User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Some subsonic ammo testing with the Rattler and the SRD762QD-Ti

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/09/15/300blk-shootout/
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
So is the Ti sig762QD ok to use on the rattler? I was told even with subs it wasn’t ideal and to get a steel can due to excessive wear. Anybody have input?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So is the Ti sig762QD ok to use on the rattler? I was told even with subs it wasn’t ideal and to get a steel can due to excessive wear. Anybody have input?
View Quote
It’s ok to use - will the steel cans hold up longer than the Ti on a Rattler, absolutely.  I use a SRD762-QD on mine
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It’s ok to use - will the steel cans hold up longer than the Ti on a Rattler, absolutely.  I use a SRD762-QD on mine
View Quote
Cool. I might get a steel can down the road but I really just want a rattler upper and will only be shooting subs suppressed so I would think it would be much easier on the can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Full Nelson, an Omega 9k and A SDN6

Sico said no joy with 9k on Rattler, AAC said same for SDN6

Q said they have no barrel length restrictions and to shoot the hell out of it. So I have been. Holy #$%, it's quiet.

So quiet, I can live with the added length
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Q said they have no barrel length restrictions and to shoot the hell out of it. So I have been. Holy #$%, it's quiet.

View Quote
I have all 3 of those, as well (Pre-Remington SDN6).

I’ve shot all 3 on my Rattler

The Q stuff is very quiet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've shot all 3 on my Rattler

View Quote
How well did the SDN6 do?

I've got one of those. The Saker 762 was okay.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sico told me no problem using the 9K or Octane .45 with subs. It works quite well actually. I'm waiting on my Sandman K.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot all 3 on my Rattler

It did well, but was the loudest of any of my 762 cans, but it's also the oldest and been used and abused.  the old-AAC SDN6 was a great can.  I dont have any experience with the newer ones.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine's circa 2010, I think.

It has less POI shift than my Sakers, but more blowback than my 556k on my MCX. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@JAG2955

UAMCX-5B-300-BLK-TAP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@coregon

Do you have a part number for the complete Rattler kit?

Sig CS seems to be a little clueless.
@JAG2955

UAMCX-5B-300-BLK-TAP
Is there any idea when these can be purchased?  Sig CS has indicated that they aren’t in production and to wait for them to appear on the webstore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Is MI the only option for extended handguards? Does SIG plan to make one as well?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick question for the Form 1 SBR crowd: The Model is ‘Sig MCX’ or ‘MCX’?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Form 1 filed via Eforms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quick question for the Form 1 SBR crowd: The Model is ‘Sig MCX’ or ‘MCX’?

Thanks.
View Quote
My approved Form 1 is Sig MCX
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Rattler and have been generally impressed with its performance, but the trigger is pretty average. Mine was the version that came with the Magpul grip. I was at a local shop Saturday and handled one with the “Prototype” style grip and noticed the weight of the gun was different, the finish blacker and the trigger was outstanding, nearly as good as my Geissle SG2 in my Daniel Defense. Has anyone noticed an incremental change in the Rattler? Thinking of trading mine for the new one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since from the beginning, this Rattler has been a gun I didn't really need, but looked interesting, I decided to try something new for optics.

I went with a dual illuminated RMR, with the green triangle reticle, in this mount I stumbled across.  The mount is the ANVL UKON by ANR designs.  It incorporates a set of sights.  The front is a standard AR post, with a pistol style rear.  This should go well with the PDW theme of the Rattler, and I pretty much see it as a 50 meter and in gun.  If nothing else, I can use the RMR on another gun, if it doesn't work out here.

https://i.imgur.com/AuNLpzX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PLB6Q9B.jpg
View Quote
I have done the same.  I added a 1.0 MOA dot RMR to mine.  I do love a love a low mount so we'll see what she does.  I'll post a followup when I get a chance to wring it out.

