Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It showed up earlier than FedEx predicted. Would have been really fucking awesome if had a flash hider on it like I asked since they never sent it back with one from the 2nd return. I screwed the factory one back on as a thread protector since on the first fucking return trip I left my surefire mount on there and they returned it torqued as fuck without the goddamn timing shims.

One simple goddamn thing desert tech. I mentioned it in the emails and I'm pretty sure on the troubleshooting form as well. Bravo. Bravo.

I guess we'll see if it works or continues to choke.
View Quote
Sounds like business as usual from DT.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
At local PRS matches, I have seen four Desert Tech rifles (about 2.5 years ago, they haven't come back), and one of them fired 6 rounds before having a malfunction.  I have no idea if the malfunctions all the rifles experienced were ammunition caused or not, but I sure wasn't impressed with expensive rifles that all jammed or malfunctioned.

While it is entirely possible that all 4 owners of expensive rifles don't know how to reload reliable ammo, I think that would be statistically unusual.  I'll wait and see how new products turn out before forming an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It showed up earlier than FedEx predicted. Would have been really fucking awesome if had a flash hider on it like I asked since they never sent it back with one from the 2nd return. I screwed the factory one back on as a thread protector since on the first fucking return trip I left my surefire mount on there and they returned it torqued as fuck without the goddamn timing shims.

One simple goddamn thing desert tech. I mentioned it in the emails and I'm pretty sure on the troubleshooting form as well. Bravo. Bravo.

I guess we'll see if it works or continues to choke.
View Quote
Just sell it...if you can...and get a LMT MWS...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just sell it...if you can...and get a LMT MWS...
View Quote
I've had one of those for years.
16" cl barrel I had dimpled
21" noveske 308
24" noveske 6.5

The noveske's are freakishly accurate.

I must have a fluke gun though because it's absolutely reliable in any configuration.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

21" noveske 308
24" noveske 6.5

I must have a fluke gun though because it's absolutely reliable in any configuration.
View Quote
I am running a LMT MWS with 0 regrets...Tavor 7 might change that...but thats a fairly big maybe...I have a 13.7" pinned barrel and a 16" LW barrel by ADCO (that I recently got from Aussie_E).
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

21" noveske 308
24" noveske 6.5

View Quote
I'd sell it as fast as humanly possible while there's still interest in the things.

Once the Titanic sinks, nobody is going to want to be on board, and she's already listing heavily.

Maybe, like the Titanic, in 80 years it might be worth something as a historical oddity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually traded my MDR for my MWS and an extra barrel while the getting was good (first run release), best damn decision I made.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually traded my MDR for my MWS and an extra barrel while the getting was good (first run release), best damn decision I made.
View Quote
You should feel guilty about that
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
First round on setting 1 short stroked and jammed the empty partway into the chute. Switched to 2 and made it through 3 mags without issue which is an accomplishment for this rifle. Got a nice black streak down my cheek for my effort. We'll see how long it goes but I'm pretty much expecting to have another stuck case at some point. I've cleaned and polished the chamber before same as DT did but it's just a temporary fix.

Tried to shoot some groups but I forgot how much I dislike this trigger. I've shortened it up and improved it quite a bit from stock but there is still little to no feel for when it's going to break. Disclaimer: all my other semiautos are geiselle or Larue triggers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here...it is still in my reply to him on BPF. It is not the first time the SCAR, LMT, HK and others have been mentioned as inferior or having problems during their testing...my problem with statements like that is that in the real world...those platforms are cranking reliable rounds while taking down bad guys throughout the world...while the MDR in the real world...doesn't and chokes in the civilian, tacticool bench shooting environment.

For reference...ney1 is his handle on BPF.

DT Sponsored MDR Q&A thread.
« Reply #151 on: Yesterday at 03:21:45 PM »
Quote from: ney1 on Yesterday at 02:31:31 PM

Guys,

Been away for some time.  I just wanted to provide a public response to the In Range MDR video.

