Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Got mine. . As far as I can tell the barrel is parked and the aluminum receiver is anodized. The shotgun is finished nicely and i love the sites. I can't wait to get it it the range and give it a good workout.

My only complaint is the lack of flexible sling mounting options but I think that can be remedied with time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I finaly dug out my old three point Giles Sling Now i am in bussness.

Wilderness Giles Slings

I would still call and talk to them for the 930 though.

Link Posted: 11/14/2007 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I needed more cheek weld height so I added a Blackhawk stock pad with the shotshell holder and pouch it was then good to go with the ghost rings.  But after adding a Aimpoint ML2 I had lying around, I really liked it! Have 600 rounds through it so far.  Well worth the money. Need to figure out a single point sling mount though for between the receiver and stock.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I just picked up mine last night. I bought it from my favorite local dealer for $485, so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. When I got home, I disassembled and cleaned it as I always do with new gun purchases and am ready to head out to the range with it this morning.

I have one question. When I disassembled the gas system I found that the gas piston and seal ring which are depicted apart and as two parts in the owner's manual seem to be one piece on this shotgun. I mean I believe what is the seal ring is there at the front of the gas piston, but it appears to be a "captured" part. It is sitting just inside the front of the gas piston and I can see that it is a split ring with a beveled/angled surface facing outward and I can spin it, but I can't pull it out. In fact, I think I would have to pry it out to remove it. Is this the seal ring or is mine missing?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Never mind. I figured out that the exploded drawing in the manual reference the positioning of the seal ring has absolutely nothing to do with reality because the seal ring is actually inside the barrel guide tube. I unscrewed the hollow cap on the forward end of the guide tube and found the seal ring located under the heavy spring which you can partially see through the cuts in the guide tube. I would NOT recommend doing this as I had one HELL of a time getting this assembly back together. It takes a LOT of "umph" to compress that heavy spring. Anyway, I finally got everything back together and got to the range. The good news is that the shotgun performed flawlessly with both standard and low recoil "tactical" 00 buckshot shells.

I believe this Mossberg 930 SPX is a keeper!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice review of the 930 SPX in the January 2008 Shooting Times by Greg Rodriguez while attending a Blackwater shotgun course.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
tag for later cause i gotta have one
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im wanting a semi for 3-gun. This may be the ticket. Id like to see Knoxx make a Spec-Ops for it.
Not sure if I wanna go with this one, or pony up  a few more bones for a M2 or a new Winchester.

Is it a tighter gun than past Mossbergs? The ones I have used in the past functioned great, but had more rattles than a Jamican beach band.

I also want to find out if its a Billy Goat and will eat anything from weak ass bird shot, all the way to 3in slugs.

Receiver: Steel or alum?

Lastly, please tell me they changed the location of the safety

whats wrong with the location of the safety?

Hard to access if you happen to want a pistol grip stock, which I would.

That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice review of the 930 SPX in the January 2008 Shooting Times by Greg Rodriguez while attending a Blackwater shotgun course.

what was the overall verdict on the SPX?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what was the overall verdict on the SPX?

