Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2024 12:26:06 PM EDT
been seeing this stuff online and at my local shops, is this stuff decent for HD or for hunting purposes as well? anyone done any ballistic tests on it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard primers that were touch and go in my AR even with a full power hammer spring.  All others worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
As unscientific as it is I bought some to test and so far haven't had any issues.  I'll probably get some more if I see it on sale.

It has fed and went bang every time I've shot it.
It has anchored a few coyotes, no projectiles recovered.  All pass through.
I have saved a fee rounds of it to shoot through a carhartt vest and into gel.  Whenever I get around to it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Grainz] [#4]
It is quite expensive for what it is. And even Hornady said it is only for short range use. It has a G1 BC of .175 for the 55 grain which is garbage in my opinion, 55 grain Vmax has a BC of .255 for comparison. So for me that would be a useful range of less than 100 yards for around 1.00 per round or more in most cases. Most will say well why does it matter when you will not take a SD shot over 100 yards. Because I buy ammo that works in a multitude of situations, not just one. You're better off with Federal Fusion 62 grain or Gold Dot as a multi purpose round. If you have no use for barrier defeating rounds, you will not beat the 77 grain TMK period. I will not speak to M855A1 as its unobtanium aside from gun broker prices at like 2.50-3.00 a round. If you can afford that and are willing to pay the price get some M855A1, it is one hell of a round. If you really want the FTX round I would seek out the 73 grain and forget about the 55 grain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone shot hogs with it or done a Paul Harrell meat target? I know gel is the standard but I like seeing what happens when these rounds hit bone and what their wounds would look like as opposed to just gel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a fan of the critical defense line. The penetration isn’t there as shown in the  videos posted above. Another point mentioned is Hornady sells better defense ammo if you have an sbr the 75gr interlock would be a much better option if you want to stick with hornady. Take a look at Molons work regarding the 62gr gold dot/fusion. Everybody is going to recommend this round because of its terminal properties and it’s quite accurate even more so if you roll your own. There are other options too but can go wrong with 62gr/75gr gold dot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 77Grainz:
It is quite expensive for what it is. And even Hornady said it is only for short range use. It has a G1 BC of .175 for the 55 grain which is garbage in my opinion, 55 grain Vmax has a BC of .255 for comparison. So for me that would be a useful range of less than 100 yards for around 1.00 per round or more in most cases. Most will say well why does it matter when you will not take a SD shot over 100 yards. Because I buy ammo that works in a multitude of situations, not just one. You're better off with Federal Fusion 62 grain or Gold Dot as a multi purpose round. If you have no use for barrier defeating rounds, you will not beat the 77 grain TMK period. I will not speak to M855A1 as its unobtanium aside from gun broker prices at like 2.50-3.00 a round. If you can afford that and are willing to pay the price get some M855A1, it is one hell of a round. If you really want the FTX round I would seek out the 73 grain and forget about the 55 grain.
View Quote

Thank you I picked up 3 boxes, was gonna try one out but figured Itd b ok to have a few different flavors here an there, got em at $23/ box or so locally, also got 6 boxes of the Hornady black 75 gr btjhp, have you any experience with the Hornady black as well?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]

appreciate that, I will check those out for sure. got 3 boxes just because why not, and I went with the 73gr, figured att the price there is no reason to go 55gr.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hyrum-22:
Not a fan of the critical defense line. The penetration isn’t there as shown in the  videos posted above. Another point mentioned is Hornady sells better defense ammo if you have an sbr the 75gr interlock would be a much better option if you want to stick with hornady. Take a look at Molons work regarding the 62gr gold dot/fusion. Everybody is going to recommend this round because of its terminal properties and it’s quite accurate even more so if you roll your own. There are other options too but can go wrong with 62gr/75gr gold dot.
View Quote

Issue is I have yet to find any speer gold dot or similar anywhere. at least that isnt insanely priced.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By elgin25:

Issue is I have yet to find any speer gold dot or similar anywhere. at least that isnt insanely priced.
View Quote

How high on your list of priorities for defense ammunition is the ability to penetrate auto glass? If this isn’t a concern 55gr Gold is on target sports for 5 cents more per round and I would take that over Critical Defense. Federal also offers a 64gr non bonded JSP it’s fantastic for its price and preforms well if barriers are not a concern.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top