Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the old Ragnar Benson books from the Paladin Press talks about making your own primers with either potassium perchlorate or chlorate.  The chlorate mixture is basically mix and use same day.   Very unstable and gets super sensitive by forming acid from moisture in the air.

The perchlorate mixture is as dangerous as making any other primary explosive that is intentionally shock sensitive in your kitchen.  

Chlorates are alot easier to make through electrolysis, as I understand it.  Perchlorate, I think you need palladium strips or something.

I wouldn't recommend do either.    Shock sensitive stuff scares me and I like having all my fingers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the old Ragnar Benson books from the Paladin Press talks about making your own primers with either potassium perchlorate or chlorate.  The chlorate mixture is basically mix and use same day.   Very unstable and gets super sensitive by forming acid from moisture in the air.

The perchlorate mixture is as dangerous as making any other primary explosive that is intentionally shock sensitive in your kitchen.  

Chlorates are alot easier to make through electrolysis, as I understand it.  Perchlorate, I think you need palladium strips or something.

I wouldn't recommend do either.    Shock sensitive stuff scares me and I like having all my fingers.
View Quote

Good stuff - thanks!

Agree.  To echo your concern to avoid chlorates:

While I am no chemist, I do remember a relevant news report from a decade back (was it in Army Times??).

Anyway - it was during the GWOT and our guys were suffering mostly from IEDs, so .mil set up a joint US/British study group on the threat.

IIRC, one day the brit guys decided to mess with chlorate mixes, and the US .mil guys flat out left.  They told the brits - if you are going to mess with chlorates, we are leaving the area!

I believe they made it just a few hundred yards before the brits had an accident, resulting in a fatality.  I would never mess with any “chlor “ type chemical, personally.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I majored in chemistry and I would agree that pressure sensitive explosives are nothing for the ignorant to play with.  Chlorates aren't crazy dangerous if you pay attention - but a slip in concentration could cost you a finger or an eye easily.  

It isn't like a metal / fluorine fire though ;-)

"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."
John Drury Clark, Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants

View Quote

But . . .

With the advent of cheap USB cameras, microcontrollers, and servos I'm sure that someone could whip up a remote mixing station to create the mixture and then "fix" it with a solvent.  That's what the real primer manufacturers do as well.  You could do the dangerous (yet legal!) stuff in a hole dug in your back yard while you control it safely from your living room. That's my plan if the drought continues into next fall.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  

I have not bought the kit linked a page back.  

But, the way it is designed is to mix very small amounts at a time to reduce risk.   I would go a step further and wear a full face safety shield and the toughest work gloves practicable.  

From industry videos on YouTube they work with a wet ball the size of a grapefruit - filling a thousand or more at one time! (Not a job I would want - but they seem to have it all figured out).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought of making some using matches for my 45.

Maybe 3-5 only. Proof of concept.

If you do 1 at a time, double eye (goggles and face shield) 1 primer going off is harder in the ears than the hands.

I think people get intro trouble by trying to save time and consolidate the priming compound into lots of 10 or more.

It’s tedious to only prep 1 at a time but:

safety > time

in this case.

I have enough primers to shoot my normal levels for a few years.

If I’m having to make primers to shoot at some point, I’ll pick up fishing or something else until things return to normal, if ever.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thought of making some using matches for my 45.

Maybe 3-5 only. Proof of concept.

If you do 1 at a time, double eye (goggles and face shield) 1 primer going off is harder in the ears than the hands.

I think people get intro trouble by trying to save time and consolidate the priming compound into lots of 10 or more.

It’s tedious to only prep 1 at a time but:

safety > time

in this case.

I have enough primers to shoot my normal levels for a few years.

If I’m having to make primers to shoot at some point, I’ll pick up fishing or something else until things return to normal, if ever.
View Quote

I’m in the same boat - for now.

I started this thread for those  who didn’t stock up when they could; also for those under ridiculous restrictions (like a background check just to buy ammo! Crazy - but I hear that’s how it is out west now).

Ammo prices being what they are, I imagine lots of men are taking a second look at reloading now (only everything’s in short supply).  

Hope I never have to rely on this thread I created, but I find it pays to be prepared for anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What if someone has a lot of LPP, and no longer reloads for pistols.
Is there a way to harvest the primer compound from the lpp’s and reapply it into srp’s?
No I wouldn’t do it, but the shortage did make it cross my mind in a total SHTF scenario.
I was thinking some sort of solvent. Hell not even sure if it’s legal. Just in theory
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What if someone has a lot of LPP, and no longer reloads for pistols.
Is there a way to harvest the primer compound from the lpp’s and reapply it into srp’s?
No I wouldn’t do it, but the shortage did make it cross my mind in a total SHTF scenario.
I was thinking some sort of solvent. Hell not even sure if it’s legal. Just in theory
View Quote

I am not aware of a possible way.

In a true SHTF, I would probably just waaaaay download rifle ammo.

EDIT: belay that.

- LPP is not the same size cup as LRP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My workaround was to get a .22lr pistol that I kept putting off.  Got plenty of ammo for that and the small pistol primers will go unused for a bit.

Large Rifle primers have been pretty easy to find so one option would be to shoot more rifle as we wait for other primers to come back.  This is as good a time as any to dust off the Lee Enfield.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I read these threads and cringe. Reloading in not for everyone. If you were my neighbor, I would give you primers before I came over to see you trying "make" your own. Then there are wood heads telling people its ok to use large rifle primers in pistol rounds.

Go ahead and shoot your eye out. How much is your safety worth?

Meanwhile I will quietly continue to mentor people on how to reload safely using my equipment and primers at the original price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's locked for everyone right now...  I can't see it either.

ETA:  I knew I downloaded the book, but couldn't remember what book it was.  I just found it and then googled to find the downloadable copy again.  Here it is.

Ammunition Making by George Frost

View Quote

Interesting book I hadn't seen before. Thanks for the link! I was intrigued with the annealing information it contains.

I used another site that lands you on the PDF so I didn't have to sign up for anything. PDF

I tried the match head route years ago, but it was a fail in my hands. More of a curiosity thing just before before I bought more primers.

The use of toy caps seems low risk and may be another curiosity I can't resist.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top