Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2021 5:18:17 AM EDT
Mods feel free to delete my thread if this somehow against a rule, but I came across an ad (guess where ) for a PVS-7C with an Omni 6 tube for $1750 shipped.

I'm really unsure what questions I should be asking, I vaguely understand Omni numbers(ratings?) thanks to the sticky in this forum and the 6 seems to be a slightly older spec tube and 7 may be the current general standard but I'm thinking a 6, especially well within my budget of about $2300, might be a good unit for me to start out with.

Seems it also has a dovetail mount, so that should be easier to find good helmet arm things for than the bayonet one, right?

Are there any questions I should be asking the seller to find out if this is a good unit?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd save up a few more bucks and get a pvs14.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think if I get a 14 I'm going to want duals more and more
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you get a 7 you’re going to wish you had a 14.

And someday you can get a second 14+brigand voila:  duals.
View Quote

Is the 7 really that bad?

Always seemed to me, and my very limited knowledge, that the 14s are way better for military/defensive type usage because they let you have a free eye in case lighting situations change or a close in surprise threat is encountered.

Whereas the 7s basically block "regular" vision but are a bit more comfortable to use and maybe a bit nicer to still hunt nocturnal game with.

But that's all just assumptions, maybe I'm way off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if I get a 14 I'm going to want duals more and more

I've had my pvs 14 for two weeks and already want duals
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mods feel free to delete my thread if this somehow against a rule, but I came across an ad (guess where ) for a PVS-7C with an Omni 6 tube for $1750 shipped.

I'm really unsure what questions I should be asking, I vaguely understand Omni numbers(ratings?) thanks to the sticky in this forum and the 6 seems to be a slightly older spec tube and 7 may be the current general standard but I'm thinking a 6, especially well within my budget of about $2300, might be a good unit for me to start out with.

Seems it also has a dovetail mount, so that should be easier to find good helmet arm things for than the bayonet one, right?

Are there any questions I should be asking the seller to find out if this is a good unit?
View Quote

Honestly OP, the tube is really a toss-up. You are totally at the mercy of the seller, and the seller likely has no idea what tube is in there unless he installed it himself or opened up the NVG to find out (which poses a new set of questions for the seller). This is where buying from someone with incredible feedback really is ideal, and it certainly helps if the seller isn’t new to NV himself and he is honest in his listing about blemishes and information regarding the unit.

As far as the housing, you obviously want to make sure:
all the controls and adjustments work, the housing is milspec and not damaged, objective and ocular lenses are clear.

The PVS7 is more complicated, fragile, and heavy/bigger than the PVS14. For these reasons, the device is less favorable. There are also disadvantages to having both eyes seeing the same image (no depth perception / a false feeling that you have depth perception due to both eyes aided). Don’t plan on passive aiming either, although you still can depending on some setups.

Now my opinion as an owner of a PVS7 who also has used the 14 while in the military (who has a good amount of hours shooting, driving, patrolling with them): It is totally worth getting a PVS7 if it is a good unit depending on the conditions below.

Why it’s worth it depends completely on your budget, how often you plan on using, how you intend to use them. I can tell you that I have no substantial added difficulty seeing, shooting, or moving at night using a PVS7 than with a PVS14. I will add however that the situational awareness feels hindered by having both eyes covered. The effects seem worse when I am in a large open area like a field or lightly wooded area. You feel the need to scan the area more often to give your brain it’s desired amount of feedback. With the 14s, I felt like my unaided eye was getting some separate sensory stimulation that aided in depth perception and peripheral vision even though it is seeing a very dark area.

If the PVS7 is $1,750, it will easily cost an additional $1k or more to get a decent 14 with a warranty. Buying a shit 14 from AGM is not a good alternative to buying a decent PVS7. The  warranty is one of the best reasons to spend more money, as the bulk of your investment is covered by manufacturing defects which can take years in some cases to cause issues.

Now, if your budget allows $3k for the NVG alone, and you are willing to wait to receive a new unit and save up money again for all the other necessary items, it’s probably best to just buy a good 14.

