Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
To recap: The lighter recoil spring didn’t work, obviously.

So I took this:

Cut it away from 10:00-2:00 to allow the barrel to clear.

You can see the barrel when the slide is cocked back, that it doesn’t contact the Concussion device.

I am a doctor,  not a machinist so it isn’t pretty.

So now, I hope I can make this :

Look like this again:
????????
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty good work, Doc! Are you a neuro surgeon ? ;)

Looks like the muzzle could have just been completely chopped off.  BTW, great photos!
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like the muzzle could have just been completely chopped off.  BTW, great photos!
View Quote
No. A Radiologist.

I hope I can reassemble it. Lol.

I had my can attached to the rig so I shot in the back yard right after work.  Then I decided to cut. Lol.

I used the sander to smooth out the edges so I wouldn’t get cut.  I might hand sand it with finer sandpaper but I just want it to work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Reassembly is easy. You got this!
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree, OP I'd have chopped the forward portion completely.  It will look much cleaner.  Does cutting it there give enough clearance for the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I like that setup a lot
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree, OP I'd have chopped the forward portion completely.  It will look much cleaner.  Does cutting it there give enough clearance for the barrel?
View Quote
The barrel, out of battery, should clear the upper front portion of the modded/chopped CD. I would also encourage CDR_Glock to  double check the rear upper portion of the CD to make sure no contact is being made with the barrel, out of battery.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The barrel, out of battery, should clear the upper front portion of the modded/chopped CD. I would also encourage CDR_Glock to  double check the rear upper portion of the CD to make sure no contact is being made with the barrel, out of battery.
View Quote
Looking at the wear on the dorsal margin of the barrel is what I used as my guide for trimming.  That is why I cut out what I did.

It is about a 1.5 cm point of wear in the long axis....

Do you think I should just lop off the rest of the muzzle on the concussion device? I haven’t reassembled it, yet, and I have to work today so it wouldn’t be an issue to take off the rest.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looking at the wear on the dorsal margin of the barrel is what I used as my guide for trimming.  That is why I cut out what I did.

It is about a 1.5 cm point of wear in the long axis....

Do you think I should just lop off the rest of the muzzle on the concussion device? I haven’t reassembled it, yet, and I have to work today so it wouldn’t be an issue to take off the rest.
View Quote
Yes, Sir. If just for aesthetics, I would.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, Sir. If just for aesthetics, I would.
View Quote
Muzzle-ectomy it is, then.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Muzzle-ectomy it is, then.

Thanks.
View Quote
Always better than a fusion with pins. ;)
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
In summary, I tried different brands of ammo, but the Roni as it stood, was not working with the suppressor. It was OK without a can. Thanks to Solscud for his YouTube video to give me the idea, and LOS from AR15DotCom to suggest cutting what I cut.

You see the rub point on the dorsal barrel margin.

I took off the excess steel, but questions were raised if the barrel would still contact the concussion device.

It was not pretty, either.

I mounted it onto my Bench vise and I let the dremel have its way.  Because of the protruding end of the Concussion device I was just going to cut it first, then trim the edges.

I sanded and polished the near finished piece.

The daunting task of reassembly was intimidating.

Because the rail screws did not loosen I did not bother removing them.

I placed the detent spring of the rail release and pushed the parts together, and I hammered with a plastic mallet.

The rest was easy

I now have clearance for the barrel.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent job..! Bet your FTE issues are gone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Excellent job..! Bet your FTE issues are gone.
View Quote
I hope so. Thanks for the advice.

It wasn’t as hard to reassemble as I thought, but the rail screws don’t turn independently.

I’ll test her tomorrow.

I impressed myself at how much smoother it looked doing the cutting for round two.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you able to insert the Glock w/ long barrel into the Roni without any disassembly??
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you able to insert the Glock w/ long barrel into the Roni without any disassembly??
View Quote
I have to remove the Stabilizer (secured by a screw) and the detent latch mechanism to insert it, with a 16” I’m afraid you’d have to open the clamshell, which is more involved.

The barrel I have is 10”.  I don’t know if disassembly is necessary for anything shorter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Doc, Your the man... looks great, I take it your going to add a suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Couldn’t you just remove the one hex screw that connects the latch block?  The brace is attached to the block.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know where the end of a the barrel would end up if using a 17L barrel?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Couldn’t you just remove the one hex screw that connects the latch block?  The brace is attached to the block.
View Quote
The detent spring is underneath so there is resistance.  The brace is also secured by a top screw. Mine is the original Stabilizer, not the newer one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Doc, Your the man... looks great, I take it your going to add a suppressor?
View Quote
Thank you.

Absolutely. It is the only reason I did all of this:

Added a 10” barrel, changed the recoil spring to a 13# on a SS Guide Rod (I also have a 15# waiting if it doesn’t work with my loads), and did the dremel work.

It was pretty rough before I did some minor magic, as you can see from the parts cut. It was hard to cut the barrel end of the Concussion device with the wider part overhanging, so I had to hack it off first, then I worked on smoothing out the ugly parts.

