Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2021 10:56:20 AM EDT
I'll start this by saying.... I love caliber debates. I don't want anything to get heated, but I usually end up nerding out on ballistic numbers.

In short, a buddy of mine let me shoot his PS90, so now I need one. I didn't give them much credit, but it was tons of fun to shoot. This may be blasphemy here, but the ruger 57 is coming down in price and I've kind of got my eye on that as well...

Beyond that, I'm trying to determine if 5.7 is a realistic caliber to use defensively, or if I just want to regard the PS90 as a fun gun to shoot occasionally. I've read all the stories, that 5.7 really only makes sense if you are using AP against an enemy wearing AP. Speer makes a 5.7 load now as well, but the gel tests don't really look all that great. But of course, capacity is king here. Ballistics test are one thing, but I haven't really come across any real world case studies to review. Are there many?

What's the opinion here?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m too lazy to look but studies of incidents showed that while it kills people, it doesn’t stop them, and it’s a poor substitute for a larger weapon. The best loads are said to have terminal effect more like 9mm ball.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I for one don't want to get shot with a 5.7mm, 40-grain projectile traveling 1,900 fps, or a 28-grain bullet traveling at 3,000 fps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my first choice, but anyone getting hit with multiple shots on target is going to have a very bad day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
5.7 has proven itself
Hate to reference this but look at the Fort Hood incident
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.7 has proven itself
View Quote

30 of the 43 people shot survived.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

30 of the 43 people shot survived.
View Quote

Look at where on the body most of those that survived were hit.

I saw a well put together list detailing each victims injuries, almost all of the survivors were struck in their limbs or non-life threatening areas. And in the few examples where victims were struck in the head or chest survived, most of those were grazing wounds, fragments, etc. I mention that because more then once I've seen people say "Mr _____ was shot in the head at Fort Hood and survived... thus 5.7 sucks". They intentionally leave out such important details.

Yet another aspect that plays heavy when using such examples that is often ignored... time to medical care. Most of the victims were recieving first aid within just a few minutes, and advanced care just a few minutes later. That plays a HUGE part in outcome.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5.7 has proven itself
View Quote

A variant of that same phrase has been uttered by every 5.7 fan in every thread for 12 years.

Cho killed 33 and wounded 17 with a 9mm and a 22 and with a similar number of rounds expended.

No single data point is good for proving or disproving anything like this, so both events are really irrelevant in the scheme of things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s typical of GSWs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I saw a well put together list detailing each victims injuries, almost all of the survivors were struck in their limbs or non-life threatening areas. And in the few examples where victims were struck in the head or chest survived, most of those were grazing wounds, fragments, etc. I mention that because more then once I've seen people say "Mr _____ was shot in the head at Fort Hood and survived... thus 5.7 sucks". They intentionally leave out such important details.

Yet another aspect that plays heavy when using such examples that is often ignored... time to medical care. Most of the victims were recieving first aid within just a few minutes, and advanced care just a few minutes later. That plays a HUGE part in outcome.
View Quote

It’s a 22 that can’t get more than about 9” or penetration in gel with most bullets. It’s not impressive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That list is too fanbois to take seriously.

But I’ve talked to a half a dozen people directly who have participated in or witnessed over 100 homicides with 4.6 and 5.7, and don’t care so much for them. Where’s the video of the guy getting stung by bees when you need it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It’s a 22 that can’t get more than about 9” or penetration in gel with most bullets. It’s not impressive.
View Quote

Tell that to the 13 dead people at Fort Hood.
BTW... I'm not impressed by jello or those that worship slow motion jiggle videos.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But I’ve talked to a half a dozen people directly who have participated in or witnessed over 100 homicides with 4.6 and 5.7
View Quote

I'm going to call BS on that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
A 37 grain bullet at 2100fps is a death ray suddenly?

Also I looked over a list of injuries from Fort Hood. Several we shot in the chest or back and survived. The survivor I met had a paralyzed arm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Several we shot in the chest or back and survived.
View Quote

You left out the types of wounds and what organs were/weren't involved... why?

Countless numbers of people have been shot in the chest/back... with pistol and/or rifle calibers...  and survived.
What is your point?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]

How many of those shot were killed/survived is a retarded metric.  How quickly a determined offender can be taken out of the fight is the only thing that matters in a defensive shoot.  Ft. Hood shooter was popping unarmed and unprepared victims.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tell that to the 13 dead people at Fort Hood.
BTW... I'm not impressed by jello or those that worship slow motion jiggle videos.
View Quote

I’m sure you know better than professionals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You left out the types of wounds and what organs were/weren't involved... why?