Even with a Wilcox G11 & Tarsier, I’m still under $2,500 for everything that is helmet & NVG related. Once I am ready to upgrade, I know I will get back (or profit on) what I have invested in the PVS7.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FPNI nails it.

For $500ish more get a brand new PVS-14...more than worth it IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI nails it.

I know you said $500ish, so I’m going to cut you some slack.

$1,750 + $500 = $2,250. Please show me the new PVS14 from a reputable vendor (such as the ones who sponsor this forum) with a decent tube and warranty for $2,250
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my PVS-7 for casual use around the yard and star gazing.  I have a high resolution tube I got for a good deal imo.  I had a custom adapter made for my telescopes and it is amazing allows you to see things you would need a scope 3 to 4 times bigger to see.  I plan on using it predator hunting in combination with the new Wraith 2x scope this year, I think it will work fine.  If its only for defensive purposes then the 14 may be better but I have never used one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$1,750 + $500 = $2,250. Please show me the new PVS14 from a reputable vendor (such as the ones who sponsor this forum) with a decent tube and warranty for $2,250
View Quote

Is $2450 close enough?
Night Goggles, Inc. XLSH PVS-14
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is $2450 close enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is $2450 close enough?

As long as their beard guy is happy, thats what matters...
(I often gaze up at the sky and wonder if beard guy is seeing the same things as me)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is $2450 close enough?
View Quote

That is a solid deal on a Gen 3 tubed unit. It is also completely out of stock (NGI would be better suited to know when it will be available again), but when I tried ordering tubes from Elbit, I heard it was at least a 90 day order fulfillment - I am not sure if that is still the case or it is better/worse. Stock is the issue like cars, houses, ammo, video cards, etc. Hell, even side by side UTV's and used cars are selling at top dollar right now... If you can get it new at that price and it is in stock, by all means jump on it.

I don't know the OP's budget, but most PVS-14's, are going north of $2200 right now on used units (I see some gen 2+ used going at over 2k!). However, if you need it now, you're going to overpay in the current market. If you can wait out the current demand, you will get a better deal so long as any of this tech is not executive ordered away or something stupid. Pricing on used NV is at a premium right now, but people are paying it, since quite a few vendors are also running into delays. I knew of at least a half dozen vendors who were waiting weeks on Carson glass orders.

I may be a little biased in this, because I am pretty sure he was looking at my PVS-7C on the EE.

I personally run a Sentinel, an RNVG, and a manual gain MOD3 - so duals for me. That PVS-7 I kept around for stargazing and I prefer the PVS-7A/C optics over the B/D optics. That was a niche device for me, though and parts are less common. If this was your only NV unit, I'd probably want to get into a PVS-7B/D or a PVS-14. In terms of a PVS-7, I don't like walking around with them, because they lack depth perception since the same image is just copied to both eyes. I can walk around, but I need to do it a bit slower.

While I seldom run a single monocular, I would prefer a single PVS-14 if I was moving around a lot. For stationary observation, I always prefer a 7 (even over my true duals sometimes). For moving around, a 14 or true duals.

All this being said, Sam from TNVC has some great videos out there on YouTube that will help you better understand NV and how the technology functions. He took the time to make and edit the videos, and they are worth a watch. This is just 1 of many.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Omni specs are the minimum the tube must meet and although the VII are higher vs the VIII tubes we've been seeing surpass the VII minimums, which blows away VI specs. Keep in mind a VI tube is a great place to start, but will struggle in very dark areas vs VII/VIII tubes.

Actually the bayonet lowering/swing arms are more plentiful and very affordable vs the dovetail mounts. Probably the best mount for the money is going to be a used/new Norotos Rhino II off of Ebay @ 50-80.

The seller is a excellent person to deal with and will not steer you wrong and I wouldn't worry about some hidden problem that you will not notice until later. For me I prefer the B/D PVS7 due to the more common parts available vs the C bodies.

As for the 14 vs 7 argument I break it down to use.

PVS7 both eyes aided, the ability to drive "Not just walk in the forest", better depth perception vs a mono tube, easier to move/navigate with both eyes aided and passive aiming with a pistol mounted RDS.

