Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 7:21:24 PM EDT

So I picked up an AR-15 at a local funshow with a Diamondhead VRS Series 3 foreend. Wasn't looking for a railed foreend, but there it was. Anyway, it has great ergos for me so I am warming up to the idea of FF/railed foreends. However, I live in central Texas. Yeah, I know the simple solution is to wear gloves, but is there any kind of wrap, coating, or whatever that will allow bare-handed handling of the rifle that's been in the sun all day?

I am thinking a thick enough coating of tan Ceracoat might keep surface temps down...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Burn Proof Gear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quad rails don’t get any hotter than the rest of the gun. They usually stay cooler when you’re shooting.

I’ve been using quads since’03-‘04, usually in Texas. No problems related to the rail but the climate will try burn everything down about half the year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Plastic rail covers where you grip it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I presume that if the grip isn't too hot to handle then decent rail covers (being polymer) should resolve any issues. I prefer LaRue Index Clips. They are by far the best covers I've ever tried.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I use KAC covers and/or ladders almost exclusively.
Zero problems down here in Georgia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been noticing that both instructors and competitors alike here in AZ, have been using wraps. Sinistral Rifleman from KE Firearms and Rizzo from Independence Training comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Magpul ladders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use KAC covers and/or ladders almost exclusively.
Zero problems down here in Georgia.
View Quote

Same.   They are BLACK, so they will get as hot as anything else made of BLACK Polymer left out in the Texas Sun (like the buttstock, pistol grip or other surfaces) but that is life in Texas.

I've found KAC covers are very effective heat insulators if you are shooting a LOT of rounds to heat up a Quad Rail.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input!

My foreend is not a quadrail, it has a top rail only;

https://www.diamondhead-usa.com/product/vrs-m-lok-handguards-5-56-series-3/

That SHTF Wrap looks like an option.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind wraps will also trap heat too, so try to only wrap it where you're going to need it. (Same for rail covers.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep in mind wraps will also trap heat too, so try to only wrap it where you're going to need it. (Same for rail covers.)
View Quote

Right, this is the catch 22 of covering slots in rails.  The slots allow heat to dissipate.  A glove is the best solution, IMO
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
VFG > wraps, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input!

My foreend is not a quadrail, it has a top rail only;

https://www.diamondhead-usa.com/product/vrs-m-lok-handguards-5-56-series-3/

That SHTF Wrap looks like an option.

View Quote

Buy some of these in the color of your choice and mount them wherever you’ll grip the rail. They snap into the slots and add fairly minimal bulk.

Top Top