Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm...anyone ever fired a weapon full of water?  or even underwater?  Common sense would tell me that it would probably explode.  I doubt if AKs are underwater capable as my fellow classmates would state.  And my classmates are officers!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to ask the SEALs
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
KMFDM,

Yea, I've heard of telestocks breaking at the receiver in jumps when some guy doesn't secure his weapon correctly.  I know I'd hate to have one broken against my body.  Ouch!  As for firing UW, that's what proper drill is for.  Water will drain from the chamber even when you're muzzle high (not real fast tho').  I've never experienced a Kb in a maritime environment myself.  The boys on the NSW side of the house seem to not have any problems and they spend a lot more time wet that I had to.  Now, if you have mud and water, that's a different story.

I'm still curious where this close combat with your friend occured.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmm...anyone ever fired a weapon full of water?  or even underwater?  Common sense would tell me that it would probably explode.  

There are pictures out there (somewhere, but I've seen them) of a Glock being fired underwater.  If the entire pistol is under water, it can be done.

However, my college roommage was testing his new .45 barrel in the shower (WTF?) with a 50gal barrel full of water, and he accidentally put the barrel in the water. It exploded just like one of Elmer Fudd's cigars.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
KMFDM, SARguy has called shenannigans and I'm with him
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
take a pick:

or

IMO, the AR is a better rifle in all the aspects that matter, but that's just my opinion.
HUNTER
OUT.

CHECK THE HANDGUNS FORUM
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Like you, I pursued this same question.  I consulted a fellow I know very well and who was in vietnam for 2 tours...ranger...LRRP...etc.  He should know.

I asked him this question:
"In jungle warfare, which weapon would you choose?"
a.  M16
b.  M14
c.  Rem 870
d.  Grease gun
e.  AK47

The answer was an unequivicable AK47, hands down.  Reliable, adequate cover penetration, firepower, and easy to manipulate in close quarters.

I expect the answer would change with the enviornment though.  Desert warfare would require longer range accuracy and longer range effectiveness.  I expect a full size 7.62X51 chambered, gas piston, magazine fed rifle of some sort. M14/Fal or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, sorry I did not specify where the combat took place: A place called Viet-Nam the person in question was a LRRP. You can believe what you will it is your perogative- and I personally don't give a rats butt what you think-my current job is to make sure people get back alive with what they are given-If you do not believe about the AK in the sand call Fort Bragg range control ask for who was out on range 65A last week and for the range control SFC. who was there, or ask the Picatinney engineer that was there also, Or maybe the gunsmiths for 3rd and 7th SF that were there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top