PVS14 light weight, can be worn for very long durations without/little neck fatigue, packable, single AA battery, 50hrs run time, plentiful cheap parts passive aiming with both rifle and pistol mounted RDS.

Buying new with a 10 year tube warranty is better if this is your first or only NV that you have, but NODs have a nasty habit of multiplying when wifey isn't looking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
You know nothing so take our advice, buy a PVS-14 over a PVS-7.

And then never, ever... I mean ever, look through binos.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My bad, should have said $600:

TNVC:  NGI/PVS-14-XLS Gen. 3 Thin-Filmed White Phosphor MNVD (Elbit USA Tube) × 1 for $2,350.

Granted, it was a special sale, but never to be done again?  Who knows.

View Quote

What you can have today and what's 8 months back ordered are hard to compare. What's the value of time? Especially when you can sell the 7 at no loss down the line.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Honestly OP, the tube is really a toss-up. You are totally at the mercy of the seller, and the seller likely has no idea what tube is in there unless he installed it himself or opened up the NVG to find out (which poses a new set of questions for the seller). This is where buying from someone with incredible feedback really is ideal, and it certainly helps if the seller isn’t new to NV himself and he is honest in his listing about blemishes and information regarding the unit.

As far as the housing, you obviously want to make sure:
all the controls and adjustments work, the housing is milspec and not damaged, objective and ocular lenses are clear.

The PVS7 is more complicated, fragile, and heavy/bigger than the PVS14. For these reasons, the device is less favorable. There are also disadvantages to having both eyes seeing the same image (no depth perception / a false feeling that you have depth perception due to both eyes aided). Don’t plan on passive aiming either, although you still can depending on some setups.

Now my opinion as an owner of a PVS7 who also has used the 14 while in the military (who has a good amount of hours shooting, driving, patrolling with them): It is totally worth getting a PVS7 if it is a good unit depending on the conditions below.

Why it’s worth it depends completely on your budget, how often you plan on using, how you intend to use them. I can tell you that I have no substantial added difficulty seeing, shooting, or moving at night using a PVS7 than with a PVS14. I will add however that the situational awareness feels hindered by having both eyes covered. The effects seem worse when I am in a large open area like a field or lightly wooded area. You feel the need to scan the area more often to give your brain it’s desired amount of feedback. With the 14s, I felt like my unaided eye was getting some separate sensory stimulation that aided in depth perception and peripheral vision even though it is seeing a very dark area.

If the PVS7 is $1,750, it will easily cost an additional $1k or more to get a decent 14 with a warranty. Buying a shit 14 from AGM is not a good alternative to buying a decent PVS7. The  warranty is one of the best reasons to spend more money, as the bulk of your investment is covered by manufacturing defects which can take years in some cases to cause issues.

Now, if your budget allows $3k for the NVG alone, and you are willing to wait to receive a new unit and save up money again for all the other necessary items, it’s probably best to just buy a good 14.

Even with a Wilcox G11 & Tarsier, I’m still under $2,500 for everything that is helmet & NVG related. Once I am ready to upgrade, I know I will get back (or profit on) what I have invested in the PVS7.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/61DD91CB-5146-4ADC-8891-59E45CF9068A_jpe-1903042.JPG

View Quote

This is a great explanation.  I agree with every point.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What you can have today and what's 8 months back ordered are hard to compare. What's the value of time? Especially when you can sell the 7 at no loss down the line.
View Quote

those not currently in the market will not get this piece. nv is selling at a premium like everything else right now.

i am seeing used binos selling for MORE than new binos. there is a guy on ebay selling new PVS-7s for 4k each. lol.

prices tend to drift up around tax return time, but pack in stimulus payments and product shortages, and you have more people competing over a smaller pie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You know nothing so take our advice, buy a PVS-14 over a PVS-7.

And then never, ever... I mean ever, look through binos.
View Quote

If you buy a 7, you will then want a 14, which turns into dual 14s, which turns into WP binos, which turn into thermal on your gun and a bridged 14 and a breach, which turn into a bridged 14 and a nox 18 which turns into a pvs-30 clip on which turns into the realization that holy F you spent a lot of money......