Of note, the G17 has more options for springs down to 11#, I believe in smaller increments.  The G19 only had 15 and 13 from what I could find from Rock Your Glock... it was also Christmas so many parts could have been sold out...

So after all of that mess, I went from this:

To this finished part.

I don’t have a 17L so I can’t answer that question.  I would have loved to have one, though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#23]
So it works but it was having issues with failure to return to battery by a few mm.  Since I have only 13# springs in it, I’m going to up it back to factory springs...I have 15# springs, too.

I hope this will be the last thing to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you having issues with or without the Can??
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Issues are with the Can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#26]
May be the weight of the can combined with the length of the barrel (acting like a cantilever) causing the barrel to prematurely tilt forward before the slide goes into battery.(?). Install the factory spring set and see how it functions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If it were me, I would chop and thread that barrel down so that the suppressor is just out in front of the chassis...
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If it were me, I would chop and thread that barrel down so that the suppressor is just out in front of the chassis...
View Quote
I would really like to see the current set up work for CDR_Glock but I think the weight of the Can extended so far out, is the Villain.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Somewhat bummed as I received a reply from KKM today regarding my inquiry for a custom 7” threaded barrel. I was informed that the longest barrel they make for a G19 is 6.20”.  They didn’t explain or give a reason why the max length is only 6.20”.

I replied and informed them that the G19 was going to be a dedication pistol for my micro Roni and that the barrel length had to be 7” to extend beyond the Roni muzzle in order to host a suppressor. I asked if they could make an exception. I’ll wait for their reply.

If KKM can’t make the barrel, I’ll contact Barsto or another reputable custom barrel company.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would really like to see the current set up work for CDR_Glock but I think the weight of the Can extended so far out, is the Villain.
View Quote
Yeah, the weight is the issue.

I really want this to work with the Can. If it doesn’t I will likely buy a 7.5” barrel.  It would cost as much as cutting and threading my 10”.

I switched to the factory spring which is heavier.  It has a more positive closure and return, unlike the 13#.  Factory is usually 18#.

With other Suppressor hosts, I realize I have to experiment with different recoil springs for reliability. I’ve done it with 45 ACP, 9 mm, 22 LR pistol, 22 LR Rifle, and 300 AAC, already.

If it works, great. If not, I’ll get a CZ scorpion or SIg MPX.

But if it does work after all of this, I’ll be pretty proud of the work as it has been a learning process.

I’ve worked on my other firearms, like my Mosin which is now an Archangel and have assembled a few ARs.

It’s all trial and error, but a lot of error, for now. Tomorrow will be my last trial...I’m hoping.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Where are you finding a 7.5” barrel? Is it threaded?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. Threaded.

Www.yrsinc.com

If you’re registered you get 10% off. Igbarrels20 gets you another 20% off.  Free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Great. I purchased my micro Roni through them. The 7.5 inch “threaded” barrel states it is not threaded, at checkout. I’ll send them an email for clarification, tomorrow.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes. Threaded.

Www.yrsinc.com

If you’re registered you get 10% off. Igbarrels20 gets you another 20% off.  Free shipping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Threaded.

Www.yrsinc.com

$329!!!  Possible 2 month shipping.

Damn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

$329!!!  Possible 2 month shipping.

Damn.
View Quote
I emailed them first and asked if what I wanted was in stock.  He said yes and it would ship the following week.  It took 8 days for them to ship.

But with the snow it took 2 weeks as opposed to 5 days.

I would think the 45 ACP, 40 and 10 mm are not in stock. Since there are too many of them in a Roni....
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I might have to go that route.

STRIKE ONE..: I called today and spoke to Dan w/KKM about ordering a 7” threaded barrel. Bottom Line: KKM doesn’t have the tooling/machine to do the job. 6.20” is the longest barrel they can make.

I sent BarSto an email. I’ll call Lone Wolf on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Same problem for the Beretta 92/M9.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, I’m pretty disappointed. But I WILL find one if it short dicks every cannibal in the congo..!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Well I had today off because it’s SATURDAY!

I tried 18 and 15 lb springs with no luck. I used different magazines.

I tried two different subsonic rounds: 147 grain, and even tried supersonic. With the can, this doesn’t work.  Could be the weight is what I’m guessing.

Worked without a can with all ammo.

Not sure if I need to cut more of the Concussion device.  I really don’t want to have to cut this barrel.

Any final thoughts before I give up on the 10” barrel?

LOL
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted: ... Any final thoughts before I give up on the 10” barrel?

LOL
View Quote
Get a smaller, lighter Can. Lol.

Seriously, you’ve done a great job on the Mod and I think you’re spot-on on your path to ruling-out the issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Get a smaller, lighter Can. Lol.

Seriously, you’ve done a great job on the Mod and I think you’re spot-on on your path to ruling-out the issue.
View Quote
LMFAO.

This is a 45 ACP can with 9 mm adapter.

