M4-2000).

They also market the shit out of the .300 BLK...."Hey look at us, we made an AK47 and a M249 SAW shoot .300 BLK!"

And the new offspring company of AAC..."The Farm"...lol wha? Camo dipped suppressors...realy?

I've fingered the new design.

IMHO you should wait for the new design that should hit in '12.

Rock solid. FWIW, I've seen these kinds of issues with just about every brand of can out there, OPs and KAC included. I've seen them first hand.

What you'll find on those sites is the typical "teh finish on my suppressor doesn't match my rifle..." drivel.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither was kb.  

I figured something was up.  It's amazing he lasted this long.  The companies cultures are too different.

Did you ?  How so ?

Prolly the part in red.

Naw,   25 of the 62 rifles shot at Ft. Bragg's USASOC Sniper Comp a couple weeks ago were made by me ... and I didn't see a one made by him.

Wow, that's weird... Oh, wait a second!!! They don't build rifles!!!

You tried to trick me!!!

How many of your suppressors were mounted on those rifles?

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What happened at AAC was absolutely predictable at the time of the sale. With rare exceptions, when a company is bought/acquired by a larger or holding company, existing management is kept in place for somewhere between 15 and 24 months (18 average) until the new owners have a handle on the company's management and potential. Then, without any warning, top management is dismissed and the new owners install their own top personnel.

I have witnessed this in a number of companies significantly larger than AAC which were acquired by another, and this is not unique to the firearms industry.

This process rarely reflects negatively on the original top management; it is simply a normal business procedure.

I wish Kevin and Cara well in whatever new venture they will start.

This.

You are a good example of how people within the community should behave, Doc.

Merry Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't take long.  Can we keep the tit for tat bullshit out of this thread and keep it civil?

Okay, what was not civil about that response ?   Or are you just trying to gin something up that ain't there ?  

I'll answer that...

It isn't that it wasn't "civil."

It's more that you aren't big enough to be satisfied with your companies success, but rather enjoy kicking and jabbing at others within the community.

I love your products, but your attitude makes you seem dickish.

It's a shame.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, what was not civil about that response ?   Or are you just trying to gin something up that ain't there ?  

I'll answer that...

It's more that you aren't big enough to be satisfied with your companies success, but rather enjoy kicking and jabbing at others within the community.

It's a shame.

Only Texans like Texans
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll answer that...

It's a shame.

Yeah, well, match my contributions to ian187's legal fund and see just how dickish you get.

Merry Christmas, Mark.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the "Real Housewives of AR15.com," I'm ashamed but I can't look away at the same time, it's entertaining.  I love how Gemtech always takes the high road, great job guys.  Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the "Real Housewives of AR15.com," I'm ashamed but I can't look away at the same time, it's entertaining.  I love how Gemtech always takes the high road, great job guys.  Merry Christmas.

No kidding, especially knowing the somewhat shaky history between Dr. Dater and Kevin.

IIRC Kevin worked at Gemtech, left and then opened AAC.

Dr. Dater is a gentleman.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Class. Some industry characters just don't have any. I'm not speaking of AAC or anything regarding the original topic either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Mexican soap opera.....

gradually my feeling is the whole world will be an improved Mexican or Argentinian soap opera show.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would speculate that if the AAC acquisition number of 40M is correct, that Cerberus had a non-compete clause in the contract preventing Kevin from creating a competing product for a period of years. Likewise, it's common for companies to specify that former management can't even be employed by a competitor. Most recent case I know of involved former Thomas English Muffin exec. jumping ship to Hostess. So far, the courts have upheld that non-compete case so the exec is SOL. Consider too that Cerberus must own the patents that AAC holds along with the intellectual property rights. I wouldn't expect to see Kevin surface in the industry, doing so would probably result in a breach of contract case and jeopardize his income from the original sale. Just all speculation based on observations in the corporate world.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have thought that ( Freedom Group, Cerebus, George Soros ) bought all of these arms and ammo companies with something other than profit on there mind.  This Freedom Group has nothing on it mind about Freedom of 2nd Amendment Rights.

George Soros doesn't own freedom group, or any part of Cerberus, to my knowledge.

