Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be doing YT videos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They'd be wrong. That is a marketing fluff piece made to sell meters.  Since this is a tech forum, information presented here should be as technically accurate as possible, especially with respect to db measurements where there is a known standard to follow.

I have a standing invitation for any individual, dealer or manufacturer to send me silencers to measure according to MILSTD1474D.
You should be doing YT videos.
Youtube, bloggers  everyone's a friggin expert these days.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
This thread definitely shows the lack of quality suppressor meter testing videos. Most suppressor "reviews" are just a guy saying, "it's pretty quiet" and testing with a junk meter, if at all.

I didn't know much about the .mil standards and how different meters stack up before this thread, so thanks to the guys posting good info.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This thread definitely shows the lack of quality suppressor meter testing videos. Most suppressor "reviews" are just a guy saying, "it's pretty quiet" and testing with a junk meter, if at all.

I didn't know much about the .mil standards and how different meters stack up before this thread, so thanks to the guys posting good info.
View Quote
Agreed if you are posting data and want to be credible at least use the proper tools especially if you are posting in a tech forum.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
In this thread random joes try to teach industry experts about their own industries...  wtf is wrong with people.

Shit meets spec or it doesn’t.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They'd be wrong. That is a marketing fluff piece made to sell meters.  Since this is a tech forum, information presented here should be as technically accurate as possible, especially with respect to db measurements where there is a known standard to follow.

I have a standing invitation for any individual, dealer or manufacturer to send me silencers to measure according to MILSTD1474D.
View Quote
That piece was done by PHD, if the meter is that inaccurate why would PHD have done the article on it?

I would like to get together with someone with their 2209 and compare with same weighting system side by side.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In this thread random joes try to teach industry experts about their own industries...  wtf is wrong with people.

Shit meets spec or it doesn’t.
View Quote
*cracks another beer*
There was a post in GD years ago - something to the effect of...
"Arfcom: some of the brightest minds in America arguing with some of the dumbest mother fuckers on the internet"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate sound testing.  It's got to be one of the most difficult things to measure for a myriad of reasons:

-It's transient (the thing you measured, can never be re-measured--like a machined piece of metal).
-It's very affected by environment.
-It's a process.  The meter is only part of it--you have to assess muzzle placement alignment with mic, environmental stuff, wind, host weapon, the operator's interaction, it goes on and on...

I'm super anal about all of it, so it's always a stressful day.  We use a National Instrument setup like Silencerco's.  I have very good faith in it.  I believe the faster sampling rate required in the new MIL-STD-1474E is needed more for the super high pressures above 170 dB.  I've done testing with Silencer Shop and I think their 2270 is actually OK.  But first, here's some Cliff notes on assessing sound systems:

These are the parameters that you look at when doing a measurement system analysis.  Remember--it's not just the meter, it's a SYSTEM.  That includes operator interaction, setup, environment, etc....

1.  Bias--this is how closely it matches a known standard.  With sound meters you calibrate at a certain sound level.  Mine is at 114 dB.  This is also called accuracy.

2.  Repeatability and reproducibility-- This is how consistent it is.  This is super hard to assess because the sound is a transient impulse.  We do "pseudoreplicates" of large shot strings to simulate the measurable item over and over to gain confidence in the output.  Reproducibility is being able to have someone else do the same thing or you yourself do it again the next day (think system, not just meter) with very little variation.  Repeatability is also called precision.  Yes, precision is different than accuracy.

3.  Linearity-- This is the ability of the system to measure equally and proportionally across it's range.  Picture a ruler that's six feet long.  If each mark is only a few thou' off on a 12" ruler, you wouldn't notice.  By the time you hit six feet, you'd have a significant difference.

4.  Stability--This kind of looks at all of the parameters above in a time sense.  Stability is a real issue in sound testing.  I test the same can multiple times through a test session if it goes long.

I believe the Larson Davis meter has issues with all of the above.  Bias is an issue when reading 123 dB on average when it should be around 133 dB.  It's like hitting the guys target next to you on the range.  Repeatability is having one shot measure in the mid-130's the next measure in the mid-120's.  That's like having your target shot grouping open up to 10 MOA.

Getting back to Silencer Shop's B&K 2270, I believe it has just a little bit of bias because of the lack of sampling rate.  It has almost always metered 1-2 dB lower than our NI system when shot back-to-back.  You can get good consistency with it the better you orient the mic, control EXACTLY where the muzzle sits, and reduce environmental objects.  One source of error that I'll discuss here was back when they were just loosely standing next to it while shooting.  Tyler fixed a lot of that when he started working there.

