Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2024 6:59:22 PM EDT
been bit twice now by wheeler tools , first was i was removing a set screw in a gas block about a year ago and their T-wrench snapped off in the screw , today , i have a Colt Match HBAR i was staring to install the Rock River Arms FF system , got the front sight tree off easy , feeling good , next move onto the barrel nut , broke two pins/teeth off the wheeler armorer wrench, boogered up the teeth on the nut when they let go

anyone else have issues with their tools? i wouldnt recommend them to a enemy
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used their gunsmith screwdriver set personally and in a work environment. Never had any problems with any of the pieces. That being said, I don't think there's a better AR-15 multi -tool than the Real Avid barrel nut combo tool. After doing some consulting for them about 6 years ago, they kindly gifted me a complete Master Armorer's tool set that has been my go to for just about everything I do with ARs. It does have a few weak spots in the total kit but it's 95% GTG.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
ordered the real avid , since it boogered the nut up and the FF tube has a proprietary nut im just going to cut the D ring off and throw a little heat and pipe wrench the nut off
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been happy with the Magpul BEV block and their AR wrench.  For screwdrivers I have an old Pachmayr gunsmith screwdriver set that is over 20 yo.  I have not broke a bit yet.  I don’t see it available any longer.   Not sure what the current go to set is now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have their fat wrench and it  works great.  Wheelers bits are soft tho
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#5]
Wow. I've been using Wheeler tools for decades and have never had a tool related problem when I use them as they were designed to be used.
ymmv I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jnat:
I have their fat wrench and it  works great.  Wheelers bits are soft tho
View Quote

+1 for the Fat Wrench.  I haven't had the same experience with the bits though.

I also like their triggerguard roll pin pusher.  The push pins are aluminum and mushroom a little over time.  A file and a power drill reprofiles them in 30 secs though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have the fat wrench its been working fine so far.  I did watch a video of some guy using the fat stix and hated them the torque limiters would just fall out of the t-handle. He said he is going to return them.  I also use a old DPMS armors wrench.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
i have their inch lb torque wrench for a few years and was not impressed ,does the job though for no more than i use it , but is clunky and heap feeling ,do not have the Fatty screw driver

the T-handle set looked quality ,but caused me a literal nightmare , had a superlative GB , i had it on a rifle about a year or so , was going with a upgraded HG , i had dimpled the barrel and used blue lock tight when initially installed the GB, used the stubby end to break the set screw free and snap, could not get the broken piece out of the set screw , stainless should have given out before a case hardened allen wrench (T-handle) , had to drill ill it using a press and a stubby starter bit , was able to save the gas block , hasnt moved with only one set screw and is hidden with new hand guard but should have never happened , i threw the set in the trash i was so disgusted and bought Craftsman

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#9]
I use the FAT wrench and it's not bad, think I have the scope leveling kit as well and it works just fine. They aren't the best tools but will get the job done and work well enough.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been really disappointed in their roll pin punches.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#12]
bought a set of the Wheeler roll pin punches, all the sizes that are correct for an AR are bent.  they came out of the package new visibly not straight.  

after the first lower and upper assembly, found Squirrel Daddy and bought their starter punch set.  don't think they are selling those any more.  beautiful stainless tools.  

I'll toss the wheeler set after the next time I use it.  pissed me off after gnarfing the receiver on the 6.8 spc build I finished recently.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#13]
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:
been bit twice now by wheeler tools , first was i was removing a set screw in a gas block about a year ago and their T-wrench snapped off in the screw , today , i have a Colt Match HBAR i was staring to install the Rock River Arms FF system , got the front sight tree off easy , feeling good , next move onto the barrel nut , broke two pins/teeth off the wheeler armorer wrench, boogered up the teeth on the nut when they let go

View Quote

You could have had this for $35.00.

https://www.2uniquellc.com/product-page/ar15-m16-barrel-wrench-plate

I would suggest that Wheeler tools are junk and are marketed primarily to the "poors", and beginners, but Im not cause the beginners and poors would pile on and beat me to death.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
If not the Fat Wrench, what recommendation for an inch pound torque wrench?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#15]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

