Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
....makes it look like the M1 is some golden ass prize, and the FAL is the dirty little bastard stepchild that you can throw in the mud.

I can go along with that.

FWIW, I own (2) service grade M1's, a match M1, a match M1A, a match AR, and a DSA STG58A FAL (and have shot one of DSA's top-o-the-line FAL's

I still prefer the M1. No other rifle has what it it has. Ever.

Its a preference item. Comparing the FAL to teh M1 head-to-head is like comparing apples and mack trucks.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've yet to see a CMP garand that wasn't worth the $ 500 ,Yes some are well used but most are really nice. Youre chances of getting an M1 from the CMP that is worth more than $ 500 is very good ! As for Miltech, they overcharge for what you get if you ever do get it. Orion 7 has a good reputation but charges yu for it ! $ 1200 is to much for a refinished service grade that you would have a hard time reselling for $ 700.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that SteyrAUG sells M1 Garands for $400.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If a rifle can be dead-sexy it would be the FAL. Plus there is a very good reason something like 90 western countries adopted it as a service rifle. I have always wanted one.

But if I could only get one it would be the M1. It is after all part of our American heritage. I bought mine several years ago and love it.

Buy one rebarreled to .308 and you can shoot the cheap surplus stuff. More cheaper ammo means more cheaper shootn'. And that is always a good thing. If you plan on shooting a lot this might be the better way to go.

The Danish M1's are rifles that were rebuilt by the Danes after the war using Danish and some Italian parts. These are good servicable rifles that will have plenty of life and use left in them. Their cheaper, not because they aren't any good, but because EVERYONE wants a USGI M1. Supply and Demand.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
CMP M1 GARAND
Every one we get is one saved from the US Govt. cutting torch and scrapyard.
My CMP Garand is the best money I've ever spent.
It's easy for Orion7 to re-barrel it for 7.62NATO if you wish.
Flash suppressors are legal.
8round en-bloc clips can be left loaded for 50years+ without going bad.
Here's mine, that's grease, not rust.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both FALS and an M1 Garand and a BM59..my opinion is that you should get the Garand first.

Here is why:
(1.) The sheer history of the rifle. Some GI could very well have used it in Combat.
(2.) The rifle has a proven history of being reliable, and shooting in a variety of field conditions. Every thing from the hot volcanic Sands of Iwo Jima, to the Muddy Jungles of Burma to the Frozen Hell of the Battle of the Bulge and the Chosin Reservoir. To shooting it like crazy all night during full scale frontal assaults on Pork Chop Hill against hordes of Chicoms.
(3.) This is for Christmas, right ? During Christmas we want to get something "Special". And the Garand is very "Special". Its history, its caliber (30-06) which is more powerful than 7.62 NATO, its potential for accuracy, its Sights (which are superior to the FAL). Yes it is a funky rifle that has some serious drawbacks..but it is very reliable, very powerful, and very accurate. Right now there is a bill in congress which is threatening to destroy the remaining stocks of M1 Garands. These rifles helped fight the Nazis and Japanese and helped free Europe and Asia.

Get the Garand. It isn't as "modern" as the FAL. But it is a very special rifle more so than the FAL.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
As to the Danish garands.  Ugly as hell and got it cheap as the guys I trade with didn't like it after it came in.  When it shot circles around a customized Springfield with national match sites they wanted it back. Less than 2" @ 100 with open sights. With $1,000 get both a $400 Danish and a CMP $500 service grade.  Shoot the hell out of the Danish and keep the CMP for the history.  Buy that $500 FAL next year.  Bush is in the big house to stay for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
If your gonna get an M1 you should get one through CMP.  Then if you want to "accurrize" it send it to www.fulton-armory.com

A DSA FAL is really nice too!

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The M1 is too long, too heavy, fires an obsolete cartridge, has no pistol grip, flash hider, or detachable magazine, and can't take a folding stock or a bi-pod.  Plus it only comes in one configuration (unless you count those faked "Tanker" M1s that never really existed in the first place).

You can use the M1 as a service rifle in Highpower competition. Highpower is one of the best routes to first rate rifle shooting.

