Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2020 9:14:37 AM EDT
What in the heck is going on that we have a shortage of #11 caps. I mean people are neck bearding black powder supplies?
Maybe I should see if I can get a musket nipple for a traditional single shot pistol I have. Go all musket caps.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Happened after Sandy Hook too.

So far no shortage of flints though LOL

Like all things with shooting don't wait until you need it ......STOCK UP.

I don't neck beard shooting stuff but I supply myself......act accordingly
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
sucks cuz im not into  BP, but I have 1 BP pistol...  that i have never shot and dont have any supplies.  I need to learn, just never got round to it.

I'm in no hurry, but when I was looking at smokeless powder at powder valley for my centerfire pistols, I notice BP stuff was all out of stock.

Honestly, I think the production of BP stuff was switched to deal with the higher demand of smokeless components.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya got ta wrong number.
Not 11s but 10s.
11s fit rifles, 10s fit revolvers.
I have like 6 tins of 11s but fuck all if  I can find 10s.
I have to squish every last 11 to fit.
My preferred cap is Remington brand.
I don't know what an imported cap number is.
I've seen them but like I need another 11 and fucking just some random password number doesn't cut tit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Happened a few years ago too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya got ta wrong number.
Not 11s but 10s.
11s fit rifles, 10s fit revolvers.
I have like 6 tins of 11s but fuck all if  I can find 10s.
I have to squish every last 11 to fit.
My preferred cap is Remington brand.
I don't know what an imported cap number is.
I've seen them but like I need another 11 and fucking just some random password number doesn't cut tit.
View Quote

Number 10s for revolvers' is right. I have a single shot pistol  and it takes the same cap as my muzzle loading shotgun which is 11s.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a thousand  #11s but I need #10s
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've run into the same thing with .209" in-line primers lately - I'm down to my last hundred. I think people see "primer" and they just buy them without thinking.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
#11 caps were on the shelf at my local Walmart today, but I've got more than I could probably ever shoot now.

#10 I would buy if I saw them, they're not stocked much around here since caps are mainly a seasonal item for deer hunters, and they use #11 and 209.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
The current run on all things reloading or shooting is certainly in play.
The Remington bankruptcy may be having an effect as well. I'm assuming the Rem ammunition division made their caps in house. That division was sold to Vista outdoors but I don't know when or if they are up and running.
Vista already owns CCI and Federal.  
That leaves the import RWS as about the only other game in town.  
Can't be a good thing long term for consumers
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like there's always a run on them when hunting season starts. Same with 209s
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I did manage to pick up 2, 100ct tins for $4.99 a tin at Academy Sports today. Need to remember to check more often there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The two walmats close to me had no bp supplies. There is one north about 25 mintues from the house. It sells bp supplies
and they had 3 tins for about $5 a tin. I did get all 3 tins. Now I do not feel the pressure of having to find #11 caps and so I will always leave
one on the rack for the next person. Will check once a month and hope to replace as I use them. I hate becoming a hoarder.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I managed to score two tins of n10 cci caps.
Told the clerk, got any idea how long I have been looking for n10 caps.
She said yeah about 6 months.
I left one on the rack.

But I have prolly 6 tins of 11s.

Ima go out in a bit and blast away at some nasty beer that I have saved and try my new to me 3030.
3030 is a cheapy grade marlin pre safety which I put a bullseye rear sight on.

You Chaps have a good day.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My local Cabela's is stocked to the gills with #10s, #11s, and #11 Magnums as of just this week. I wouldn't have known there was a shortage going on at all.

I'm currently sitting at about 5k #11s and 1.5k #10s. That'll last me at least 4 or 5 years. Caps are cheap enough that you all should consider stocking up a few years' worth too so you don't run into this problem.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My local Cabela's is stocked to the gills with #10s, #11s, and #11 Magnums as of just this week. I wouldn't have known there was a shortage going on at all.

I'm currently sitting at about 5k #11s and 1.5k #10s. That'll last me at least 4 or 5 years. Caps are cheap enough that you all should consider stocking up a few years' worth too so you don't run into this problem.
View Quote

This right here. I picked up plenty of #10's there for $8.99/100. They had most of everything except for FFFF powder

I also ordered some a Lohman arms last Friday. I went to check and the price changed a lot.  $51.99/100.  I guess the black powder craze has hit the internet
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]
No. 11 caps are reasonably easy to find in my area, however, not so much with No. 10's. I bought a set of aftermarket nipples from Track of the Wolf for my Pietta 1858. They are designed for No. 11's so I have one cylinder for No. 10's and another set up for No. 11's.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Midway, RWS #11 caps, $124.99 for 2500. That's the only option, but they got 'em.

Dixie Gun Works has your Remingtons, $30 hazmat fee and limit 2 tins. They also have CCI and RWS, limit 2 of each, I called and you can get 2 of each for a total of 6 tins and add the Godawful $30 to that.

Also, Cabelas has them, my store in Pa is out but they do have mail order.

EDIT: 12-17-2020: I just tried to buy MYSELF some #10 caps, OOS almost everywhere and the couple sources I cited above are about it for any caps. So I bought a set of replacement nipples for #11 caps and 2500 nipples from Midway. Everything's getting scarce.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Bass Pro has stock on Remington #10 caps.

Quoting a post from The Highroad's BP Forum:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/remington-blackpowder-primers?irclickid=U8uXBiwQExyLWk10TWXZ0S3wUkEyPKTH8RYn0A0&irpid=10078&irmpname=Skimbit%20Ltd.&irgwc=1&hvarAID=impact&cm_soc=AFF

"The main photo and description are for 209's (shotgun primers I think?) so it's very deceiving. But on the right side of the screen underneath the price there's a drop-down menu where you can choose 209's OR the Remington 10's. They're $8.99/pack and can have them shipped to the store for pickup (no hazmat fee) or shipped to your house for extra $$$. Navigating to it is also impossible unless you do a search on their site for Remington Primers. It will bring you to the above linked page."

As of this morning the following error pops up:
An error occurred while retrieving inventory status. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your site administrator.

If you're looking for caps keep an eye on this link.

Side note, after all the previous runs on guns & ammo, a few years ago I bought 5000 Remington #10 caps from here:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/muzzleloaders/caps-and-primers

They work perfectly on my Lyman Great Plains rifle and Pietta C&B revolvers. I still have 4000 some left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top