Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Philippino 1911.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.

First thing that comes to mind is probably the 1911. I had a Springfield mil-spec back in 2004 that I hated. Traded it for a CZ-97. Swore I'd never own another again, then the Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman seduced me. Put a threaded barrel into it and it's now a pretty sweet pistol. Those bastards.

I'm pretty reasoned and careful about everything else. I'm considering getting an ACR despite swearing I'd never support Bushmaster again, so that may be the second instance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Glocks.

I've owned multiple 19, 23, 32 and I hated all of them.  I swore I'd never buy another Glock.  I ended up buying a Gen 3 G21 because I wanted to get into 10mm.  I got a G21 police trade in with NS for cheap.  Bought Storm Lake barrel and will try 10mm for first time.  I went with G21 due to the fact that it had spare mags and holsters to be found.  I have high hopes for the G21, but if it doesn't work out again for me, I'm not going to ever get another Glock.

The grips on Glocks suck for me, so I'll be doing grip reduction and trying my hands at stippling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger SR9, because I thought my G19 and G26 were good enough.  Now I have SR9, SR9C and SR40C and no Glock (well still have a G30).  BTW, the SR40C is really easy to shoot accurately for a sub-compact .40 caliber.

VZ58, because I already have several AKs, but saw an ad for a really good price locally w/ 5 mags.  Wow, this thing is really light and handy!

One more to add, two  Ruger Super Red Hawk- one  w/ 9" and one 7.5" barrel, ended up selling the 9" since I didn't have a use for it. And I still have not shot the one w/ 7.5" barrel- have plenty of ammo but no desire to shoot.  Reason I still have it because I got it around $400 in excellent condition.  It is a really nice SS (massive) revolver.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock. I wanted something different for some reason. Got an XD, then a M&P 9, finally listened to arfcom and got a G19.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, and 9mm handguns. And Glocks.

I have evolved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An AR15... it was too fragile, heavy, dirty, unreliable, and underpowered... until I actually tried one. Now I have many

This, and 9mm handguns. And Glocks.

I have evolved.

Yep, AR's were underpowered and inaacurate, Glocks could never be as good as a Smith 686 or at least a Beretta 92.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
AK's and SKS rifles...I always said I would never own one, and I was partially right.  I've bought probably a dozen or more, but have never kept any for very long (although I do miss the mint Russian SKS and factory Norinco SKS that took AK mags).
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock.
Me: glocks are shitty
Brother: wanna try my 34?
Me: holy shit glocks are awesome!
Me: buys glock
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Inline muzzle-loader.
For 30 years if you asked me I would have told you they have the ghey. (traditionals are cool)

But this past fall I had an unfilled archery elk tag and 3 days for a second chance with black powder.
I picked up one of these because it was time to quit screwing around and get the job done.

I thought I'd hate it. I wanted to hate it.

But I love it.
It's amazingly accurate. It handles like a dream. It has the best factory trigger of any firearm I've owned short of a pre-1970 S&W. And it's the cheapest firearm I've ever purchased.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Pocket .380, now I own a LCP.  How could I resist $170 OTD on a new one at Cabelas?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
ARs.

Carried and M16A1 or A2 for four years and had developed a hatred of carrying the thing around all of the time.  Time erased that hate and now I've got more than 1.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An AR15... it was too fragile, heavy, dirty, unreliable, and underpowered... until I actually tried one. Now I have many
View Quote

Same here. After experiencing worn out, vietnam era M16A1 rifles in basic and for the first 7 years or so in my NG unit, I was convinced they were shit, not being able to put together the fact that crap, worn out magazines and 30 year old rifles are a bad combination for reliablity, I was convinced the Mini14 was the best semiauto rifle out there

First hand experience with new rifles and quality mags has taught me that the AR platform is as reliable as anything else out there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Mouse Pistols in general.

Now I own a Walther PP in .32 and two SIG P230s in .380.  LOVE 'EM!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
So far, I haven't bought anything I said I wouldn't buy.  I came close once with a Astra 9mm but changed my mind at the last minute.  I have never regretted it either.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glock 19

Figured I would see what the big deal was. I had it for about a week before I got rid of it.
View Quote

I had a 21 for a few months.

I tried to like it. But that is one of four guns I am glad I don't have anymore.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So far, I haven't bought anything I said I wouldn't buy.  I came close once with a Astra 9mm but changed my mind at the last minute.  I have never regretted it either.  
View Quote

smart man
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
"The Judge"

Well, the S&W Governor actually. Same concept but a better chance of having a gun that works if I ever need it to work.

