Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2018 3:18:44 PM EDT
Just arrived today on my doorstep, and wow what a package. The case is phenomenal, comes with just about everything but powder, primers and bullets. Only hiccup was one of the extra tubes I ordered was crushed, so I'll have to email customer service on that. Trigger is very nice, light two stage but kind of like an s3g. A little front heavy and the can blocks the Leupold vx-1 2-7x33 i had laying around at 2x, but ok at 7x. I suspect I'll only shoot this like once in my life, but I love kits and this is a really great kit package. Has to be 100 bucks just in accessories and case. Embroidery on case looks classy! Trap door in buttstock for supplies. I'm betting it cost them about $100 bucks to sell me this "notariflenotasilencer" combo.

Don't worry about extra loading tubes, they are just brass stock from K&S, run from $3 up to $8 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Round-Tube-Brass-Carded/dp/B00FZS2618

I figure to fire the first shot is nearly $100 in supplies from cabelas or the like to get powder/primer/bullets, and probably ~$2 a shot with the fancy bullets they recommend.
on to pics:

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Only hiccup was one of the extra tubes I ordered was crushed, so I'll have to email customer service on that.
View Quote
Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, where did you find it for that price?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I probably would have bought one if they could have been used for hunting in WA state.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck...
View Quote
Yawn. They are past that blip in cs issues. Called last week and got right through.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, where did you find it for that price?
View Quote
Silencerco website. They are dumping them, no surprise though, lots of hassle to take 1 shot. Fun having fedex dropping it off on doorstep.

https://www.store.silencerco.com/products/maxim-50?variant=37950952529
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool idea, but too many limitations
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yawn. They are past that blip in cs issues. Called last week and got right through.
View Quote
Had a baffle strike on a warlock ii last weekend.  They responded with a Rma# Tuesday am.
They seem to be back to normal. Companies get overwhelmed, it happens.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s a nice front stuffer op.
That price tempting. It would be a cool conversation piece if nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you deal with powder build up in the can. I thought black powder is dirty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do you deal with powder build up in the can. I thought black powder is dirty.
View Quote
It’s not just dirty, it’s corrosive.

I’m not sure how you’re getting $100 to fire the first shot, BP supplies aren’t that expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont think the modern synthetic black powders are nearly as corrosive. Regardless, run hot water through it for awhile, dry it out, and run patches like you would any BP gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Silencerco website. They are dumping them, no surprise though, lots of hassle to take 1 shot. Fun having fedex dropping it off on doorstep.

https://www.store.silencerco.com/products/maxim-50?variant=37950952529
View Quote
Thanks, I just placed my order
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dont think the modern synthetic black powders are nearly as corrosive. Regardless, run hot water through it for awhile, dry it out, and run patches like you would any BP gun.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#15]
$2 per shot muzzle loader? No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$2 per shot muzzle loader? No thanks.
View Quote
That's at the high end with the super fancy Federal bullets (~$1.50) and the pelletized powder. Likely it would be cheaper for a "real" black powder enthusiast who shops around. Still cheaper than my Barrett or m203, and will likely see the same amount of use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems like a deal at $450.  They're a cool product,  just not something that interests me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dont think the modern synthetic black powders are nearly as corrosive.
View Quote
Some are worse.  Pyrodex is far nastier than real BP, will even attack stainless, and Triple Seven, while not as corrosive, fouls horribly and is more difficult to clean up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#19]
$450 is nice for a hearing safe BP hunting gun. Some quality BP guns cost more than that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Sold out... I was late to the party on this one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice! I probably would have bought one if they could have been used for hunting in WA state.
View Quote
They can if you can figure out how to make open sights work. 209 ignition just got ok’d for use here
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn out of stock...
That was fast..
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#24]
If these had come out a year earlier and at near this price, I'd have bought one. Instead I bought a Ruger 77/44, paid to have it threaded, and bought a SiCo hybrid for my kids to hunt with. That cost me almost $1800 (although the Hybrid has other uses) and still isn't super accurate unless I use subsonics. With a muzzleloader the kids could have hunted youth season, shotguns season, and both muzzleloader seasons. Shit!
Oh well, I have a nicely made big bore sub gun and a multi use can, and the daughter used both to kill a nice 11 point this youth season but man this would have been way cheaper if it had been available then.
Yes, ear muffs would have been much cheaper than all these options but I was also after the recoil reduction that a can provides. It makes a big difference and the kids notice. I would assume the maxim 50 is the same result.

Edit: Goddamnit I just realized I also wouldn't have bought them a youth muzzleloader, and another scope, just so they could hunt those seasons as well. I have 3 kids so we end up hunting all the seasons available to make it work around all the other crap they're in.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The tracking # says mine will be here Friday.

Has anyone used Powerbelts in these guns? I have some as well as Hornandy FPBs to try and was wondering if the plastic skirt separating from a Powerbelt could be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine today. Great kit. The case is impressive. I did have a broken plastic snap on the shoulder sling bit. Called SiCo, they picked right up and mailed me out a new sling. Looking forward to black powder season now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#27]
For $450 I would have bought one to give as a gift.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got mine today. Great kit. The case is impressive. I did have a broken plastic snap on the shoulder sling bit. Called SiCo, they picked right up and mailed me out a new sling. Looking forward to black powder season now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Mine won't fit in the case now that I've mounted a scope on it lol. I did use an AR mount so the crosshairs would be above the can though.

