Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2012 7:33:28 PM EDT
I have a Martin Bengal.  Goes up to 70lb.  I'm a healthy guy so the 55lb is no big deal on the draw and I'd like more umph.  You crank the draw weight up with an allen wrench on the limb bolts.

My question:  So long as I apply the same number of turns on each limb bolt, do I have to mess with the loop, rest, etc.?  It would seem that, because the change is tiny and symmetrical, all should remain well.

Followup question:  Like someone mentioned in another thread, my bow spent a while in undesirable temps.  Specifically, sat in a trunk through a year in Quantico.  Very hot.  It seems to be shooting fine this year though.  Should I be concerned at all with increasing draw weight in that regard?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
if it sat in a hot trunk for a year I'd replace the string and cables, extreme heat doesn't do them any good. Most modern bow limbs should be able to handle the heat but if the bow haswooden limbs I'd be a littlke worried.  As for your other question, depending on how much you up the poundage you might have to make a small adjustment to the rest to get the bow back in tune. Another thing to consider, you need to check and make sure the arrows you're using wil be compatable with a 70lb draw weight. Most bow companies require your arrow to be at least 5gr/lb in order to reduce stress on the bow. That would mean you need a 350gr arrow for a 70lb bow. When you crank the bow up give each bolt the same number of turns and then measure the tiller on each limb to make sure it's the same or adjust one of the bolts slightly to get it the same or as close as possible. Tiller is the distance from the string to where the limb meets the riser.  I've changed the bow weight 3-4lbs before and it didn't make enough difference to the bows tuning, but the sights were slightly off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top