Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2022 2:10:37 PM EDT
Have always lightly coated the bolt lugs. Have been reading where that part should stay dry. Thought?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I grease them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer NiB & a light coat of 5w30.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The lugs themselves shouldn't be bothered by a light coat of an appropriate grease. You just want to make sure it doesn't get down to the bolt face.

I will grease bolt action bolts for a smoother lock/unlock. Oil on semis.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Military says wipe down with a light coat of clp.

All the better than mil-spec cherry frog motor oil bearing hot sauce grease lubez packed in there are probably way better though /s..
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grease them.
View Quote

Same
Always have, lightly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been putting lube on my bolt lugs for over a decade and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone who says that any metal part rubbing against another metal part doesn't need lubrication is talking out of their ass.
I'm not an engineer, but on an AR-15 my instincts tell me that the bolt lugs and the cam pin are taking the brunt of any mechanical force present.
I have lightly greased them since 1978 and will always continue to do so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Just oil on mine.  Mobil 1.  Been working for years.

Only guns I use grease on are the M1 Garand and M1A (well, and the SIG 556R but it stays so damn clean in the back the grease is good for a lot of range sessions before I feel the need to wipe it off and reapply.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I lightly grease the back of the lugs, and oil the gas rings.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same
Always have, lightly.
View Quote
Ditto.
Metal on metal contact spot under pressure, it gets greased. Hell, all the contact/movement spots outside my BCG get TW25, and the rings/inside gets a little Slip2k.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Mobil 1 on lugs and other oil points.  If you have a new gun, make it wet.  I see a lot of noobs at the range with their first rifle running dry and they just don't like it.  I carry spare oil.

CLP does not stay in place.  It works fine if you lube before going to the range.  I got tired of pulling a properly lubed rifle off the rack and it looked dry.  It doesn't happen anymore with Mobil 1.

Arfcom magnificent bastards are to credit for this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used grease and different oils very light on the lugs but have been reading that they should be dry so I have a couple I am running dry to see what happens. Both are coated and so far I have seen no wear but time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have used grease and different oils very light on the lugs but have been reading that they should be dry so I have a couple I am running dry to see what happens. Both are coated and so far I have seen no wear but time will tell.
View Quote

The only part that should be run dry is the bolt face and chamber. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been putting lube on my bolt lugs for over a decade and will continue to do so.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
As everyone is saying it's best to lightly grease them, but keep grease/oil off of the bolt face/extractor claw. If a small amount of grease on the lugs causes issues you have bigger problems lol
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top