I didn't buy it because I am impressed with .410 as a self-defense load against two-legged attackers. I bought to fill a niche as a "canoe gun". In my misspent Florida youth, I worked at a fish camp / winter RV park. I also did guided canoe excursions. I never had a problem with Gators but on two occasions, I had a Cottonmouth climb into the boat with me The classic "snake charmer" is actually not that ideal to carry or swing around inside an occupied canoe but that Governor in a crossdraw shoulder rig would be just about perfect for those situations. Also, a light load of #9 shot will not penetrate those old Grumman canoe hulls like a typical handgun round surely would. When I carry it, I am primarily anticipating snake encounters. I usually carry three rounds of #9 bird/snake shot followed by three rounds of Georgia Arms .45Colt semi-JHP for bigger critters and two moon clips loaded with 230gr. .45acp FMJ for fast reloads if I need to press a defense. In addition, I keep a couple loud blanks and flare shells for signalling in case of a medical emergency.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Never liked Glocks before but when Guncrafter Industries came out with their 50 cal uppers for the G21 lowers that sealed the deal for me.  Love my G21 but that is probably because it is now a 50 cal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
A Glock. When I was new to shooting handguns I always thought Glocks were some of the ugliest guns ever.

Then I went and bought one, and it's my favorite handgun now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#21]
S&W M&P

Then I got a M&P 9 full size with three mags and night sights used in great shape for $349.

Still hate the trigger....

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Mosin Nagant.  

Now I have a M38 and M44 that I like a lot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Glocks.

Just bought a 19.3 today because of feels mostly
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"The Judge"

Well, the S&W Governor actually. Same concept but a better chance of having a gun that works if I ever need it to work.
View Quote

I've thought about getting a Governor, just because it's the only revolver chambered in .45 Colt I've seen for sale locally. My neighbor has one and he's killed a hog with it, and it doesn't seem like it's that bad of a gun, I just can't get over the whole shotgun pistol thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Taurus PT-111G2.   But then PSA put them on sale for $199 and I read somewhere that they would take P226 mags, of which I have many, so I figured I would try it just for the heck of it. I haven't had a problem with it so far.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Glocks

I am a crusty old SOB who didn't think plastic guns were anything I wanted to get involved with.

Some time back I got involved with someone on a multi gun deal and as part of it I wound up with
a regular frame G30 . It astounded me how bad it felt in my hand . Somewhat akin to holding a 2X4 .

Before I sold it off I decided to shoot it a bit . Still felt like crap but I tore the heck out of the target
with real results better than any 1911 that I own (and I have what I considered to be some pretty good ones)

Then I did another deal and wound up with a old gen 2 G19 that looks a mess and have since bought a G34 and a G26 and a G20
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've thought about getting a Governor, just because it's the only revolver chambered in .45 Colt I've seen for sale locally. My neighbor has one and he's killed a hog with it, and it doesn't seem like it's that bad of a gun, I just can't get over the whole shotgun pistol thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The Judge"

It's illegal in CA. Reason enough to get one knowing it pisses them off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Crossed another off the "Never going to buy" list when I bought an IWI Jericho 941 last week. Swore that I would never buy a 9mm handgun because I was happy with my 1911A1 and then saw the 941 range kit at a great price at a local LGS and couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Bullpups, I thought they were stupid.  Boy was I wrong

I love them, in addition 22 LR, I thought the round was a joke but I learned the benefits of shooting 22LR and the 22LR in particular the Ruger 10/22

Max
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
.45-70.  Rainbow trajectory, primitive, obsolete, loaded for antique weak actions.  Or so I thought.

Boy, was I wrong.  We have a "primitive" weapons deer season here.  Must be single shot, exposed hammer, blackpowder or centerfire in use before the 20th century.

Friends were extending their hunting season, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Got an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic.  Long barrel,  Williams target receiver sight and Lyman globe front sight.  Now I understand why they were so effective on buffalo and moose.  Incredible knockdown power.  This is a strong action, suitable for Buffalo Bore .45-70 "Magnum" loads and pointed more streamlined handloaded bullets.  For instance, I can see almost 2200 fps with a 405 grain bullet from that long barrel.  That's over 4,000 ft. lbs. of energy in a big expanding bullet almost one inch in size once it opens.  This is brown bear capable, especislly with monolithic Barnes bullets.  That big case can hold a lot of powder, if you have a strong modern action.

