Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP.

Jamomatic with the worst trigger I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Phoenix Arms .22LR

Not that it shoots bad, but it has to be one of the most "politically correct" guns on earth. It has more safety features than a volvo.

Just hope that the SHTF and you have to use that thing.....well, then again, you are screwed if all you have a .22lr to defend yourself anyway.

Good thing it was cheap, only about $125....comparatively speaking to a good gun.

But my girlfriend likes to shoot it, so I keep it around.

Can always teach the boy to shoot with it in a couple of years too.

with a little work with a dremel tool and removing the  lock that keeps you from working the sefety with the mag out the pheonix can be a decent little gun
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets see, I bought a Glock 30 .45acp pistol.  I wanted a compact pistol hoping someday I'll get a CCW permit.  I hate it.  Should've bought the 1911 style instead.  I also was not pleased with my Bushy AR15 shorty carbine, began to hate it after few trips to the range.  I recently removed A2 stock, added non-collapsible stock, and put Fulton Armory flat top upper.  Mounted my Aimpoint Comp M and I'M IN LOVE AGAIN :)  I also own a Mossberg 590A1.  Its a good shotgun but the barrel is too long.
It carries 9 rounds or 10 rounds (can't remember) but its too long for home defense.  I should've thought of that before my purchase.
Ok ok, I'm one of those fools that went out and bought a gun for Y2K.  I owned my AR, Glock and Rem700 way before Y2K but had to get the shotgun for added protection.   Only gun I don't regret purchasing is Remington 700PSS.  Something about bolt action, feels close to my heart.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Carcano - once dropped, thrice shot.  Atleast my history professor gave me double what I paid for it!  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you walked it up to the barn and chucked.  

Ammunition was another story...
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The Carbon 15 rifle. Started to tinker with it and it jammed alot. Finally got it working right and the bolt breaks off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of the first Bushmaster Assault Pistols (bullpup AR-15s, with a swivling receiver) when they were designed for the Air Force trials back in the early 80's.  I had to beat the damn thing against a fence post to get the bolt to lock in the forward position and fire a round!  I unloaded it onto some poor SOB and finally bought my first CAR-15!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
i got a qusetion for you guys.

if the sights are bad, if the grips sucks, if the trigger pull is horrible, if the mag doesnt drop free, if the finish is ugly ...WHY DID YOU BUY THE GUN???

these are all things that should be inspected before the cash is laid down.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The first would have to be an Essex 1911 clone that wouldn't feed anything even with extensive work. The next is a Taurus PT140. What a POS! The trigger was about 42 lbs. and gritty as hell. The latest is my Kimber Ultra Carry II. I was having problems with the new firing pin block but I polished some parts and it seems to work better now. I'm still not 100% confident in this pistol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
kel-tec p40   i liked the hell out of it till at a gun-show(maybe a beenie baby show with a few guns there) the guy tells me they droped the p-40 from there line because too many barrels were blowing up!   now that makes me really feel good as i went to there web and sure enough its no longer offered!   now i'm plumb scared of it as i can't grow anymore fingers...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Carbon-15.

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ECS:

I hear you.  The only gun I've ever sold was a Beretta Bobcat 22.  I couldn't hit crap with it.  I had about a 6" group at 7 yards.  Part of that was the sights.  Not that great, and a sight radius of about 3 inches.  Federal ammo jammed every magazine, but it liked Remington and CCI.

Despite the inaccuracy, it was actually fun to shoot.  But I'd never want my life to depend on it.

ditto! mine is a single shot!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I once stumbled on a commercial Mauser rifle chambered for the 9.3X62 cartridge. Seems this rifle had recently been brought over from Africa where it was popular as a lion gun. the slim, trim, stock with about a six inch drop and buttplate that couldn't have encompased over 3 square inches, just added to the mystique. I just had to have it, even though lions were relatively scarce in my neighborhood. Then there was the matter of ammunition. Only imported, and very expensive,  ammo was available and I could only afford a box of ten rounds. Now this ammo held about a 300 grain bullet.