You can't legally put a folding stock or flashhider on a FAL. You could put either one on a Garand. The obsolete .30-06 can legally use AP ammo, and it has more horsepower than .308 in any case.

And the Garand has a longer sight radious and better sights.

The pistol grip is a disadvantage in hand to hand fighting, and is only used on "modern" rifles because in-line stocks pretty much require pistol grips. I like the FAL and the AR, but I don't consider their pistol grips an advantage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Perhaps you should first ask yourself what you expect of it. If you want a piece of history or a rifle capable of being highly accurate with some modifications, then the M1 is a very good choice. If you want something you don’t have to worry about dropping or getting dirty, and that accepts cheap ammunition, then the FAL is a better choice. If you plan to shoot matches, of course the M1 is the way to go.

The FAL has problems with dirt and sand, which is one of the reasons Israel dropped it as a combat arm.

So yes, you have to worry about getting it dirty.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
M1 has history and collector value.  But the FAL (I presume it's a post ban rifle) at least you can fun blasting away at the targets. I perfer the balsting value.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]

I got my Danish M1 from CMP last march.  These were loaned to Denmark after ww2, which means before that they were in the hands of americans fighting the germans in europe.  You pretty much know theres a big chance these saw combat in europe, whereas the history of a service grade is much more uncertain.  

The stocks are different than regular u.s. garands, and theres a few parts that are baretta instead of springfield armory, but they're same dang parts - who cares.  Also the VAR barrels used on many danes are considered better than standard u.s. barrels.  The danes kept these rifles in good mechanical condition.

My M1 - like the rest - will shoot poorly or accurately depending on the quality of ammo used.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I would recommend the service grade , I've gotten 5 danes ( and looked over probably 20 others) and they can be hit and miss. Three were excellent with new barrels but the other 2 were dogs. All the service grades have been really good, afew really nice ones" unissued rebuilds" like the one in the photo's above.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both .... but I can say that Garanditis is a lot more dangerous than being a FALoholic ..... even worse if you got both of them ....

Save the Garand, give it a good home ... they are part of our history !!!

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perhaps you should first ask yourself what you expect of it. If you want a piece of history or a rifle capable of being highly accurate with some modifications, then the M1 is a very good choice. If you want something you don’t have to worry about dropping or getting dirty, and that accepts cheap ammunition, then the FAL is a better choice. If you plan to shoot matches, of course the M1 is the way to go.

The FAL has problems with dirt and sand, which is one of the reasons Israel dropped it as a combat arm.

So yes, you have to worry about getting it dirty.

I believe the Israelis added sand cuts to the bolt carrier to solve the sand problem. AFAIK, they are still using the HBs over there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Only PRE-BAN Fals may have a legal flash suppressor.  Pre-bans cost considerably more than $1,000, IIRC.  ANY M1 can mount a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor.

A Ram-Line synthetic stock from Natchez Shooter's Supply costs about $50.

The M1 will accept any clip-on bipod, and Harris bipods can be attached to the M1 with only a little work.

IMHO there is little difference in the sustained rate of Aimed fire between the M1 and similar mag-fed weapons.  Sure the mag-feds have an edge, but it is not very large.

M1 parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

The "obsolete" .30-'06 is widely available,  more powerful, and longer-ranging than the .308, all things being equal.  Besides, you can have a MATCH grade Douglas .308 bbl installed by Champion's Choice that, along with the M1's vastly superior sights, will shoot far more accurately than virtually any FAL.

Folding stocks?  Again, only for the expensive Pre-Bans, and of limited utility.  Pistol grips?  We won WWII without them on the M1, and they're needed only on linear-style stocks.

The FAL is a fine battle rifle, no question.  But the M1 is not nearly as inferior, or as obsolete as some would have you believe.  

Get an ODCMP M1.

What is Smith Enterprises url?  I just got a T37 military surplus flash hider for one of my three Garands and it screws on in place of the gas cylinder lock.  I would be curious to see what the Vortex looks like and how it attaches.  Also, the url for Natchez.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree with raf.  If you want a good FAL (flash supressor, all the goodies), and not put together with shit parts, then you will spend 1000+.  

