Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I knew this was going to be a trainwreck but didn't think it would happen this quickly.
Interested in an SR5 next to an M42k that should tell us everything we need to know
View Quote
I have both and I believe the M42K is "quieter" at my ear than the SR5 but the SR5 "sounds" better ..... does that make any sense?

Also I went with a buddy just a few weeks ago shooting and he was standing off to my side by like 10 / 15 feet or so and he said the SR5 was quieter ..... so who knows.  I like them both.

ETA - these cans only get shot on my 10.5" and 11.5" ARs .... okay back to the dick measuring contest!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yet, in their PAPER catalog they gave out a SHOT2018, page 30 they list the NUMBERS of the SR-5 as 32dB, 133 dB.

Yeah, "numbers on paper don't mean shit", unless they are posting them. Apparently they were referring to your NUMBERS, when they said "don't mean shit", not theirs. Is that bitch slap they put on your face still red?

again, since you keep ducking the question:

Why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says"?
View Quote
You aren't going to win against someone who refuses to accept evidence and insight from the industry. I don't think he will ever understand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That slide was from tests that I did with the California state crime lab around 9 years ago. I use a Larson Davis 800B with their 1/4" mic (#2530, which is a clone of the B&K 4136). LD claims that the rise time of the LxT1-QPR is 30 microseconds or better, and one of the LD engineers told me that the best a digital peak detector will do is 28 µ-sec. If you will notice on my slide, A-weighting was specified. Weighting networks (A or C) degrade the meter to more closely match the response of the human ear. While I don't know exactly how bad the degradation is, I would guess it is to somewhere close to 25-30 µ-sec. In the video of testing the AAC can, they were using C-weighting, which is fairly similar to A-weighting in performance.

The comparisons I have done on firearm peaks show the LxT1 to read generally less than 2 dB lower than my 800B (which has a measured rise time of 13 µ-sec). However, the real test is unweighted. When unweighted (LD calls it Z-weighting), the LxT1 reads 6-7 dB below the 800B. Regardless, even the 800B (or 2209) misses the peak maximum even unweighted. The B&K Pulse misses less.

2 years ago, a B&K rep passed through Boise to demo to us a Pulse system. We compared it to the 800B, and our finding were that the 800B read only 1-2 dB low when weighted, but unweighted it was closer to 4 dB low. The Pulse theoretically has a rise time in the vicinity of 2 µ-sec, but the 1/4" pressure mic they had possessed a rise time of around 7 µ-sec according to the calibration curves with it. This means simply that the best system rise time could not be any better than the weakest link. My experience has been that some of the 1/4" pressure mics have worse response curves than others. For the Pulse system, one should use a 1/8" pressure mic, and the B&K rep did not show his product in the best possible light.

My experience using the 800B has been that the non-suppressed M4 (14.5" bbl) has a C-weighted SPL of 163-164 dB at the reference location, and a 10" bbl AR runs 167-168 at that location. The 20" barreled M16 runs 162.

Should we be doing SPL measurements unweighted? Of course -- it is the better indication of hearing damage risk. However, use of A- or C-weighting dates back to the mid-to-late 1970s when the 2209 first came out and the early pioneers (Finn, Knight, Walsh) decided the data looked better weighted. This resulted in the new MIL-STD-1472 either specifying or permitting the use of weighting and our industry adopted weighting.

Is the reference location the best place to measure? It is the best estimate of what the target will perceive. The shooter's ear is a better estimate for hearing damage risk, but we negate that benefit by using weighting. And it wasn't until relatively recently that the shooter's ear locations became defined as a specific location in space with reference to the back of the receiver.