So far I am not aware of a support group for the problem

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]
7s get crapped on a lot but the few times Ive used them I liked them

Meanwhile I always felt like it was 'work' to use my 14. I think this was mainly due to not both eyes getting light.

At the end of the day both will help you greatly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#22]
PVS-7s will serve you well. I like them mainly for guard duty and observation. They have been used to great effect by Soldiers in every conflict since their introduction in the late 80s. There are better options available now though.

If they are in your budget, go for it, any night vision is better than no night vision. Just keep in mind, if you want to do any shooting wit then, you'll need a good IR laser. I prefer the Rhino 2 for them over the Wilcox or Rhino 1.

Start saving up for your next purchase and either keep the 7s as a hand out set or sell them to offset the cost of your next set.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The 7 is perfectly useable and beats the hell out of not being able to see at night, but there's a reason why most PVS7 owners end up with 14s or bino within a year or three. They're heavy, fragile, and make an absolute mess out of passive aiming. If your budget is capped then by all means go for it, but more modern units are fundamentally superior and the difference is not marginal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
i have both a 7 and 14.i actually prefer the 7.it has a nice gen3 tube.i realize i probably like it more because it encompasses both eyes,where as dual 14,s would do the same.i got a great deal on the ee for 1300 bucks!BEST money spent!if you do dual 14,s and all the trinkets to hook it up,i would think you would spend 6500 or more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Timely and relevant:

Why you shouldn’t buy a PVS-7

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Having used 7s, 14s, 31As, and ANVIS, I absolutely loathe the 7. It's just wildly unpleasant, to the point that when I was stationary I would take it off the mount and turn the thing sideways, using a single eyepiece as a monocular. That was a fairly decent tube, as well -- I think it was an OMNI VII. Buying a 14 is absolutely the way to go -- the reason 7s are so cheap is because nobody wants them, because they are bad. In terms of manufacturing cost, they're harder to make and assemble than a 14 by a long shot, so they should not be cheaper than a 14. If you're trying to find a deal on a 14, keep your eyes on the EE and pick up a used one. It is well worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
....but NODs have a nasty habit of multiplying when wifey isn't looking.
View Quote

I know nothing of what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 7 is perfectly useable and beats the hell out of not being able to see at night, but there's a reason why most PVS7 owners end up with 14s or bino within a year or three. They're heavy, fragile, and make an absolute mess out of passive aiming. If your budget is capped then by all means go for it, but more modern units are fundamentally superior and the difference is not marginal.
View Quote
+1.

If you can get a buddy's old ratty blemmed 7 for very cheap and it's absolutely the only way you have to get into night vision, roll with it. Literally any other situation, wait and save.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Yep, was going to post this video. One of many of Sams videos I watched when researching for my own purposes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll go against the grain.

I prefer 7s.

For me, it's 7s or duals. The 14 is counterintuitive to me. I dislike it.

The 7 gives you a little bit of perceived magnification which is kinda weird, but you get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Litton 7A/Cs are a little bit of a wonky housing. Parts will be rare and possibly expensive (though also possibly dirt cheap because no one wants them... just depends on the seller) and IIRC a little bit more delicate than the B/Ds--the long and the short of it being that the B/D was more or less designed for Army ground use, versus the A/Cs, which were more common with the Navy, Special Operations, etc.

IMHO, if you can get a PVS-7 for under $1,500 (or less, depending on the tube) and you have no other night vision, want a spare set, want it now, etc., then it could be a decent buy. As others have pointed out, it will allow you to see and move at night, and that is advantage #1 of night vision. While some may take issue, $1,500 is kind of "throwaway money" in the NV world, and ~50% of the cost of a new PVS-14, so it could be worth that, even just to tide you over until you can get a 14 that you can keep as a loaner or spare.

