BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bottle of Isopropyl alcohol I have in my bathroom cabinet has a warning printed on the label;to not use on widespread areas of the body.

Why do you think it has that warning?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15066739/

https://blog.gotopac.com/2016/01/06/the-dangers-of-isopropyl-alcohol/

While it's not going to kill you, wearing rubber gloves isn't a bad idea.
View Quote
chose your words carefully. This is a Technical Forum.
I let the first bs go but since you double downed and went to large font I have to step in.
Disagree if you want, but do so politely. Please don't use bs in this forum.
Remember not all posters will agree with you and it's best to let it go after the first attempt and move on.
dryflash3

Rules,
SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS
The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.

Fair enough although I don't think there was anything "heated" or insulting.  My point is common sense seems to be not so common in many parts.  Drinking too much water can kill you and I know people who have seen it but there aren't any warning labels on water bottles because just about everybody can figure out that you shouldn't drink 5 gallons of water per day...  and I don't know anyone who would advise against drinking "normal" quantities of (safe) water because it might harm you...

I'll make an effort to play nice (but sometimes it's hard!)...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing isopropyl alcohol is very good at is drying your skin, even at 50% concentration.  It can dry your skin so thoroughly that the skin breaks down and opens cracks...  You have to keep your skin in contact with liquid IPA for an extended period of time for it to go that far, but it can happen.  So unless I’m ONLY wiping off some bit of goop (or just removing Sharpie markings), I wear gloves when I handle IPA.

As for how the different concentrations of IPA work, I think 70% is too weak.  I tried to mix a little lanolin with 70% IPA, and there were a lot of settled solids.  It clearly didn’t dissolve the waxy content of the lanolin as well as my 91%.

Similarly, I made up some lube with anhydrous lanolin (a thick, nearly solid material) and 91% IPA.  It mixed OK when the anhydrous lanolin was warmed up, but since this stuff is mostly wax and almost no oil, the waxy content settles out and must be warmed up before it is again suspended enough to spray.  I put the spray bottle in very warm water for a while then vigorously shake it, and it stays mixed until it cools.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
<Removed>again.

I remove a post, stated why it was removed, post the forum rules, and you see fit to post it again?

I don't understand how you thought that was a good idea.

That bad idea was the thread killer. Don't do that again. dryflash3

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The red bottle heat uses methyl alcohol.
Keep it off your skin.
Methyl is really nasty stuff.
You CAN absorb enough through your skin to cause problems.

The 'other' one uses isopropyl alcohol.
Probably around 99% so it has maximum water 'absorbing' ability.
It is not all that much of a hazard at all.

If you try and drink it you will get the sheetz something fierce.

Picked up more than one alcoholic that tried.
Earned them a few nights in the hospital.
View Quote
I think you have that backwards.

Red bottle is ISO-HEET, iso standing for isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol as its referred to in their older FAQ

Yellow is the methyl
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
System Message
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top