Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
OP  Measure the case mouth diameter.  It looks large, like you don't have enough of a crimp to take the bell out.  Compare the measurement to a factory loaded round.  If it is much larger than the factory ammo that can keep your round from seating in a heartbeat.
View Quote

The Fiocchi I'm comparing to is .374-.375, mine is .377-.379 so yeah, mine is bigger (first time saying that! haha) although at some points my reload showed .375, they aren't exactly round, I'm assuming that is normal? Can't really expect the brass to be reshaped constantly and be exact numbers, right?

Quoted:
I’m fighting a similar problem with 9mm. This morning I tried this to see where things were too tight.

I colored a case on a round that would not plunk in my chamber with a sharpie, then forced it in and out of the chamber a few times. Push it in then pry it back out with a small screwdriver, like this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-1616932.JPG

Mine look like this, I can clearly see where it is too big.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-1616935.JPG

Might be a useful diagnostic tool for your problem.
View Quote

I can try that, except the 2 shorter ones I made aren't sticking, well at least not in the barrel. They are not fitting the case gauge perfectly, so I guess it will help answer that. So, yeah, I guess I can try that too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a touch more crimp.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a touch more crimp.
View Quote

At least "a touch more."

OP, the gage shouldn't really interact with the bullet (your barrel is a different thing).  The first step is to see if your loaded rounds are giving you problems because of belling/crimping.  If not, THEN see if it's the bullet profile that's causing problems, using your barrel.

If you're not removing enough of the flare you applied before seating the bullet, the mouth of the case will be too big and will stop the round before it's all the way in.  Just like in your chamber.

As meistermash noted earlier, a 9x19mm case is tapered.

The mouth of the case must not only stop the round on the chamber's headspace shoulder, it must be small enough in diameter to get to that shoulder.

This is less troublesome with jacketed bullets for two reasons.  First, they're typically 0.355" in diameter while lead (and plated or coated) bullets are 0.356 (or more).  Second, since lead bullets are also more easily deformed in seating, we tend to be a bit more "generous" when we bell cases.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top