I would suggest that Wheeler tools are junk and are marketed primarily to the "poors", and beginners, but Im not cause the beginners and poors would pile on and beat me to death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's a fair assessment, however I get a kick out of testing lower end tools to see how they perform so I can either recommend or tell enthusiasts to stay away. I prefer to call the "poors" enthusiasts or hobbyists because I don't like calling someone who won't use a tool as much as us and prefer a cheaper entry level option a "poor". That being said, I'd say about half of the Wheeler tools are fine for hobbyists while the rest are junk, the FAT Wrench is one of their better items in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#16]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:
If not the Fat Wrench, what recommendation for an inch pound torque wrench?
View Quote

My favorite kit are made by Fix it Sticks but they aren't cheap...
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#17]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

That's a fair assessment, however I get a kick out of testing lower end tools to see how they perform so I can either recommend or tell enthusiasts to stay away. I prefer to call the "poors" enthusiasts or hobbyists because I don't like calling someone who won't use a tool as much as us and prefer a cheaper entry level option a "poor". That being said, I'd say about half of the Wheeler tools are fine for hobbyists while the rest are junk, the FAT Wrench is one of their better items in my opinion.
View Quote

Stay away from everything Real Avid!

Stay Away from Brownells staking tools for Bolt Carrier Key and Sling loop Rivet Staker.

Stay Away from FCD Castle Nut Wrench.  (there is a reason its in 3rd generation design)

I could go on and on.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they’re a good entry level tool for someone getting into the hobby, but most quickly move on aside from the fat wrench. I use fixit sticks in the field a bunch. I added a Williams stubby handle ratcheting screwdriver bit holder, and a 10-8 plastic tool to my set. For the bench, it’s really hard to beat the TEKTON punch set in walnut block. I have some grace hollow ground screw drivers on my bench also.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking of Tekton above,  I think they make an excellent 1/2” drive torque wrench for the money.   If I remember correctly it’s 10-150ft/lbs. and was only $50.  The tested error percentage is the exact same as my 1/2” drive Snap-On (42-250ft/lbs)  which cost 6 times as much.  The Snap-On is built better,  but unless you’re using it everyday,  the Tekton is perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jnat] [#20]

Stay Away from FCD Castle Nut Wrench.  (there is a reason its in 3rd generation design)

View Quote

I have a hunch that those experiencing problems were using the 2 lug side for final torquing and had the expectation it would hold like a six sided socket…..?

I would agree with your assessment of Real Avid….. having not used any of it
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#21]
Originally Posted By Jnat:

I have a hunch that those experiencing problems were using the 2 lug side for final torquing and had the expectation it would hold like a six sided socket…..?

I would agree with your assessment of Real Avid….. having not used any of it
View Quote

Real Avid looks like Tonka Toy stuff I played with as a kid 60 years ago.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#22]
If you think Wheeler's tools have turned to Chinese crap since American Outdoor Brands bought them (and a lot of other good American companies), wait 'til you try their absolute shiite  customer service.    Everything AOB buys, products and service go to hell.    Like Wheeler action wrenches?   Expect lots of rust, poorly threaded holes, threaded holes still full of rusty, dirty machining debris, holes not fully threaded, bolts with bunged up threads.    I had to clean up all the above on the last couple I bought, plus buy new bolts for them, plus re-tap the thread holes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tspike:
Wow. I've been using Wheeler tools for decades and have never had a tool related problem when I use them as they were designed to be used.
ymmv I suppose.
View Quote
Wheeler has really gopne downhill under AOB.   Typical story in many industries.   Big conglomerate buys up nice little company with great products and customer service.    Soon products, product quality, and customer service go out the window.   It can take MONTHS to get their customer service to respond.    Not just Wheeler; every AOB brand I've experienced.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#24]

Stay away from Wheeler. I tried FAT wrench twice from Academy Sports, yes gave it a 2nd chance, took back both times.