ar-jedi

Rodriguez stated in his closing comments that, among other things, "The new Mossberg 930 SPX passed with flying colors" and also "The SPX ran like a top with everything from slugs to light field loads, despite the fact that I didn't clean it once during the two-day course." Overall his comments regarding the SPX were very positive. His only negative comments were that he would prefer a slimmer forearm and a shorter buttstock (to better accommodate body armor).  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I looked at the review yesterday.
It is humorous that they didn't have the same problem Farnam did when he tried to run the 930 SPX through his course.
As for slimming the forearm down, I don't how that could happen.  The thing is already pretty thin as it is.  It stays pretty close to the insides as it is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting - that's the second article that mentions a Mossberg 930 SPX and a Blackwater course...this one does the same, though it is more on shotgun tactics than the 930...still, a good sign that the 930 is standing up to hard usage.  Anyone know of any LEO or military use, or is the system too new?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah they all seem to be from a new Mossberg/Blackwater "partnership". They both refer to a: Mossberg/Blackwater “Fear No Evil” tactical shotgun course or First Annual something.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish it had choke tubes. I use my benelli M1 for everthing from shooting steel to turky and deer hunting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
With or without choke tubes, an 18.5"-barreled scattergun will never be the best choice for use as an "all-around" shotgun.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
And it is easy enough to buy one of the other 930 barrels that is what you want.  They have the HD/deer or waterfowl combos.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Any news on a pistol grip stock for this? From any company?
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Last email I got from Choate was that the PG stock and the enlarged bolt handle were both expected by late February.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Got mine last week at Dick's...Didn't notice until I went to zero it with slugs and found my front sight is canted to the right.  It is canted so much that I had to adjust my rear peep all the way to the right just to get it on paper at 50 yards.  That SOB that was building AK's in Romania must have immigrated to the U.S. and is now working at Mossberg.  I am going to call Mossberg tomarrow.  

Other than that...I like it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Also....Mine didn't work all that well with light 3 dram loads.  Wouldn't cycle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Ahhhhh, the 9200A1 returns!
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Got mine last week at Dick's...Didn't notice until I went to zero it with slugs and found my front sight is canted to the right.  It is canted so much that I had to adjust my rear peep all the way to the right just to get it on paper at 50 yards.  That SOB that was building AK's in Romania must have immigrated to the U.S. and is now working at Mossberg.  I am going to call Mossberg tomarrow.  

Other than that...I like it.

I'm glad you posted this.  I went to Dick's today and noticed the one model they had on hand had the exact same problem as yours.  It was off by several degrees and was very noticeable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#23]
When I called their Customer Service #, the guy didn't seemed surprised when I told him the problem.  

I shipped the barrel on Tuesday to have it fixed .  I'll post again as soon as I get it back.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I just love mine.  Not a failure yet but I did have to change the color!!

CSF

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

CSF

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/mossberg2.JPG

Nice , mine is getting DesertTan , as we speak.

Does your red dot clear the front sight???

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

CSF

Very nice.  Please describe your light and sling set-up.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSF

Thanks

I was considering a similar set-up on a 500 Cruiser, but AR15-instinctively thought of putting the Docter in front of the LPA on the rail, even though it doesn't look like it'd co-witness anyway?...
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSF

Thanks

I was considering a similar set-up on a 500 Cruiser, but AR15-instinctively thought of putting the Docter in front of the LPA on the rail, even though it doesn't look like it'd co-witness anyway?...

It kinda co-witness.  There is a notch in my JPoint that lines up perfectly with the sights and the red dot at the bottom of the window.  The light is attached to a tri-rail that mounts on the magazine tube which I have a 660 Surefire with tape switch.

CSF
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#29]
How difficult do you think it would be to install tritium sights?
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How difficult do you think it would be to install tritium sights?

They are user level swaps:
M1
Adjustable front sights to be used together with SG ramps. Its height adjustment is approximately 4mm (.157"). Available in 3 styles:
M1B- White Dot
M1T- Tritium Dot
M1F- Red Fiber Optic

GHOST RINGS
Optional ghost rings. These are inter-changeable with BAR11R and BAR11W.
D4- Standard
D2- Twin Dot
D5- Green Fiber Optic
D3- Tritium              

Presision Sales
I believe Brownells has them also. I have a tritium front on one of the 500's barrels. The more I shoot the SPX, however, I find the Red Fiber Optic meets my needs better. I also prefer the plain ghost ring rear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks DMR!

The SPX is becoming more and more appealing. I would keep the fiber optic, but I have used them in low light and they tend to become as dark as normal sights.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#32]
That's what I don't like about them.  I'm probably going to switch them out for tritiums.  I tried them with my TLR light and it will make the front glow under very limited situations, but I don't like the dark front.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]
3Gun Gear  Side Saddle. I should keep me from worring about pinching the reciever. Something I have done on my 11-87.  I think Remington is using something like this on the 870 MCS.