Back to the testing video. There are some unanswered questions, and I think the measurements recorded are low. First would be whether the meter had been calibrated with a certified field calibrator (such as the LD CA250, or CA200 as a less accurate second choice). Second was the measurement location (reference, 2 meter spacing instead of 1, ear?). Before I left Gemtech, sound measurements were made on a permanent field jig that positioned the weapon properly and held the microphones on separate permanent locations referencing the muzzle. We also used the 800B. Since I left, I still measure that way and Gemtech is using an LxT1, although they have requested a Pulse from the Mother House.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert, but I have been playing with this stuff for a long time and I have gone through a tedious (and expensive) learning curve on sound measurements. In my opinion, the LxT1-QPR, while not quite as accurate as we would like, is better than most of the alternatives when used with weighting.'
View Quote
I think that Dr. Dater is the most knowledgeable and and his years of experience are unmatched here.

He doesn’t discount the lxt1-qpr actually has done direct comparison to his LD 800B and finds it real close as long as it’s calibrated correctly, and the proper weighting is being used.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think that Dr. Dater is the most knowledgeable and and his years of experience are unmatched here.

He doesn’t discount the lxt1-qpr actually has done direct comparison to his LD 800B and finds it real close as long as it’s calibrated correctly, and the proper weighting is being used.
View Quote
Agreed on PHD experience.

But part of science is the ability for other researchers to duplicate work and get same results. PHD's tests were 9 years ago, and AFAIK nobody used the same guns/ammo as he did in their tests.

Digital meters are highly dependent on software. No telling how many different OS versions or firmware versions have taken place in 9 years. It is very hard to replicate results without identical equipment and software levels. How do we know they did not change firmware to fix something which broke something else?

I worked for a major CPU chip maker. We had problems with some CPUs crashing due to cache memory errors. Our fix was to change firmware and slow the chips down. Did we tell anybody? No. Did anybody ever find out? No. But if someone ran identical benchmarks side by side, they would not have gotten identical results.

It is entirely possible his results could be replicated if we had the same 9 year old meter running the same software. Look at the iPhone 6. If you keep it up to date on S/W, it runs slower than the guy who has not updated the S/W. Apple fixed it for you to save you battery life.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, just read this thread and a couple points:

1.  Great seeing all the pros in here providing information.  It's awesome seeing all the guys from different companies providing insight and talking together about a subject.

2.  I don't think I have ever seen one person go down in flames like 10mm lol.  This thread ought to be a lesson on what not to do when information you support is proven wrong by almost every single industry expert in as field.  I kept waiting for him to stop, and he just kept digging in deeper.

I am like a lot of people now, with 10 suppressors I am at the point where I am not chasing a DB claim now, but other points such as customer service, build, mounts, etc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol. 10mm just keeps digging that hole.

This thread is fascinating though. I didn't know about PHD's tests until this thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yet, in their PAPER catalog they gave out a SHOT2018, page 30 they list the NUMBERS of the SR-5 as 32dB, 133 dB.

Yeah, "numbers on paper don't mean shit", unless they are posting them. Apparently they were referring to your NUMBERS, when they said "don't mean shit", not theirs. Is that bitch slap they put on your face still red?

Why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AAC agreed that numbers on paper don't mean shit

I guess it's cool to tell people they got "bitch slapped" in a tech forum?  Sweet I didn't know.

I already answered your question 4 times, you're evidently not up to the task of understanding.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow, just read this thread and a couple points:

1.  Great seeing all the pros in here providing information.  It's awesome seeing all the guys from different companies providing insight and talking together about a subject.

2.  I don't think I have ever seen one person go down in flames like 10mm lol.  This thread ought to be a lesson on what not to do when information you support is proven wrong by almost every single industry expert in as field.  I kept waiting for him to stop, and he just kept digging in deeper.

I am like a lot of people now, with 10 suppressors I am at the point where I am not chasing a DB claim now, but other points such as customer service, build, mounts, etc.
View Quote
It's really funny how people interpret the same thread differently, it's also interesting how people will ignore what you say and hallucinate something to disagree with.