Stay Away from Brownells staking tools for Bolt Carrier Key and Sling loop Rivet Staker.

Stay away from that real expensive PRESENT ARMS junk.

I could go on and on.

View Quote

Lol, I purchased a Brownells Bolt Carrier Key Staking tool 12 years ago before I knew about the Moacks and ended up replacing the garbage staking screws with replacement Moacks screws. That is the worst Brownells brand tool I've used to date by a landslide. I wouldn't try anything Real Avid because the quality appears on par with Little Tykes toddler toys....
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#25]
when did wheeler get bought by American Outdoor Brands?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#26]
Originally Posted By ar556223:
when did wheeler get bought by American Outdoor Brands?
View Quote
I couldn't find that info.
WIKI:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Outdoor_Brands
They own a lot of well-known and once-great brands.   Now, if you have to contact customer support for any of those brands, you're in for a fun ride.   I have personal experience with 3 of them.
I know Wheeler's stuff is all Chinese now.   Probably most or all of the others.
LIST OF SOME OF THE BRANDS:
Caldwell ; Crimson Trace ; Wheeler ; Tipton ; Frankford Arsenal ; Lockdown ; BOG ; Hooyman ; Smith & Wesson  Accessories; M&P  Accessories; Thompson/Center Arms  Accessories; Performance Center  Accessories; Schrade ; Old Timer ; Uncle Henry ; Imperial ; BUBBA ; UST ; LaserLyte ; and MEAT
They are also the SOBs who killed Thompson/Center.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:13:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#27]
Here's a good example of the care and concern Wheeler's Chinese minions put into their craft, on a new action wrench:

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#28]
well got off work yesterday early so i finished installing the Free Float system to the Colt Match HBAR , i got the boogered up barrel nut off last weekend but had such a bad week at work that was all the ambition i had , i dremel cut the D ring off , then as i said i scored the barrel nut with the dremel on opposite sides of the B Nut about half way through, this weakens the nut so when you apply pressure with the pipe wrench it allows the Nut to flex and breaks its bite , and it did exactly that , no reefing , no banging or abuse to the receiver , the moment any pressure started it simply let  go easy peasy

upon inspection , Colt used nut butter on the barrel shank that seats in the receiver , barrel nut threads were dry as a bone  , i ended up getting all the way to 70 ft lbs before timing the B Nut so im guessing Colt had similar torque on theirs which may explain the trouble getting the nut off coupled with lack of anti grease leading to the broken Wheeler wrench

so to the point of the post , if you do not have a Real Avid armourers wrench , get one , they do not rely on pins that do not fit the nut very good , the RA wrench when it slides on the nut there is zero play/wiggle , zero , it engages the B Nut all the way around not just at a few points and when it is on its rock solid and steady ,with this  the D ring does not fight you to keep it in place while you attach the Torque wrench, the shaft is thicker so even the T Wrench is also solid with zero play , from the moment i picked it up it simply put screamed high end quality and the first use confirmed it , with everything fitting so perfect , ie to barrel nut and T wrench it has to be a more precise torque reading

it didnt even wear any B nut finish where as there was always some with the Wheeler

so now the Bushy DCM and the Colt Match are both FF'd , need to get the hooded NM  site kit , and a butt weight for the Colt and they will both be even steven setup wise and ready to pit them up against each other to see which is the better rifle , been buying a couple box's of this and that ,different brands and weights of match ammo for the test
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#29]
my wrench did not even have a 2 lug option , it had a 3 and a 5 , i was using the 3 because for what ever reason i could not get  the 5 pin to fit the barrel nut , the instant any real force was applied it snapped off and when it let go boogered the nut up
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
well aint you special
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Lol, I purchased a Brownells Bolt Carrier Key Staking tool 12 years ago before I knew about the Moacks and ended up replacing the garbage staking screws with replacement Moacks screws. That is the worst Brownells brand tool I've used to date by a landslide. I wouldn't try anything Real Avid because the quality appears on par with Little Tykes toddler toys....
View All Quotes

Stay away from Wheeler. I tried FAT wrench twice from Academy Sports, yes gave it a 2nd chance, took back both times.

