User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'M in could I use a C-Mag there??? Let me know when. How many yards is the range set up for. and how many positions are there for shooting. Do they get crowded?

Any magazine is alright as long as it's not stamped "LE only."

There are ten slots in the range and each goes to 100 yeards.

We're not very busy this time of the year and we shouldn't have any problem.  We can always have people double up if we have to.

ONLY 10 slots?  Wow, if that were the case in the Calverton, LI shoot, we'd have had a lot of pissed off shooters!  

What is the head count as of now?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Balzac, you going? My GF and I are going up (even with only 1 post-ban lower to share). I think EDPMedic is gonna go. We'll have the flag and the coolers again, and this time, some halfway decent nametags....
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm definately going to try to make it, but I'd rather conserve cash and ammo for the next LI shoot.  In between these shoots, I'll be in Vegas, which is why I just stocked up on my supplies for the 8/18 LI shindig.  If I suck up and don't eat lunch for the next couple weeks, maybe I'll manage both....I'm working on it is the answer!

With that Swiss ammo just being released by Ammoman, I'm finding a reason to buy and go to both shoots.  DAMN this budget!  AG's office pays me crap!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
So far I am in..I just need to see what hours my wife is working..I might have to take both the kids. I am trying to see if ChrisLe and AgentOrange can go..I know Wave said it's a no go for him...Will know more by Friday.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys, the CT assault weapon law was changed last year, so it more resembles the federal law pertaining to the characteristics of the firearm not just the name like it used to be.  I would give the state police a call to clear it up before driving into CT.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Kow,
The change only applied to "AK type" rifles, not AR-15 type rifles (at least not yet)!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Kow,
The change only applied to "AK type" rifles, not AR-15 type rifles (at least not yet)!

The change (actually a 'clarification') applies to any gun that the original law refers to as a "type"--F.E. AK type, Mac-11 type, and Thompson type.

I would call the CT state police BEFORE bringing a Colt into Connecticut.  If you're going to make a mistake, do so on the side of caution.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like the shoot is on for this Sunday.  The range opens at 10:00, so anyone can show up after that.  "Our" time will start at 2:00 after the range closes to the public, so try to show up before that (I don't know if I'll keep the gate open after that.  I'll play it by ear).

Eighteen people have sent me e-mails so far, but don't worry if you haven't.  Again, there are ten slots so people may have to double up.  

There SHOULD be enough target frames but if you have any homemade frames, bring 'em along to.  Bring targets and a staple gun.

IMPORTANT: bring ear AND EYE protection.  If you don't have both, then you cannot shoot (range rules).  Foam ear plugs and a pair of cheap sunglasses will do, as long as your eyes and ears are protected.

There are no facilities to speak of so try to empty your bladder and your colon before you arrive.  You can go in the nearby woods if you want but watch out for poison ivy and rattlesnakes (there are a few timber rattlers nearby but they never bother us).

THE SHOOT IS "WEATHER PERMITTING."  If it's raining, then it's called off.  If it's only damp and overcast, then it'll be on.

So you there!!

John Fulcher  

There is a convenience store nearby for snacks
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, Iz done CMP matches, club pistol matches, and a bunch of backyard stuff.

But what ina hell are we gonna be doin'?

Competition? Plinking? "Shooting the breeze?"
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going by myself it looks like..I need some good directions from LI and where the place is and name. I saw the directions printed. Can someone tell me best route from Lonf Island. Also E-Mail sent.  Save me a spot for my guns and F-250 extended cab and bed please. I hate having to park the thing
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody got a clue as to exactly what kind of shootin' we intend to do?

Somebody mentioned pistols. Are we shooting them too?

Hello? Is anybody out there?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I called up the Glastonbury Police and the CT police dept. I was told no matter what make my rifle is if it considered a ASSAULT RIFLE not allowed to bring in. I don't understand what you guys are shooting over there. I guess it only applies to out of state transport. I figure only guy with NY plates they will be waiting now if I come.

Edit..I just called another CT State Police Dept facility. Was told there is no difference between a Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite. That there list was up-graded to ANY semi-auto fire weapon whick includes AK,H&K,Uzzy or any 50cal. Was told if it was in before I think 1997 for some and just about 2-3 months ago for others it is a NO NO to even own them out there.

For some reason that does not make sense if you guys are still buying them. Unless you load one round at a time. Now I am interested and will find out more on Monday. Now I want to come down and shoot out there for the Hell of it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
They are full of crap.

www.ctsportsmen.com/issues/last_gun_bill_still_active.htm

Member Question: I heard that a bill passed or is sitting on the governors desk as we speak. That it slipped by NRA and the ctsportsmen org. That all the assault rifle clones have to be registered with the state police by this October. That gun stores have stopped selling them? Is this true?

Answer: The bill has been signed and is law. Nothing slipped by NRA or the Coalition - we proposed the solution. So-called Assault Weapons that have "type" following the designation under the 1993 law (MAC, AK-47, Thompson) have to be registered by October 2003 - Does not affect any other firearms. Gun stores have generally stopped selling "types" as of May 8.

