Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2018 3:41:48 AM EDT
Been using a single cam bow for a long time. Have an ancient Bear Grizzly that was a gift that I shoot periodically.  Been thinking of getting a nice takedown recurve. Wife has asked what I want for Christmas,  would like one of them.

What are pretty good ones?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the samick sage with 35lbs and 55lbs arms.  I like it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Been looking at the Samick Sage takedowns.
Need to try and find a dealer local and lay hands on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#3]
I could NOT locate a Sage online.

Then I discovered the OMP Smokey Mtn Hunter actually IS the samic Sage:

Under $100 here

They are the same bow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Archery/comments/2xouzv/omp_smoky_mountain_hunter_vs_samick_sage_same_bow/
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the sage; great beginner bow. Haven’t touched my compound since I started shooting recurve (2 1/2 years)

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Hoyt Satori.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't do samick.

Check out predator bows if you want something a little more traditional.

Hoyt satori is nice and uses ILF limbs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Southwest Archery makes an "Improved Sage" , Spyder. I have one and like it just fine. If you want to jump in hard there are several excellent custom manufacturers. Black Widow,  Bob Lee, and a place down my way, Timberhawk - not quite as well known but I really liked his bows. You'll spend 500-600 for one of his vs $1100 for one of the others I listed. I was going to buy one first of this year but after I got hurt last fall that ended that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
These kind of caught my attention when I was browsing for this thread. They look like the bear/martin profile. I might end up spending some money this morning.
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2180767&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2180767&WT.z_pg_ref=prd712744

I had a bear super kodiak that I loved. I ended up selling it when I enlisted, but I should have kept it. It was a nice shooting and good looking bow for being a mass produced one.

Amazon Product
  • 2-piece riser is made of brown and black Hard-Rock Maple
  • Limbs overlaid with clear maple, backed and faced with high strength black fiberglass
  • Tips are handcrafted and layered with black and white fiberglass

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Super K is a great one piece bow. Never owned one but shot a couple; I would have been fine with one as my only bow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone.  Really great options so far.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been shooting the Sammic sage for about 2years now (20 years on the compound). It’s a great bow, extra limbs are cheap . Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unpleasant:
Don't do samick.

Check out predator bows if you want something a little more traditional.

Hoyt satori is nice and uses ILF limbs.
View Quote
WOW it’s ironic you posted this right after mine. I’m dropping the hammer on a Satori later this morning. I’ll post a range report after I get it broke in .
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#12]
I just picked up a Martin Saber Elite 45lb off Amazon for about $80 and it seems nice so far. Seems certain camp patterns are cheaper than others and there are some good deals if you can live with a particular pattern and the draw weight available. If you go up in price a little the Martin Jaguar seems a little lighter and shorter which is nice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Great options.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the 2nd newest topic in general Archery, and wow this forum is dead, Jim.

Since it's hanging around prominently at the top, I'll start by saying don't get a Sage.  Get a ILF riser and limbs.  I have a Sage and the dimensions of the riser is not that great for modern recurve archery.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
74HC is right, get an ILF riser and ILF limbs, those bows can be easily disassembled and stored. If you get a decent riser you could go whole hog and get Olympic style equipment, Lancaster Archery and from the UK Alternative Services has a ton of options, hard to decide.
Top Top