Countless numbers of people have been shot in the chest/back... with pistol and/or rifle calibers...  and survived.
What is your point?
View Quote

The other fanbois posted a list that said it never happened.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’m calling BULLSHIT, what’s your supporting data? There has been almost ZERO shootings with the HK 4.6 and there hasn’t been 100 shootings with the 5.7x28! It like the Urban Legend of the perp who was shot 17 times with the 5.7 and asked the Officers to stop shooting him! And speaking of shooting a perp 14 times,  how about a DOCUMENTED shoot with the .45 acp where the Officer hit him with 14 rounds?

So, how do you feel about the “LEGENDARY” .45 acp???

LINK
View Quote

Almost zero? Plainly you are running with the wrong crowd. Lots of people have been shot with 4.6.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Where did these shootings occur? What Dept.?

Again, without supporting documentation it’s just Gun Shop BULLSHIT!

Without any documentation you are completely discrediting yourself
View Quote

Jacksonville, couple others I can’t remember, but mostly Department of the Army and Department of the Navy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How many of those shot were killed/survived is a retarded metric.  How quickly a determined offender can be taken out of the fight is the only thing that matters in a defensive shoot.  Ft. Hood shooter was popping unarmed and unprepared victims.

View Quote

If you talk to people with experience with the 4.6 in particular they’ll tell you it’s a great tool for killing the unsuspecting but you want a bigger gun once they know you’re there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don’t think so, 32 years wearing a Badge and some of that on S.W.A.T.

What’s your background?
View Quote

How many SMU vets have you sat down with? That’s who is using these things in shootings.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It like the Urban Legend of the perp who was shot 17 times with the 5.7 and asked the Officers to stop shooting him!
View Quote

Some years ago I saw that thread in an archive. I love how the guy who made the initial claim refused to provide ANY information to corroborate the supposed event, not a date, not a city, not a state, NOTHING. He would only babble about "operational security" and such. IIRC he also claimed to have been involved in a second shooting where the person was shot multiple times in the torso, yet shrugged off the hits like they were mosquito bites. Refused to provide any specifics for that one as well.

These are the same people who seem to piss all over 30 Carbine as being ineffective... yet celebrate 357 Magnum
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, go price some ammo 1st.  If you're gonna run a 16" bbl PS90, then ammo is reasonable, but still below even M193 performance from a 16" bbl, and far more expensive.

If you're going carry pistol, go price the 28 grn boutique ammo that'll you'll need to sell your left kidney for to get bullets out over 2100 fps.  The whole point of the 5.7x28mm is rifle performance from a pistol.  In order to do that, you're going to pay a very high price.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The other fanbois posted a list that said it never happened.
View Quote

You are obfuscating.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The whole point of the 5.7x28mm is rifle performance from a pistol.
View Quote

That was never the point, not by any stretch. The pistol game after the fact simply as a means to share a common caliber with the P90. Beyond that it's "point" was to defeat typical body armor that could not be defeated by common service pistol calibers. Even the P90 was never intended to deliver "rifle performance".
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#31]
We use it for our home defense. My wife can cycle the slide easily and fire it without out flinching too much. It has 20 rds of SS198, and is not heavy. Other ladies I have allowed to shoot it committed it is fun and easy. The same ones that have difficulty cycling a full size 9mm and shooting it.

For us, ammo is not expensive because I bought 2k rounds previous to the crazy.

Now, as others have noted, make sure you can practice and buy ammo, otherwise pick another option.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was never the point, not by any stretch. The pistol game after the fact simply as a means to share a common caliber with the P90. Beyond that it's "point" was to defeat typical body armor that could not be defeated by common service pistol calibers. Even the P90 was never intended to deliver "rifle performance".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The whole point of the 5.7x28mm is rifle performance from a pistol.

That is the point of the round on the US civilian market.  Other than the cuteness factor, there's really no point to 5.7x28mm in a Title 1 rifle when 5.56x45mm is more widely available, more effective, and both the round & platform are less expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure why not.

38/357, 10mm,  9mm, 45acp stopping power wars don't end.

