BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
and don't worry about finding powder when times are tough to find any ammo

lots of places had 1lb jars in stock and 1lb will make a ton of 9mm when you use around 5gr per round

buy in quantity and find others in your area to do group buys with when you can save even more by spreading around the shipping and HAZ-MAT charges

powder and primers last forever when kept inside and dry
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Worth it to me. I load for my suppressed G19.

I load 9mm, with the components I want.

Best primers: CCI

147gn FMJ. Good start pressure, lower pressure by the time it gets out the barrel (quieter)

Win231, fast burning, quieter.

I load for about 16 cents. When I keep my brass, it drops to 13 cents. Plus, I get the exact load I want, it's quiet, and not excessive with recoil.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Be able to load 9mm.  During the great ammo drought I was shooting 9mm loaded with .38 super bullets and tula rifle primers. These were the last components I could get my hands on.  Many weekends I was the only one shooting.

Otherwise, unless you are retired, it ain't worth the time.

Save your brass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're not saving money, you're doing it wrong or just not enough.

The Dillon 550 is the best starter press hands down. Bought mine 20 years ago and it's still going. I have rebuilt it a few times. I couldn't tell ya how many thousands of 9mm and .223 plinking rounds that thing has churned out but it's a really large number with lots of zeros, not to mention all the other calibers I do on it.

Reloading isn't for those that can't sit still and do repetitive, monotonous work.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real question is, Are you willing to police you r brass?
View Quote

That right there is the biggest negative, you will become a brass Natzi. I will admit, I have spent an hour or more looking for those last few cases.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost everyone who shoots 9mm will shoot it in bulk, relative to other calibers. So although 9mm savings are less per round, cumulatively, it probably saves the most.

But pictures speak a thousand words. Just this afternoon, I decided that I needed 600 rounds for the range. So I made 600 rounds in less than an hour, at a leisurely rate. Here is a video of about 40 of those rounds made in a about a minute...

https://vimeo.com/137767141

Every time a round drops into the bin, that's money being saved. And notice how easy it is to make 9mm (for priming I have a pair of Dillon RF auto primers.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
All 9mm handloads,  the Extreme 147's in can 1 was loaded last year..   cans 2, 3 and 4 is 147gr Montana glod, can 5 is Precision Delta 147 I loaded maybe 8+ yr ago, still maybe 11-1200 in that can, and finally can 6 is 124gr Precision Delta 124's..

Each can is single headstamp, no mix stamp per can here

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]
its worth reloading to me,  I have been spending my spare time loading up,  I picked up 2K pulled bullets from RMR for 78.00 ea,  my primers are 20/1000, and my brass is free to a degree.  My powder costs me 22.00 a pound.  not sure what all that comes out to but I enjoy reloading so even if its not a savings I still get to do it.

besides I spent the money on the equipment to reload might as well not let that go to waste.........
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
If you buy in bulk, then yes, absolutely.  9mm is very cheap to reload, and there's a pretty wide assortment of cheap projectiles for it (check out black bullets international).  

If you're a USPSA/IDPA shooter it kinda becomes a necessity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Single stage press?  No.  I do have dies for making 9mm on the Rockchucker but that's just for load development.

On my 650?  You bet!  I enjoy making 9mm and 45 on it, especially 45 the bigger bullets are easier to pick up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top