BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm just adding some points for context based on some incorrect assumptions that I've read in this thread. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, and I probably won't reply in this thread again unless there is more real information or clarification I can add.

~Augee
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm for reals not interested in getting into an argument about whether or not anyone should buy Chinese goods, so I'm not going to engage any comments or responses that try to draw me into it.

Suffice to say, while I may have my own personal feelings and beliefs, intellectually I understand both sides.

I do want to throw out some facts for context, however.

- Certain systems that are borne out of directed government requirements are partially "owned" by the government, in and that they require DoD approval to be sold commercially. If it has a funky acronym as a program of record name, chances are it's one of them. The GPNVG required direct government approval to be openly and freely sold commercially. Agree, disagree, like it, don't like it, this is the way it is, and it can be an involved process. Do we like having to jump through all these hoops to bring products to market? Fuck no. But if that's what needs to be done, that's what we've done and will continue to do to get the best products and capabilities to market.

- The companies I've mentioned in the past that have abandoned projects because of possible Chinese follow-on products are not the same major manufacturers most of you are thinking of--I'm not saying that those companies haven't, but if they have, I have not been privy to those conversations. I'm talking about companies who are very much in favor of selling product commercially to anyone that has the money, not products intended for military contracts. Logically, that doesn't make sense--if you're building for a military contract, why would you care if the Chinese knock it off? DoD or USGOV is not going to buy a Chinese product, so you'll make your money back regardless.

- I have been involved in the export and fielding of night vision equipment from both the government side and the industry side, though it is not a major part of TNVC's business as it is with many other companies. Capabilities are not "willy nilly" given, even to close allies, much less the Afghans. I was involved in these fieldings in the very early days.

I have my feelings about all that too, however I can assure you that the thousands of AN/PVS-7B/Ds and beat up AN/PEQ-2As we gave to the ANDSF are not how China is making a knock-off ENVG. See above about DoD approval for certain systems--China getting their hands on ENVGs is primarily a result of either: willful ITAR violations of gray market products and/or obtaining equipment from dead/injured U.S. and allied service members. We know this to be the case because these things have been the subject of investigations and in some cases prosecutions.

- Finally, no one is "worried" about the Chinese or anyone else having the technology to merge thermal with image intensifiers. The reason that most fusion systems are so tightly controlled is because of the C4ISR and augmented reality and networking features that are integrated into them. Most of these features are opaque to commercial end users because they don't have access to the networking infrastructure that DoD has. Hell, in some cases they're even opaque to Joe on the ground, because the '6 section can't unfuck the COMSEC and properly configure the networks and their commanders don't give a shit enough to figure out how to use it all. The Chinese government, on the other hand, does have the capacity to examine and evaluate this technology and work to counter or defeat it.

Again, I'm not trying to get into an argument or debate about this stuff.

I'm just adding some points for context based on some incorrect assumptions that I've read in this thread. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, and I probably won't reply in this thread again unless there is more real information or clarification I can add.

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks Augee for the clairfication.

I do want to ask you a question though and yes its a smart ass comment. Were you asleep during the entire month of August regarding the highlighted above?

It is also well known that our government has been giving tech out, even to China, for the better part of 40+ years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the stuff the Afghans had was monkey model stuff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you read the next sentence after what you highlighted?

Maybe it's a difference between our definitions of "willy nilly." Yes, I know that we share capabilities with many folks in many capacities at many levels. My point, however, was that that is not done haphazardly or without a thorough consideration of the likely proliferation of the technology, the likelihood of it getting into (or even being given directly to) our adversaries.

What I meant by "not willy nilly," is that it's not an Oprah-style "you get NVGs, you get NVGs!" kind of deal.

In the case of the Afghans specifically, what we provided as aid to the ANDSF we knew, even then, would get into adversaries' hands. You can't just give something to the ANA, even "ANA SOF," and not assume that it's only a matter of time before you can buy it in the bazaar. However, the capabilities were given understanding that and at a level commensurate to the risk that we were willing to assume to fulfill the operational needs for which we began fielding them in the first place.

~Augee
View Quote

I did read it.
And "early days" is not August 2021 where our potato in chief decided to cluster fuck the withdraw leaving billions of taxpayer dollars worth of tech and equipment in the hands of our enemies.

