Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a standard model w/walnut stock in late 2000.  All parts are GI except the trigger group.  The rifle is my favorite and I have several types of long guns.  It eats Port, South African and Australian with no problem.  I can do well with it using irons but eyesight is not what it used to be due to age and I scoped it a year or so ago.  I can really do things with it now.

I got a coupon with mine and got a SA 3rd generation mount and a 6x40 scope for something like $149.  The scope has been a good one.  The mount has never been used (for sale).  I went straight to a ARMS #18 old style and have been very happy with it.

I have read all sorts of horror stories about the newer rifles but from what I understand SA will stand behind the product until it is "right".  This applies to their optics as well.  I would by a newer model without hesitation.

I still want a LRB someday though.

SM
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My LRB is being delivered Dec. 5.  I admit it, I'm a gun snob.  Why buy cast when you can get forged (receivers and small parts).

When you are dealing with a $1200 - $1500 Springer, why not just wait a few more months, sell off a few guns you know you don't shoot anyways, Get rid of all those spare AR parts that have been collecting dust, and put a little bit away each paycheck to get the extra scratch.

My LRB was $2016.00 shipped.  22inch unlined criterion barrel, TRW bolt, all other parts are H&R. with a GI birch stock with a little tiger stripe in it.  I'm slowly going to replace the H&R parts with TRW as I can afford (TRW trigger group on the way already) and then when the LRB is all TRW I have another parts set from H&R to start on a new build. I have two stocks coming from Freds which I'm going to refinish myself.

Check out www.M-14forums.com for some real subject matter experts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an earlier one with a Winchester 1961 GI barrel and all M14 parts in it. Paid $1300 at a gunshow and it came with a 6X40 Goverment scope and a real low round count. This is my third M1A. One I bought was a loaded one ($950) - also with a 6X40 govenment scope and after  5 rounds the scope recticle canted. I had bought it as the second owner (the first had never fired it) and figured I would have to lay out some coin to get the scope fixed. NOPE! I paid shipping and insurance to SA, they repaired it and sent it back within two weeks postage paid.  I couldn't believe it when they told me it doesn't matter who owns it as long as it has their name on it, gave me a return number and told me to send it in. Top notch customer service and nice people on the phone.  I'm fixin to buy another one as soon as it becomes affordable. Look at the gunshows, many times you can do way better there price wise but study up and know what you are looking at. They aren't fast sellers at shows because of the prices but $1000 cash money can sometimes land you a real sweet deal at a show on a Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Well guys,

Perseverance almost paid off. I have been looking and looking for a M1A. Found a Springfield that fit my budget and was in excellent shape. Took the serial number down so I could call Springfield and get all of the information I could on it. The owner wasn't sure on some things.

The young lady in customer service was very nice and helpful. (I wonder if she was married? She sounded extremely hot!) Found out it was Pre 2000 and she said most of the parts should be USGI. I asked about their lifetime warranty since it was a Springfield and I wouldn't be the original owner. She kind of side stepped the question. She didn't really commit either way. All in all, I was quite happy with the answers I received.

By the time I got back to the gun owner, it was SOLD!!!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't fight the urge any longer. I decided to buy a new one. Wanting to make sure there wasn't any hidden clauses in the Springfield lifetime warranty, I called them again. This time I got some guy either chewing gum or eating something. You could say he almost had an attitude.
According to him, the warranty only covers the original owner. They would repair any rifle, but you would be charged. I asked what would happen to the warranty if I changed certain parts out and added USGI parts instead? With a smacking sound, he said it would void the warranty on those parts. The warranty was only good on the original parts, anything changed out would not be coverd. As long as I left everything original, the whole rifle would be covered for as long as I owned it.

I started making calls trying to locate a new "Loaded Standard". It seemed everywhere I called, "they were out of stock" or "on back order". The dealers that did have one or two wanted a fortune for them. I kept getting the old supply and demand story. Everybody wants a M1A now.

Several calls later, I located a shop that had two brand new factory sealed ones on the shelf and the price was right. The owner said he had ordered a standard M1A for one of his regular customers and it took him forever to locate one. It seemed that all of his distributors were sold out and supply was starting to dry up. His distributor had two of the "Loaded Standards" left so he took those too. After trying to locate one, I tend to believe him.

I'm sure that if I wait long enough, I'll find a nice used one with mostly USGI parts. But the urge is too great to own a M1A and for the price, I couldn't pass this "Loaded" one up. I'm sure you guys will understand what I mean, especially after saving up for it. And if Springfield stands behind their warranty, I'll just leave it the way it is and keep sending it back should there be any problems.

So I should be the proud owner of a new M1A shortly after Christmas.

(Next year I'll start saving up for a LRB.)

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow... what a story! You're making me very glad that I laid my new Standard away in November. I've always heard that Springfield's warranty was a no-questions-asked, best-in-the-business warranty though. So that's a little disappointing. Maybe they're backing-off on that because they've had to fix so many rifles lately. Oh well... mine will be NIB so if I have any problems I'll be MAKING them honor their warranty if I have to. Got me wondering about replacing parts though... Maybe I'll buy a new TRW bolt and put all-USGI parts in there and replace the whole bolt. That way, if I have a problem I can slap the original bolt back in there and send it back that way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top