In the end, I see my NI system as a micrometer that will measure tenths of thousandths of an inch.  It does well in a lab and it's very accurate and precise.  I can use it assess products during development.  If I see a 1 dB difference between products, I know that could just be noise and not act on it.  If I see a 2 dB difference I know I can trust it.  Several 1-2 dB modifications to a suppressor can really add up.  A B&K 2270 is like a set of calipers that measures in the thousandths.  You loose a little bit of the accuracy and precision, but it's still very reliable.  I may not trust my results if I see a 2 dB difference unless I had several shot groups.  The LD LXT-1 is like a ruler.  That wooden kind.  With the flaky paint.  I couldn't use that at all in my product development.

Sorry.  That was boring--but this is real engineering and real work.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Nice write up Todd. Just curious if you've played around with spectrograms as a way of characterizing suppressor performance vs just a single dB value? I know NI has some spectrogram VIs but it's been a LONG time since I've used LabView to do any kind of data acquisition and signal processing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for that, Todd--some of us really appreciate it when the pros take time to give us a little insight into the details!

I didn't know MAC's meter doesn't meet the spec.  What's the consensus on the validity of his numbers?  Same as Silencer Shop?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate sound testing.  It's got to be one of the most difficult things to measure for a myriad of reasons:

-It's transient (the thing you measured, can never be re-measured--like a machined piece of metal).
-It's very affected by environment.
-It's a process.  The meter is only part of it--you have to assess muzzle placement alignment with mic, environmental stuff, wind, host weapon, the operator's interaction, it goes on and on...

I'm super anal about all of it, so it's always a stressful day.  We use a National Instrument setup like Silencerco's.  I have very good faith in it.  I believe the faster sampling rate required in the new MIL-STD-1474E is needed more for the super high pressures above 170 dB.  I've done testing with Silencer Shop and I think their 2270 is actually OK.  But first, here's some Cliff notes on assessing sound systems:

These are the parameters that you look at when doing a measurement system analysis.  Remember--it's not just the meter, it's a SYSTEM.  That includes operator interaction, setup, environment, etc....

1.  Bias--this is how closely it matches a known standard.  With sound meters you calibrate at a certain sound level.  Mine is at 114 dB.  This is also called accuracy.

2.  Repeatability and reproducibility-- This is how consistent it is.  This is super hard to assess because the sound is a transient impulse.  We do "pseudoreplicates" of large shot strings to simulate the measurable item over and over to gain confidence in the output.  Reproducibility is being able to have someone else do the same thing or you yourself do it again the next day (think system, not just meter) with very little variation.  Repeatability is also called precision.  Yes, precision is different than accuracy.

3.  Linearity-- This is the ability of the system to measure equally and proportionally across it's range.  Picture a ruler that's six feet long.  If each mark is only a few thou' off on a 12" ruler, you wouldn't notice.  By the time you hit six feet, you'd have a significant difference.

4.  Stability--This kind of looks at all of the parameters above in a time sense.  Stability is a real issue in sound testing.  I test the same can multiple times through a test session if it goes long.

I believe the Larson Davis meter has issues with all of the above.  Bias is an issue when reading 123 dB on average when it should be around 133 dB.  It's like hitting the guys target next to you on the range.  Repeatability is having one shot measure in the mid-130's the next measure in the mid-120's.  That's like having your target shot grouping open up to 10 MOA.

Getting back to Silencer Shop's B&K 2270, I believe it has just a little bit of bias because of the lack of sampling rate.  It has almost always metered 1-2 dB lower than our NI system when shot back-to-back.  You can get good consistency with it the better you orient the mic, control EXACTLY where the muzzle sits, and reduce environmental objects.  One source of error that I'll discuss here was back when they were just loosely standing next to it while shooting.  Tyler fixed a lot of that when he started working there.

In the end, I see my NI system as a micrometer that will measure tenths of thousandths of an inch.  It does well in a lab and it's very accurate and precise.  I can use it assess products during development.  If I see a 1 dB difference between products, I know that could just be noise and not act on it.  If I see a 2 dB difference I know I can trust it.  Several 1-2 dB modifications to a suppressor can really add up.  A B&K 2270 is like a set of calipers that measures in the thousandths.  You loose a little bit of the accuracy and precision, but it's still very reliable.  I may not trust my results if I see a 2 dB difference unless I had several shot groups.  The LD LXT-1 is like a ruler.  That wooden kind.  With the flaky paint.  I couldn't use that at all in my product development.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Excellent post, Todd. Thanks for that. It was great meeting you at SHOT as well.