If you don't like the videos don't watch.  Pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate your videos and the technical interchange you've stimulated.  If I had the time and inclination I could see myself following the approach you did and I hope what you get out of it for yourself continues to be fruitful.  So far based on your comments over on the 54 page GD Trump Battered Wife Syndrome Coming Out Ball I think you've got thick enough skin to take constructive comments to heart and not let the abrasive aspects do any more than help polish your game.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I appreciate your videos and the technical interchange you've stimulated.  If I had the time and inclination I could see myself following the approach you did and I hope what you get out of it for yourself continues to be fruitful.  So far based on your comments over on the 54 page GD Trump Battered Wife Syndrome Coming Out Ball I think you've got thick enough skin to take constructive comments to heart and not let the abrasive aspects do any more than help polish your game.
View Quote
I lol'd hard at that, thanks.

And you are 100% correct.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, given the random nature of a deficient rise time and slow sampling rate it's possible for small sample sizes to occasionally look like they are giving good numbers.

I've been involved in test readiness reviews to instrument some expensive tests for transient data in my former life.  Having good standards (and by that I mean known test specimens for each data line to verify a valid test set up before a half million dollar shot) is critical to believable data (valid and verifiable) and confidence in a test.

Measuring high pressure impulses is apparently not trivial when there is no standard gun shot to calibrate to.   As in many things knowledgable and experienced lab and test practitioners are worth their weight in follow-on contracts.  A lot of the old single use analog test instruments had their quirks, but high speed data acquisition in the digital realm isn't always plug and play.  Understanding the physics trumps a cool LabView display.

The elephant in the room is whether Larson Davis has been inappropriately marketing a marginal device.  It's one thing for an amateur, non professional consumer to use a device where the consequences are of little cost.  But if professional users have been impacted, that's perhaps more significant.  Hopefully those with a stake in this are talking to the right people.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've spent a lot of time in the last 10 years metering suppressors and I continue to do so. Both ours and anything else I deem interesting from the other companies. .I've posted more than a few videos online over the years. In the last 2 years I've done side by sides with the LXT at least 6 times. I only have the one on video with Frank from Snipers Hide but the results have always been the same. Others I know in the industry that have done side by sides like Chris have had the same results I have. The LXT is useless and nothing more than a random number generator when it comes to gunshots.I've got together with other suppressor comapnies on several occasions and I've even had other companies that didn't have a meter send me cans to meter for them. I'd like to think I'm trusted for good info. I'm not here to piss in someones Cheerios for the hell of it.I don't know what LXT Dr Phil had or how it was set up but his results are nothing like what I and others in the industry have seen. I will continue to post videos with our trusty old 2209. Like I've said before I shot it side by side with the Pulse system and B&K reps last year. I know the numbers I get are good. I will continue to disregard numbers from machines that do not meet the military equipment specification. I don't think I'm all that smart but when I look at the info about digital meters I understand why they don't work when they fall short of the spec. I don't see how the science is arguable at all especially when my field results match and are exactly the way the science says they should be. When you miss the peak pressure because rise time it to slow and you don't have enough data points because sample rate is also low how can you think you are going to have good numbers?
But what the hell do I know? I'll just keep kicking out cans and videos for you guys to enjoy.
View Quote
Ray's a way bigger nerd than I ever imagined.  I totally respect that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It metered 158 unsuppressed, - 34 would be 124.  I got as low as 123.7

View Quote
LOL and didn't you think, wait that meters quieter than an MP5SD, quieter than an MP5 with raptor and subsonic ammo, quieter than a 9" 300 blackout with subsonic ammo, and about as quiet as most subsonic pistols......

ROFL, Sorry man, You're wrong, the SR5 is over 130 db.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL and didn't you think, wait that meters quieter than an MP5SD, quieter than an MP5 with raptor and subsonic ammo, quieter than a 9" 300 blackout with subsonic ammo, and about as quiet as most subsonic pistols......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It metered 158 unsuppressed, - 34 would be 124.  I got as low as 123.7

I agree that 158 suppressed is low, and 123 is low.  I said that in this thread and I think in the video.  I remember specifically shooting it again because the numbers looked low and I didn't trust them.