It is unfortunate that the premise of the In Range video was to start by trying to fire low quality ammunition that, in their words "doesn't usually function in other rifles they tested".  Many have asked why they can't shoot poor quality ammunition through the MDR with the reliability that they can through their traditional rifle.  The straight forward answer is "you can" shoot the crappy ammunition through the MDR just like your traditional rifle by removing the ejection chute cover and it will reliably side eject just like their traditional rifle.  Now why is this necessary to do with junk ammo?  Because the forward ejection chute requires that the bolt experience full rearward travel for reliable forward ejection so if you are shooting underpowered ammunition you have to get the bolt to travel all the way back by adjusting the gas pressure up, if your ammo is still too underpowered then pull the chute.  Now why does a traditional rifle shoot crap through it more reliably than the MDR's forward ejection chute?  Because the cycle length required to eject a cartridge out of a traditional side ejection rifle doesn't have to be a full cycle just like if you remove the MDR's chute it won't have to be a full cycle to eject the MDR to the side either.  So in essence if you want to shoot crap by some crap that will fully cycle the rifle if you want to use the ejection chute, if you got screwed into buy thousands of rounds of Malaysian bulk discount junk out of shotgun news that you are too stubborn to eat the loss on then pull the ejection chute off and side eject that garbage.

The MDR forward ejection works with fantastic relability if you use standard powered ammunition.  Whats crazy is we have tested the MDR against the scar, the mk18, the MR762, the sig, LMT, etc etc etc and people don't even know the issues that each rifle platform experiences but hey its the internet where everyones a freaking expert.  So bring it on keyboard commandos.

My response:

I applaud you for replying and coming back to the wolf's den...but come on Nick...are you really going to go and continue to say that other platforms that have been proven to work in both civilian and in the battle field world are not as good as the MDR...really...your MDR by design is an amazing...the best...but it has yet to prove itself that it can work without a hitch or breaking something...and that is your #1 problem with it...doesn't matter what fancy marketing you put out...about Maximum this and that...if it breaks or chokes...its hard to take the platform serious.

InRange did use standard power ammo as well as cheaper ammo..it was a great combo...your MDR didn't work reliably...their review was spot on sir...whether you like it or not...either learn from it and improve your product...or continue to be stubborn about it and think your MDR is perfect when it is clearly not ready. They did use Malaysian L2A2...but guess what...that stuff has been proven over and over again to work in pretty much all 308 semi autos you listed about...without a problem while delivering decent groups on par if not better than Federal XM80...but somehow...those platforms are inferior...please...

Removing the chute defeats the design the MDR is known for...either make it work or not...either way...if the MDR is only going to function with certain ammo...you need to make a dang good disclaimer that only this ammo will work otherwise the gun won't function as it is design...again...removing the chute is not the solution...if it is...then redesign and simplify the stupid thing...but until you are offering the MDR as is...removing the chute panel shouldn't even come out of DT's mouth as a solution.  Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

------------------------------------------

I guess...DT might want to release what are approved ammo that is guaranteed to work on normal setting (3) on the 6 position plug after 200rd break-in...InRange's video didn't allow XM80 (a spec'd NATO round) to fire until gas setting was on 5 or 6...and even then it choked...if I remember correctly...
View Quote
That looks about right, trashing other rifles with an actual combat track record as being inferior, while the MDR struggles to maintain even hobbyist level reliability.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First round on setting 1 short stroked and jammed the empty partway into the chute. Switched to 2 and made it through 3 mags without issue which is an accomplishment for this rifle. Got a nice black streak down my cheek for my effort. We'll see how long it goes but I'm pretty much expecting to have another stuck case at some point. I've cleaned and polished the chamber before same as DT did but it's just a temporary fix.

Tried to shoot some groups but I forgot how much I dislike this trigger. I've shortened it up and improved it quite a bit from stock but there is still little to no feel for when it's going to break. Disclaimer: all my other semiautos are geiselle or Larue triggers.
View Quote
Are you on a 6 position gas plug?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you on a 6 position gas plug?
View Quote
Yes

ETA: I don't have a set of pin gauges but I remember a post where someone measured the ports and the suppressed port on the revised 3 position was sized between 1 and 2 on the 6 POS. I may need to go back to that because I short stroke on #1 and rip rims intermittently on 2.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes

ETA: I don't have a set of pin gauges but I remember a post where someone measured the ports and the suppressed port on the revised 3 position was sized between 1 and 2 on the 6 POS. I may need to go back to that because I short stroke on #1 and rip rims intermittently on 2.
View Quote
Old 3 Position
S - 0.030"
N - 0.041"
A - 0.049"

New
1 - 0.015"
2 - 0.026"
3 - 0.037"
4 - 0.041" - Normal
5 - 0.044"
6 - 0.049" - Adverse
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that the original 3pos or the updated one?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
No Idea...I know there was the original and then the idiotic sleeved 3-position plug...but I am not sure if they changed the ports between those two or not.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No guilt whatsoever, at the time we were not aware of the extent of the issues, only had two range trips before I decided it wasn't for me and put it up to EE. It was a true unicorn and the offers were good and heavily on my favor. Love the MWS as I was looking for more of a DMR type rifle than a CQB, at my age I'm not going to be running and gunning with a 308.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No Idea...I know there was the original and then the idiotic sleeved 3-position plug...but I am not sure if they changed the ports between those two or not.
View Quote
They did. That's why they had to put the sleeve in I believe. To salvage the plugs already machined and reduce the port sizes.

