Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2020 5:30:19 PM EDT
Not usable.  Was told it was ready to go. Will not even go into gauge.  Reached out to seller, waiting for reply.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh Lordy those are scrap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Are those old/early cases?

This is exactly why I do not reload .40SW.

I have never had the issue with .357 Sig.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
How long ago did you reach out to the seller? Maybe try contacting a EE mod.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh Lordy those are scrap.
View Quote

Yeah, WTF.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How long ago did you reach out to the seller? Maybe try contacting a EE mod.
View Quote

Just received them today and sent him IM.   He did mention roll sizing in ad, maybe a little too much.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have loaded a lot of 40.  Never had that happen to my brass, nor would I use that brass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be ashamed to sell that as anything more than scrap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
did it come like that or did you do the sizing?  If you, does a unsized case fit in the gauge?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Ugh.  I wonder what is was fired out of to bulge that much?  What kind of dies were they resizing with?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
did it come like that or did you do the sizing?  If you, does a unsized case fit in the gauge?
View Quote

The way they showed up and they will not go into gauge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ugh.  I wonder what is was fired out of to bulge that much?  What kind of dies were they resizing with?
View Quote

Believe he mentioned roll sizing them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
No way I would use that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh my!
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The way they showed up and they will not go into gauge.
View Quote

that's f*cked, open a dispute on EE, not as advertised

All my 40SW brass is range pickups and might have had a handful ending up like that, probably shot from older Glock with partially unsupported chamber.  Using spray lube on the cases helps a lot
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that's f*cked, open a dispute on EE, not as advertised

All my 40SW brass is range pickups and might have had a handful ending up like that, probably shot from older Glock with partially unsupported chamber.  Using spray lube on the cases helps a lot
View Quote

I'll wait and see how he handles it,, Hope no one else bought some, he had a bunch for sale.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
<meme removed> this is not GD, dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been reloading 40 cal for 25+ years & have never seen any cases that bad.  Granted I didn't start shooting a Glock till the early 2000's & they had improved the chambers by then, so unless they were sitting in a closet & forgotten for the the last 25 years, I don't know how they managed to come out like that.  I'm not even certain they came out quite that bad out of the 1st Glocks in 40 cal.  I'd be pretty wary to shoot any.  You could try taking the better looking ones & running them through a bulge buster to see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious why you're trying to gauge empty brass that you have not loaded? It's never even crossed my mind, is that a thing?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been reloading 40 cal for 25+ years & have never seen any cases that bad.  Granted I didn't start shooting a Glock till the early 2000's & they had improved the chambers by then, so unless they were sitting in a closet & forgotten for the the last 25 years, I don't know how they managed to come out like that.  I'm not even certain they came out quite that bad out of the 1st Glocks in 40 cal.  I'd be pretty wary to shoot any.  You could try taking the better looking ones & running them through a bulge buster to see what happens.
View Quote

He said in ad they went through a roll sizer and fully prepped. My guess it didn't go so well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm curious why you're trying to gauge empty brass that you have not loaded? It's never even crossed my mind, is that a thing?
View Quote

He said brass was prepped/sized, should drop in gauge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you get something that is visibly trash like that it makes sense to gauge it before wasting time processing or loading it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe the sentence got truncated;

Was told it was ready to go.

Was told it was ready to go to the brass recycling station.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Maybe grabbed the reject pile by mistake?? Don't know, but they will not pass the test.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]
That is not roll sized brass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Sums it up nicely.

Just saw the link to the EE ad, almost bit on that ad myself
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe sizer was set wrong, too high?  The edge/gouge on case will catch a finger nail, pretty deep.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe sizer was set wrong, too high?  The edge/gouge on case will catch a finger nail, pretty deep.
View Quote

in some of the brass in the pics, the brass looks too large, maybe from out of spec chamber.  Where the sizing stops is where the sizer die hits the shell holder or shell plate, it can't size all the way to the bottom of the case rim

the other brass pieces looks like it's hitting a Glock Smiley

an alternative theory is maybe he used a 357 sizing die or something
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

brass is too large, maybe from out of spec chamber.  Where the sizing stops is where the sizer die hits the shell holder or shell plate, it can't size all the way to the bottom of the case rim
View Quote

Sorry, meant roll sizer.. Never used one, but doesn't it cover the entire shell?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Scrap bucket here,, found almost full box of 40 that had nice blister on case.... they didnt come from GLOCK either,, fire pin strike was round
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm just trying to give @Laxman2809 a chance to explain what happened.
This isn't the first time he sold a member scrap brass.  
View Quote

Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sorry, meant roll sizer.. Never used one, but doesn't it cover the entire shell?
View Quote

never used one but was curious and looks like it does.  At this point I wouldn't trust the seller actually used a roll sizer on these cases.