The reduction seems about right though.  Which I have said all along too.  Most people in this thread ignore all that and just herp derp ur meter sukz.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree that 158 suppressed is low, and 123 is low.  I said that in this thread and I think in the video.  I remember specifically shooting it again because the numbers looked low and I didn't trust them.

The reduction seems about right though.  Which I have said all along too.  Most people in this thread ignore all that and just herp derp ur meter sukz.
View Quote
So, your argument is...."It gives wrong #'s, but it gives wrong numbers reliably"....??

Because if so, you understand why that is a problem, yes?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, your argument is...."It gives wrong #'s, but it gives wrong numbers reliably"....??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reduction matches pretty much with manufacturers number, and if you want lab data you should get it from a lab not a guy in a field making YouTube videos, I think I said that on page 1.

If you think my testing and meter aren't up to the task of R&D for cans, or comparing to lab grade numbers, you're right.  I never said it was.  I said it was to supplement my opinion, which is exactly the definition of a review.

I still disagree that the LXT is a "random number generator" and useless for a YouTube review.  It may not be useful for someone designing cans for a living, but it's plenty good enough for this type of work.

Of course all the industry professionals in here say this isn't good enough, it's not good enough for THEM.  Because they're doing R&D, not YouTube videos.  (Hence my quoted comment at the top of this page)

As has been stated multiple times, the performance of a can is very subjective.  Since you can't actually hear what it sounds like via a video the only other thing you can really get from a review is the opinion of the reviewer.  This meter is good enough for me to correlate "what I heard" with some data.  It's not going to give you the actual sound level within .1 dB.  And regardless of what the people in this thread say, those that watch YouTube videos are ok with that.

If you don't like the videos or find them useful, don't watch them.  Many other thousands of people do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#18]
If you don't like the videos or find them useful, don't watch them. Many other thousands of people do.
View Quote
What you might be not understanding here though is that when a prospective customer watches a review to help them make a purchase, they look to the data in AR15 video as being authoritative. Right or wrong, the videos are taken as fact. The majority of viewers will see “the meter says 124”.

I have zero experience with meters, and frankly don’t want any, but if you choose to use one, it really needs to follow an industry standard. The data is not only skewed, it’s incorrect.

The radar detector analogy someone made previously is a good one to remember: a speed reduction of 85 to 65 is a big difference compared to 75 to 55. And that’s implying the original speed readings are correct to begin with.

I’m not trying to jump on top of the pile, more just reminding myself why I don’t own a meter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What you might be not understanding here though is that when a prospective customer watches a review to help them make a purchase, they look to the data in AR15 video as being authoritative. Right or wrong, the videos are taken as fact. The majority of viewers will see “the meter says 124”.

I have zero experience with meters, and frankly don’t want any, but if you choose to use one, it really needs to follow an industry standard. The data is not only skewed, it’s incorrect.

The radar detector analogy someone made previously is a good one to remember: a speed reduction of 85 to 65 is a big difference compared to 75 to 55. And that’s implying the original speed readings are correct to begin with.

I’m not trying to jump on top of the pile, more just reminding myself why I don’t own a meter.
View Quote
Kind of like the old commercials back in the 50's.  Man in suit  says, " When I test suppressors, (pauses to take a drag of cigarette) I always use a (insert meter type). They are the preferred meter from the American foundation of Silencer sellers, and I am a middle aged white guy wearing a suit, smoking a cigarette, so I have to be telling the truth. Good night".
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I would just like to thank the industry professionals who take the time to provide such great information to this forum.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have used the lxt1 and have gotten the same results as Dr Dater and find that the meter is reliable if used correctly and the proper weighting is used.  Again, I have done the comparisons and believe that the data if done correctly is within +-2db. I can take a bk 2209 and use a weighting and get numbers that are 6 to 8 db low compared to a pulse meter so what makes it that much better.  Just test everything equal and the numbers will reflect.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
At this point you're wasting your time, Ray. This Nobel laureate thinks that, because his shit meter managed to get a vaguely accurate NSR despite terrible precision, demonstrable equipment problems, and a small sample size, it somehow means he can use that to claim his results are "good enough." He's a charlatan who doesn't understand the theory behind silencer testing equipment nor basic principles of statistics. Just post a link to this thread every time he makes a dumb claim in the future and people will see for themselves. It's hilarious to watch him go toe to toe with the people who do this for a living like he's pulling the wool over their eyes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Harp for 3 pages about the meter being no good and the numbers in the video being no good and then say you aren't chasing dB LOL.