I like the micrometer - caliper - ruler example.

@mikesmith13807 I would say that yes, MAC's numbers could be compared to Silencer Shop's - at least for the most part. He uses the same meter, but environmental factors will differ somewhat. He appears to do a good job of keeping mic placement consistent, so I trust his process.

Also as Todd mentioned, Silencer Shop has done a lot over the last few years to increase the consistency of their testing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fantastic idea!  Below is just a quick list I compiled. @Tuukka please correct where needed.

MILSTD-1474D

Test site - Equipment shall be tested in its exact operating location if the location is known and such testing is feasible. When this is not possible, the test site shall be a uniform flat grass surface, free of ice, snow, or vegetation over 15 cm tall; it shall be free of reflecting surfaces such as buildings, trees, or hillsides within 30 meters.

Muzzle measurement - 1.6 meters from the ground and 1 meter left of the muzzle or exit of silencer.

At ear measurement - At ear level, 15 cm from the right ear.  If a wall or other reflective surface is closer than 3 cm from the operator's right ear, the microphone shall be positioned equidistant from the right ear and that surface.

Rise-time - Rise time capability shall be less than 1/20 of the measured A- duration of the impulse and should be not more than 20 microseconds. Cables that cause an increase in measured rise time shall not be used. [The Larson LTX is greater than 30 microseconds.]

Microphone orientation - Blunt cylinder shaped transducers shall be positioned with the sensing surface facing up if possible. Transducers shall be oriented with reference to the noise source so that the plane passing through the sensing surface includes the noise source. This orientation is defined as grazing incidence (90 degrees). This technique will tend to minimize the arrival of shock waves at transducer incidence angles between 0 and 90 degrees, which may cause ringing and overshoot.

AAC: B&K Pulse system
ArevaloSOCOM (NFA Talk): B&K 2209
ASE UTRA: B&K Pulse system
Captiol Armory:
CGS: B&K 2209
Dead Air:
Energetic Armament: B&K 2209
Gemtech:
Griffin: B&K 2209
Hansohn Brothers: B&K 2209
KG Made: Larson LTX
Military Arms Channel: B&K 2270 (had a B&K 2209 in early videos)
Q: Larson LTX
Rugged: National Instruments (not sure of model)
SilencerCo: National Instruments (not sure of model)
Silencer Shop: B&K 2270
Thunder Beast: B&K 2209

Green text denotes meter that meets MILSTD1474.
Red text denotes meter that does not meet MILSTD1474.
View Quote
The MIL-STD 1474E has dropped the next to muzzle reference positions, only indicating the ear measurements.

It has also increased the distance to reflective surfaces to 30 m   ( less works very well in practice though )

Sampling rate required is up to 192,000 from 160,000

With regards to the manufacturer/equipment list, to my knowledge SureFire also uses the B&K PULSE system.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Some amazing replies in this thread.  I've  always wondered about the calibration standard for a very high magnitude impulse noise. I think the practical takeaway here for amateur product reviewers and video documentation is to always have a 'reference' can and ammo setup with the hosts and conditions as similar as possible.  I think this was the consensus on the Claymore thread.

Todd's point about data as an engineering development tool needs to be contrasted against data being used (Mis-used?) as a comparative marketing tool.  Particularly since many of us use the products (happily) on sub-bore calibers and barrel lengths different than what the stated average is tested on, I'd imagine the user variability and standard deviation swamps even the variables that plague controlled testing.  Then there is user environment and individual ears.  There are some cans out there that sound really good relative to their stated meter levels.

I appreciate the OP's efforts and hope the comments here act as a fine polish.  I particularly like seeing the unicorn RDB as a host.  Seems like the lack of blowback gas is pretty sweet, and subjective comments about port pop are useful.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all from industry that have replied with the technical aspects of sound metering.

OP - Consider changing the topic title to "The Amazing AAC SR5 - Industry Experts Analyze Sound Metering". For better or worse, very few posts have ever gained this much interest from big names in the suppressor world.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really all they should be.  It's not cost justified to replicate .mil testing and that number doesn't even give people the info they really need.  Many people would be happy with a can that meters higher and has less blowback and sounds quieter at the ear (I've personally had people who never shot with a can before shoot the MaxFlo side by side with this can and 100% of them liked the Maxflow better) because of the shooting experience.

99.9999999% of people who purchase a can don't purchase a sound meter to go along with it.  And even if they did they wouldn't bring their meter to the range shoot the gun and then read the number and decide if they felt good.  They shoot with the can, hear it, and go hmm that sounds good or meh that sounds kinda loud.