Over $1,500, I would pass--as others have pointed out, you can save a little more for a new PVS-14, or used PVS-14s come up periodically across a lot of price ranges. A PVS-14 will be more versatile and more useful in more situations than a PVS-7, and the weight and complexity (to say nothing of resale) generally make them a poorer investment, and the tube can't even really be re-purposed for something else as most MX-10160 and 11769 tubes can be, the 7 really is kind of a one-trick pony.

Another disadvantage of the biocular design used by the PVS-7 is that it essentially "tricks" your brain into thinking that you have stereoscopic vision, which inexperienced users may find more comfortable, especially in the beginning, however it creates a distorted spatial awareness that means you cannot judge depth or distance as accurately because the normal binocular cues and disparity don't exist as the PVS-7 is simply using a beam splitter to duplicate a single image.

The only real application in which the PVS-7 has somewhat of an advantage is in astronomy, where you can stick the device into your telescope and use both eyes to observe, but that's a pretty niche application.

~Augee
View Quote

The astronomy guys love them for that reason. I've used them in that application a few times and a really good 10130 tube makes it an enjoyable time.

I like PVS-7s for observation duty like pulling security in a static position. When paired up wit a 3x magnifier, they cant be beat, IMO. My fist exposure into the night vision world was the old PVS-5s and I had a set up until 2017. I did alot of Army training and several missions using PVS-7s. Lots of door kickers used them with great success. But PVS-7s are outdated and just seem to refuse to die off. I run RNVGs now, but if all I had were 7s, I would be okay with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For static observation, perimeter security, fixed defensive position, etc., thermal is probably a better choice than image intensification, enough so that it's worth having a PVS-14 (which can also use the 3x magnifier) just so you can pack a bigger/better thermal.

I spent a lot of time doing a lot of "Army shit" with PVS-7s.

I would argue that night fighting tactics were a good bit different when "door kickers" were using PVS-7s. Some special operations units went almost directly from dual-tube PVS-5s to dual tube AVS-6(v)1s.

Those were the days of overhead illumination flares, M845s, SIMRADs, and the like.  

For sure, GPF was using 7s well into GWOT and they are still in circulation today, but the days in which they were "top of the line" units for ground combat forces was fairly limited, and tactics were much different.

While the AN/PAQ-4 was in limited use since at least 1980, they were fairly rare until the advent of the PAQ-4C, and by the time conventional infantry units started receiving them in numbers, the transition to PVS-14s wasn't far behind.

I've rolled out of Bradley and Stryker ramps with 7s, I've hitched M16A2 stocks up on my forearms to train MOUT and CQB and know my iron sight "point shooting" techniques and remember when you yanked the doors off the 1025s for recce and if they came with seat belts, I didn't know it. And it's not because I'm very old or even very experienced compared to many, but gear and tactics can take a while to circulate. I remember one of my first units we had an older E7 who had gotten his CIB with 10th Mountain in Somalia in '93, and he was venerated as having "been there, done that." Not that anyone lost any respect for him, but having a CIB soon started being a lot less special.  

The PVS-7's heyday was a slump of late-Cold War theory, budget cuts, and little "engagements" here and there, and a lot of old theory based stuff went right out the fucking window when proofed in real combat. And while I'm not the guy who will sit here and tell you "you'll get killt in da skreetz" if you're using a PVS-7, this is the space that the PVS-7 occupies in my mind.

Have guys used them to good effect in the past when that's what they had? Sure. Those same guys lined the floors of their 998s with PASGT vests to prevent getting their nuts blown off. Just because it's been done and kinda worked doesn't make it a validated combat TTP or a combat effective piece of kit.

Actually, I see a lot of guys, mostly older, who either got out early or were never in, and not just in the NV world, cling to pre- and early-GWOT theory based ideas and continue to repeat, recommend, or insist on them, the old "well I heard from an old SF guy..." Not that GWOT is the final word on all things ground combat, however it's proven a fairly fertile testing ground for a lot of old theory based practices, and has slaughtered a good many sacred cows.

::shrug::

Ah, memories.

~Augee
View Quote

Ahh great memories. I served during the early 90s and knew several people involved in Somolia in 1993. I was even on the almost combat jump into Haiti in 1994. Fuck Jimmy Carter.