The part in bold is flat out false.  Period.  Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says, they care about how the gun sounds when they shoot it with the can on. Not to mention they don't have a meter anyway, so they would never even see a dB number let alone give a shit about it.

Using the word feces instead of shit doesn't make your last sentence any more appropriate for a tech forum.  Not to mention the video in the OP is on the AR15.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL.  So you're saying this forum is peddling shit.  Might wanna rethink that bold strategy cotton lol.
View Quote
Wrong. I buy cans and I care.

Yes, I care how the can sounds, but since I can't shoot every can before buying, (good) meter data gives me the most accurate idea of how loud one can is vs. another. Personally I value that more than just a single guy's opinion on what sounds better. Different people have different preferences on what cans they think sound best. Without being able to hear them all personally, the meter is the next best option.

There are certainly other attributes to consider when looking at different cans, but meter data IS a valuable part of the big picture, to myself and many other customers. Trying to argue that the numbers don't mean anything to anyone (just because you can't deliver accurate data) just makes you look like a fool.

There are plenty of good suppressor reviews that don't use a meter. They have their place. Just admit your numbers were junk and skip the toy meter next time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The reduction matches pretty much with manufacturers number, and if you want lab data you should get it from a lab not a guy in a field making YouTube videos, I think I said that on page 1.

If you think my testing and meter aren't up to the task of R&D for cans, or comparing to lab grade numbers, you're right.  I never said it was.  I said it was to supplement my opinion, which is exactly the definition of a review.

I still disagree that the LXT is a "random number generator" and useless for a YouTube review.  It may not be useful for someone designing cans for a living, but it's plenty good enough for this type of work.

Of course all the industry professionals in here say this isn't good enough, it's not good enough for THEM.  Because they're doing R&D, not YouTube videos.  (Hence my quoted comment at the top of this page)

As has been stated multiple times, the performance of a can is very subjective.  Since you can't actually hear what it sounds like via a video the only other thing you can really get from a review is the opinion of the reviewer.  This meter is good enough for me to correlate "what I heard" with some data.  It's not going to give you the actual sound level within .1 dB.  And regardless of what the people in this thread say, those that watch YouTube videos are ok with that.

If you don't like the videos or find them useful, don't watch them.  Many other thousands of people do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR15.com should reconsider using you to do their videos in the future. You are damaging their reputation.

Apparently, according to someone in this thread, you're an engineer and I find this remarkable. You're here arguing the value of accurate testing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
10mm the meter is no fucking good because you can test cans side by side and not get the right results. Guns & Ammo tested our 338 Ultra against a bunch of cans. It metered the worst but they said it sounded the best. I know for a fact that of they cans they tested the closest to the Ultra is still 6dB louder. Yet we metered the loudest of the bunch but sounded noticeably quieter to those there.
What fucking good is that?
View Quote
If it sounded quieter, then they should state it as such.  Did they meter at the ear or in the standard location?  Because I have personally shot and tested cans that meter louder and sound quieter to the shooter.    Which would a customer rather have, a can that sounds better to them or produces a number on a meter (that they will never own or see) that is lower?

Of course they would want the one that sounds better.

If your can sounded the best then it was the best, what good is the meter number if yours was lower either?  It's still just a number on an LCD screen.  The user experience always trumps that.  Although a precise meter is a useful tool in developing a can that gives that user experience, it really doesn't mean much after the fact.