Having some comparison numbers to go along with the test is nice, that's why I borrowed the meter for some videos.  If a potential buyer wants to know the absolute sound level they're probably just gonna read what's on the manufacturers website and go with that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#21]
RTIC vs Yeti thread. 

I will just stick with my Gem-tech Halo, as I have no purse to swing.

I think you can go to a particular place on the site and learn how to post pictures.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
----
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Silencer industry drama vs. YouTube hillbilly "testing". This thread is firing on all cylinders.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's really all they should be.  I can't speak for every viewer, but personally I'd like more from a review. Yes there are plenty of other important attributes of a can to talk about, but without good numbers I feel like a big piece of the puzzle is missing. How valuable would a review of a new caliber be if the guy just shot a distant hillside and said, "well that got there pretty quick, seems to be going really fast."

It's not cost justified to replicate .mil testing and that number doesn't even give people the info they really need.  If people want an idea of how a can performs compared to other cans, or on different firearms, etc., then that's the best way to get that info. Like Todd said, sound testing is a pain in the ass, and never perfect, but it's not impossible to get good data. If I had access to a bunch of different cans I'd happily invest in a nice meter and do all kinds of testing. Probably not worth it just to test the two cans I have so far though.

Many people would be happy with a can that meters higher and has less blowback and sounds quieter at the ear  Absolutely, and accurate (as possible) metering at the ear sure would be nice for that.
(I've personally had people who never shot with a can before shoot the MaxFlo side by side with this can and 100% of them liked the Maxflow better) because of the shooting experience.

99.9999999% of people who purchase a can don't purchase a sound meter to go along with it.  And even if they did they wouldn't bring their meter to the range shoot the gun and then read the number and decide if they felt good.  They shoot with the can, hear it, and go hmm that sounds good or meh that sounds kinda loud.  Most people don't shoot with a chrono either, but they generally like to know what kind of performance their getting. Especially given the significant investment not only in money but time when it comes to NFA stuff. Personally I want as much info as I can get. I take into account a lot of different things when shopping for a can, but sound level IS one of those things, and so to me the numbers matter.  

Having some comparison numbers to go along with the test is nice, that's why I borrowed the meter for some videos.  But if the numbers are junk why bother?

If a potential buyer wants to know the absolute sound level they're probably just gonna read what's on the manufacturers website and go with that.  I'm not interested in the absolute sound level so much as relative levels. Manufacturer's don't all use the same testing method so you can't really rely on comparing the numbers they give.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really all they should be.  I can't speak for every viewer, but personally I'd like more from a review. Yes there are plenty of other important attributes of a can to talk about, but without good numbers I feel like a big piece of the puzzle is missing. How valuable would a review of a new caliber be if the guy just shot a distant hillside and said, "well that got there pretty quick, seems to be going really fast."

It's not cost justified to replicate .mil testing and that number doesn't even give people the info they really need.  If people want an idea of how a can performs compared to other cans, or on different firearms, etc., then that's the best way to get that info. Like Todd said, sound testing is a pain in the ass, and never perfect, but it's not impossible to get good data. If I had access to a bunch of different cans I'd happily invest in a nice meter and do all kinds of testing. Probably not worth it just to test the two cans I have so far though.

Many people would be happy with a can that meters higher and has less blowback and sounds quieter at the ear  Absolutely, and accurate (as possible) metering at the ear sure would be nice for that.
(I've personally had people who never shot with a can before shoot the MaxFlo side by side with this can and 100% of them liked the Maxflow better) because of the shooting experience.

99.9999999% of people who purchase a can don't purchase a sound meter to go along with it.  And even if they did they wouldn't bring their meter to the range shoot the gun and then read the number and decide if they felt good.  They shoot with the can, hear it, and go hmm that sounds good or meh that sounds kinda loud.  Most people don't shoot with a chrono either, but they generally like to know what kind of performance their getting. Especially given the significant investment not only in money but time when it comes to NFA stuff. Personally I want as much info as I can get. I take into account a lot of different things when shopping for a can, but sound level IS one of those things, and so to me the numbers matter.  

Having some comparison numbers to go along with the test is nice, that's why I borrowed the meter for some videos.  But if the numbers are junk why bother?