To be honest, why sell brass that's been processed anyway unless you want to cater to single stage press users.  Just tumble it and sell it.  Lot of useless work on a seller's part
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
That ridge is a show stopper.  

Total scrap.  It can't even be fixed in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Are those the worst examples, or is the entire lot like that?

They look like full power loads from a Gen 1 Glock. Do not load them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 40 cal in a Gen 1?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much the entire lot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd be ashamed to sell that as anything more than scrap.
View Quote

This, holy crap OP do NOT load any of that. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you!
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I've bought 1000 round lots of 40 S&W brass, same headstamp Winchester. Out of the 1000 rounds I've seen 75-150 cases swelled like the top cases in your picture. The swelled cases were not Glock fired and had a round firing pin indent. Don't know what guns out there that have such oversized chambers?? After sizing with a standard sizing die it does leave the ring like your cases where the sizing die stops. These cases size perfectly with a Redding GR-X push through die and are safe to shoot. Now the case at the bottom of your pic has the "guppy belly" that are definitely unsafe to reload. Scrap them. I don't like the cases that have been regularly sized that leaves the ring. The sizing die actually displaces brass on those and I wouldn't load them. My guns do not swell my reloaded cases but some guns out there do. Also 40 brass I've bought in1000 rd. lots in the past few years I have found 2-3 cases with the "guppy belly" that get scrapped. I inspect every piece of purchased once fired 40 brass. Just saying that in my experience buying once fired 40 brass that your brass is not unusual. Looks like the cases were sized in a regular die and not roll sized?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've bought 1000 round lots of 40 S&W brass, same headstamp Winchester. Out of the 1000 rounds I've seen 75-150 cases swelled like the top cases in your picture. The swelled cases were not Glock fired and had a round firing pin indent. Don't know what guns out there that have such oversized chambers?? After sizing with a standard sizing die it does leave the ring like your cases where the sizing die stops. These cases size perfectly with a Redding GR-X push through die and are safe to shoot. Now the case at the bottom of your pic has the "guppy belly" that are definitely unsafe to reload. Scrap them. I don't like the cases that have been regularly sized that leaves the ring. The sizing die actually displaces brass on those and I wouldn't load them. My guns do not swell my reloaded cases but some guns out there do. Also 40 brass I've bought in1000 rd. lots in the past few years I have found 2-3 cases with the "guppy belly" that get scrapped. I inspect every piece of purchased once fired 40 brass. Just saying that in my experience buying once fired 40 brass that your brass is not unusual. Looks like the cases were sized in a regular die and not roll sized?
View Quote

Thanks for info.  Not going to mess with any of it. Waiting on sellers response for refund or usable brass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I had some cases that looked like that out of a p226 once when using Winchester 231 to make Major PF and trusting my Lyman manual.

That was 10 years ago and I still refuse to shoot the remaining rounds leftover from that misadventure
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A 40 cal in a Gen 1?  
View Quote

Your correct. 40SW glocks were never made with Gen 1 frames. The first G22 and G23 have frames of Gen 2 vintage.

Those cases look like they were either only part way pushed into a sizing die leaving the case only partially sized or the die is bad. No lube was used likely. According to the ad, they were roll sized then FL sized. I call BS.

Here's a short video of roll sizing and there is no way those cases were roll sized. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=roll+sizing+brass&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMvy2Ha1BIdY

Were all the cases like that? I'd ask for a refund if it was more than just a handful like that.

We shoot a lot of 40SW through G2 and G3 G23's with oem barrels and have not had cases bulge very much. We shoot full charge loads too. I always FL size first, then push through size to get the base of the case back to spec.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Please keep us updated to sellers response.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Didn't know that.
View Quote

It's in his feedback history.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#46]
They don’t look like they were roll sized, more like poor set up with regular sizing die.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Those look horrible.

Looks to me like the sizing die was setup off axis so it's basically scraping one side of the brass and sizing it at an angle.

I can't imagine how roll sizing would create that issue.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I've shot 40s&w out of various platforms for 20+ years and over 45,000rds and that brass wasn't damaged by firing it, it was destroyed by processing it somehow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
We have a new person running brass.  I have PM'd the buyer and he is getting a refund.

Honestly have no idea as I have other 40 brass that is fine and I loaded for ammo that do not look like these. Part of me thinks a 9 die was ran on the toolhead partially.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Maybe the sentence got truncated;

Was told it was ready to go.

Was told it was ready to go to the brass recycling station.
View Quote

Ready to go Ka-BOOM.

I've been reloading for a Gen 2 with the original barrel 20+ years and never saw anything like that.  Scrap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top