It's like HP in a car, sure you need a super accurate calibrated dyno to know if .010" more valve lift gives you more power where you want it.  But just because some schmuck rolls his car on a dyno and says it makes 450 hp it doesn't really mean it's true.  What matters is how it feels when he drives it.  The dyno doesn't change that, the car does whatever it does regardless of a dyno number.  Cans are the same way, you can measure them the right way or wrong way or anything in between, but it's still gonna do whatever it's gonna do.  And how it sounds to the shooter is really all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point you're wasting your time, Ray. This Nobel laureate thinks that, because his shit meter managed to get a vaguely accurate NSR despite terrible precision, demonstrable equipment problems, and a small sample size, it somehow means he can use that to claim his results are "good enough." He's a charlatan who doesn't understand the theory behind silencer testing equipment nor basic principles of statistics. Just post a link to this thread every time he makes a dumb claim in the future and people will see for themselves. It's hilarious to watch him go toe to toe with the people who do this for a living like he's pulling the wool over their eyes.
View Quote
I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.  I also have more than a basic understanding of statistics (Mechanical engineering degree, math minor, DFSS Green Belt).

The people who "do this for a living" you guys keep referencing design and develop cans.  They don't review them on YouTube.  There is a difference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, I care how the can sounds, but since I can't shoot every can before buying, (good) meter data gives me the most accurate idea of how loud one can is vs. another. Personally I value that more than just a single guy's opinion on what sounds better. Different people have different preferences on what cans they think sound best. Without being able to hear them all personally, the meter is the next best option.

There are certainly other attributes to consider when looking at different cans, but meter data IS a valuable part of the big picture, to myself and many other customers. Trying to argue that the numbers don't mean anything to anyone (just because you can't deliver accurate data) just makes you look like a fool.

There are plenty of good suppressor reviews that don't use a meter. They have their place. Just admit your numbers were junk and skip the toy meter next time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harp for 3 pages about the meter being no good and the numbers in the video being no good and then say you aren't chasing dB LOL.

The part in bold is flat out false.  Period.  Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says, they care about how the gun sounds when they shoot it with the can on. Not to mention they don't have a meter anyway, so they would never even see a dB number let alone give a shit about it.

Using the word feces instead of shit doesn't make your last sentence any more appropriate for a tech forum.  Not to mention the video in the OP is on the AR15.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL.  So you're saying this forum is peddling shit.  Might wanna rethink that bold strategy cotton lol.

You don't take your silenced gun to the range with a calibrated mil spec meter, shoot the gun and then read the meter and then decide how you like the sound.

Nobody does that.  Period.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
AR15.com should reconsider using you to do their videos in the future. You are damaging their reputation.

Apparently, according to someone in this thread, you're an engineer and I find this remarkable. You're here arguing the value of accurate testing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I'm not.

Some of you guys make about as much sense as me saying  "hahaha look at all these clowns with no subscribers trying to tell me how to make videos!!  omg what would you know I make videos every week and I have millions more views than you hahahaha you are arguing with an industry professional".
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is.

Why else would you worry about the meter lol
Because when customers buy a can thinking it is 124 when it is really 132, they are unhappy. That is not chasing decibels, that is DISHONEST. Chasing dBs can only happen with valid results, which you do not have. It is bad for customer, it is bad for AAC, it is bad for everybody. Cans cost hundreds, and take months to acquire. People who do reviews with bogus meters, and then stand by them, how can you trust anything else they say? They have no credibility.

As I said, people like you do more harm than good.

Let's keep this thread going, the more folks who see it and learn from it the better. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for the feces you peddle.

The part in italics is flat out misleading. An 8 db difference is huge and noticeable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The part in italics is flat out misleading. An 8 db difference is huge and noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is.