Shot placement counts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm curious what recent NATO acceptance/standardization will do for ammo options and availability....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm curious what recent NATO acceptance/standardization will do for ammo options and availability....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/PXL_20210506_012952331_jpg-1942164.JPG
View Quote

I think I need another SBR
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  I'm curious what recent NATO acceptance/standardization will do for ammo options and availability....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/PXL_20210506_012952331_jpg-1942164.JPG
View Quote

Is that the Marine Corps blue crayon rounds?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is that the Marine Corps blue crayon rounds?  
View Quote

Mag ID with a paint marker ??
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I think OP it is within a given parameter where lightness of the ammo over other factors and/or want a flatter trajectory over a longer range.

I picked up a PS90 for novelty and fun, but can appreciate the 50 round capacity, ability to wield it with one hand, short compact nature of it and its relative lightweight ness. I topped mine with a TROUSA mini ACOG mount and TA44. I can easily pop steel silhouettes at 200 yards and it carries easier than an AR. I think it makes a nice traveling gun, so if I decide to SBR I will get another to maintain easy interstate travel. It is not too loud anyway.

The FN57 or Ruger pistol are again going to be very lightweight and offer 20+1 so that is nice. Probally not what I would go looking for trouble with, but I don't do that anyway, however if trouble found me I would be well enough armed for 2 legged snakes with one as those targeting me would likely not be the type to press an attack anyway, especially when getting shot.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#40]
The new 50 grn loading from Liberty in .357 SIG sounds pretty interesting.  Buffman has indicated he might test the 50 grn Liberty 9x19mm into gel from a 16" carbine this summer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the older SS192 and the FN SS198 ? Is the SS198 better for home defense?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
5.7 has proven itself
View Quote

Self defenders are not usually attacked by seated people.

The fact is, mass is needed to reach the vitals and the vitals must be reached to stop an attacker.  Attackers will be at least enraged and adrenaline is a wonderful pain and shock blocker.  Attackers are often high on some substance so they don't feel pain or shock.  The vitals must be reached.

These ultra-light projectile launchers are neat and easy-to-shoot well but probably aren't going to put an attacker down fast enough.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#45]
The 5.7's strong suit was penetration and mag capacity ,if that's what you desire it might appeal to some people.

Its closer to 22 mag ballistics or .222 , .223 , 22 hornet, etc. and those are not death rays but still more effective from a rifle than a 5.7 handgun.
Its varmint class ballistics.

I fired a few hundred rounds from a PS90 with the real FN ammo and it was lackluster to me.
Having a 5.7 handgun would be a nice range toy but the ammo is WAY overpriced and in short supply IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don’t think so, 32 years wearing a Badge and some of that on S.W.A.T.

What’s your background?
View Quote

Everybody referred to in this thread being shot by 4.6 were shot by SOF units. They aren't saying 4.6 is prevelant in US shootings.

Its pretty out in the open that the SF guys are not impressed with 4.6 as far as I know.

That's how I read what was said, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  The 5.7's strong suit was penetration and mag capacity ,if that's what you desire it might appeal to some people.

Its closer to 22 mag ballistics or .222 , .223 , 22 hornet, etc. and those are not death rays but still more effective from a rifle than a 5.7 handgun.
Its varmint class ballistics.

I fired a few hundred rounds from a PS90 with the real FN ammo and it was lackluster to me.
Having a 5.7 handgun would be a nice range toy but the ammo is WAY overpriced and in short supply IMHO.
View Quote

5.7x28mm has better ballistic coefficient bullets than .22 WMR, so even when .22 WMR is fired from a rifle, it will not have the same performance @ 100 yds as 5.7x28mm will when fired from a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

5.7x28mm has better ballistic coefficient bullets than .22 WMR, so even when .22 WMR is fired from a rifle, it will not have the same performance @ 100 yds as 5.7x28mm will when fired from a handgun.
View Quote

The 22mag is not a death either and still a varmint class round.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  5.7x28mm has better ballistic coefficient bullets than .22 WMR, so even when .22 WMR is fired from a rifle, it will not have the same performance @ 100 yds as 5.7x28mm will when fired from a handgun.

Well aware.  30 grn .22 WMR out of a rifle does clear the 2100 fps level into "rifle wounding performance" seemingly.  .223 is a varmint class round, yet it's been our service cartridge for nearly the last 60 years.  With the right bullets, 5.7x28mm would seem very capable, albeit in a service-sized handgun.  .22 TCM and .357 SIG have more powder capacity & seem closer to the ideal concealed carry pocket rifle round.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top