And.. My trigger is very good.  It has the super small grip.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I own a Rattler and have been generally impressed with its performance, but the trigger is pretty average. Mine was the version that came with the Magpul grip. I was at a local shop Saturday and handled one with the “Prototype” style grip and noticed the weight of the gun was different, the finish blacker and the trigger was outstanding, nearly as good as my Geissle SG2 in my Daniel Defense. Has anyone noticed an incremental change in the Rattler? Thinking of trading mine for the new one.
View Quote
My Magpul grip has a pretty meh GI feel. It is heavy, with a bit of grit. I know it’s not the point of the gun, but it is a very mechanically accurate firearm, I’d appreciate if my trigger accentuated that strength rather than hindering it, especially at their price point.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone running the Geissele trigger in their Rattler? Worth the upgrade?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Magpul grip has a pretty meh GI feel. It is heavy, with a bit of grit. I know it’s not the point of the gun, but it is a very mechanically accurate firearm, I’d appreciate if my trigger accentuated that strength rather than hindering it, especially at their price point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I ended up selling my early Rattler and getting the newer one. After dry-firing, I can say the trigger is much better, no creep and a clean 4-5 lb. break.  It is very 2-stage like. I am going to break it down and have a look see at what's going on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone running the Geissele trigger in their Rattler? Worth the upgrade?
View Quote
My Rattler came with the new SIG trigger, but I found a Geissele on the EE for a good price.  Honestly, it's not that much better than the trigger that came with the gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I ended up selling my early Rattler and getting the newer one. After dry-firing, I can say the trigger is much better, no creep and a clean 4-5 lb. break.  It is very 2-stage like. I am going to break it down and have a look see at what's going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like I may have fell victim for one of Sigs notorious rolling revisions
Not a big deal but it’d be nice to not be left wanting aftermarket stuff on such an expensive rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a big deal but it’s be nice to not be left wanting aftermarket stuff on such an expensive rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a big deal but it’s be nice to not be left wanting aftermarket stuff on such an expensive rifle.
I was set on putting a Geissle in mine. With the new trigger from Sig, there’s simply no need to alter the trigger. I did compare it to my Geissle SG2 in another build and the Geissle is lighter, but the Sig is just as smooth.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]

The brace is solid but defeats the small footprint. ANVL is on point. Need to make a choice on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I am interested in buying a Rattler and have seen a few posts of different grips, trigger groups and finishes. Is there any way to tell if you are getting a newer gun ? I will likely be buying from a out of state dealer, looking for what I should ask about the Rattler they have in stock.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am interested in buying a Rattler and have seen a few posts of different grips, trigger groups and finishes. Is there any way to tell if you are getting a newer gun ? I will likely be buying from a out of state dealer, looking for what I should ask about the Rattler they have in stock.

Thanks !
View Quote
The non-Magpul K grip are the newer ones. The newer ones are more likely to have the better trigger. The best answer would be to try and call and find out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the info, I plan on calling to see what they actually have. A few of the pics online were of the newer style grip and flip up sights.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#28]
So when is the 5.56 version going to be available?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Form 4 for my can finally cleared today:

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Form 4 for my can finally cleared today:
https://i.imgur.com/p1blY2Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PI4sfsP.jpg
View Quote
Congrats.  Now it really gets fun
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Form 1 cleared. Awaiting stock arrival.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Needs an integral suppressor...also what's the ballistics like shooting say M193 from a 5.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Needs an integral suppressor...also what's the ballistics like shooting say M193 from a 5.5" barrel?
View Quote
What's you're seeing here are all 300BO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I WANT SUPER HEARING DAMAGE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#36]
That’s what ear pro is for.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#38]
What is the difference between the Sig Minimalist stock and the Minimalist Plus stock? In photos they look identical. Are the LOPs different?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:06:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What is the difference between the Sig Minimalist stock and the Minimalist Plus stock? In photos they look identical. Are the LOPs different?
View Quote
Height of buttpad on the + is taller.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the response. I am not sure what you mean, though. From photos it looks like the regular one has a higher buttpad. In fact, the only actual difference I can see in photos is that the + has the top corner rounded off.

Regular Rattler Minimalist stock

Minimalist Plus stock
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for the response. I am not sure what you mean, though. From photos it looks like the regular one has a higher buttpad. In fact, the only actual difference I can see in photos is that the + has the top corner rounded off.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/225/225139.jpg

Minimalist Plus stock
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/s/t/stock-x-fold-plus-blk-left.jpg
View Quote
Anyone know where these are in stock at?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/225/225139.jpg

Minimalist Plus stock
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/s/t/stock-x-fold-plus-blk-left.jpg
View Quote
Plus is has about an inch or more of height. Hard to tell from the pics but if you look at the triangular section towards the toe, the plus' is bigger.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Anyone know where these are in stock at?
View Quote
Haven't seen them in stock, ever, anywhere. Hopefully more coming soon but I do believe that the minimalist plus is going to be part of the SURG? Might mean less availability. Mine was scooped up from the EE in under an hour.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Those of you that have had them awhile and running with a can.. I'd like your thoughts.

