Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2017 7:36:27 PM EDT
This isn't a PCC, but this is the best place to put this.

Went to my local gun shop to see if they had one in the shelf. I have been stalking them on the net for a week and decided they looked interesting enough to see if I could find one locally.

Walked over to the case with all PDW stylish pistols and sure enough, they had 2 of the mini ones with machined lowers.  One in FDE and one in Burnt Bronze. $679 each. But....Bills has a sale that ended today and they were $489 on sale.

Bought it in the spot.

I have had old time MAC style pistols before and they worked, but were very rough around the edges, so to speak. This one is pretty damn awesome. The trigger is even short, light and has a short crisp reset. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I ran out to my favorite ditch to run a couple quick mags, just to make sure it worked. Ran a mag of 115 grain home brew as well as some 147 grain subs that I also load myself. Ran like a top.

Going to add a folding mechanism, a pistol buffer tube and a tail hook, that just so happens to be sitting lonely in my gun room.

The folding mechanism MPA sells is out if stock and also looks like it has a cant to it. I don't want that. Anyone use an ACE hinge on theirs? Looks like it could work as is, or with another hole/slot added.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the same gun and with the folding setup you mentioned (MPA mechanism, tube + Shockwave Blade) and a Vortex rds on top. You don't know how kickass this gun is until you suppress it. Really well made and reliable. Be sure to keep the extractor and ejector clean and use quality mags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice. I have factory glock mags and ETS mags mostly.

I machined a 1/2" x 28 adaptor and attached inside this cheapo pistol length AR handguard for a detachable extension so I can hold into something with my off hand. I think it looks good.

You should post a pic of yours.

I encourage anyone that has one to post a pic and some details.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always wanted the 5.7 version of what you have but was not willing to pay MSRP for it and I havent ever been able to find one.  Even gunbroker is pretty scarce.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I want the 5.7 too. That is what I was originally looking for. I found a few on GB recently. That may be on my short list.

I have 500 rounds of 5.7 ammo and no gun chambered in it
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I should also mention I put a Griffin 3-lug adapter and run this little bugger with an Omega 9K and a Octane 45.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
When HPA passes, I will get a few cans.

I said when, not if.....haha.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Interested in this also. PLEASE post pics when you put the Ace stock system on it, and show how and if it works.
I am surprised that we do not see more of these.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
After getting some questions answered from Skullsoilder (thank you), I realize that the current folding assembly that MPA sells isn't canted, I am going to go with theirs. They are also cheaper then the ACE ones that I would buy as an alternative.

I called and the gal at MPA told me that they note some items as "available to backorder" means that they have them, but they aren't going to rush to get them out. Instead of them shipping ASAP, it may take a few days to be shipped. Since this one will require no mods to fit, I went this way and ordered one.

I had built a 9mm AR pistol that I was trying to keep as short and compact as possible. I ended up switching it around now. It got larger so I need to replace it with something small. I first looked at the IMI Uzi Pro pistol. I told myself that it would be perfect if it took glock mags. I have 20-30 glock mags.

This is my replacement for the Uzi Pro, and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

So far, I really like it. The trigger is a very pleasant surprise.

I will post pics when I receive my parts from MPA.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After getting some questions answered from Skullsoilder (thank you), I realize that the current folding assembly that MPA sells isn't canted, I am going to go with theirs. They are also cheaper then the ACE ones that I would buy as an alternative.

I called and the gal at MPA told me that they note some items as "available to backorder" means that they have them, but they aren't going to rush to get them out. Instead of them shipping ASAP, it may take a few days to be shipped. Since this one will require no mods to fit, I went this way and ordered one.

I had built a 9mm AR pistol that I was trying to keep as short and compact as possible. I ended up switching it around now. It got larger so I need to replace it with something small. I first looked at the IMI Uzi Pro pistol. I told myself that it would be perfect if it took glock mags. I have 20-30 glock mags.

This is my replacement for the Uzi Pro, and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

So far, I really like it. The trigger is a very pleasant surprise.

I will post pics when I receive my parts from MPA.
View Quote
Glad I could help. I have the MPA and the Uzi and you're not missing out with the MPA. I like the Uzi more, but only for the sake of nostalgia. The MPA is a solid firearm and is, in my opinion, criminally underrated.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got a shipping verification email from MPA...to my surprise, it is supposed to show up tomorrow.

Pics to come once finished!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Received my folding assembly today. It is very nice, as nice as the ACE stuff. It came assembled, with the L bracket that is needed to install it on the older style stamped lowers, so I had to remove that...easy peasy...wrong! They must epoxy the F-ing screws I to the little L bracket. Ended up drilling the screws out from the back side. Once that was done, we were good to go.

