Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2017 12:48:10 PM EDT
Had my Horton RDX slip a nock yesterday.  I was decocking it with a decocking bolt.  The bolt still launched, but the sound was very strange, and my string is now broken.

So I assume this means no more flat-nocks on decocking bolts.  Lessoned learned.  

So what's next? I have a replacement string and cables ordered.  I don't see any visible damage to the limbs or cams.  What else should I know?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but if you go to crossbownation.com and pose the question I'm sure you'll get the information you want. It's a good source of information concerning all things crossbow too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, if the limbs are damaged the finish will be damaged long before the actual limbs are. Most limbs are fiberglass, and some may have carbon. They have a finish layer on them that will crack long before the actual limbs do (this has happened to me). Most shops will run a cotton ball or something similar over the limbs to see if it snags on anything. If that works, then the limbs are probably fine.

All you can do is visually inspect it and see if it looks and feels OK. To my knowledge there isn't really a way to measure whether a cocked limb is holding the correct amount of energy. If you were extremely paranoid, you could replace the limbs, but that's probably not necessary.

For reference, I always decock using a normal bolt with a bullet tip and my target. Helps keep me accurate, especially if I didn't see anything that day or have an available shot (like most days).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top