Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2019 6:41:52 PM EDT
Hey guys, new here and have a question about if it’s possible to keep my point of impact to sights the same with different heads.

I recently got back into archery, picked up a hoyt compound, set to just a hair over 60lbs with a 29” draw, I’m shooting 250 maxima reds with heat vanes set to 3 degrees.

So far I’m mostly shooting target, probably shoot once every other day or so, but with the season coming up I’d like to branch out and use the bow for hunting this season.

The question is how far off from my field tip zero would say a judo for small stuff or a grim reaper razor cut SS for deer be, presuming all heads are 100gr?    Range would be say out to 40yrds
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience is limited, but I think there are too many variables to predict the answer you seek. I would buy an extra set of each of the heads you are interested in and shoot them at a broadhead target.  Then you will know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IIRC] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 3:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#3]
first step is tuning your bow and arrow combination, assuming spine is correct for your draw weight and length combination.

then I'd do Walk-back tuning with both broad heads and field points.

you may have to go through several different broad heads before you find one that works for your set up and shooting style.

I found that G5 strikers work for me, so that's what I shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top