Used a Damage Industries pistol tube that I shortened the front section of threads by removing roughly 3/4"...then machined down the first 3/8" or so of the unthreaded shoulder, so it would fit between the folding piece and the side charging handle. Once that was done, it was easy:)

It is rock solid, and nicely finished.

You can shoot it with the brace folded, but you cannot cock it when folded. Not the end of the world in my eyes. If it folded to the right side, the tail hook would block your hand from the trigger and may be in the way of the ejection port....so left side is fine by me.

It locks in the folded and open positions, but is just a push of a button to unlock.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great. I just put anTailhook on an Uzi Pro and on an MP5 K. They look awesome and are very stable. Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to suggest a tailhook brace before even reading this.

Looks great.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys.

With and without the handguard/flash can.....

For whatever reasons, my picture host always rotates my cell phone pictures funny..sorry.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#15]
HKDUDE - very impressive... And tempting.

What is the overall weight? How is the balance with aluminum foreend?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you.

The balance is actually very good with and without the handguard added. The handguard is pretty light, and the bulk of the weight is the area where it attaches to the muzzle, so not much hanging out in front. I can shoot it quit naturally with the tube folded and using one hand like a standard handgun, due to the balance.

I will weigh it today.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Help me understand, Does the folder fold to either side? Your choice?
BTW, I LIKE!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#18]
It folds only to the left. If a person used one of the ACE set ups, you may be able to run it upside down and be able to fold to the right. I just commented on what the problems would be if someone used a different set up because they wanted to fold right side.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#19]
How did you attach that forearm?

Could you still run a suppressor with that forearm attached the way you did?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How did you attach that forearm?

Could you still run a suppressor with that forearm attached the way you did?
View Quote
I machined a stainless steel bushing that is threaded 1/2 x 28 on the inside and the same outside diameter as the interior of the barrel nut segment of the handguard. The barrel nut segment has screws holding it to the newly machined bushing. So, no, you could not use it at the same time as a suppressor. However, MPA makes a factory forearm for them that attach with screws to the front of the pistol, so the muzzle threads are still open to attach a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you.

I have seen their's before.  Your round handguard idea is actually a better looking solution IMO.  Especially if using a brace and keeping it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
With handguard and no mag 5.2 pounds

Bare muzzle and no mag 4.2 pounds
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I machined a stainless steel bushing that is threaded 1/2 x 28 on the inside and the same outside diameter as the interior of the barrel nut segment of the handguard. The barrel nut segment has screws holding it to the newly machined bushing. So, no, you could not use it at the same time as a suppressor. However, MPA makes a factory forearm for them that attach with screws to the front of the pistol, so the muzzle threads are still open to attach a suppressor.
View Quote
Incidentally I own the little MPA forearm. It's neat, but it messes with the shoulder of the barrel collar and not all silencers will fit if it's installed. My muzzle silencers would loosen on the MPA, so I'm using a tri-lug now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Good to know. I may need a suppressor one day down the road.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, NOW how does it shoot??
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have only had it out a couple times on the edge of town to run a few for function tests. The 30-40 rounds that I have shot so far have been perfect function-wise. I a not one to make it pretty and then not shoot it...juat haven't had the time for a true range outting. I am hoping later part of this coming week. Want to sight in the Holosun and run a few hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Its a cool pistol. Why not get a Glock 17L? It seems to be the same length barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its a cool pistol. Why not get a Glock 17L? It seems to be the same length barrel.
View Quote
That is a very good question. And, I have a glock 34 with a comp on it.

The reason is the fact that I can easily add a folding brace and have something to hold onto with the other hand when shooting it.

Added....if the brace didn't exist, I would not own this.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#29]
So, you have had this for a while, let us know if it is still in your favor?
Can you tell us why this is not more popular and well regarded?
If you did not have the capability to machine the parts you did, would it still be what you wanted?
Is having to drill out the folding mechanism screws indicative of the quality?
I have been on the fence on this for a while, they are VERY hard to find in the wild, and that means the
dealers do not have any demand or do not care to sell the item.
Thanks, Tap
PS. I remember Skull's post back about a year, and you two are the only input I have seen on here,
ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ONE??
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello, yes, it is still in my favor. I would do it all again. I do still have to go shoot it more. I plan to get out this coming week.

The reason I had to drill out the screws on the folding mechanism is because they sent it with all of it assembled, which I assume they think they are doing some people a favor. In my case (with the news style machined lower) I didn't need to use the L shaped adaptor, so need to simply remove the 3 screws that held that part to the hinge. They must use some super tough loctite, so the little screws heads stripped out and due to that, I had to drill them out in order to remove. If I needed another one, I would juat tell MPA not to assemble the parts and it would have been no problem.

The quality of the folding assembly and the entire gun is very good.

I think they are not very popular because (like me) I think of the older style MAC semi-autos as being cheap, stamped, shitty welds, etc...so I looked at these little guns as a bit of a joke. Also, before we all got the ability to add a pistol brace..especially the folding option with the cool little tail hook...they made no sense to be because I could juat use a glock with a 33rd mag. Now I see much more utility with them.

