Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 7:04:45 PM EDT
Now that Mega has been bought out by Zev, how is the guaility? Is a Zev upper and lower going to be as good or better than any other midrange priced lower?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Big old school Mega fan here, there was a thread a few weeks back which had some Zev pics posted.  Based upon casual observations, the Zev did not have the fit and finish of the original Mega.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big old school Mega fan here, there was a thread a few weeks back which had some Zev pics posted.  Based upon casual observations, the Zev did not have the fit and finish of the original Mega.
View Quote
+1
Mega's quality was top notch.  Don't know about Zev, haven't used them.  But I definitely miss the old Mega.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
From what I've seen so far of the "new" Zev AR products, the finish is about the same, but the fit has some issues. I have 2 Zev forged lowers and 1 Zev forged upper. The upper would not fit on either of the two lowers as the lugs were out of spec. Sent back one of the lowers along with the upper and they eventually got everything to fit. Never had these issues when it was Mega.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
+1
Mega's quality was top notch.  Don't know about Zev, haven't used them.  But I definitely miss the old Mega.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
+2
I wish I had bought more.  The forged Megas, and the Rainiers they did are the best IMO.  I was fortunate to SBR a few.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
One new one left on GB;

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792133269

Not my auction.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
there are a bunch of Mega billet lowers out there if you know where to look
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I am very happy with the quality of my Zev. I got a steal on m receiver set .. Are they worth the full retail /list  price? I don't think I can answer that.

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
JSE Surplus has forged Mega uppers and lowers. Apparently manufactured by Mega for JSE. I don't know anything about JSE though, whether they are a reputable company.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
JSE Surplus has forged Mega uppers and lowers. Apparently manufactured by Mega for JSE. I don't know anything about JSE though, whether they are a reputable company.
View Quote
GTG
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anybody happen to know if the JSE/Mega uppers have the anti rotation pin hole like the Mega uppers did?  It's for a pin that interfaces with the wedgelock handguards (and others).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw wedge block uppers on their site yesterday. I bought a few megalithic uppers with billet lowers from JSE they were a distributor for Mega
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
These?  I can't find anything that says it's specifically for wedgelock handguards...

https://www.jsesurplus.com/jsematchedflattopupperreceiverstripped.aspx
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard all of the tooling and most employees stayed when the switch was made and everything should be the same.

Sons of liberty gun works uses their receivers. You could try to contact them and see if they have any from when they were made by mega if you wanted
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a gtr-3h lower that I'm just getting around to building. I wish I could find a matching upper but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Anyone know the closest thing?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a gtr-3h lower that I'm just getting around to building. I wish I could find a matching upper but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Anyone know the closest thing?
View Quote
Yeah, I bought in billet sets when the getting was good. Have a forged and billet in the box. My 4 yr old son has an entire build in a small walmart rubbermaid tub for when he graduates high school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I bought in billet sets when the getting was good. Have a forged and billet in the box. My 4 yr old son has an entire build in a small walmart rubbermaid tub for when he graduates high school.
View Quote
Ill have to scour Google images and see what other uppers look decent on Mega billet lowers. I'm thinking a Wilson combat billet upper might look ok. I'd like to get something without forward assist so it somewhat matches my MATEN reciever set.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this
View Quote
Very tempting but my plan was to use a Geissele MK1 handguard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info. The reason Im asking is when I visited my local gun shop they had both the Zev and Aero  in stock with uppers and the Zev seemed to fit really tight and nice compared to the Aero set.
These were forged by the way. Not too much difference in price. I would think that tight is good right?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Mega forged lowers Here
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mega forged lowers Here
View Quote
Thanks. went ahead and picked one up. After shipping and transfer costs it will be pretty expensive for a forged lower, but with everything going on in WA right now its definitely my last chance to pick one up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks. went ahead and picked one up. After shipping and transfer costs it will be pretty expensive for a forged lower, but with everything going on in WA right now its definitely my last chance to pick one up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mega forged lowers Here
When I heard that Mega was bought out by Zev, I went strait to Rainier Arms and bought a few lowers. They had a ton in stock at the time. Just wish I could find one more forged upper.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I heard that Mega was bought out by Zev, I went strait to Rainier Arms and bought a few lowers. They had a ton in stock at the time. Just wish I could find one more forged upper.
View Quote
Same. The “MEGA” marked ones on the left side. Just need one
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I examined a zev lower, and I thought it was pretty high quality and very consistent with what mega put out. It’s pretty much the same shop just a different owner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mega forged lowers Here
View Quote
Good thing I bought a few from brownells when they blew them out for $80.

Had a coupon for $20 off plus free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same. The “MEGA” marked ones on the left side. Just need one
View Quote
What difference does the marking make, are the unmarked ones different? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lower arrived and everything looks great, This lower is of  later manufacture and is marked Centralia WA, not Tumwater. Only other difference is a slightly different waffle pattern on the front.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#28]
They do, I just assembled a mega wedgelock on one the other day.  Very nice quality as long as you don't mind their logo.

Quoted:
Does anybody happen to know if the JSE/Mega uppers have the anti rotation pin hole like the Mega uppers did?  It's for a pin that interfaces with the wedgelock handguards (and others).
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What difference does the marking make, are the unmarked ones different? Just wondering.
View Quote
Sorry just saw this. Honestly, it’s aesthetic. Have an SBR that’s matched, be nice to have a pistol with matched receivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top