Why else would you worry about the meter lol
Because when customers buy a can thinking it is 124 when it is really 132, they are unhappy. That is not chasing decibels, that is DISHONEST. Chasing dBs can only happen with valid results, which you do not have. It is bad for customer, it is bad for AAC, it is bad for everybody. Cans cost hundreds, and take months to acquire. People who do reviews with bogus meters, and then stand by them, how can you trust anything else they say? They have no credibility.

As I said, people like you do more harm than good.

Let's keep this thread going, the more folks who see it and learn from it the better. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for the feces you peddle.

LOL that's hilarious. And it validates exactly what I said. If the difference is "huge and noticeable" then it greatly affects how the gun sounds. Which is the only thing people care about.

Glad we agree.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LOL that's hilarious. And it validates exactly what I said. If the difference is "huge and noticeable" then it greatly affects how the gun sounds. Which is the only thing people care about.

Glad we agree.
View Quote
We do not agree. You completely misrepresented the post by RenegadeX. You should be thanking him and the other industry people for correcting you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been following this thread and I agree with this 100%
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Case in point:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't take your silenced gun to the range with a calibrated mil spec meter, shoot the gun and then read the meter and then decide how you like the sound.

Nobody does that. Period.
Who is saying end users want to meter their cans? I can't begin to fathom how you got that from what I said.  Unless you just didn't even bother reading it.

- Customer wants to know how a can sounds
- Customer can't try out all cans in person
- Meter data gives customer some idea of a can's performance

That's as simple as I can make it. Fact is myself and plenty of other customers find that info useful when shopping for cans when we can't hear them in person beforehand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
+1

Case in point:

Who is saying end users want to meter their cans? I can't begin to fathom how you got that from what I said.  Unless you just didn't even bother reading it.

That's as simple as I can make it. Fact is myself and plenty of other customers find that info useful when shopping for cans when we can't hear them in person beforehand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Case in point:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part in bold is flat out false. Period. Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says, they care about how the gun sounds when they shoot it with the can on. Not to mention they don't have a meter anyway, so they would never even see a dB number let alone give a shit about it.

Using the word feces instead of shit doesn't make your last sentence any more appropriate for a tech forum. Not to mention the video in the OP is on the AR15.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL. So you're saying this forum is peddling shit. Might wanna rethink that bold strategy cotton lol.

Nobody does that. Period.

It's almost as if you should get lab numbers from a lab, and opinions from reviewers.  And use multiple data points to make your decision.

What an idea!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's almost as if you should get lab numbers from a lab, and opinions from reviewers.  And use multiple data points to make your decision.

What an idea!
View Quote
And you could stop using (and defending) BAD numbers in your reviews and stick to giving opinions.

I already said suppressor reviews can be good and useful without a meter. But if you're going to use a meter and give people numbers you should make sure you're not giving BAD numbers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What an idea!
View Quote
Then keep the meter out of your "review"
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
10mm if the 338 Ultra sounded much better ( they did put in the article that it sounded the best) and with Mil Spec equipment tests much better. What good is the LTX when it makes the 338 Ultra test louder? It shows that the meter is useless for testing gunshots.
View Quote
Did they use a mil spec meter the same day as the LXT?  Or are you comparing numbers from two different days/guns/locations?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
( + popcorn)
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The people who "do this for a living" you guys keep referencing design and develop cans.  They don't review them on YouTube.  There is a difference.
View Quote
"I'm making YouTube videos so I don't need to do it the right way."

Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is a test I did a year and a half ago, please someone with a “mil spec meter” do the three same cans and let’s compare numbers.

Ok I got out today to test 3 different cans: silencerco hybrid, silencerco omega and the Oss elite. All were shot using m193 ball through a bcm 11.5" upper with Jp silent capture spring. I'll just give averages at this point, when I get more organized and can detail everything out I will, I took the measurements in 3 spots and all were 5 shot groups. 1 meter left of bore, shooters right and left ears, with the Larson Davis lxt1-qpr C weighted.