The current gun a with the fully machined lowers are awesome. I would buy this one again, and may buy a 5.7 slightly longer version.

Almost forgot. If a person bought the SB Tactical short/open ended pistol tube, you wouldn't have to modify it at all.....I assume, because the length should be just right so you wouldn't have to shorten it to stop short of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the tip on the tube.
Now lets bug you a bit more and ask for some pics with the Yardstick next to it.
I would like to see length folded and unfolded, as well as top to bottom.
Thanks, I THINK!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Here you go. The end of the tape measure is in the same spot as the end of the gun. The angle of the picture makes it look like it doesn't. I had to steel the Holosun off of it for a new project. New one on the way to replace it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you , sir!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Was able to get to the range today.

Ran about 125-150 rounds of a combination of 115 grain and 147 grain plated round nose reloads.

Ran perfect. Was able to keep them in a softball size group from 25 yards standing.

It isn't as user friendly as my slightly larger 9mm AR, but real fun for what it is. It has a sharper recoil then my AR9.

I am glad I put this one together.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

I've been working on the 5.7x28 version of it.. Some teething problems with it not feeding (solved with a new magazine catch) and a broken firing ping, Now it runs fine and it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shot. Basically no recoil.

The iron sights are useless... I'm thinking on removing then and adding a riser/extender to put the Scorpion Evo iron sights.

Wouldn't a telescopic brace be something?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Very nice. I still need one of them one day too.

Was the original mag catch just out of spec or something?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]
No exactly sure what was wrong with the magazine catch... I was troubleshooting it with MPA until they said "send it to us". Was told that they replaced it and that was the end of that issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Gald to hear they took care of you!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Received my folding assembly today. It is very nice, as nice as the ACE stuff. It came assembled, with the L bracket that is needed to install it on the older style stamped lowers, so I had to remove that...easy peasy...wrong! They must epoxy the F-ing screws I to the little L bracket. Ended up drilling the screws out from the back side. Once that was done, we were good to go.

Used a Damage Industries pistol tube that I shortened the front section of threads by removing roughly 3/4"...then machined down the first 3/8" or so of the unthreaded shoulder, so it would fit between the folding piece and the side charging handle. Once that was done, it was easy:)

It is rock solid, and nicely finished.

You can shoot it with the brace folded, but you cannot cock it when folded. Not the end of the world in my eyes. If it folded to the right side, the tail hook would block your hand from the trigger and may be in the way of the ejection port....so left side is fine by me.

It locks in the folded and open positions, but is just a push of a button to unlock.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20170701_123155.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20170701_123226.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20170701_123251.jpg
View Quote
That's a slick setup
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]
WOW!

Very impressive build.  MPA should sell them set up like you have yours.  The length of the brace is perfect.  

Can I ask how much in it so far?

I really want an Uzi Pro with brace, but, have a TP9 and half been held back by the price.

I would love if one of the sliding PDW style braces for an AR could be added to a full size top cocking version for the retro style.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59047/mpa57-260199.JPG

I've been working on the 5.7x28 version of it.. Some teething problems with it not feeding (solved with a new magazine catch) and a broken firing ping, Now it runs fine and it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shot. Basically no recoil.

The iron sights are useless... I'm thinking on removing then and adding a riser/extender to put the Scorpion Evo iron sights.

Wouldn't a telescopic brace be something?
View Quote
How do you grip that? Hook your thumb over the CH and fingers on the...thingy?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Yup... Although the hand stop will be replaced with a light at some point
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
WOW!

Very impressive build.  MPA should sell them set up like you have yours.  The length of the brace is perfect.  

Can I ask how much in it so far?

I really want an Uzi Pro with brace, but, have a TP9 and half been held back by the price.

I would love if one of the sliding PDW style braces for an AR could be added to a full size top cocking version for the retro style.
View Quote
Thanks.

With the sight and mount between $1100-$1200. $325 of that is the sight and mount.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#44]
That is sweet. Looks like a nice setup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, going to work up some lighter loads for plinking and suppressor use.....so I am ready once HPA passes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#46]
This has been taking up my time recently:

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Please tell me about the folding mechanism on  the Charger!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#48]
How is the trigger?  Weight, length, grit?  Any aftermarket improvements?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Please tell me about the folding mechanism on  the Charger!
View Quote
It is a Hera Arms SFU...about $120. Very nice item. It has a little play, but not much at all. It can be set up to fold left or right. Locks open, tension keeps it folded pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How is the trigger?  Weight, length, grit?  Any aftermarket improvements?
View Quote
The trigger is actually very decent. It came with the trigger shoe. It is surprisingly light and smooth with a pretty short reset. I was expecting the worst.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top