You gotta love the M1 garand.  American, for one.  Powerful, for two.  Historical, three.  If it is to be used for deer hunting...even better.  Get the M1.

(Yes, and eventually get a FAL).
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Did I mention you should get the Garand??

Get the Garand first.

You'll be buying another rifle within a year - you KNOW you will.

Get the FAL then.

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe the CMP now allows you to purchase up to 5 Garands per year.  Any confirmation of this?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
A local sporting goods store is advertising M1 Garands for $449.  What should I be looking for when I go to take a look?  What markings, dates, parts, etc.?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What is Smith Enterprises url?  I just got a T37 military surplus flash hider for one of my three Garands and it screws on in place of the gas cylinder lock.  I would be curious to see what the Vortex looks like and how it attaches.  Also, the url for Natchez.

Ask and ye shall recieve: www.smithenterprise.com
www.natchezss.com

Found them.  It does not show how the Vortex attaches, but since it said no gunsmithing, I would assume that it screws on in place of the gas cylinder lock as the T37 does.  However, it is $100 compared to $27.55, so I will stick with the T37.  The Ramline stock is a lot less expensive than some others my FFL was telling me about, but I can't find a picture.  Is it configured like the original or does it have that wierd ribbed buttstock like some Ramlines I have seen for other rifles?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I have CMP 1943 SA Garand. Came with a NEW military barrel that did need touch up crowning. Disadvantge is difficult to find cheap 30-06 compared to 308. CMP is running out.I dont want to give more than $5 a 20 round box. All $500 FAL I have seen appeared to be poor quality but the $800-$1000 new ones are excellent. For the price the Garand wins.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Vortex attaches as does the original gas cyl lock.  Ram-Line stock is a near copy of the original, except it needs less metal, an is paintable, if desired.  No BS grooves, etc.  It's a class act.
Genuine USGI T37s are WAY more than you quoted.  Shoot yours and see if the ends splay out.  They will if it's a gunshow fake.  Go Smith, and search for better prices.  Delta Press has 'em.

Got the T37 at Numrich.  They swear it is GI surplus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#35]
raf, look at these pictures and see if you can tell.  It looks GI to me, but who knows.

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Been reading the posts on Garands.  Is there a site address for CMP?  If not, how do you contact CMP?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Kali is not all of the west.  It is bordered on all sides by free states without the headaches that our friends have to deal with. No problemos with FALs in Idaho.

BTW, the FAL is a FAR superior battle rifle than the Garand, and I have both to compare.  My opinions of course.

Talyn
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Vortex attaches as does the original gas cyl lock.  Ram-Line stock is a near copy of the original, except it needs less metal, an is paintable, if desired.  No BS grooves, etc.  It's a class act.
Genuine USGI T37s are WAY more than you quoted.  Shoot yours and see if the ends splay out.  They will if it's a gunshow fake.  Go Smith, and search for better prices.  Delta Press has 'em.
ADDITION:
I've been told by Informed individuals whom I have come to trust that the only way to be sure that a flash suppressor is genuine USGI is to buy the thing still in the original sealed paper-like bag.  Thus the high price for one NIW.  That was my original meaning.
The fakes ARE very convincing, but there is also another way to tell.  The originals are cast, forged, and then machined, while the fakes omit the forging step, and so are prone to splaying open under use.
If you bang the tines lightly, like a tuning fork, the forged ones have a sort of "ring" that the cast fakes don't have.  The fakes are sort of dull.  Similar thing is dropping a silver quarter, and a modern composition coin.  Hope this helps, and I sincerely hope your suppressor is genuine.

raf, I know this is from a long time ago, but this weekend was the first time that I have fired anything at all since this thread ran.  I been out of the country.  I fired about 100 rounds through the Garand with the T37 on it.  The ends did not splay out and it does have a nice ring to it when you thump it as opposed to a thud.  I believe it is the real thing.  I waited until dark to try out my night vision on another rifle and decided to fire the Garand to see how much it hides the flash.  The flash is hardly noticeable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Where can I get the Garand flash hider for $27.50?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I would go with the FAL.  It's a more modern gun and has alot going for it for general use as well.  