If a potential buyer wants to know the absolute sound level they're probably just gonna read what's on the manufacturers website and go with that.  I'm not interested in the absolute sound level so much as relative levels. Manufacturer's don't all use the same testing method so you can't really rely on comparing the numbers they give.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#25]
What does a proper sound meter cost?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll answer your comments in order:

The "seems to be going really fast" comparison is bullshit, because literally listening to the can is exactly what people do and what will make them happy.  Watching a bullet is not the same.

It's not worth it to test 100 cans on a YouTube channel either.  They don't even make those analog meters anymore, anything that meets the standard is really expensive and just doesn't make sense for a YouTuber.  If I owned a company doing R&D on cans sure, but not for reviews.

Metering at the ear hasn't been adopted as an industry standard, so the comparison of numbers becomes more difficult.

Just like with a chrono you can read the box and know what type of velocity to expect, a chronograph is also very cost effective most people should own one.

Because people like them.  I'm making review videos not doing lab research.  Often times I post links to videos on arfcom and people bitch and bitch and bitch, but the feedback from YouTube is very positive.  Because not everyone is a hardcore silencer nerd and many people just like some data that shows it's doing what its supposed to.

Manufacturers should be testing to a standard to produce comparable numbers, anything else is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What does a proper sound meter cost?
View Quote
I've been told $50,000 ish for the digital ones that meet the standard.  Or you can try to find an analog one that isn't made anymore.

I think the future is going to be using high quality microphones and data acquisition system to just plot the entire wave and a spreadsheet to convert to dB.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The "seems to be going really fast" comparison is bullshit, because literally listening to the can is exactly what people do and what will make them happy.  Watching a bullet is not the same.  It is the same because it's nothing more than your opinion with zero real data to back it up. Opinion vs. numbers.

It's not worth it to test 100 cans on a YouTube channel either.  They don't even make those analog meters anymore, anything that meets the standard is really expensive and just doesn't make sense for a YouTuber.  If I owned a company doing R&D on cans sure, but not for reviews.

Metering at the ear hasn't been adopted as an industry standard, so the comparison of numbers becomes more difficult.   Doesn't mean a channel can't have their own standard and test various cans that way. It would be enough to compare one can to another in that regard.

Just like with a chrono you can read the box and know what type of velocity to expect, a chronograph is also very cost effective most people should own one.

Because people like them.  I'm making review videos not doing lab research.  Often times I post links to videos on arfcom and people bitch and bitch and bitch, but the feedback from YouTube is very positive.  Because not everyone is a hardcore silencer nerd and many people just like some data that shows it's doing what its supposed to.  If people are bitching so much maybe it has something to do with the quality of your videos. I don't doubt there are plenty of less knowledgeable folks on YT who take your bogus numbers at face value and will think a can is getting <125db on 5.56. Meanwhile actual experts (talking about the industry guys, not myself) are explaining why the numbers you got are junk.

Manufacturers should be testing to a standard to produce comparable numbers, anything else is a waste of time.  I do agree it would be nice if there was an industry wide standard that everyone used. In the meantime I find third party testing valuable. There ARE channels at least trying to do good metered comparisons and those are the kind of reviews I like and wish there were more of.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting that for whatever reason the LD measured the unsuppressed shot so low. When I used the meter, I obtained an average over 5 shots from a 22" rifle of 163.3 dB..

If the analog gauge is the gold standard, why isn't it made anymore, or why hasn't someone come along and built a meter to take it's place?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are the arfcom reviewers (Buffman, 10mm_, Wound Channel, etc) using the same Larson?

As to why it's not made anymore, could be component parts were no longer available.  Digital was coming of age at the time too (early 80s) so that probably contributed too.  As to why no-one has made a replacement is need, only the silencer industry needs such device so it's not worth the time develop, test and market.  In short; there's no money in it.

There is a standard for at ear measurements in mil-std1474.  I will be testing to that standard since that's what a lot of people seem to be asking for.  And yes, it'll be on YouTube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting that for whatever reason the LD measured the unsuppressed shot so low. When I used the meter, I obtained an average over 5 shots from a 22" rifle of 163.3 dB..

If the analog gauge is the gold standard, why isn't it made anymore, or why hasn't someone come along and built a meter to take it's place?
Are the arfcom reviewers (Buffman, 10mm_, Wound Channel, etc) using the same Larson?

As to why it's not made anymore, could be component parts were no longer available.  Digital was coming of age at the time too (early 80s) so that probably contributed too.  As to why no-one has made a replacement is need, only the silencer industry needs such device so it's not worth the time develop, test and market.  In short; there's no money in it.