Ive got a gen 1 MCX that I did a form 1 and chopped the 556 barrel.
I'm debating on doing the same to a 300 barrel or getting a Rattler upper.

My questions are:
I'm primarily interested in using it for hog hunting, how's the ballistics? And anyone notice increased wear on your can?

i'm a little unsure about a barrel that short for hunting purposes, especially with subs.
Any feedback is appreciated

@coregon
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Those of you that have had them awhile and running with a can.. I'd like your thoughts.

Ive got a gen 1 MCX that I did a form 1 and chopped the 556 barrel.
I'm debating on doing the same to a 300 barrel or getting a Rattler upper.

My questions are:
I'm primarily interested in using it for hog hunting, how's the ballistics? And anyone notice increased wear on your can?

i'm a little unsure about a barrel that short for hunting purposes, especially with subs.
Any feedback is appreciated

@coregon
View Quote
None of your questions are really unique to the Rattler. There are plenty of people that have killed deer or hogs, etc with 6" 300blk barrels. Your effective range is limited, but within that range you'll be fine. Barrel length won't make much difference for subs, because velocity is limited to remain subsonic, so no matter your barrel length, your velocity is basically the same. This also means that lethality is limited across the board for subs. Doable, but not as good as supers.
Supers are going to increase wear on cans and sound louder than the same can on a longer barrel, but those are properties that apply across the spectrum to every caliber, can, and barrel combo.

A 5.5" 300blk shooting supers will have plenty of energy to kill a hog within reasonable ranges. Subs might be effective depending on bullet, range, and placement, but that's just subs, not anything to do with the Rattler.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
None of your questions are really unique to the Rattler. There are plenty of people that have killed deer or hogs, etc with 6" 300blk barrels. Your effective range is limited, but within that range you'll be fine. Barrel length won't make much difference for subs, because velocity is limited to remain subsonic, so no matter your barrel length, your velocity is basically the same. This also means that lethality is limited across the board for subs. Doable, but not as good as supers.
Supers are going to increase wear on cans and sound louder than the same can on a longer barrel, but those are properties that apply across the spectrum to every caliber, can, and barrel combo.

A 5.5" 300blk shooting supers will have plenty of energy to kill a hog within reasonable ranges. Subs might be effective depending on bullet, range, and placement, but that's just subs, not anything to do with the Rattler.
View Quote
Thanks.
That was actually part of my question that I forgot to add, what kind of usable range would the 5.5" barrel have Vs say, a 8"?

I really like the idea of the rattler guess I'm worried 5.5" may be too short for what I wanna do with it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks.
That was actually part of my question that I forgot to add, what kind of usable range would the 5.5" barrel have Vs say, a 8"?

I really like the idea of the rattler guess I'm worried 5.5" may be too short for what I wanna do with it.
View Quote
Someone else might have better ballistics information, but from what I've read anyway, you should be good out to around 100 yards with barnes 110gr expanding ammo out of the Rattler.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

@Daggertt pretty much sums it up.

Rattler will be a little limited when it comes to distances, but anything in the 100-150yd range, you should be fine (ammo dependent, of course).

If you already own an MCX, you could always go 6.75" barrel and get nearly there, without having to purchase an entirely new rifle/pistol/upper.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Rattler will be a little limited when it comes to distances, but anything in the 100-150yd range, you should be fine (ammo dependent, of course).

If you already own an MCX, you could always go 6.75" barrel and get nearly there, without having to purchase an entirely new rifle/pistol/upper.
View Quote
@coregon

the 6.75 barrel is something I've considered, what length handguard would I need with that?
and something else (and I think I knew the answer but forgot) the bolts that come with the Virtus barrels, is it the same bolt I already have from the recall?  I'd prefer not to have to change bolts back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@coregon

the 6.75 barrel is something I've considered, what length handguard would I need with that?
and something else (and I think I knew the answer but forgot) the bolts that come with the Virtus barrels, is it the same bolt I already have from the recall?  I'd prefer not to have to change bolts back and forth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@coregon

You'd have to go with an SD rail with the 6.75" rail.  There's not a slim rail made for 6.75" (since its made to be shot suppressed) - so, that's a possible advantage to you with the Rattler, if you intend to do unsuppressed shooting, Rattler will win that over 6.75".

No on the bolts.  Virtus uses tapered bolt lugs, Legacy uses M16-style bolt lugs.

Virtus on left, M16-style on right:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top