What is everyone using for bullets? I had time to mount the scope, clean it, and fire two rounds of Hornady 300gr FPBs over 90gr of Blackhorn. They were a foot apart at 50 yards, but if I remember correctly these bullets did the same thing in my normally accurate Strike. The trigger is very light for a hunting gun.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont think the modern synthetic black powders are nearly as corrosive.
Some are worse.  Pyrodex is far nastier than real BP, will even attack stainless, and Triple Seven, while not as corrosive, fouls horribly and is more difficult to clean up.
I would not use anything other than Blackhorn 209 in this gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
FedEx dropped mine off this morning. What height rings are you using? I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 laying around that I plan on putting on it. Does anyone know if there are any other scope bases that will fit?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I got mine off amazon, not a picatinny, so may have trouble with some mounts. I just slapped my scope on there with some medium height rings, the can blocks the lower 1/3rd at 2x, but higher power it isn't as bad.

Traditions Performance... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RA3ZG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I wanted one of these really bad when they came out, but to use it to hunt in NV we need irons.  I ended up with a T/C Encore which I really like, obviously unsurpressed though.  I handled one of the Maxim 50s and the weight out front was way more than I expected, but I still should have bought one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wanted one of these really bad when they came out, but to use it to hunt in NV we need irons.  I ended up with a T/C Encore which I really like, obviously unsurpressed though.  I handled one of the Maxim 50s and the weight out front was way more than I expected, but I still should have bought one.
View Quote
The sight issue is exactly why I didn't buy one.

Personally I think NV needs to get with the times when it comes to muzzleloaders. That, or make it primitive flintlock style.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#33]
like muzzle loading doesn't have enough issues when it comes to working up loads for accuracy.  maybe if you lived on the farm and had all the time in the world, but hitting a public range with everyone around you blasting away and you are futzing with powder and rods...  a freakin nighmare, esp. here in Phoenix when its 110 degrees and you are getting ready for hunting season several months away.

how does it handle the plastic hulls that make up a sabot?

we hunted Colorado which didn't allow sabots, unsure now...  but at least with solid projectiles, you start to understand why people stood in giant rows and blasted away at each other a couple hundred yards away from each other in the 17th century.  otherwise they would be out in the field for several days if everyone took cover.  and then factor in the mfg and tech of several centuries ago...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
like muzzle loading doesn't have enough issues when it comes to working up loads for accuracy.  maybe if you lived on the farm and had all the time in the world, but hitting a public range with everyone around you blasting away and you are futzing with powder and rods...  a freakin nighmare, esp. here in Phoenix when its 110 degrees and you are getting ready for hunting season several months away.

how does it handle the plastic hulls that make up a sabot?

we hunted Colorado which didn't allow sabots, unsure now...  but at least with solid projectiles, you start to understand why people stood in giant rows and blasted away at each other a couple hundred yards away from each other in the 17th century.  otherwise they would be out in the field for several days if everyone took cover.  and then factor in the mfg and tech of several centuries ago...
View Quote
You don't use sabots. But the modern solid projectiles that are quality made don't seem to suffer real accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Well it's back in stock on silencerco website but back to $999
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If these had come out a year earlier and at near this price, I'd have bought one. Instead I bought a Ruger 77/44, paid to have it threaded, and bought a SiCo hybrid for my kids to hunt with. That cost me almost $1800 (although the Hybrid has other uses) and still isn't super accurate unless I use subsonics. With a muzzleloader the kids could have hunted youth season, shotguns season, and both muzzleloader seasons. Shit!
Oh well, I have a nicely made big bore sub gun and a multi use can, and the daughter used both to kill a nice 11 point this youth season but man this would have been way cheaper if it had been available then.
Yes, ear muffs would have been much cheaper than all these options but I was also after the recoil reduction that a can provides. It makes a big difference and the kids notice. I would assume the maxim 50 is the same result.

Edit: Goddamnit I just realized I also wouldn't have bought them a youth muzzleloader, and another scope, just so they could hunt those seasons as well. I have 3 kids so we end up hunting all the seasons available to make it work around all the other crap they're in.  
View Quote
That's very odd, usually subsonic is not as accurate as full power loads
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well it's back in stock on silencerco website but back to $999
View Quote
I wonder if they didn't drop the price to sell a ton right before muzzleloader season to get them out there and draw attention. Timing kind of points at that, since price is back to normal now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's very odd, usually subsonic is not as accurate as full power loads
View Quote
Yeah, but the 77/44's aren't know for accuracy anyway. Supers group twice the size as 300 grain subs in my gun. Guess I never really tried 300gr supers, but that's more recoil than i wanted for the kids project.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Looking for one of these at $450, not for me, but for a friend that has given a lot to this nation.  Let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top