It just flattens deer.  They just drop.  Right there.  And its absolutely fun to shoot once you adjust to the recoil of the hot loads, which I would describe as "stout." I use it all season long now when hunting in brush or setting up a stand where shots are less than 250 yards.  You can always shoot the weak factory loads for target practice and to save your shoulder and wallet. If you don't handload, those Buffalo Bore cartridges are about $3 per trigger pull.

I drilled and tapped the barrel for a long eye relief scout scope so I don't have to remove the rear receiver sight.  I did add a slip on Lifesaver recoil pad.

In case I forgot to say so, it's just plain fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Glock.

Swore I'd never buy one and then a friend offered me a deal I couldn't pass up on a G20.

The Good:
10mm
Surprisingly accurate.

The Bad:
Squshy Glock Trigger.
Naturally pointed at the ceiling,
Thick as a 2x4.

Ended up selling it to another friend a couple weeks later.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Series 80 - 1911

After the crap I got from Colt - Only good use was to pistol whip the thug and save your knuckles.

Now I have a Non-Colt 1911 and its half assed decent. Good enough to let guests play with if they just have to try a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Sold every Glock I owned a few years back. Tired of the hype, fanboys and attention. I swore em' off forever....
I just purchased my 5th this year. Dammit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Swore up and down I would never buy a Glock, a little over a year ago I bought a 30S.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sold every Glock I owned a few years back. Tired of the hype, fanboys and attention. I swore em' off forever....

View Quote
Glocks are like that.  I only have a 19 Gen 4 now, but it is the best tool ever devised.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I have owned 11 Garands, 4 1903's, one Enfield and 13 Mauser's and decided one day that surplus rifles were no longer for me.

Then one day recently I picked up a Mosin, now I have three.

1. M44 Izhevsk (early import all matching no rebuild - pristine bore) - $275.00

2. 91/30 Izhevsk (rebuild - excellent wood and pristine bore) - $160.00

3. M39 SkY that is the most accurate surplus rifle I have owned out of the box. - $400.00

4. 1,000 rounds of Wolf 147 grain - $500.00

I can't stop thinking about buying more.  I could have bought these all day long 20 years ago for peanuts, however better late than never.  I can't say why I am attracted to these over the other surplus firearms I once owned but right now I can pick one up and bang steel with iron sights from 100-500 meters and it feels right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I prefer hammer fired pistols over striker fired but I do own a G17, G19, G43 and G42. I also just bought a PCC which I thought I'd never buy, a B&T APC9.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Glocks are like that.  I only have a 19 Gen 4 now, but it is the best tool ever devised.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To you? But no way in hell is that the best tool ever in general terms.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I said I'd never buy any H&K firearms.   I impulse bought a VP-9 then sold it not to long after.  
Not a bad pistol but they are over rated IMO
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]
After all the negatives I'd heard I swore I'd never own an Enfield No 5 Jungle carbine.  I took one in a small pile of guns in trade.  I like it.  Almost as handy a heavy timber deer gun as my Ruger 44 carbine ...which I also swore I'd never own but took in the same trade.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
An AR15. Many moons ago. Now I own several and respect the platform.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Glock, the Gen 4 finally made me give in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Glock in a new caliber, new to me.

10mm G20

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Fer me it was shotguns.  Sporting clays is my favorite thing to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Tommy gun.

Have one pending approval...
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Never had an interest for modern bolt actions in center fire cartridges.

Now I've got a Model 700 in .223.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I said I'd never buy any H&K firearms.   I impulse bought a VP-9 then sold it not to long after.  
Not a bad pistol but they are over rated IMO
View Quote

Same.  I had a USP compact 12 years ago that I didn't enjoy at all and I wrote off HKs as all hype.  I'm now up to two P2000s, an SK and looking at a 45 compact...
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Browning BDM 9mm pistol.   When it came out I laughed at a pistol having a selectable revolver mode.  

I saw one used in a shop and it just fit my hand.  IIRC it's mostly made by SIG.   Revolver mode is similar to DA only but you can still thumb cock the hammer for single action.  The other mode is the normal DA/SA set up.

It's about as perfect fitting the hand as any pistol I've found to date.   Kind of fits like a high power but a much more up to date design.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Colt AR
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top