I agree with you on thermals being more useful for static observation. I haven't had much time behind thermals though.

The reason i like the PVS-7s with a 3x magnifier in that role is it causes less eye strain for me. PVS-7s had their time, they are still useful, but I won't go out of my way to get another set. It's time to move on from them even though I still have a soft spot for them.

GWOT did a good job of getting the Cold War mentality stomped into the dirt. I used PVS-7s alot with the 82nd when I stationed at Ft Bragg, and for a short time in GWOT, then went to PVS-14s. I was not impressed with them honestly. I preferred having both eyes aided.

I have a couple of PVS-14s on the shelf as loaners and to use to mount behind scopes if I need to. I keep a PVS-14 in my get home bag should I have to ditch the vehicle and walk home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#35]
For balance, magnified observation, observation and movement the bi-ocular trumps the PVS14 - lots of field data to support this.  Specifically at distance there is little to no stereo vision.

However, from a practicality POV its BINOs or a PVS14 (and in both cases plus a thermal spotter).  

The price versus value proposition is always difficult to answer as only you know your priorities.  If money was an issue I would prioritise the quality of the tube over the type of housing (assuming broadly similar quality housing).  This will be traded against your use case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For balance, magnified observation, observation and movement the bi-ocular trumps the PVS14 - lots of field data to support this.  Specifically at distance there is little to no stereo vision.

However, from a practicality POV its BINOs or a PVS14 (and in both cases plus a thermal spotter).  

The price versus value proposition is always difficult to answer as only you know your priorities.  If money was an issue I would prioritise the quality of the tube over the type of housing (assuming broadly similar quality housing).  This will be traded against your use case.
View Quote

Money is always a factor when considering a big purchase unless you have DoD dollars making the purchase. A PVS-7 with a good quality tube Omni-V or better is a good thing to have. If you can only afford a PVS-7 now, get it. The future is not guaranteed. The way things are going now, I wouldn't put off the purchase for another year because I needed to save a few more dollars to afford another NVG model. Your dollars are worth more to you than a bunch of guys on the internet. As I said before, any night vision is better than no night vision. A PVS-7 will put you ahead of 99% of the population.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

FPNI nails it.

View Quote
link to brand new not crap pvs-14 for 2200.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#38]
5 Reasons you should buy a PVS7

1) Still in use in 2021 by our military/police here and over seas.
2) Late gen3 Omni VII tubes are very close in performance of Omni VIII tubes.
3) You can drive (not just for walking in the forest) with a PVS7 something that is very difficult to do with a PVS14 which will make you dizzy and throw up.
4) It's very easy to read lighting conditions just as with binos BNVD/RNVG/PVS31/DTNVG/DTNVG/etc by simply moving your goggle forward/looking under them.
5) Price, if you can find a late gen PVS7 @ 1200-1300 you can sell it later, recover 100% of your money, something that is extremely difficult with any other system unless you got it for a good deal, sell it to an IG boi that doesn't know any better and will only take pics of his setup to call PVS7 owners "The Poors".
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#39]
I like the 7, hated the 14. I currently have two pvs7 and a set of duals. If the price is right, I say go for it with the understanding it's a gateway drug
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

3) You can drive (not just for walking in the forest) with a PVS7 something that is very difficult to do with a PVS14 which will make you dizzy and throw up.
4) It's very easy to read lighting conditions just as with binos BNVD/RNVG/PVS31/DTNVG/DTNVG/etc by simply moving your goggle forward/looking under them.
5) Price, if you can find a late gen PVS7 @ 1200-1300 you can sell it later, recover 100% of your money, something that is extremely difficult with any other system unless you got it for a good deal, sell it to an IG boi that doesn't know any better and will only take pics of his setup to call PVS7 owners "The Poors".
View Quote

1) Not by choice, because they suck. The meme image making fun of PVS-7 users falling down stairs is pretty on-point in my experience with them, because the biocular system tricks you into thinking you have depth perception.

2) Yeah, but if it's in a garbage housing that actively hinders your understanding of the world around you, it's not worth it.