The FAL gives you:
1)20rd detatchable mag

2)A variety of different parts from different countries to customize it yourself at home.

3).308 is FAR cheaper than .30-06, and despite what three people have claimed, it's a better performing cartridge.  M80 ball HAS longer range than the M2 ball (800m vs 600m) when tested on the NATO steel test plate during the 5.56mm trials.  The 7.62mm 147gr bullet is a better design than the .30-06 150gr, so it retains energy longer.  Since there's only 3 grains difference and 5 fps velocity difference between the two (2800 vs 2805 fps), the claimed power advantage of the .30cal just doesn't exist in reality.

4)Adjustable gas system.  Reference above.  The M1 also needs to use ammo that's very close to GI performance.  Too little power and it doesn't run.  Too much and it stands a great chance of bending an oprod (again, so much for the vaunted advantage of .30-06).  The FAL will CYCLE on everything from .55gr accellerators to 180 gr soft-points by just adjusting the gas to work with that round.

5)Easier way to mount optics.  There is NO good way to mount a scope on an M1.  With the FAL, you can mount a scope and have back-up iron sights.

I'm not going to knock the M1.  I own three.  They are great rifles and still will hold their own, but the FAL is a bit more of an updated design.  I'd say if you're buying a rifle for use, get the FAL.  If you're buying one for sentimental value, get the M1.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Where can I get the Garand flash hider for $27.50?

Here. www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=546790&chrSuperSKU=.  They don't splay out and they have a nice ring (see raf's post above), so I believe they are genuine.  I just ordered two more more my other two Garands.  The display says M1C and M1D but it finds a standard Garand as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#43]
A Garand is a must for any gun collection, I agree, CMP is the only way to go.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#44]
This is my first post here, and I have never shot a FAL, but between me, my dad, and my brother we have 5 M1 Garands and are happy with every one.

4 of these were from the CMP.  The first 2 had beautiful stocks and little to no headspace wear.  One of these was a low SN Winchester that was traded for a NM Springfield.

The next 2 were service grades and one of them had a stock that looked like it had run the bayonet course for years, but it shoots well.  Last winter I put a new walnut stock on it and now it looks nicer than all of the others.  My brother wound up with a nice looking and even better shooting H&R service grade.

All the CMP rifles get shot at high power matches during the summer.  Last year the three of us shot together in the Garand match at Camp Perry.  I also shot on a rattle battle M1 team with the NM Springfield.  This may be treason to say here, but I enjoy shooting the M1 in matches more than the AR15.  No, it is not nearly as accurate, especially in rapid fire, but IMHO it is more fun.

Glad to hear you are ordering a US service grade.  If you shoot any CMP high power matches you will enjoy having an M1.  Even if you don't, it will still be a joy to shoot.

The 5th M1 is my deer rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the FAL

There's one in every crowd huh?

Or two!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Garand.

Obsolete?  Ask the guy who you shot with it.  Oh wait, he's dead now, nevermind.

The FAL is great, love them, but Americans just make better guns.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Wave,for some nice M1's go to www.scott-duff.com and drool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Accept no imitations and grab an M1.

The fal may be the rifle of the free world
BUT
The garand is the greatest battle implement ever devised.hout

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M1 was a nice try at a battle rifle, however the FN49 had it beat and the FNL1A1 went the full distance.  Even the M14 was not able to beat it....

Funny, IIRC, the M-14 beat the FN in the last round of COLD WEATHER tests.

I wonder if the guys that ran that test were the same bunch that tried to sabotage the M16 Arctic tests. At any rate, for me, I'd like one each: M1, M14 and FAL! Going to go for a CMP Garand this year, hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The obsolete .30-06 can legally use AP ammo, and it has more horsepower than .308 in any case.

Why is the .30-06 the only one that you can use AP?  Not doubting, and I prefer the Garand and have a bunch of AP, just wondering?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top