Quoted:

Metering at the ear hasn't been adopted as an industry standard, so the comparison of numbers becomes more difficult.
There is a standard for at ear measurements in mil-std1474.  I will be testing to that standard since that's what a lot of people seem to be asking for.  And yes, it'll be on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "seems to be going really fast" comparison is bullshit, because literally listening to the can is exactly what people do and what will make them happy.  Watching a bullet is not the same.  It is the same because it's nothing more than your opinion with zero real data to back it up. Opinion vs. numbers. The way you interpret the sound of a can is the most important part of it's performance.  It is NOT the same as bullet velocity.  It's very subjective.

Metering at the ear hasn't been adopted as an industry standard, so the comparison of numbers becomes more difficult.   Doesn't mean a channel can't have their own standard and test various cans that way. It would be enough to compare one can to another in that regard.  That's like making up your own ballistic gel to test ammo.  It's stupid if you aren't testing to a standard.

Because people like them.  I'm making review videos not doing lab research.  Often times I post links to videos on arfcom and people bitch and bitch and bitch, but the feedback from YouTube is very positive.  Because not everyone is a hardcore silencer nerd and many people just like some data that shows it's doing what its supposed to.  If people are bitching so much maybe it has something to do with the quality of your videos. I don't doubt there are plenty of less knowledgeable folks on YT who take your bogus numbers at face value and will think a can is getting <125db on 5.56. Meanwhile actual experts (talking about the industry guys, not myself) are explaining why the numbers you got are junk. "People" are not bitching very much.  Arfcom bitches about everything.

Manufacturers should be testing to a standard to produce comparable numbers, anything else is a waste of time.  I do agree it would be nice if there was an industry wide standard that everyone used. In the meantime I find third party testing valuable. There ARE channels at least trying to do good metered comparisons and those are the kind of reviews I like and wish there were more of.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The exact same meter, Buffman shipped it to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "seems to be going really fast" comparison is bullshit, because literally listening to the can is exactly what people do and what will make them happy.  Watching a bullet is not the same.  It is the same because it's nothing more than your opinion with zero real data to back it up. Opinion vs. numbers. The way you interpret the sound of a can is the most important part of it's performance.  It is NOT the same as bullet velocity.  It's very subjective.

Metering at the ear hasn't been adopted as an industry standard, so the comparison of numbers becomes more difficult.   Doesn't mean a channel can't have their own standard and test various cans that way. It would be enough to compare one can to another in that regard.  That's like making up your own ballistic gel to test ammo.  It's stupid if you aren't testing to a standard.

Because people like them.  I'm making review videos not doing lab research.  Often times I post links to videos on arfcom and people bitch and bitch and bitch, but the feedback from YouTube is very positive.  Because not everyone is a hardcore silencer nerd and many people just like some data that shows it's doing what its supposed to.  If people are bitching so much maybe it has something to do with the quality of your videos. I don't doubt there are plenty of less knowledgeable folks on YT who take your bogus numbers at face value and will think a can is getting <125db on 5.56. Meanwhile actual experts (talking about the industry guys, not myself) are explaining why the numbers you got are junk. "People" are not bitching very much.  Arfcom bitches about everything.

1. It IS subjective, which is all the more reason one person saying "it's loud" or "it's quiet" doesn't count for much. People with multiple cans will have different opinions about which one sounds the best to them, so how does that make for valuable review information? You could end up with a completely different opinion than the reviewer. There's no way to know exactly how you'll like a particular can without trying it yourself, but there IS a way to get reasonable accurate NUMBERS about a can's performance. That's far more useful for comparing one can to another than any one other person's opinion.

2. HansohnBrothers corrected you by pointing out that there is a standard, so there you go.

3. If people who actually know that they're talking about pointing out the flaws in your testing is "bitching" to you then I don't know what to say.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1. It IS subjective, which is all the more reason one person saying "it's loud" or "it's quiet" doesn't count for much. People with multiple cans will have different opinions about which one sounds the best to them, so how does that make for valuable review information? You could end up with a completely different opinion than the reviewer. There's no way to know exactly how you'll like a particular can without trying it yourself, but there IS a way to get reasonable accurate NUMBERS about a can's performance. That's far more useful for comparing one can to another than any one other person's opinion.

2. HansohnBrothers corrected you by pointing out that there is a standard, so there you go.

3. If people who actually know that they're talking about pointing out the flaws in your testing is "bitching" to you then I don't know what to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's almost as if you have to value the opinion of the person giving the review lol.   Why would you ever make a video if all you were going to do is show numbers from a meter?  You could just write a few sentences and be done with it.   If the entirety of your video can be summed up in two sentences it doesn't need to be a video.  The reason people watch online reviews is to hear the opinion of the reviewer.