All this came about because of a court case in Bantam where the State Police on an "Assault Weapon" confiscation issue defined "type" as looking like, functioning like, and having interchangeable parts. The court agreed. Our choices were 1) do nothing and let gunowners be subject to arrest/prosecution/prison, loss of pistol permit if arrested/convicted, and confiscation of their firearms; or 2) take some corrective action: a) through legislation, with no satisfactory solution to this problem except our proposed amendment eliminating "type" from the statute which was rejected by both the anti-gunners and State Police; b) defend someone in court with a possibility of either a win or loss; or c) provide another solution protecting gunowners.  

Our solution: Although we do not support Registration in any form, the bill provides that gunowners who bought these "type" guns for the last 9 years are now allowed to keep them. If they register they cannot be prosecuted and will keep their guns; if they don't register, they cannot be prosecuted but will lose their guns.

Both NRA and CCS think this is a good interim solution which protects gunowners. The issue will probably be addressed in court at some future date. Nothing has been done by CSP yet, so advise your friends to change or do nothing new. When the procedure is implemented, we'll have it on our website and will send it to our e-mail list. SKS or ANY other type "clone" expansion will not be tolerated by us and is unlikely to be addressed by the CSP. This bill addresses only 3 "type" firearms.

Bold sections indicate legislation by cop

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The person you talked to on the phone probably isn't very well informed. You have to be careful how you ask the question. Their generic answer is always "Assault Weapons are banned. Yup, all of 'em."

The first CT AW ban listed certain rifles by name. Colt AR15 being one of them. BM, Oly, DPMS, etc. is not on the list. If you didn't register your AW with the State Police years ago, then you aren't supposed to have it.

The latest AW ban in CT, mirrors the federal ban word for word, the difference being that it doesn't expire. It allows for preban BMs, etc. Post bans are fine in CT. The walls of the gun stores are full of them.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=CT

I am bringing rifles, shotgun, and pistol. Easiest way from LI is 95N to 91N to RT3 to RT2.

See everybody there today.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn!!!!!! I was waiting for this shoot.  Can't go today, shit.  When is the next LI shoot?

This Colt thing doesn't make sense.  As far as I know you can own any pre-ban you can't just buy them any longer in CT.  The local shop I know of has three of them, but can't sell them.
He also has an MP5.  You can also have fully automatic weapons in CT, you will need to appl y for a special permit.

Well, maybe I'll see aeveryone next time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#16]
It is pouring up here in the Northwest corner.
Anyone know what it is like down in the big city?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
SGTJAYP,
Roger that, back in March when I was interested in buying via net, SAR-1 or Preban Bushmaster/Olyarms, out of state sellers directed me to check with CSP.   The "big hat's" opinion at that time was SAR-1 was "illegal" (prevented me from buying one)although it was still pending legislation. Found out that if I had purchased one prior to May 8, 2002, it would have been accepted.  That "all" AW were illegal citing the CT AW definition.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok the problem is has a NYS resident where it is legal to own these..I am not allowed into CT to lets say participate in a CMP match? Or lets say just get invited to have a good time shooting at a range. I am not transporting to sell I just want to blow off 1000 rnds on a legal rifle range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#19]
So how was the shoot?  Sorry I couldn't make it, but the way things were looking and the attitude of the cops, I'm not going to even chance heading up for a day of shooting and worrying the whole time about getting arrested for some inane fucking Conn laws.  Sorry I don't have more trust in what you guys say, but I've learned that no matter how much we know, the cops know less and it will cost $$$ to defend your position.

Any pics?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So how was the shoot?  Sorry I couldn't make it, but the way things were looking and the attitude of the cops, I'm not going to even chance heading up for a day of shooting and worrying the whole time about getting arrested for some inane fucking Conn laws.  Sorry I don't have more trust in what you guys say, but I've learned that no matter how much we know, the cops know less and it will cost $$$ to defend your position.

Any pics?

I don't blame you!

Anyway, we all had a good time (despite the occasional light shower).  I had hoped more people would show up, but I'm sure more would've had it been sunnier.

Special thanks to Ranger Arms for their demonstration of (and hands on/live fire instruction on) specialty optics and accessories.

I definitely hope to do this again!

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Hope everybody had a good time at the shoot! I got a friggin service call and tryed to get other people in the Co. to take it. Not! Never fails, when I have something planned..."service call" time! Was there a good turn out? Hope it went well & we have another one soon!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hope it went well & we have another one soon!

...but not in Connecticut!

I still want to see pics!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe we need a "New England AR-15 Shoot!" Pick a good gun friendly state (?) ......lotsa people & guns......ammo....make it a weekend?
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone thought to make a CT AR-15 Shooters Site (CT-AR15.com) or a New England AR-15 Shooters Site (NE-AR15.com)?  You can do it for free on MSN.com.  Its a great way to organize shoots, host photos (especially of the shoots), post notices of local gunshows, and perhaps post info on places to shoot or buy AR stuff around New England.  Say a setup similar to what's been done in Maryland (www.MD-AR15.com) or Colorodo (www.CO-AR15.com).

Give it a thought - Its free (unless you want to register the domain name) and it doesn't really take up much time.  You don't even have to know HTML (the online tools are more like Word or Notepad).

Shoot Straight,
Forest
A born and bred CT Yankee stuck south of the Mason-Dixon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top