See where I am going with this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am well aware of the PSQ-20 and an FYI they were made available for public sale toward the end of their run for around $16k.
You are calling it the Chinese PSQ-20/ENVG which sounds similar to what this PSQ-40 project is looking to accomplish. The ENVG-B, ENVG III/PSQ-39 or 40 are just part of the evolution of the original PSQ-20 which upgrades the thermal sensor and NV tube with some other features and upgrades incorporated. The ENVG-B/III/PSQ-39/40 is not available to the public so some people are pursuing what was said to be an unnamed foreign company to make a PSQ-40 that can be imported and sold to civilians, again with what was said to be a projected price point of $14k.  

So my point is if we assume that this Chinese venture is not this other PSQ-40 project that was floated on another board the concern is it could end this others companies venture because this Chinese project would undercut it price wise. The ability of China and their willingness to bring high tech products to market and do it faster via innovation one one hand is good but not good as they are commies. If their ability and willingness to get products to market comes from innovation combined with theft that hurts the overall market.

To date I am not aware of any additional info that has been dropped about this PSQ-40 venture. Perhaps more will come out during SHOT Show.

Just a picture of the various ENVG over the years The ENVGIII/PSQ39/40 is on the helmet.
https://i.postimg.cc/C15sYbC2/PSQ20-evolution.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/C15sYbC2/PSQ20-evolution.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a thermal only mode, though it may only work in the sensor overlay area (you'd still see NV around the edges of the tube, but the center would be thermal only).

This unit is heavily derivative of the PSQ-20, though not exactly a clone. Not quite sure what you mean that they beat others to market via copying though. PSQ-20 has been around for over 10 years, ITT just won't sell them to civilians. If American companies have waited a decade to sell fused thermal to civilians, and now want to complain that China is killing their projects...well I'm not sure how sympathetic I am to that. There have never been any laws prohibiting civilians from owning fused thermal. It's just company policy that has put their market share at 0%.

Interested in the PSQ-40 project, I'm unfamiliar. Details?

I am well aware of the PSQ-20 and an FYI they were made available for public sale toward the end of their run for around $16k.
You are calling it the Chinese PSQ-20/ENVG which sounds similar to what this PSQ-40 project is looking to accomplish. The ENVG-B, ENVG III/PSQ-39 or 40 are just part of the evolution of the original PSQ-20 which upgrades the thermal sensor and NV tube with some other features and upgrades incorporated. The ENVG-B/III/PSQ-39/40 is not available to the public so some people are pursuing what was said to be an unnamed foreign company to make a PSQ-40 that can be imported and sold to civilians, again with what was said to be a projected price point of $14k.  

So my point is if we assume that this Chinese venture is not this other PSQ-40 project that was floated on another board the concern is it could end this others companies venture because this Chinese project would undercut it price wise. The ability of China and their willingness to bring high tech products to market and do it faster via innovation one one hand is good but not good as they are commies. If their ability and willingness to get products to market comes from innovation combined with theft that hurts the overall market.

To date I am not aware of any additional info that has been dropped about this PSQ-40 venture. Perhaps more will come out during SHOT Show.

Just a picture of the various ENVG over the years The ENVGIII/PSQ39/40 is on the helmet.
https://i.postimg.cc/C15sYbC2/PSQ20-evolution.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/C15sYbC2/PSQ20-evolution.jpg

Appreciate the info. Did not know the ENVG-III was designated the PSQ-40, thought it was a different product. I had only ever seen grey market dealer demo units come up for sale for the PSQ-20, surprised that they were sold publicly otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

- Finally, no one is "worried" about the Chinese or anyone else having the technology to merge thermal with image intensifiers. The reason that most fusion systems are so tightly controlled is because of the C4ISR and augmented reality and networking features that are integrated into them. Most of these features are opaque to commercial end users because they don't have access to the networking infrastructure that DoD has. Hell, in some cases they're even opaque to Joe on the ground, because the '6 section can't unfuck the COMSEC and properly configure the networks and their commanders don't give a shit enough to figure out how to use it all. The Chinese government, on the other hand, does have the capacity to examine and evaluate this technology and work to counter or defeat it.

~Augee
View Quote

Are the ECOTI systems you sell equipped with HUD capabilities for the civilian end user?