There is a standard that everyone follows?  I thought I just read someone say even all manufacturers numbers aren't even comparable.  Which is it?

That's a long post for someone who doesn't know what to say lol

EDIT:  Found it, it was you lmao

I do agree it would be nice if there was an industry wide standard that everyone used.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is what I was getting at. So one could assume our meter is 1-2 on the low side if anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is what I was getting at. So one could assume our meter is 1-2 on the low side if anything?
Yeah, but not always.  That 1-2 dB falls under bias (from my post above) and it's not like it's a constant.  Test setup (remember, this is a process) can negate it or enhance it.  If the mic is a tad closer than 1 meter or it's maybe 1 cm in front of the front cap of the suppressor then you may find it averages the same.   Backing the mic off the front of the can by a few cm can really help consistency.  Or, if you put it all the way back at the muzzle of the gun, it helps your marketing (see Silencerco).  Anyone notice a few years back how all of their numbers dropped by a few dB?  That's why.

Which is another thing.  People love to hang their hat on averages without looking at the spread.  If you're target shooting and you have one load that hits 1" on average from the another load, but both are 5 MOA, you would never been able to tell the two groups apart.  Only a few hits on either side would truly be "different".  That's suppressor averages for you.  The bell curves can overlap 90%, but the one that is 2 dB quieter on average is declared a winner by dB weenies.

The trick is to reduce all variation in testing.  The more you keep things exactly the same when testing, the more accuracy and precision you'll have.

Quoted:
Todd's point about data as an engineering development tool needs to be contrasted against data being used (Mis-used?) as a comparative marketing tool.  Particularly since many of us use the products (happily) on sub-bore calibers and barrel lengths different than what the stated average is tested on, I'd imagine the user variability and standard deviation swamps even the variables that plague controlled testing.  Then there is user environment and individual ears.  There are some cans out there that sound really good relative to their stated meter levels.
Good point.  I learned this saying from my stats teacher:  "Engineers (or silencer companies, youtube personalities, fanbois, whatever) use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post--more for support than illumination".  Most people stumble through sound testing and in the end they're just filming their learning process.  I don't fault the OP for this.  My reference to Silencerco above is a perfect example, though.

Quoted:

Nice write up Todd. Just curious if you've played around with spectrograms as a way of characterizing suppressor performance vs just a single dB value? I know NI has some spectrogram VIs but it's been a LONG time since I've used LabView to do any kind of data acquisition and signal processing.
Thanks.  Yep, I've definitely used frequency response curves, but not actual spectrograms.  I think those are more for continuous sound, but I guess I need to look into those more.  I feel like it's more of an art than a real science for me when applying it to product development.  Like, I'm not taking a dozen representative curves from two test variables and overlaying them and doing scary calculus.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's almost as if you have to value the opinion of the person giving the review lol.   Why would you ever make a video if all you were going to do is show numbers from a meter?  You could just write a few sentences and be done with it.   If the entirety of your video can be summed up in two sentences it doesn't need to be a video.  The reason people watch online reviews is to hear the opinion of the reviewer.

There is a standard that everyone follows?  I thought I just read someone say even all manufacturers numbers aren't even comparable.  Which is it?

I do agree it would be nice if there was an industry wide standard that everyone used.
View Quote
I'll try to keep it simple so you can keep up.

There is a military standard for testing (MIL-STD 1474E). This includes at ear measurement. Not all manufacturer's use that standard. They use meters that don't meet the requirements, or different measurement parameters. I'm not even sure they all make their testing methods public. So when I say it would be nice to have an industry standard, I mean it would be nice if suppressor companies agreed to all use the same standard consistently, to make comparisons easier. Using MIL-STD 1474E would make the most sense, but it could be different. The idea is to have them all doing it the same way, which they don't right now. Keeping up so far? If not go back and read the thread, it's all been covered.

You do have to value the opinion of the reviewer, and having watched your other videos, my value of your opinion on suppressors is exactly zero. I do like to have some quality feedback and impressions from the reviewer ALONG with the numbers, but I ALSO would like the numbers. Who said anything about video with ONLY numbers and nothing else?