Still not a fan of freedom group or their companies
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

IIRC Kevin worked at Gemtech, left and then opened AAC.

No tto dig that up, but I think he was a GemTech Dealer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would speculate that if the AAC acquisition number of 40M is correct, that Cerberus had a non-compete clause in the contract preventing Kevin from creating a competing product for a period of years. Likewise, it's common for companies to specify that former management can't even be employed by a competitor. Most recent case I know of involved former Thomas English Muffin exec. jumping ship to Hostess. So far, the courts have upheld that non-compete case so the exec is SOL.

Was he fired or resign? Big difference.

Mark Hurd was fired for cause from HP and went to Oracle < 30 days later.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice little nugget from the interview...:

...Cerberus has committed lots of lobbying dollars to us to try and get things changed. Our goals right now are not the deregulation of silencers, which is pretty much what makes sense (however it’s probably better for our company actually that they’re regulated, it keeps a lot of competition out and keeps the price high). A silencer is classified as a firearm by ATF, and there’s a category called “any other weapon [AOW]” and that’s where silencers should be.

i hope i'm misreading that somehow.

You're not. Just trying to get the tax stamp changed from $200 to $5 so they can keep competition out but make more in sales.

What a douche.

It's actually a surprisingly candid comment. But it doesn't make him a douche, just honest.

"Our goals right now are not the deregulation of silencers, which is pretty much what makes sense "

Yes it is honest. But as one of the leading suppressor manufacturers with military contracts (specifically with FN who provide the military with SCARs), openly admitting that the deregulation of silencers is not their goal comes off as a little douche-bag-ish.

i don't care if his goal is "not the deregulation of silencers" or not. he makes cans for a living, not lobby congress. my problem with that statement was him [seemingly] saying "regulation keeps competitors out, so we can keep our prices high", and then backing it up with his desire to have them re-classified as AOW's... it's both anti-capitalist and anti-gun.

i can't imagine a guy starting-up and running one of the most successful silencer manufacturers is anti-capitalism and anti-gun though, so either i'm reading the comment wrong, or the quote was kind-of awkward.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to work for AAC, when they were still in Norcross.  Kevin was a GREAT boss, and I say that as a guy who was terminated for cause.  I was not an upper level employee (or a very good employee), but I saw a guy who had fun, and wanted other people around him to have fun while working there.  

His generosity was greatly appreciated by me and everyone else there.  His style was a little unorthodox, but he was creative, and surrounded himself with other creative people.  I'll be interested to see the next step and in what direction for AAC without Kevin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither was kb.  

Did you ?  How so ?

Prolly the part in red.

Your doing better than you think - 100% of the ornaments on my Christmas tree this year were made by you as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The writing was on the wall when they fired Cara.

$40m will ease the blow.

Isn't Cara his wife?  Your wife getting fired from what used to be your company would poison the business arrangement pretty quickly.  Of course nearly every single time I've seen someone sell their company and stay on as a CEO/employee it ends badly for them.  I say if your going to sell it, sell it and walk away, but if you want to keep it just keep it.  No matter the reasons, staying on almost always seems to be a bad idea.

I've seen it work exactly once.  Every other time it's a been a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why all the AAC hate? I own a few of there suppressors and they seem to work well.
Is it customer service issues or something?

They make decent to very good cans.  I own an AAC TiRant 45 and it'd prob ably the best 45 suppressor on the market.  But they are douche nozzles.  BS marketing techniques and and all-around ass-holish behavior.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither was kb.  

Did you ?  How so ?

Prolly the part in red.

Mark, always the consummate professional. Figures you'd stop by and gloat.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Now wait a minute, in the last couple of weeks I've read on this forum how great a suppressor AAC makes. Now in a span of a day or two, judging by the comments on this thread, AAC suppressors are crap. Well fuck, which is it? Crap or great? I'm hoping it's leaning towards great since I've already put my money down on a Ti-Rant 45.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I got 12 years in this business and none of this is surprising or out of the ordinary.

The only odd thing to me is if Kevin actually thought he was going to be able to stay there.

Joe G (SWR) did it right, said screw this shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Now wait a minute, in the last couple of weeks I've read on this forum how great a suppressor AAC makes. Now in a span of a day or two, judging by the comments on this thread, AAC suppressors are crap. Well fuck, which is it? Crap or great? I'm hoping it's leaning towards great since I've already put my money down on a Ti-Rant 45.

