Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 11:27:37 PM EDT
I just put a law folder on my AR and after all was said and done i found this small piece of spring.  see pic
Only thing i can figure is it is part of the rear takedown detent spring.
Could the takedown spring already have been broken and when i removed the brace this piece fell away ?
Everything seems to be functioning fine.  
Just not sure if this little guy is from somewhere else since i do not know what the F#$@ i am doing.
thank you very much

photo
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an extractor spring from a bolt. Pull your bolt out and see if the extractor has a spring load to it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like an extractor spring from a bolt. Pull your bolt out and see if the extractor has a spring load to it.
View Quote

yes it seems to have its spring in there.
thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Cant see your photo, but I assume its the takedown pin detent spring. Fairly easy to damage when installing endplate if not careful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The worse thing other than a parts kit missing a part... is a parts kit that has one extra part that is not obvious as to what it is!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]
there is def a spring in there and my takedown pin is captured.  wondering if this just fell off the end of the takedown spring when i removed the brace?

yeah, i cannot figure out why the photos comes and goes.
photo
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
You should ask LAW, because if it's not an extractor spring then there is not a spring like that on "normal" ARs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like the same amount of takedown detent spring that is cut off when a 1/8" 4-40 setscrew is installed to hold it in without requiring the sling loop lockplate to hold it in place.
View Quote

that is what i thought when i searched photos.  but there is no set screw or threads etc.  I am going to take the brace off to change the sling mount and when i do i will see if that piece of spring matches the one in there as if it broke off.

thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking at the photo, it looks exactly like the clipped end of a takedown pin detent spring. In the case of a captive detent spring, about 1/8” is clipped off to compensate for the length of the set screw.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top