When I said "I don't know what to say" I meant in regards to your comment about everyone "bitching" (I have plenty to say about your mediocre review). I would say maybe learn to admit when you're wrong and try learning a thing or two from the more knowledgeable folks, but clearly you refuse to look at criticism as anything other than "bitching" so I won't waste any more of my time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is a military standard for testing (MIL-STD 1474E). This includes at ear measurement. Not all manufacturer's use that standard. They use meters that don't meet the requirements, or different measurement parameters. I'm not even sure they all make their testing methods public. So when I say it would be nice to have an industry standard, I mean it would be nice if suppressor companies agreed to all use the same standard consistently, to make comparisons easier. Using MIL-STD 1474E would make the most sense, but it could be different. The idea is to have them all doing it the same way, which they don't right now. Keeping up so far? If not go back and read the thread, it's all been covered.

You do have to value the opinion of the reviewer, and having watched your other videos, my value of your opinion on suppressors is exactly zero. I do like to have some quality feedback and impressions from the reviewer ALONG with the numbers, but I ALSO would like the numbers. Who said anything about video with ONLY numbers and nothing else?

When I said "I don't know what to say" I meant in regards to your comment about everyone "bitching" (I have plenty to say about your mediocre review). I would say maybe learn to admit when you're wrong and try learning a thing or two from the more knowledgeable folks, but clearly you refuse to look at criticism as anything other than "bitching" so I won't waste any more of my time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good you won't waste any more of your time being wrong and bitching.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The exact same meter, Buffman shipped it to me.
View Quote
Yep, exact same meter. Just for clarification, I do not do reviews for AR15.com (yet) :)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are being incredibly defensive when you could just take the opportunity to listen and learn from industry professionals.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#42]
The “industry professionals” in this situation are only worried about others testing their cans and giving numbers.

Since the LD LXT1 is the meter that a few have gotten and used some now want to say the bk 2270 is not to bad because silencer shop and Mac use it. This is crazy, the Larson Davis lxt1 is and has the closest specs to the mil spec standard in a digital meter and is the best option today. There are some professionals that worked on changing some standards and the Larson Davis would be the best option as a meter to use if that ever happens.

I’m in Illinois if we can get together somewhere to test side by side.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread =

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#44]
No kidding. These threads just turn into pissing matches. Despite the drama I really appreciate the likes of AAC, DA, TBA, PHD etc and our industry partners chiming in to try and clean the process up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is crazy, the Larson Davis lxt1 is and has the closest specs to the mil spec standard in a digital meter and is the best option today.
View Quote
No crazy is trying to justify the use of a meter that does not work but is close. The best option is to use a meter that works properly. Folks using a meter that does not work and then reporting the results (like 123 on 556) do more harm than good and set the industry back 20 years.

And the worst part is folks using this meter have never done a side by side or s gunshot calibration to know how bad it is.

Imagine if cops used a radar gun that was off up to 10 mph.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#47]
How long do we have to wait until we stop hearing people refer to "industry standard" and just talk about milspec xxxx?  Have you ever heard anybody refer to the AR-15 "industry standard"?  Of course not, because we have milspec to keep everybody on the same page!

As a community of users, prospective customers, reviewers, experts, etc. we need to unite and force manufacturers to get with the program and stop enabling the manipulation and suppression of data for marketing purposes.  There's no reason we shouldn't have reliable data available at this point to compare every product's performance at the ear (and the muzzle, of course).
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]
The reason good data isn't universal is it is expensive and painstaking to get.  Then reducing that data to one figure of merit takes all that resolution and smears it with a broad brush.  In the end it's the VHS vs Beta conundrum and good marketing and customer support usually trumps the engineers micrometer evaluations.  And by good marketing I don't mean SilencerCo lifestyle vids, I mean getting the right information out in a useful form.

Getting back to the awesome video theme of this discussion, many posts in this sub forum come down to people trying to select between a couple of similar candidates. So since we've already mentioned the utility of having a reference suppressor for a meter bench mark, I'd also suggest that judicious pairing might also help inform that final choice between top contenders.  Videos comments as to mounting, cleaning, options can also be useful.

I'd like to hear and contrast the Halcyon against the Oculus and maybe the Optimus Micro for rimfire and 5.7.  It might be a while before those are all out in the wild but I think that would be a popular video.

Similarly I'd like to see the Sandman K versus Omega 9k on short 8-10" barrel 300BO with supers and subsonics.

Finally Obsidian 9 vs Tirant 9m.  With typical 147gn subsonic in both configurations and commentary on blowback on a pistol.

Did I mention steel targets should be banned from suppressor vids?  Just trying to be helpful...
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#49]
^ The Halcyon ran good on my 5.7 hosts (FSN and SBR). Even ran pretty good on the PMR-30
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You are being incredibly defensive when you could just take the opportunity to listen and learn from industry professionals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which of these industry professionals make YouTube videos?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top