Naturally, I was just itching to try out my new prize, so I collared by brother-in-law, who was a USMC drill sergeant at the time, indoctrinating the 'cruits on the M1 Garand.

When we got to our shooting spot, I was very polite and offered him first shot. I pointed out that we only had ten cartridges, so that would be 5 shots each.

Well, he settled into the standard Corps sitting position, aimed, and fired. From his subsequent flat-on-the-back position, with the rifle some six feet behind him, he looked up at me, and said firmly and clearly, "you've got nine."

Being the instigator of this shoot, I couldn't back down, so I took a go at it. It had to have been worse for me, knowing what to expect. Well, when that gun pounded my shoulder, I could only wonder whether the effect on the lion could have been much worse.

To show that I was the dominant male on the scene, I forced out another round. By that time I had tears in my eyes, which must have been evident to my B-in-L, since he began to make excuses as to why we should call it a day.

I have never sold that gun, the action and magazine are standard .30-06 length and I had dim ideas of someday rebarreling it to .270. Recently I brought up this idea to a gunsmith, who said I should make it a .25-06 instead. "270's kick too hard, for me," he explained. I just smiled.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
LLAMA .45
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]

kel-tec p40...now i'm plumb scared of it as i can't grow anymore fingers...

I haven't heard of that may kb's with it, and in all of the ones I have heard about, the shooter wasn't hurt too badly.  Just stay away from the 180 grain rounds.  One poster on rec.guns calls them the "kb special."  One of the regulars there, Jason Bayne, wrote: "The size of the 180 grain bullet and the amount of powder in the cartridge do not leave much room for error.  If the bullet is not properly seated this can cause the pressure to double or triple when fired.  This would cause a kb in an unsupported as well as a supported chamber...factories screw up somtimes to."  He was replying to the question of why you hear about so many problems from firing 180 grain 40 S&W rounds.  Note, he was talking about 180 grain 40 S&W in general, not just about the Kel-Tec P-40.

Here is a site with a description of one P-40 blow-up www.ktog.org/temp/p40break/.  Here's one image from there:

According to Kel-Tec, the round that caused this pistol to explode was a double-charge in the factory ammo.

bobbyjack, I wouldn't worry too much.  Worst case, assuming you wear eye protection, you'll hurt your hand a little.z
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just couldn't get into liking my CAI CETME rifle. Sights were way off, no decent way to mount a scope. Sold it off real quick...now I'm thinking maybe I should have held on to it a little longer.

southern ohio gun is running cia ctme @369.this month...go figure. is thought i wanted one, but that little voice kept saying keep the l1a1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can't stand my Kel-Tec P11.  It's a little piece of crap.  It's not worth the $200 I paid for it.

shoulda bought a highpoint carbine for that price.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
there's only two that come to mind; a mossburg copy 22 autoloader PMA-1 'been a POS shingle shot autoloader since day one. and a colt delta elite 10mm. won't feed anything! even tmj's get caught on the feed ramp. i've tryed everything to make it reliable, now it's a professional gunsmith. see if he can make it work. love the 10mm cartridge, but not the delta.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i got a qusetion for you guys.

if the sights are bad, if the grips sucks, if the trigger pull is horrible, if the mag doesnt drop free, if the finish is ugly ...WHY DID YOU BUY THE GUN???

these are all things that should be inspected before the cash is laid down.

Gun looked great, didn't dry fire it at all. I don't think I ever dry fired it. Couldn't tell it was a jamomatic based on looks and didn't do my homework before I bought it. There was plenty of word on the street that this was a gun to be avoided.

Live and learn.