You Tube Vid of the AMU using a 3 Gun Gear Side Saddle:
Army Pro Tips: SSG Johnson, PFC Horner Shotgun/Rifle Setup
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Here is a excert from a bad review of the 930

From John Farnam:

19 Nov 07

Mossberg M930, Autoloading Shotgun:

During an Urban Rifle/Shotgun Course in OH last weekend, a student brought a brand-new copy of Mossberg's M930 Shotgun. It is the first one I've had a chance to actually use and observe on a range.

Bottom line: The 930 is unusable for our purposes.

Problems became apparent immediately as the student attempted to manipulate the gun. Once loaded, the entire magazine tube must be completely voided and then subsequently recharged all over again, in order to return the shotgun to Transport Mode (magazine tube charged, hammer down on an empty chamber, manual safety "off," (Transport Mode is often referred to as "Cruiser-Ready"). In addition, when attempting the load the gun, it continually double-stacked, causing two rounds to be released from the magazine tube into the receiver, simultaneously.

After ten, frustrating minutes of attempting to come up with a viable handling procedure, we gave up and issued the student a Remington 870, which, of course, ran fine for the duration.

Some years ago, Mossberg produced another autoloading shotgun, dubbed the "Jungle Gun." Now long-since out of production, we had nothing but trouble with it too.

Mossberg is surely capable of producing functional shotguns, but this new 930 is utterly unsuitable for our purposes. Again, when making ostensible " police" shotguns, they need to talk with someone other than trap shooters!

Of course I have to look at this.

930 to Cruiser ready proceadure from a loaded chamber:
1. Place weapon on Safe, put muzzle in safe direction
2. Fully depress elovator with weak hand.
3. Pull charging handle to the rear, ejecting round in the chamber.
4. Observe bolt going forward to insure you are not chambering a round.
5. Partualy retract bolt to insure chamber is clear.
6. Release elevator.
7. Take weapon off safe and in a safe direction pull the trigger.
8. Place the weapon back on safe.

Hum, now when I try to do the same thing with my 11-87 I need more hands it seems, yet I can't remember anyone saying the 11-87 was not suitable for defensive work. Maybe it's the shortened EasyLoader Gunsite installed on my 11-87's fault.

11-87 to Cruiser ready proceadure from a loaded chamber:
1. Place weapon on Safe, put muzzle in safe direction
2. Depress elovator and easy loader  half way with weak hand.
3. Pull charging handle to the rear Just enough to eject the round round in the chamber. Go to far and you will release the next round in the mag tube.

If you pull the charging handle fully to the rear with the gate 1/2 up the released shell will strike the end of the elevator.  If you have the elevator all the way up the shell will eject into your fingers. You can then push it back into the mag tube and continue. With my short Easyloader the it will be stuck in the action and leave the bolt locked half way:

4. Observe bolt going forward to insure you are not chambering a round.
5. Partualy retract bolt to insure chamber is clear.
6. Release elevator.
7. Take weapon off safe and in a safe direction pull the trigger.
8. Place the weapon back on safe Remington's can not be placed on Safe with the hammer down.

Alternate method for each is to leave the shotgun cocked with the safety on. The cocked indicator in the trigger will show that the weapon is cocked. Depending on how you layer your safety measures either is a valid method. Some do not like to pull the trigger on a "Live" shotgun even if the chamber is verifided empty.