I had an original(still do in theory) and it wouldn't make 5 rounds without sticking a case with SA ball.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Did not know that...I thought the sleeved plug was an update to the weaker design of the original plug...
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did not know that...I thought the sleeved plug was an update to the weaker design of the original plug...
View Quote
I'm pretty sure I have all 3 plugs but I can't find the first one. I remember because from the very first return they couldn't get it to run 100% even with the new plug on one setting but the old one did so they sent both back. That's the kind of repairs we're dealing with.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Suck...lets hope no more problems for you...but at this point who knows...maybe the polymer will crap or something next...hate that you and others are beta testers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
So mine worked great at first with the 3 position plug shooting DAG surplus.  Then it started ripping case rims off while suppressed.  I got the new 6 position plug, and even on setting 1, still ripping rims.

Looking at how the rims are ripped and the amount of the engagement the extractor has, I think I'm going to mill an "enhanced" extractor and give that a try.  I haven't measured yet but I believe there's enough clearance in the barrel extension for a wider extractor with more radial engagement, it also appears to me that the OE extractors geometry isn't exactly optimal for engaging the rim.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck to you. Maybe you can sell your design however it’s a dang shame you even have to undertake something like that on such high dollar weapon.

Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good luck to you. Maybe you can sell your design however it's a dang shame you even have to undertake something like that on such high dollar weapon.

Let us know how it turns out.
View Quote
If I didn't really, really want this thing I wouldn't bother fucking around with it.  But other than, you know, working, it's exactly what I want in a bullpup rifle, none of the others I've owned even come close to what this thing should be.  They all worked, but, I figure it'll be easier to make the MDR work than it would be to try and buttfuck a MSAR or Tavor or Kel Tec into having similar design and layout to the MDR.

It's too bad the guy who designed the thing didn't work for IWI or some other company who could produce a working gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#25]
No one can argue how great the design is...you can make some $$$ if your DIY venture pans out as well...so its kind of a win win for you...best of luck.

I do love my TAVOR SAR...with the Percival deflector...and ambi safeties...it works off-hand just find and it made it a better "ambi" Tavor...I could also run dual CH on it...but I am fine with the way it is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#26]
A design that doesn't work isn't great.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well...you know what I meant...I should rephrase...the concept of the MDR is great....
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tavor...I could also run dual CH on it...but I am fine with the way it is.
View Quote
I had dual CH on my X95 and it was worth it just is the symmetrical look "cool" factor. The CH on the SAR sticks out more so it my be a pita to store (I went with GHW folding CH on my two SARs).
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well...you know what I meant...I should rephrase...the concept of the MDR is great....
View Quote
10/4. Not really sure what was so revolutionary as everything they did had already been done on separate firearms. Maybe combining then into one platform was too much as it doesn't seem to be working out that great.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
10/4. Not really sure what was so revolutionary as everything they did had already been done on separate firearms. Maybe combining then into one platform was too much as it doesn't seem to be working out that great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point.  The concept of what they combined together that individual firearms previously offered, in an ergonomically correct (again IMO) package.  I'm not really up to speed about what other problems people are having other than the ripped rim/extraction issue.  Which is less to do with the concept of the rifle and (IMO) more to do with how the concept was executed.  I think the gas port should be closer to the muzzle than it is for one, though it's relatively close to where a SCAR gas port is.

This wouldn't be the first gun to rip case rims.  Hell, back in the day before the AWB sunset I had ARs that would do the same thing until I found out about o-rings under the extractor spring.