Things like what happened with the Tomcat are the reason I now frequent groups like this so there was some good to come out of it plus I sold it for close to what I paid so not much harm done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A Kel-Tec P-32.  It's the perfect size and weight, but the quality is horrible.  I loved it at first, but after a few months of frustration and wasted money, I'm starting to hate it.  After the first couple hundred rounds, I haven't been able to make it through an entire mag without a jam.  I will never buy another gun (or anything else if I can help it) with only a single source for parts.  I've got over $800 in it so far, but it still needs a new barrel, frame, and several small parts.  Before you accuse me of being on drugs for having the world's most expensive Kel-Tec, here's the list of what I've spent:

$256 - Pistol, not including sales tax

$80 - 10 trips to the range at $8 each (that doesn't include gas for the 102 mile trip, each way...yes, that's over 2,000 miles of driving)

$140 - about what I've spent on ammo trying to find something that would work

$65 - wasted for a CCW class that I got kicked out of after my slide went downrange

$35 - shipping to send it back for Kel-Tec to only replace one small part and not replace any of the larger damaged parts

$15 - parts

$54 - ($18 * 3) magazines, because that's something good to always check in any semi-auto

$30 - approximate amount I spent in long-distance before I found-out they had a toll-free #

$150 - reloading equipment and components in a vain attempt to find something that would work

Anyway, I sent it back to Kel-Tec, and they only replaced one small part (slide stop spring).  A well-known smith, who works on Kel-Tecs, told me not to fire it without replacing the frame and barrel, so I've got a paperweight unless I take a $40 gamble on sending it back again.  A few pics of it are at users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/.z

I send that gun back and let them keep it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]

I bet you wouldn't.  Considering how much pistols now cost, you probably wouldn't.  Also considering how much it costs to ship a handgun you wouldn't.  Statements like that are easy to make.  It's not easy to do it.z
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Calico Liberty 50
Incredible looks, wonderful conversation starter
Blowback gasses hit you in the face on every one of the 50 rounds in the mag.  Horrid trigger that no one will touch because they have never seen one before.  6in groups at 25 feet out of a 16in barrel (Ransom rested) Very poor sight radius.   It will sit in the closet forever because the wife thinks it looks cool and dosn't want to sell it for somthing that we will shoot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I bet you wouldn't.  Considering how much pistols now cost, you probably wouldn't.  Also considering how much it costs to ship a handgun you wouldn't.  Statements like that are easy to make.  It's not easy to do it.z

Um......I think thats what he would call sarcasm?    Simma down now!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#23]

I think thats what he would call sarcasm

I guess you've seen me demonstrate just how frustrated I am at Kel-Tec.  OK, I'll settle down now...z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Worst....Springfield SAR-8, HK91 clone with aluminum receiver. Next in line, mini-14...constantly jamming, would'nt hold zero too well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've bought guns I have come to hate.

Same here.... Smith and Wesson 5904.... it was my first pistol ever and it was pretty cheap ($279 as a PD trade in)... fun gun for use as a "bullet hose" but otherwise it sucks.... bought night sights for it that have never been accurate... it's loose as hell, but Hi-caps are cheaper than Glock ones.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Euler, between your story & bobbyjacks comment on growing fingers; I just about busted my gut. I have shared your story with several others who have laughed hard. Thank you for brightening up our day!

Of dozens, I will mention 3 I severly disliked!

The first, was a Bohemoth Desert Eagle in .44 mag. It was an okay pistol, but man, you needed a hand truck to haul that sucker around, it was rediculously heavy.  I bought it about 8 years ago, I think it was because of the "cool factor"...after a few months, I dumped it in favor of more entertaining weapons.

Second, I had this short barreled O/U double barrel shot gun from some where over in Europe. I don't know what the deal was with it, but that sucker kicked worse than anything I have ever shot....even with its 2-3/4" shells. I'd rather have shot the .300 Win Mag any day. I also dumped that baby quick!

Third, I had a .308 Weatherby Vaguard in this ultra light short barreled version. That sucker also kicked bad. I don't know what it was about it but it was awful. Again, I would rather sight my .300 Win Mag than the stupid piece of hud.

Ken
Ken
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top