They make a fine product, may or may not be the "best" product for your specific needs.

There are others with proven much better CS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a fine product, may or may not be the "best" product for your specific needs.

There are others with proven much better CS.

Primary use will be on a 9mm AR. It may end up on a 1911 one day as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#37]
So glad I ordered a Silencerco Sparrow instead of the Element.  God knows how long I might have waited.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The TiRant 45 is a great can. You did well. Discussing AAC on ARF is a little bit like discussing civil rights at a KKK rally.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither was kb.  

Did you ?  How so ?

Prolly the part in red.

Mark, always the consummate professional. Figures you'd stop by and gloat.

It just may be that you don't know all there is to know here.

I don't know everything about the current situation at AAC. That's why I started the thread. I don't see how your comments helped shed any light on that situation. You hate AAC, we get it.
AAC and Gemtech certainly have had their differences like you have. But notice how Dr Dater conducted himself... Just saying this might not be the thread you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What happened at AAC was absolutely predictable at the time of the sale. With rare exceptions, when a company is bought/acquired by a larger or holding company, existing management is kept in place for somewhere between 15 and 24 months (18 average) until the new owners have a handle on the company's management and potential. Then, without any warning, top management is dismissed and the new owners install their own top personnel.

I have witnessed this in a number of companies significantly larger than AAC which were acquired by another, and this is not unique to the firearms industry.

This process rarely reflects negatively on the original top management; it is simply a normal business procedure.

Warren Buffett may be the most notable exception.  His policy has been to do everything he could to maintain leadership at the companies he's purchased, on the premise that "they made it successful, why mess with it?".  

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you ?  How so ?

Because like some other folks he is privy to some "inside" kind of knowledge and knew that Kevin and the Rem suits butted heads about certain things.  The comment about the cultures being too different nailed it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

Mark

Meh, don't have to be an insider or soothsayer to guess to that conclusion.

I've always seen Kevin as the kind of guy who would find it difficult to work for someone else.  To go from "the man in charge" to "the guy who runs things for these other guys" and make him beholden unto them would be a difficult transition for him, and apparently one he couldn't make.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Warren Buffett may be the most notable exception.  His policy has been to do everything he could to maintain leadership at the companies he's purchased, on the premise that "they made it successful, why mess with it?".  

That makes sense when you want the *company*. A lot of companies are bought because they have certain assets the purchaser wants.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TiRant 45 is a great can. You did well. Discussing AAC on ARF is a little bit like discussing civil rights at a KKK rally.

That's good to hear. And thanks for the chuckle I got from your comment!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

nice little nugget from the interview...:

...Cerberus has committed lots of lobbying dollars to us to try and get things changed. Our goals right now are not the deregulation of silencers, which is pretty much what makes sense (however it’s probably better for our company actually that they’re regulated, it keeps a lot of competition out and keeps the price high). A silencer is classified as a firearm by ATF, and there’s a category called “any other weapon [AOW]” and that’s where silencers should be.

i hope i'm misreading that somehow.

Could I get a link to that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Uh, the last thing I do is "hate AAC" ... AAC is now Remington, and my issues with AAC evaporated the moment Remington sucked 'em up.

Get your facts straight before you start throwing out baseless accusations.

Glad to hear you are over that phase. Does this mean we'll start seeing OBRs with AAC muzzle devices on them soon?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's also a normal business procedure for the departing, former owner to sign a non-compete agreement. I bet that any new venture won't involve suppressors for a while...
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, the last thing I do is "hate AAC" ... AAC is now Remington, and my issues with AAC evaporated the moment Remington sucked 'em up.

Get your facts straight before you start throwing out baseless accusations.

Glad to hear you are over that phase. Does this mean we'll start seeing OBRs with AAC muzzle devices on them soon?

Ya know, that was a couple years back when Big Green inked that deal ... guess I might oughta check with my buddy Greg.

Thanks for the reminder.

It almost feels like peace has been brokered between Israel and Palestine. I may have to order one of those LT706 / Harris deals in celebration.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top