3) You could not pay me enough money to get into a car driven by someone using 7s. At least with a 14, your brain isn't being tricked by having the same image piped to both eyes.

4) Sure, whatever.

5) See 4.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
With all the purse-swinging I'm surprised no one mentioned the tiny ocular lens on the -7.

If a -14 feels like looking thru a cardboard tube than a -7 is like looking thru a drinking straw.

Disclaimer: seven's are good ole night vision and I don't care what bad things yall say about them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1) Not by choice, because they suck. The meme image making fun of PVS-7 users falling down stairs is pretty on-point in my experience with them, because the biocular system tricks you into thinking you have depth perception.

2) Yeah, but if it's in a garbage housing that actively hinders your understanding of the world around you, it's not worth it.

3) You could not pay me enough money to get into a car driven by someone using 7s. At least with a 14, your brain isn't being tricked by having the same image piped to both eyes.

4) Sure, whatever.

5) See 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4) Sure, whatever.

5) See 4.

Pro tip for this forum:
The more dramatic the post, the less valid it usually is.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@Steviesegal

Unfortunately the only way to really know what'll work for you is to get your feet wet. That's how guys find out if they like or hate the -7, prefer a single -14 or binos, white or green, etc. What works for some doesn't work for others and there's only one way to find that out.

Another option is find people who will let you demo their gear. If you can't do that, we have a demo program called "Try Before You Buy" where for $175 you get an entire night to try out PVS-14s, binos, different helmets & mounts (but no PVS-7's ). Info is on our site in the training section. Dates are limited so if you see one available you can make it to, sign up! You can also rent gear for Night Fighter 101 (pre-req's and info in same section).

One thing to consider - whether you buy a PVS-14 or PVS-7, new or used, if the bug bites you like it did most of us, you'll end up buying more NV. However, in the event that it doesn't bite you but you want to hang on to the device for SHTF, etc. then you want to make sure what you buy is decent so it's worth keeping.
View Quote

Exactly, I "grew up" with the PVS-7s and PVS-5s. When I got hands on with a PVS-14, I was underwhelmed. Several years later, I again tried to use a PVS-14, and immediately started on putting together another PVS-14 to bridge since I had two matching tubes. I liked the concept of two units to split and that's why I decided on that route. I don't think bridged 14s were all that heavy. I upgraded to RNVGs shortly after when a too good a deal to pass up came along.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Money is always a factor when considering a big purchase unless you have DoD dollars making the purchase. A PVS-7 with a good quality tube Omni-V or better is a good thing to have. If you can only afford a PVS-7 now, get it. The future is not guaranteed. The way things are going now, I wouldn't put off the purchase for another year because I needed to save a few more dollars to afford another NVG model. Your dollars are worth more to you than a bunch of guys on the internet. As I said before, any night vision is better than no night vision. A PVS-7 will put you ahead of 99% of the population.
View Quote

Agreed - I also have a PVS7 amongst others.  Still works well and its an excellent tool for observation and is still good for ground movement and driving.  Ultimately, binos are the way to go but as a stop gap on that journey there is nothing wrong with a PVS7 e.g. 1500 bucks and a decent tube plus cash up the sleeve for a decent helmet and mount.........

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you have the rest of the study that chart is from? I'd be interested to read it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Link

ETA: because not everyone is going to read the whole damn thing. Note that the binocular & monocular used was a -5 (page 17) so take that FWIW as it relates to 2021 tech
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have the rest of the study that chart is from? I'd be interested to read it.

Link

ETA: because not everyone is going to read the whole damn thing. Note that the binocular & monocular used was a -5 (page 17) so take that FWIW as it relates to 2021 tech

Holy hell, I read that years ago. Talk about a blast from the past. For up close and personal work, I preferred the PVS-5 for reasons stated in that report. PVS-7s were good for observation, and (OMG!! I could have died) I got pretty good driving with them too.

I never really had too much problems with depth perception while using -7s like other people seem to have. I just judged the vertical height of objects that were a known. Kinda hard to explain but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Skip NV and go thermal.  You know you want to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top