Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2023 9:50:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG]
Title says it all, 2023 backstrap fever has officially begun!

Went out scouting with my cousin yesterday and hung a couple cameras, new cut of public land (to us) looks promising. Found some nice trails, old scrapes, beds, and recent activity near by. We found some public land via OnX and our Moultrie cam apps that has a lot of wetlands/marsh and if you’re willing to push thru and cross a creek it has many acres of oaks and about a 5 acre finger of a soy bean field that’s just littered with tracks. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some trail cam pics up in the next couple of weeks.

I love summer time scouting, it gets me pumped up every year!

Who else is starting to get the itch?

This was our first challenge, pushing thru the shoulder high reeds and cattails and in about 3 to 4" of standing water, I forgot to take a pic but the creek adjacent to the marsh is about 4 feet wide at its narrow point and full of about 1-3’ of cool running water.
Attachment Attached File

Large stand of oaks (lots of acorns growing!), found lots of this..Attachment Attached File

And a highway leading right to the bean field behind me
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
09/02 Elk opener.  It’s gonna be awesome.  We won’t roll in till the 4th tho.  Just too much traffic from the holiday crowd.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Outstanding, thank you for sharing that!

Our elk population is just starting to get back up to speed here in the land of cheese n beer but the WDNR has been able to manage our herd back into a small lottery.

Someday..
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
We will end up with all elk tags being draw some day.
My home unit went to draw this year, I drew without using any pref points.

Used an ATV trailer to drag camp in/out last year.

Attachment Attached File

Beat the hell out of that thing, got something different this year..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Training for the big show.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#5]
I’m pumped.  Bow is dialed. Gear preps continue, workouts too.

I get bored with doing the same exercises, sometimes I climb the rock.  

Attachment Attached File

Not the cliff side tho.  Scramble up the rim.

Attachment Attached File

Get a little upper body work in too.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Vastly different from the hardwoods of WI!

That looks amazing, glad to see there are people here who shoot year round too. I'm on my 3rd year of getting my kids out for some 3D. My daughter is going to surpass me in no time.. but to be fair I'm a recurve guy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked a good part of the state, Western Colo.
Desert in the back yard, mountains an hour away.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Indeed you did! Please keep your season updates going, I'm a sucker for self guided bowhunting.

I should change the title of this thread to "bowhunter's experiences" keep em coming and good luck this season. I look forward to your story!
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a million stories lol.  Sadly, I have yet to arrow an elk since I picked up archery.  So many close calls.
I mostly gave up rifle hunting since I was whacking elk close and wanted a month of hunting.
Still, I try and pull a cow tag for rifle season.  No reason not to, except the weather can be…..harsh.

Attachment Attached File

That’s the wind, eventually pulling my chimney out.  2nd rifle shitshow.

Even archery season can be rough, but I did manage to get 30 yards from a small bull not long after this pic. No good shot.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a new non resident on this bull.  Guy had never seen an elk in the wild.  800 yards from camp.  One arrow, 25 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Getting ready for the 3 day antlered season here in Tennessee. Starts in 33 days with guns, muzzleloaders and archery equipment. Actual archery season starts 62 days from now.

Attachment Attached File

Did some work to my Mathews Switchback. New strings & cables, ditched the peep sight, put in a kisser button, and replaced the 4 pin sights with an EZV sight.

It's time to do some scouting.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Got a new blade.  Hope it gets bloody.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Small enough to tuck in back there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm getting excited for the season.  Bow is all tuned up, with new strings.  I'm going to run a saddle for the first time this year.  Hoping that will be a good change.  Otherwise waiting on a few new arrow shafts to arrive so can get them built up and try a little more weight up front.  It's hard to get with 31.5" arrows
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Today is my best chance at scoring a B list tag.  My either sex archery elk tag is an A list.   We can also hold a B, which will be a cow tag for a rifle season.  
All leftover tags go on sale in an hour, first come/first served.  Probably crash their damn server lol.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:52:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#15]
Almost 2 months after the first cam went out we finally ran across some decent bucks. Still got another month of growth!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
In 30 days I will be on the mountain.  