Civilians have access to the networking backbone for this. You can already buy encrypted portable IP radios with self-healing mesh and voice comm capability. Or roll your own, it's just a fancy LAN, not exactly classified. You don't even need an independent LAN, you can set up an ATAK server over internet and connect through the cell network. As a solo user, you can utilize waypoints, navigation, AIS and ADS-B receivers, drone feed and control, etc on a phone with ATAK. Add that to your network and you can share all that capability.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Will TNVC carry these units?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

When Biden appeals the NFA!
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When Biden appeals the NFA!
View Quote

I think (hope) you meant, "When Bidden repeals the NFA.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're a funny guy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link to buy these?
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Link to buy these?
View Quote

you have to forfeit your us citizenship and move to china
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The way the world is going, I don't know who the fuck we will be fighting next week.

Our government is good at telling me who I should and shouldn't hate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we going to go to war against Georgia again? And Austria?

The way the world is going, I don't know who the fuck we will be fighting next week.

Our government is good at telling me who I should and shouldn't hate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm for reals not interested in getting into an argument about whether or not anyone should buy Chinese goods, so I'm not going to engage any comments or responses that try to draw me into it.

Suffice to say, while I may have my own personal feelings and beliefs, intellectually I understand both sides.

I do want to throw out some facts for context, however.

- Certain systems that are borne out of directed government requirements are partially "owned" by the government, in and that they require DoD approval to be sold commercially. If it has a funky acronym as a program of record name, chances are it's one of them. The GPNVG required direct government approval to be openly and freely sold commercially. Agree, disagree, like it, don't like it, this is the way it is, and it can be an involved process. Do we like having to jump through all these hoops to bring products to market? Fuck no. But if that's what needs to be done, that's what we've done and will continue to do to get the best products and capabilities to market.

- The companies I've mentioned in the past that have abandoned projects because of possible Chinese follow-on products are not the same major manufacturers most of you are thinking of--I'm not saying that those companies haven't, but if they have, I have not been privy to those conversations. I'm talking about companies who are very much in favor of selling product commercially to anyone that has the money, not products intended for military contracts. Logically, that doesn't make sense--if you're building for a military contract, why would you care if the Chinese knock it off? DoD or USGOV is not going to buy a Chinese product, so you'll make your money back regardless.

- I have been involved in the export and fielding of night vision equipment from both the government side and the industry side, though it is not a major part of TNVC's business as it is with many other companies. Capabilities are not "willy nilly" given, even to close allies, much less the Afghans. I was involved in these fieldings in the very early days.

I have my feelings about all that too, however I can assure you that the thousands of AN/PVS-7B/Ds and beat up AN/PEQ-2As we gave to the ANDSF are not how China is making a knock-off ENVG. See above about DoD approval for certain systems--China getting their hands on ENVGs is primarily a result of either: willful ITAR violations of gray market products and/or obtaining equipment from dead/injured U.S. and allied service members. We know this to be the case because these things have been the subject of investigations and in some cases prosecutions.

Again, I'm not trying to get into an argument or debate about this stuff.

~Augee
View Quote

YES I agree you nailed it, thank you.

A more clear context to my MIC-Bitch statement ; Anything under joint development gets a pass as the proprietary and or intellectual property is jointly owned by both the Govt. and the private developer. I'm was speaking in terms on  available items and or tech already in the market place for some time .  To break it down a few primary manufactures  more secondary manufactures and many vendors fall prey to this philosophy all holding out for the big score to fulfill some ethereal contract or to look more exclusive. "Fake it until you make it."  

YES Again : In some case the peripheral interface aspects of some devices are not easily separated from their primary function disallowing it into the commercial market place for reasons stated. Due to an economies of scale  removing said peripherals may not be cost effective.  Integrated circuits and boards are done at a fixed cost and it just isn't practical for parallel development of boards solely for commercial consumption sans the voo doo functions .   i.e two assembly lines #1. with  and #2. without. = >$    You guys get the idea.  

Well put.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/07/friday-night-lights-psq-20-jerryf/

Scroll down till he starts talking about the Jerry F at $7k I’m not interested
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#20]
5:5
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Tech companies aren't worried about civilian sales period.  Again it's the" MIC bitch"  (Military Industrial Complex) Bitch syndrome.  After the cats out the bag they just as soon lay down and die vs trying to compete.  They can charge Uncle Sam 30% more than a civilian and get away with it due to the system.  Once they sell a unit at a price that is truly reflective of the value for less than the bid amount, game over let the federal audit begin.  It's all a license to steel like the $800 screwdriver listed as "multi function variable calibration tool".

YES.....Gun companies are just as Bad: Colt, HK and S&W have all gone there at times.  Anything to win favor.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top