Am I upset we waited for years for a thing and when it came out it doesn't even work right?  Yes.  At the same time engineering this thing correctly isn't quite the same thing as FN saying "The FAL was pretty cool let's give it an AK bolt carrier, an AR bolt and a fancy stock" and boom, SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes the all-in-one concept is great...honestly...it had potential...
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes the all-in-one concept is great...honestly...it had potential...
View Quote
It had a TON of potential. Even more so when it was originally announced, back when it was like 1.5lb lighter, $500 cheaper, and had a plethora of caliber and barrel length options (remember the MDR-C?). Then reality set in, and I think that reality is that it’s easy to make high promises, but a lot harder to deliver those promises.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So mine worked great at first with the 3 position plug shooting DAG surplus.  Then it started ripping case rims off while suppressed.  I got the new 6 position plug, and even on setting 1, still ripping rims.

Looking at how the rims are ripped and the amount of the engagement the extractor has, I think I'm going to mill an "enhanced" extractor and give that a try.  I haven't measured yet but I believe there's enough clearance in the barrel extension for a wider extractor with more radial engagement, it also appears to me that the OE extractors geometry isn't exactly optimal for engaging the rim.
View Quote
Wow. Even mine hasn't ripped rims on setting 1. It short strokes on 1 and has ripped rims on 2. Polish the hell out of the chamber if you haven't already.

You're right on the extractor shape. My guess is they were worried about the scissor being able to kick them off the bolt face reliably if it cupped around the rim any amount. It looks like the gun inrange reviewed had dt's new wider extractor and it still ripped rims.

I agree on gas port placement as well. It's likely one of the root problems along with the scissor mechanism that requires so much bolt travel. Maybe the BCG could use more mass, change the geometry on the scissor mechanism? It would be nice if the mechanism could eject the case without having to slam the BCG to the rear. If it could get enough travel and then has some room to overrun. Seems like it would cut down the sharp recoil quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
T7 has the gas system way up front...almost looks intermediate...
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wow. Even mine hasn't ripped rims on setting 1. It short strokes on 1 and has ripped rims on 2. Polish the hell out of the chamber if you haven't already.

You're right on the extractor shape. My guess is they were worried about the scissor being able to kick them off the bolt face reliably if it cupped around the rim any amount. It looks like the gun inrange reviewed had dt's new wider extractor and it still ripped rims.

I agree on gas port placement as well. It's likely one of the root problems along with the scissor mechanism that requires so much bolt travel. Maybe the BCG could use more mass, change the geometry on the scissor mechanism? It would be nice if the mechanism could eject the case without having to slam the BCG to the rear. If it could get enough travel and then has some room to overrun. Seems like it would cut down the sharp recoil quite a bit.
View Quote
While it's certainly partly the extractor, partly the Rube Goldbergian ejector, and (in my estimation, as I haven't had a chance to do any high-speed filming) simply the bolt velocity. The bolt is too light, as you point out, and to get it all working even semi-reliably with the short gas system requires a very high reciprocating mass velocity. There's a combination of factors working against the design, and without pretty large modifications to the design and starting over... well, it's a tough hill to climb.

I'm still amazed that DT didn't do more prototyping and revisions prior to placing any parts orders from overseas.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

While it's certainly partly the extractor, partly the Rube Goldbergian ejector, and (in my estimation, as I haven't had a chance to do any high-speed filming) simply the bolt velocity. The bolt is too light, as you point out, and to get it all working even semi-reliably with the short gas system requires a very high reciprocating mass velocity. There's a combination of factors working against the design, and without pretty large modifications to the design and starting over... well, it's a tough hill to climb.

I'm still amazed that DT didn't do more prototyping and revisions prior to placing any parts orders from overseas.
View Quote
Originally the parts were milled on the prototypes...than they switched to the Asian market for the MIM parts...pretty sure everything except the barrel is from overseas Asian MIM manufacturers from multiple countries...but today's MIM is totally different as long as tolerances can be consistence.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah there's so many neat things about the concept of the mdr but like you say also there are so many things that have to work pretty much perfectly for the whole thing to function. I'm not sure which things could be tweaked to get the biggest improvement. I'm leaning toward gas port location. It would also be the easiest I would think.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. The design is flawed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Originally the parts were milled on the prototypes...than they switched to the Asian market for the MIM parts...pretty sure everything except the barrel is from overseas Asian MIM manufacturers from multiple countries...but today's MIM is totally different as long as tolerances can be consistence.
View Quote
Dubious quality and higher reject rates (with proper QC) aside, MIM from India can actually be perfectly fine.