Stay away from that real expensive PRESENT ARMS junk.

I could go on and on.

The MOACKs is a better tool but the Brownells one works fine if you blunt the staking screws.  They are too sharp from Brownells and cut rather than push material.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#32]

View All Quotes

Agreed.

I have a wheeler fat wrench I've been using for over 10 yrs with no issues.  

There are definitely crappy tools out there.  It should also be stated that any tool can break given they are used it taxing ways.  However, I think the majority of the tools out there will work just fine if you use them properly.  Higher quality tools will certainly widen the margin for error.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#33]
I got one of their little hammers in a kit and it hammers things like a little hammer does. Roll pin punches in my kit bent. Someone already mentioned the issues with the pins in the trigger guard tool. Anyone know why the fat wrench seems to keep changing what it looks like in the ad pictures?
Even the chamber headspace gauge they made years back was different and radius on the front instead of a cone shape.

When it comes to selecting some kind of handy adjustable torque device it never hurts to look at the accuracy rating of the tool and how it might change the torque value you are shooting for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By j3_:
I got one of their little hammers in a kit and it hammers things like a little hammer does. Roll pin punches in my kit bent. Someone already mentioned the issues with the pins in the trigger guard tool. Anyone know why the fat wrench seems to keep changing what it looks like in the ad pictures?
Even the chamber headspace gauge they made years back was different and radius on the front instead of a cone shape.

When it comes to selecting some kind of handy adjustable torque device it never hurts to look at the accuracy rating of the tool and how it might change the torque value you are shooting for.
View Quote

The RED line on the FAT wrench can also make a 5 inch-pound difference depending on where people are setting it. The one I just tested seemed very accurate. Was kind of surprised to be honest.

Wheeler FAT Wrench (does it escape the fate of my trash can?)

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#35]
It pretty much showed the top of the line is the mark to set it to on my instructions.  Not sure why someone would set it different. The fat wrenches were fat then a year ago I ordered one and what came did not match the ad pic and was slimmer and more black than yellow and now they look like the one you have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#36]
It pretty much showed the top of the line is the mark to set it to on my instructions.  Not sure why someone would set it different. The fat wrenches were fat then a year ago I ordered one and what came did not match the ad pic and was slimmer and more black than yellow and now they look like the one you have.
View Quote

Maybe because new 1 page Instructions don't show it but states to center it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#37]
It does not say to set the torque value mark in the center of the indicator. It says to set the "indicator mark" at the center of the torque value. It just doesn't explain very well that the indicator mark is across the top.

Who made them last year gave pictures. And mention align it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#38]
It does not say to set the torque value mark in the center of the indicator. It says to set the "indicator mark" at the center of the torque value. It just doesn't explain very well that the indicator mark is across the top.

Who made them last year gave pictures. And mention align it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/fatstuff1_JPG-3128439.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Real Avid looks like Tonka Toy stuff I played with as a kid 60 years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/tgSOFiL.jpeg
View Quote

I started our with a Real Avid set. It's actually generally pretty good. The smaller punches were kind of weak and I quickly added a set of Grace punches. Multiple builds and never broke a tool. I've since started acquiring professional smithing tools and equipment as AR building has become pretty pedestrian so I'm toying with more bolt actions. That said, when I need an AR specific tool I still reach for them and they show little signs of stress or use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#40]

The RED line on the FAT wrench can also make a 5 inch-pound difference depending on where people are setting it. The one I just tested seemed very accurate. Was kind of surprised to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyTNbLMAy2w

View All Quotes

Good video as always
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#41]

View Quote
I've always set it using the top of the red bar just because, while I'd like the torque being applied to be exact, I'd sure rather be a few inch-pounds UNDER than over and possibly break a screw and all the trouble that could result from that.

And I will say that my older style Wheeler FAT wrench is a good tool, and I use it all the time.   Their action wrenches and some of their other tools, as well as their customer service, not so much.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top