And I scored a 3rd season rifle cow tag, same area.
No more tipi for November hunts for sure.

I’ll be in here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#17]
🤞 you fill one of those tags.

That’s definitely an upgrade from a tipi, very nice indeed!
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NesralG:
🤞 you fill one of those tags.

That’s definitely an upgrade from a tipi, very nice indeed!
View Quote

I’m all in this year.
This is the water tank that hangs off the wood stove.

Attachment Attached File

Almost cheating.

Attachment Attached File

Hot water, on tap in camp.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBeaverRetriever] [#20]
The weather outlook is looking devious for next week's 3-day velvet season in Tennessee.

Attachment Attached File

Chances of staying in the woods all day from dawn til dusk are slim.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy hot hunt!
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp… my season opener just took a hard 180. Took a nice trip to the urgent care last evening annnd I tore my left gastrocnemius calf muscle. Hurt. Like. Hell and I’m down for 6-8 weeks minimum. So you fellas need to produce so I can live vicariously, at least until October
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#23]
Welp… my season opener just took a hard 180. Took a nice trip to the urgent care last evening annnd I tore my left gastrocnemius calf muscle. Hurt. Like. Hell and I’m down for 6-8 weeks minimum. So you fellas need to produce so I can live vicariously, at least until October
View Quote

Geez man.  I’ll keep you updated.  Elk or not, it is gonna be great!

I always see/hear/smell em, and have called bulls into range, but always something like a limb/tree/cow ruins my chance.
Seen some insane stuff.  300+” bull pissing on himself from 25 yards, but I was not the shooter and only watched it thru the oakbrush.  God help me I love this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Damn dude, get well soon.

TN archery season starts in 25 days - I've got the itch for a new bow and I'm trying to fight it off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#25]
Squib..
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m doing good, been sitting in my reloading room watching THP lol. Thankfully my wife is a saint and keeps me well fed.

In the meantime I’m watching these guys..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#27]
I hauled a few hundred pounds of stuff into base camp.  Mostly stove fuel and drinking water.  Once we move in 9-4 I want to hunt elk, not firewood and water.   I set up water filtration, but it is a time suck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#28]
That’s going to be a nice setup. What do you have for a UTV? It’s getting close to time for the old lady and I to ditch the 4 wheeler and go utv.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#29]
What do ya’ll think.. this the same buck?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#30]
That’s going to be a nice setup. What do you have for a UTV? It’s getting close to time for the old lady and I to ditch the 4 wheeler and go utv.
View Quote

Yamaha Wolverine.  2019.  Been flawless so far, and it goes everywhere.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Well got a doe already this year.  Went to hunt a couple decent 8’s and they have disappeared.  They always came in together and just vanished from the property.  Seems odd.  Going to make a couple fresh scrapes this week and see if I can draw them back.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:46:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#32]
Congrats! Meat in the freezer.

That seems about right. I always seem to be able to find bucks late spring thru summer and then they disappear for 2-5 weeks right up until the rut.

Getting them to show face on camera  at night, easy. Catching them during daytime hours, not so much. Those mature deer stay nocturnal because they're wise.

Hopefully you're able to spot one on his way out to feed. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m heading up for the finish, been up all month and it ends 9/28.
Bent but not broken.  Damn elk everywhere/nowhere.  No bugling yet.  Just ran home for home crap and a hot shower.

Helped a friend get his bull out on 9/4

Attachment Attached File

Eating some fresh fish, and elk from the friend.
Attachment Attached File

That damn water was 61 degrees.  Went swimming anyway.  
Attachment Attached File

Aspens are just starting to turn too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely gorgeous!

Nice brookie, keep ‘em coming and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
8’s have been coming back. Just after shooting light and also in mornings right at light.   Hard to get in there during the morning based on location.  

Going to freshen the scrapes this week and try for Sunday evening.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Dinner pic.  Can of chili, chopped up burger, Mexican pickled veggies.

Attachment Attached File

More fall color too.

Attachment Attached File

Heading back to camp now.  Final push for an elk.

Attachment Attached File

Insert my elk in this pic.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top