Base line was: 2 shots 169.7 and 170

Oss elite:
1 meter left: 140.64 avg.
Shooters right ear: 137.36 avg.
Shooters left ear: 138.18 avg.

Sico omega with 5.56 end cap:
1 meter left: 142.18 avg.
Shooters right ear: 139.58 avg.
Shooters left ear: 136.8 avg.

Sico hybrid 5.56 end cap:
1 meter left: 141.78 avg.
Shooters right ear: 138.34 avg.
Shooters left ear: 136.18 avg.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm going to ask these in here because of the knowledge level of those contributing so far...

Does an adjustable gas block reduce the at-ear dB number? I was watching a MAC video tonight of a can I have on order (YHM Turbo, x2) and it was ~14dB louder at the ear than the muzzle. I have some of mine tuned so they won't even cycle correctly without the silencer...and wondered if that would meter lower than a wide open gas block.
View Quote
Yep.  I've done a lot of work with this and I won't build up a rifle without using an adjustable gas block or carrier.  With the right can, it gets even better at-ear.  Really high backpressure cans that are optimized for muzzle performance capture a huge amount of pressure and allow it to go out the chamber when it opens. Sounds like the Turbo is in that ballpark. That's how the number gets so quiet at the muzzle.

If you can stop the chamber from opening too soon (adjustable block or carrier), then you're allowing some of that energy to make it out the muzzle.  But...  it'll make the muzzle reading higher.  It's a conservation of energy thing.  You can imagine how suppressor companies can play with this for their marketing numbers.  Many have done it unwittingly for years.  It's a dirty secret, but there you go.

This is also why dB chasers are mocked. I can dial a "super quiet" 556 suppressor to 140+ dB at the muzzle with a good block or carrier.  That might be a 10+ dB jump.  So for people to split hairs over a couple dBs between brands from wildly different test conditions and platforms is kind of funny to watch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#47]
@deserteaglexxx  Yeahhhhh.... those numbers look funny.  Unless you were running an adjustable gas system (or some piston systems).  Especially on an SBR.  That's the only way you could ever get those SiCo cans anywhere near those at- ear numbers.  And the muzzle numbers would end up higher like that too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep.  I've done a lot of work with this and I won't build up a rifle without using an adjustable gas block or carrier.  With the right can, it gets even better at-ear.  Really high backpressure cans that are optimized for muzzle performance capture a huge amount of pressure and allow it to go out the chamber when it opens. Sounds like the Turbo is in that ballpark. That's how the number gets so quiet at the muzzle.

If you can stop the chamber from opening too soon (adjustable block or carrier), then you're allowing some of that energy to make it out the muzzle.  But...  it'll make the muzzle reading higher.  It's a conservation of energy thing.  You can imagine how suppressor companies can play with this for their marketing numbers.  Many have done it unwittingly for years.  It's a dirty secret, but there you go.

This is also why dB chasers are mocked. I can dial a "super quiet" 556 suppressor to 140+ dB at the muzzle with a good block or carrier.  That might be a 10+ dB jump.  So for people to split hairs over a couple dBs between brands from wildly different test conditions and platforms is kind of funny to watch.
View Quote
@Mageever have you found the adjustable carrier or gas block to be better at the ear? I’m a big fan of the Bootleg carrier but was curious if it dumps more gas out of the port leading to higher at ear numbers vs. a gas block that may dump up front.

As always thanks for your insight in the forum.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Please do the same on the bk2209 and let’s compare.  I would love to get together with someone this summer and do side by side testing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Mageever have you found the adjustable carrier or gas block to be better at the ear? I'm a big fan of the Bootleg carrier but was curious if it dumps more gas out of the port leading to higher at ear numbers vs. a gas block that may dump up front.

As always thanks for your insight in the forum.
View Quote
@Mageever

I'm curious about this as well

Strongly considering the Bootleg or Gemtech because they seem like they are very effective, but my main criteria is suppressor reduction at my ear, not at the muzzle
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top