I don't recommend going to Crusier Ready from a loaded chamber. I have included it because a writer/trainer "disqualified" the 930 from use because he couldn't figure out how to go to Cruiser Ready from a loaded chamber. While from a range perspective it might be something to do, in actual defensive use it seems risky. Under stress it is to easy to miss Steps 2-6 and have a discharge on step 7. Since he thought it was an important feature it's included
I have managed to recreate the double stacking that he refers to if I do not fully insert a round. This I need to figure out. Intial impression is that the loading opening on the 11-87 is a little longer and allows a more positve loading. With the 930 opening up the front of the port an 1/8" or so would give you more positive insertion. The thumb seems to hit the lip of the 930 and believe that you have fully seated the round. You release it and have a shell on the elevator.

Bottom line know your gear before you use it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Small point but from Stress FireII, Massad Ayoob:

There are two schools of thought on fine points of cruiser ready.

One theory is that the gun should have a loaded magazine and empty chamber and be off-safe, hammer down.......

The other is that the gun should have a loaded magazine and empty chamber and be cocked and on safe........

Both descriptions are based on a pump action shotgun and have some quirks when translated to a semi shotgun. Safety on vs. off is also a carry over from the Remingtons. They can only be on safe if cocked. The Mossberg can be on safe with the hammer down.

That said disqualifying a shotgun for how you go to from a round in the chamber to, cruiser ready is interesting. To me it is largely a rangism. Once your shotgun is loaded in a actually defensive situation I believe that you will be more likely to un-load then put your shotgun back in cruiser ready once the situation is over. If you did not fire the shotgun then perhaps you would swap it back to cruiser ready.

Still not a drill that holds great importance to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks DMR for getting Choate to make the +1 tube.

Picked this gun up at Dick's other night, now I can use it legally in NJ with the +1 tube installed.

Link Posted: 1/29/2008 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#38]
From John Farnam:

19 Nov 07

Mossberg M930, Autoloading Shotgun:

During an Urban Rifle/Shotgun Course in OH last weekend, a student brought a brand-new copy of Mossberg's M930 Shotgun. It is the first one I've had a chance to actually use and observe on a range.

Bottom line: The 930 is unusable for our purposes.

Problems became apparent immediately as the student attempted to manipulate the gun. Once loaded, the entire magazine tube must be completely voided and then subsequently recharged all over again, in order to return the shotgun to Transport Mode (magazine tube charged, hammer down on an empty chamber, manual safety "off," (Transport Mode is often referred to as "Cruiser-Ready"). In addition, when attempting the load the gun, it continually double-stacked, causing two rounds to be released from the magazine tube into the receiver, simultaneously.

After ten, frustrating minutes of attempting to come up with a viable handling procedure, we gave up and issued the student a Remington 870, which, of course, ran fine for the duration.

Some years ago, Mossberg produced another autoloading shotgun, dubbed the "Jungle Gun." Now long-since out of production, we had nothing but trouble with it too.

Mossberg is surely capable of producing functional shotguns, but this new 930 is utterly unsuitable for our purposes. Again, when making ostensible " police" shotguns, they need to talk with someone other than trap shooters!  

Say "What??" I don't keep my 9200A1 Jungle Gun at the ready merely due to the fact my M500 has a SureFire Weapon Light mounted on it. I've never felt I had a "safety issue" with my 9200.

What DMR posted seems dead on for Cruiser Ready.  My 9200a1 is only a little behind my 590a1 for grabbing when the zombies come to eat my flesh.

BK

If this is built and runs like my Jungle Gun, I gotta get me one of dem!
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Farnam screwed the pooch on this one.  I don't know how he couldn't get the 930SPX into cruiser ready unless he didn't want to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Farnam screwed the pooch on this one.  I don't know how he couldn't get the 930SPX into cruiser ready unless he didn't want to.