The only issue I have is that so many pieces have to be ordered with each batch that practically speaking, revisions aren't going to happen. It's as though DT is trying to prototype in batches of 5,000 rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dubious quality and higher reject rates (with proper QC) aside, MIM from India can actually be perfectly fine.

The only issue I have is that so many pieces have to be ordered with each batch that practically speaking, revisions aren't going to happen. It's as though DT is trying to prototype in batches of 5,000 rifles.
View Quote
Agreed...like I stated. MIM today is all about holding tolerances precisely...safe to say...the parts are slightly oversized since there is a break-in requirement.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Agreed...like I stated. MIM today is all about holding tolerances precisely...safe to say...the parts are slightly oversized since there is a break-in requirement.
View Quote
To be honest, I think there are fundamental problems with the design, and it’s not just an issue with simply “breaking it in”.  Yeah, smoothing out a sharp edge or two in the MIM ejection chute may help a little with reliability in some guns, but in other guns it doesn’t seem to be a problem.  I really believe that DT doesn’t know what the problem really is, or is unwilling to face up to it, and saying that it just needs to be “broken in” is a cover for other fundamental issues.  Even broken in guns still have problems.  At this point, I think DT is just shotgunning fixes short of a a redesign and hoping something works.  It may be fashionable to blame MIM parts, but I don’t think that’s the problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Agree there is a problem with it. I was just stating that the only time you see break in requirements on firearms is when parts are oversized. Either on purpose by being custom made or do to inconsistent tolerances on mass produced parts received from vendors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

To be honest, I think there are fundamental problems with the design, and it’s not just an issue with simply “breaking it in”.  Yeah, smoothing out a sharp edge or two in the MIM ejection chute may help a little with reliability in some guns, but in other guns it doesn’t seem to be a problem.  I really believe that DT doesn’t know what the problem really is, or is unwilling to face up to it, and saying that it just needs to be “broken in” is a cover for other fundamental issues.  Even broken in guns still have problems.  At this point, I think DT is just shotgunning fixes short of a a redesign and hoping something works.  It may be fashionable to blame MIM parts, but I don’t think that’s the problem.
View Quote
I agree. They don't know what the causes of the issues are, they still don't understand that there are a lot more than the 3 types of ammo they've tested the gun with, or they know why the gun doesn't run consistently and it would take a lot of redesigning and $$ to fix so they're doing whatever they can to patch them.

Personally I am and have been leaning toward it has fundamental design flaws in current form.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#45]
My problems are certainly related to gas impulse and extraction.

When it functions, it does so flawlessly, feeding, ejecting everything. Then it reaches a point where some combination of chamber fouling, case pressure friction during initial extraction, and bolt acceleration is just too much for the extractor to overcome.

If the gas port were further away from the chamber, case sidewall pressure would be lower during extraction, bolt acceleration would be slower and slightly delayed, while it should still reach velocity required for function of the ejection system.

Most gas rifles I'm familiar with that have such a short gas system for such a large cartridge have much more inefficient gas utilization.  SCARS, AKs, FALs, all bleed vastly more gas when actuating their respective op rods than the captured, gas ring sealed short stroke piston in the MDR.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Heck that just gave me an idea that would be relatively simple to try as an experiment.

A new gas plug that was quite long compared to the OEM design.   But hollow, to act as an expansion chamber. That would slow bolt acceleration initially. I'm just unsure how much, or if it would even be enough to act differently.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Heck that just gave me an idea that would be relatively simple to try as an experiment.

A new gas plug that was quite long compared to the OEM design.   But hollow, to act as an expansion chamber. That would slow bolt acceleration initially. I'm just unsure how much, or if it would even be enough to act differently.
View Quote
Might be easier than creating a new extractor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Most gas rifles I'm familiar with that have such a short gas system for such a large cartridge have much more inefficient gas utilization.  SCARS, AKs, FALs, all bleed vastly more gas when actuating their respective op rods than the captured, gas ring sealed short stroke piston in the MDR.
View Quote
Interesting point - and IIRC KelTec changed the RFB gas piston from gas-rings in the Gen1 to none in the Gen2.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Might be easier than creating a new extractor.
View Quote
Yes. While a larger extractor would be ideal it's just a bandaid for the real problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Interesting point - and IIRC KelTec changed the RFB gas piston from gas-rings in the Gen1 to none in the Gen2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's an attempt to minimize the amount of gas vented in under the hand guard more than a necessity for operating energy.  But that's just a WAG.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top