I am in waiting for a 9 mm can but I only put in for it in October.  So 9 months away... Yay!!!  I have 4 Suppressors with one integrated into my Mark IV Ruger.  So suppressors have become a passion for me. If it weren’t, I wouldn’t be pursuing this labor of love.

The size and weight of the can has to be a factor as it shoots without a can perfectly fine.  I know the action with the can has a lot to do with what is going on.

Different loads did not make a difference: Supersonic or Subsonic. Tried 3.  Tried different magazines, also to rule that out.

I’m getting two shots off with a factory spring so I put that back in. The lightest spring cycled but didn’t return to battery. The mid weight spring had FTE.  The heaviest spring 18# cycled but only 2 shots at a time.

I cannot upload a video but there is still another rub mark in the Concussion device 12:00 position.

I’m thinking of two things:

Use a dremel and sand away the inner chamber since the barrel still hits the Concussion device or just lop off the Barrel like protuberance altogether.

I’m fortunate to have a 3 day weekend. I want closure on this project but it will likely take much longer.

I didn’t get into one of the most competitive medical specialties by a lack of tenacity so I will continue until I have exhausted all measures. I do feel like I am close.

Thank you, LOS, and I hope you find your barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#42]
If the barrel is still making contact with the CD, remove (dremel) material from the upper inside diameter  [12 o’clock] of the CD. In other words, make the upper ID of the CD some what oval shaped. Hopefully that will resolve your issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I had today off because it’s SATURDAY!

I tried 18 and 15 lb springs with no luck. I used different magazines.

I tried two different subsonic rounds: 147 grain, and even tried supersonic. With the can, this doesn’t work.  Could be the weight is what I’m guessing.

Worked without a can with all ammo.

Not sure if I need to cut more of the Concussion device.  I really don’t want to have to cut this barrel.

Any final thoughts before I give up on the 10” barrel?

LOL
View Quote
Most any decent machinist can cut and re thread a barrel and it shouldn't expensive. Find a local shop and call them to ask.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Well I used my Dremel to take material from the inner diameter. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to remove the barre since one of the screws was stripped.

Oh, well.

It still works without a can.

I’ll test it tomorrow to see if it works with a can. A friend mentioned a Recoil booster but I don’t know if I can acquire one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I cut the inner diameter but it still contacts the barrel.

My screws stripped so I though I was dead in the water...

This screw bit set actually worked so I was able to get them out.

The screw holes aren’t wearing out so far. I e disassembled it about 12 times.

I do plan to buy new screws as the heads strip.

I am cutting the concussion device as it makes contact with the barrel.  

The added weight of the Suppressor interferes with the dynamics of the slide.  Any contact with the concussion device is affecting cycling.

My dremel overheated so I’ll come back to finish the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I cut it down to this.

I still had some failures to eject.  I used Lawman 147 grain, Brass.

I had 4 shots work in a row, though, right from the start.

Then I had 2 in a row, followed by 3.

It didn’t feed aluminum cases, though. Blazer Brass 147 grain.

It had FTE for PMC 115 gr Brass...

I don’t know how much more to cut. Bwahahahahaha
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, I cut it down to this.

I still had some failures to eject.  I used Lawman 147 grain, Brass.

I had 4 shots work in a row, though, right from the start.

Then I had 2 in a row, followed by 3.

It didn’t feed aluminum cases, though. Blazer Brass 147 grain.

It had FTE for PMC 115 gr Brass...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190107/b2c5cdb3623f76dd340fb1af855705a3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190107/9a5eac86c0d873c178faf7ca3e0b6ca9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190107/edd9836deb2d84a21ba3c4e8842f7143.jpg

I don’t know how much more to cut. Bwahahahahaha
View Quote
If that doesn’t resolve your issue, you may have well start removing ID material off the chassis muzzle at  12:00 o’clock.

You’ve dedicated so much effort on this project and accomplished amazing work. Now is not the time to give up. I think you’re very close.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I received a reply from Barsto, today. STRIKE TWO. Here’s what they had to say about ordering a 7” barrel..:

“First that is extremely long for the G19 and will not shoot well at all even if (not sure you could get a 7" through the slide) could get the barrel tipped through. We would do the 6" but would not do a 7".”
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been watching CDR_Glock's posts with interest and dismayed the problems continue to maifest despite the continued mods.  I've got a 17L barrel on the way with the intent of using it in my Roni.  I took my G17 Roni apart and installed a pistol with the slide locked back.  This revealed the angle of the barrel relative to the shroud.  It appears that the barrel will hit the shroud no matter what.  So LOS's recommendation to take away material from the 12 o'clock looks like the only viable option if an extended barrel is used.  Without the shroud the two Roni halves are not secured though . .

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I think material has to be removed from the upper rear ID portion of the CD/ Shroud. When I take my barrel out of battery, I can see the tilt/angle of the barrel would easily touch the upper rear of the CD, if it was longer.

simply_ green, I can see that in your last photo.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top