There ya go. Mossy aint cool or hip.
BK
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BK

There's a lot of that.
I really liked reading how Mossy "hasn't learned the lesson from the Jungle Gun."
Of course the person that said that hasn't bothered to say what the problems were.
The 930SPX is just a 930 with some added features.  The 930 has been in use for quite a while without garnering a bad reputation.  It is the same shotgun, with the same operation.  It is not a new system.  I think this is where Mossberg did a great job of adapting an existing and proven platform.
And the other side of this is that it is very hard to find a 930SPX.  My dealer was telling me today that he has been trying to find one for his brother and nobody has one in stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BK

There's a lot of that.
I really liked reading how Mossy "hasn't learned the lesson from the Jungle Gun."
Of course the person that said that hasn't bothered to say what the problems were.
The 930SPX is just a 930 with some added features.  The 930 has been in use for quite a while without garnering a bad reputation.  It is the same shotgun, with the same operation.  It is not a new system.  I think this is where Mossberg did a great job of adapting an existing and proven platform.
And the other side of this is that it is very hard to find a 930SPX.  My dealer was telling me today that he has been trying to find one for his brother and nobody has one in stock.

I find it really incredible that someone like this Farnam person would compromise his integrity with such a transparently biased write-up, surely deliberate as you suggested, which makes it even more egregious.  The general bad-mouthing of Mossbergs without supportable data persists, kind of like Chevy v. Ford opinions -- seen it here countless times.  I challenged that particular poster above to cowboy up some facts for his generalized, un-specific, dismissive comments about 590A1s and the SPX here -- nothing yet...  In service, +20 years ago and now, no matter how badly abused, these guns just plain work!  

Interestingly, I generally don't read unsupported bad-mouthing of Rems, just the same complaints about the safety location and loading operation differences.  Rem guns are solid and no one seems to argue otherwise -- although I've never used one, I'm quite happy not to given my Mossies' unblemished performance.  Someday, I may buy one just to have one, but for now, I always seem to find better reasons to spend the money.

On that note, I'm still waiting on an SPX from my dealer, going on two weeks now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Mossberg 930 SPX: If it was registered as an SBS, and had the barrel cut down to 13.25" What mods would need to be done to the gas system? I have called Mossberg several times to ask, but all I ever get is voicemail. I want to make certain it is possible and will run 100% before I send in my $200.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Me, personally, I would not SBS a SemiAuto. There is such a wide variety of shells out here for them. I'd hate to think I could only use Brand X and Size Y to make sure my weapon was functional all of the time.

I'm positive you will have to play with the gas system to make this reliable at any rate.

My 9200A1 Jungle Gun eats nearly anything I force into its magazine.

BK
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Mossberg 930 SPX: If it was registered as an SBS, and had the barrel cut down to 13.25" What mods would need to be done to the gas system? I have called Mossberg several times to ask, but all I ever get is voicemail. I want to make certain it is possible and will run 100% before I send in my $200.

Currently a factory SBS is not in the cards. Your gas system would need to be tuned to make it work. I doubt if anyone has done the work yet to figure it out. A firm we work with is looking at custom mods for the 930 now. Late this year they may become availible depending on how it goes. The SBS is not in our play book.

We have some good comments from some of the 930 power users already. We shall see what develops

And to take a pointer from MagPul, when something is ready to release, it will be released. Until, then I don't know a thing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

. . . And to take a pointer from MagPul, when something is ready to release, it will be released. Until, then I don't know a thing.

Are you referring to that large east coast PD that was supposed go public last week or before on its selection of Mossberg?
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Making Mods to the 930 actualy.

Looks like the East Coast PD news release is going to go out at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

As soon as my dealer finds me my 930, I'll allow myself to get REAL interested in those mods real fast...

As for SHOT, it seems like the entire shooting-related world revolves around it and nothing at all happens in retail anywhere until its over!  Sucks when you need to order stuff and aren't at the SHOW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as my dealer finds me my 930, I'll allow myself to get REAL interested in those mods real fast...

As for SHOT, it seems like the entire shooting-related world revolves around it and nothing at all happens in retail anywhere until its over!  Sucks when you need to order stuff and aren't at the SHOW.

I think you'll like the SPX.  A lot.
DMR:  I got the light today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Check out GTDIST.COM in Austin,Tx They have them in stock, i bought mine there 1-09-2008.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top